Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Only Episode 2 was ever released in EU territories, it came with a DVD of the cut-scenes for the first game. No-one bought it because we didn't get the first game, so they never bothered with the third game.

We didn't get Tales of the Abyss, either. :(

As a fan of Xenosaga, 2 is bad. 2 is basically "well we didn't release the first in EU, and we gotta SPICE THINGS UP, so lets make it have a lovely combat system. Oh wait what do you mean it's so awful we've alienated existing fans!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umlaut
Jan 15, 2009
I can't believe I forgot about SMT: Nocturne (Lucifer's Call in the EU). :doh: I already have Tales of the Abyss on 3DS.

Good to know that Xenosaga II isn't very good. I probably read "Xeno" and turned my brain off.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Umlaut posted:

I never owned a PS2 and finally bought one recently. I'm slightly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of (J)RPGs available and almost bought Unlimited SaGa before reading some reviews. Is it really that bad?

Apart from that I picked up Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII, Dragon Quest VIII, Digital Devil Saga 1&2, Star Ocean 3, Wild Arms 3, Xenosaga II, Valkyrie Profile 2 and Shadow Hearts 2&3. That's probably more than enough games, but they were all so goddamn cheap. I skipped the other Xenosaga parts because they were never released here and Shadow Hearts 1 is more expensive used than a new, recently released game. I guess I'm trying to collect all decent/popular RPGs that aren't either extremely rare or available elsewhere. Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Grandia II and Kingdom Hearts are both fun games that cost barely anything online these days

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Umlaut posted:

I never owned a PS2 and finally bought one recently. I'm slightly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of (J)RPGs available and almost bought Unlimited SaGa before reading some reviews. Is it really that bad?

Apart from that I picked up Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII, Dragon Quest VIII, Digital Devil Saga 1&2, Star Ocean 3, Wild Arms 3, Xenosaga II, Valkyrie Profile 2 and Shadow Hearts 2&3. That's probably more than enough games, but they were all so goddamn cheap. I skipped the other Xenosaga parts because they were never released here and Shadow Hearts 1 is more expensive used than a new, recently released game. I guess I'm trying to collect all decent/popular RPGs that aren't either extremely rare or available elsewhere. Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

PAL region, I'm guessing? Not sure which of these got released there, but you might be interested in Dark Cloud, Disgaea, Disgaea 2, Phantom Brave, La Pucelle, God Hand (might take a while to find a non-pricy copy, and it's more action-y than most RPGs), Growlanser (any of them), Legaia 2: Duel Saga, Makai Kingdom, Metal Saga, Okage: Shadow King, Rogue Galaxy, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 & 4, Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (again, might take a while to find a reasonable copy), Suikoden III, Suikoden IV, Suikoden Tactics, Summoner, Summoner 2, Tsugunai: Atonement, Way of the Samurai 1 & 2 (action-y, and can be a little heavy on the fetch quests, but interesting), Yakuza, and Yakuza 2 (finding a reasonably-priced copy of this one will be the most difficult).

I would recommend selling your copy of Star Ocean 3.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 20, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you want something with a Shin Megami Tensei feel to it, but think that Nocturne isn't really JRPG-y enough, Digital Devil Saga 1&2 are pretty solid choices. They're SMT games, but with a more traditional party-based gameplay and no demon raising. Plus you don't need to put up with friendship speeches every ten goddamn minutes.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I like Xenosaga II, including the combat system. If you can't play the first game, though, I wouldn't bother. Just watching the cutscenes from the first game without actually playing it sounds like a horrible time.

Umlaut
Jan 15, 2009

Darthemed posted:

PAL region, I'm guessing? Not sure which of these got released there, but you might be interested in Dark Cloud, Disgaea, Disgaea 2, Phantom Brave, La Pucelle, God Hand (might take a while to find a non-pricy copy, and it's more action-y than most RPGs), Growlanser (any of them), Legaia 2: Duel Saga, Makai Kingdom, Metal Saga, Okage: Shadow King, Rogue Galaxy, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 & 4, Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (again, might take a while to find a reasonable copy), Suikoden III, Suikoden IV, Suikoden Tactics, Summoner, Summoner 2, Tsugunai: Atonement, Way of the Samurai 1 & 2 (action-y, and can be a little heavy on the fetch quests, but interesting), Yakuza, and Yakuza 2 (finding a reasonably-priced copy of this one will be the most difficult).

