Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Seagal didn't click for me until I read Run the Jewels' discussion of his career.

El-P posted:

The thing about Steven Seagal is that he clearly wants to be a great person, but he just doesn’t know how. He’s just a cruel, hosed-up guy, but he likes to paint himself as sort of like a philanthropist, in a way, and a man of the people.

He's like if Homelander was a c-list action movie star. And despite being a total psychopath, Seagal believes that he's some sort of spiritual samurai poet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLe_BZ1mo3I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The ebook Seagalogy is well worth picking up if you see it on sale on Amazon; it stops before he gets to his super late straight-to-dtv trash career nadir but it still has a good summation of early-good to later-bad Seagal movies.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagalogy-rear end-Kicking-Steven-Seagal-Updated-ebook

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

The podcast Behind The Bastards did an incredible pair of episodes about Steven Segal and his various rape allegations. They're entitled 'Steven Segal is So Much Worse Than You'd Ever Imagine.

https://www.stitcher.com/show/behind-the-bastards/episode/part-one-steven-seagal-is-so-much-worse-than-youd-ever-imagine-56744261

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
This video is the only Steven Seagal I need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNWDKeiZ9vc

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The ebook Seagalogy is well worth picking up if you see it on sale on Amazon; it stops before he gets to his super late straight-to-dtv trash career nadir but it still has a good summation of early-good to later-bad Seagal movies.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagalogy-rear end-Kicking-Steven-Seagal-Updated-ebook

This book was kinda formative to me. I still have my physical copy from when it came out. Vern does a great job of treating the idea sincerely while also pointing out all the ridiculous aspects of Seagal and his movies.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I remember getting My Tank Is Fight! and Seagalogy ages ago for my birthday.

Both pretty enjoyable.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Dangerous Person posted:

This video is the only Steven Seagal I need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNWDKeiZ9vc

I forget which of them it was (before Under Siege the all kind of run together in my head) but his one liner when he killed the bad guy was "That was for my wife, now gently caress you and die" always stuck with me as a pretty good line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbT77fP8fl4

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Under Siege is a perfect example of how Seagal seemingly refused to have a fight scene with someone that could actually, you know, fight. The only thing Tommy Lee Jones does to defend himself at the end is wear a leather jacket.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That story about Seagal coming out of his trailer, comes up to Rob Schneider
Steven: "I just read the most beautiful script ever," he says tearfully
Rob: "Oh? Who wrote it?"
Steven: "I did."

He is almost on the Frank Dux level of delusion. The fact that he picks a new nationality to be every 15 years and makes up a whole image around that is ridiculous. I lived and grew up in Jefferson Parish, and I still can't believe he was walking around in my city talking ebonics and wearing a du-rag and telling our lovely cops that he has supervision that can detect crimes (read: black people).

I remember him telling Arsenio Hall he was Italian, and how he had mob ties. This is after he was Japanese. Then he became African American when he started making movies with Ja Rule and DMX and used a horrible Aunt Jemama rear end racist accent. Now he's Russian, and tells everyone his family was born down the road at that little Russian village just there.

Him lying about teaching Anderson Silva a frontkick that won a big fight.

"Asian Experience" flavored energy drinks.

The fact that he somehow thinks making the title of his movie 3 single syllable words is a good luck charm that will return his waist and hair line.

I will say this: he can actually shoot. He's actually a really good shot.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 13, 2021

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's funny because any script written or co-written by Seagal is incomprehensible. Just complete word salad nonsense about drug dealers and feds.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Firstborn posted:

That story about Seagal coming out of his trailer, comes up to Rob Schneider
Steven: "I just read the most beautiful script ever," he says tearfully
Rob: "Oh? Who wrote it?"
Steven: "I did."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Firstborn posted:

He is almost on the Frank Dux level of delusion. The fact that he picks a new nationality to be every 15 years and makes up a whole image around that is ridiculous. I lived and grew up in Jefferson Parish, and I still can't believe he was walking around in my city talking ebonics and wearing a du-rag and telling our lovely cops that he has supervision that can detect crimes (read: black people).

I remember him telling Arsenio Hall he was Italian, and how he had mob ties. This is after he was Japanese. Then he became African American when he started making movies with Ja Rule and DMX and used a horrible Aunt Jemama rear end racist accent. Now he's Russian, and tells everyone his family was born down the road at that little Russian village just there.

He was Native American a few years ago, and did a whole cultural tour of native communities.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He's gonna be Korean next now that K-Pop is in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I believe he also claims to be the reincarnation of a lama.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

muscles like this! posted:

In his case though, he means an actual Llama, with a fleecy white coat.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Honestly, at this point I could hear any Chuck-Norris-meme style story about dirtbaggery, and I would believe Segal had actually done it.

Like he attempted to citizens arrest the Aunt Jemima company for putting crack in their syrup because "There's no reason for the syrup to be this delicious". And while he was there, he called everyone the N-word because he thought it was a family company.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

In his case though, he means an actual Llama, with a fleecy white coat.

Yeah - "spitting, kicking and neck wrestling are part of my culture!"

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Aphrodite posted:

He was Native American a few years ago, and did a whole cultural tour of native communities.

I forgot that! I remember the jackets he wore now in this era:

1:52 here for how he decided to present himself in Jefferson Parish.
You ever wanted to hear him say "stuntin" like the Big Tymers?

As I understood it he was given some honorary deputy badge for something completely unrelated to being a LEO (like he got some lovely version of a doctor of letters), and then he started to retcon himself into a sharpshooter who taught the whole force how to shoot. Then he got in trouble because he wasn't supposed to be making arrests with that honorary status. gently caress JP cops btw. ACAB anyway, but I had that instilled as a young man there.

They once pulled me over and searched between the patties of a hamburger I had just purchased in the car for drugs. I was 18.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 13, 2021

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Seagal also is a serial rapist and likely human trafficker. A pure scumbag of a person.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Frank Dux pretending that he had CIA body doubles, and this actual current interview you are speaking to him now, he may just be a body double in order to not have to take any responsibility for what is being said is a level above before you get into world records, underground fight club to the death, dim mak death touch, and his horrible stolen valor military career.

I'm fascinated by martial arts frauds in that era right around before the internet really started being a thing where people just went on tv and told everyone