I would recommend selling your copy of Star Ocean 3.

Yeah, I'm in the PAL region, forgot to mention that. Also, thanks for the suggestions everyone! It's amazing how many worthwhile games there are on the PS2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Armor-Piercing posted:

I like Xenosaga II, including the combat system. If you can't play the first game, though, I wouldn't bother. Just watching the cutscenes from the first game without actually playing it sounds like a horrible time.

Guess what was a preorder bonus for Xenosaga II?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Umlaut posted:

It's worse.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I remember when I thought Square could do no wrong. :(

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Unlimited Saga is awesome, it just appeals to a very particular taste. The mechanics are incredibly obscure but once you get past that it probably has more in common with D&D or table top games in general. It's also a gorgeous game with an amazing soundtrack. I can totally see how it's not everyone's cup of tea but I'm a big fan.

Some dude on Youtube made like 90 minutes of tutorial videos explaining the denser concepts in the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1brcx4bDoFY

I got a lot more out of the game after watching them.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Or you could play an actually good game that doesn't require homework first.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I bought Unlimited Saga for three bucks a few years back. I was swindled.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Speaking of being swindled by terrible RPGs, just how bad was Lunar: Dragon Song? I've talked to one guy who put it down in half an hour but did anyone stick with it?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
It goes bad to worse. I beat half of it by cheating and even then it was a slog.

Don't waste your time.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

If you love walking (not running, that drains your health!) through dungeons twice, one time collecting items the next time collecting EXP, then Lunar: Dragon Song is for you! But they probably don't let you have games in the mental ward.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

Speaking of being swindled by terrible RPGs, just how bad was Lunar: Dragon Song? I've talked to one guy who put it down in half an hour but did anyone stick with it?
Oh man, Dragon Song was just so, so awful. I didn't even get very far, but... lemme put it this way, you know the first ten minutes of a Dragon Quest game where a Slime can wreck your poo poo until you grind a couple levels? That's Dragon Song, except the entirety of what (little, though definitely more than half an hour) I played.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Speaking of RPGs, apparently enough crazy people signed up for the physical copy of Class of Heroes 2.

Now people can vote on the covers.

http://www.gaijinworks.com/

The only one that looks half-way decent is D. All the other ones makes me twitch.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I like the last option in the poll.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Agnostalgia posted:

I bought Unlimited Saga for three bucks a few years back. I was swindled.

I thought this, but replace Unlimited Saga with Magna Carta. God that made me mad. Then they actually made a second game!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I thought this, but replace Unlimited Saga with Magna Carta. God that made me mad. Then they actually made a second game!

The second game is actually a lot better.

Also, the PC game is SO much better than all of them... Too bad it's stuck in translation hell. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

I finished it

It ranks amongst the worst JRPGs I ever played and I would never ever play it again under any circumstances. It does everything wrong. It doesn't even have the folksy charm of the other Lunar games.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I noticed earlier today that Spiderweb Software announced Avadon 2: The Corruption for Fall 2013. They always release the Mac version before the PC version, and there'll even be an iPad version.

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon2/index.html

I greatly enjoyed the first Avadon, so I thought someone else might be interested.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What about Silver Star Harmony? Any reason to give up my emulator speedup button to play that on PSP instead of just firing up the Playstation version?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

dis astranagant posted:

I like the last option in the poll.

Whenever Atlus or other companies would hold polls like this, the objectively worst cover would always win.

Spiderweb Software is amazing. I loved Avadon so this is gonna own. I finally started playing the Geneforge games recently too.

You should definitely play Lunar: Dragon Song. You can learn a lot from it the same way you learn more about film making from watching a bad movie than a good one. Finish this game and you can probably design the next Xenoblade.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I meant the gently caress them all just send a blank piece of paper and some crayons one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

dis astranagant posted:

I meant the gently caress them all just send a blank piece of paper and some crayons one.

The PSP game is all around great imo. It does a great job of retaining the feel and tone of the originals while being better in every other way.

THAT said, if you're like already halfway through a game or something don't worry about it.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Daler Mehndi posted:

I noticed earlier today that Spiderweb Software announced Avadon 2: The Corruption for Fall 2013. They always release the Mac version before the PC version, and there'll even be an iPad version.

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon2/index.html

I greatly enjoyed the first Avadon, so I thought someone else might be interested.

:woop: This is awesome.

It sucked that they went to do that one Exile remake after Avadon 1 instead of going straight for this game because Avadon felt much more interesting after playing nothing but tons of Exiles / Avernums. I mean goddamn Jeff, let those Exiles rest already.

They're stating fall 2013 for both Mac and PC, wonder if that'll hold. Hasn't it usually been more like fall for Mac and early next year for PC?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Sooo I just played a game called Crimson Shroud.

I dig the art direction and, Matsuno is just, my favorite human being when it comes to video games, but aside from that I don't really have many good things to say about it. Admittingly Matsuno's writing is a big part of the game (although this entry into his portfolio seemed rather weak, honestly. I think he is better suited to giant political struggles and not....dungeon crawls....)

The biggest problem is that there's way too much random chance involved. I know that it's a jrpg, but random chance is such an awful game mechanic and having to actually roll the virtual dice makes it all the more unbearable. And the game doesn't really evolve in any way as your characters get stronger. The optimal strategy is always apply buffs/debuffs and attack.

also, a design choice I have not seen in 80000 years, having to get plot-related items necessary to advancing the game forward from random mob drops. and it's not even hinted that you are supposed to do this.

On the other hand, the 3d effect on the 3DS actually looks really good and it's only eight dollars!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's supposed to be more boardgame than rpg.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

board game? like monopoly? my understanding that it was supposed to draw very heavily from d&d and be a tabletop game in that sense, but it really isn't unless you count the aesthetics, since all characters are literally game pieces, because you never make any choices. the gm is a railroading rear end in a top hat!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Like 90 percent of GMs. Still a fun romp though.:v:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

What about Silver Star Harmony? Any reason to give up my emulator speedup button to play that on PSP instead of just firing up the Playstation version?

The graphics are nicer, the script is the same minus a few dated pop-culture jokes, but the load times are absolutely brutal. Stick with what you've got, I'd say.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wendell posted:

The graphics are nicer, the script is the same minus a few dated pop-culture jokes, but the load times are absolutely brutal. Stick with what you've got, I'd say.

Pretty much this. What makes the loading times even more jarring is that the music will cut out every time a new area loads, so when you're in town for example, the music cuts out during the few seconds it takes for the game to load a house you just entered, and then again when you leave. It's annoying as hell.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

It's probably been talked about somewhere in the thread, but do yall have any thoughts on The Last Remnant? It's 5 dollars right now on Amazon, but I'm wondering if it's even worth touching.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I enjoyed it, it was good. But double check that it's the superior PC version that you're getting.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Kevlar Beard posted:

It's probably been talked about somewhere in the thread, but do yall have any thoughts on The Last Remnant? It's 5 dollars right now on Amazon, but I'm wondering if it's even worth touching.

Really hard, but a good challenge. As said, make sure it's the PC version.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kevlar Beard posted:

Ever play Final Fantasy 8? If you can deal with enemy leveling that's at least that bad then it's alright. If you like to feel like you're actually making progress instead of just treading in place then I'd save the money.

\/\/\/ No, the scaling is still there, it's just not quite as bad. Enough to nip any impression that you're actually getting stronger right in the bud, though.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 25, 2013

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Ever play Final Fantasy 8? If you can deal with enemy leveling that's at least that bad then it's alright. If you like to feel like you're actually making progress instead of just treading in place then I'd save the money.

This was one of the things that's fixed in the PC version. The 360 version has ridiculously aggressive enemy scaling.

Edit: Did the person who gave you that custom title actually think it painted you in a bad light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Well, 25 hours in and I'm officially bored of Resonance of Fate. I hit a sidequest that requires item farming and farming is very tedious on this battle system.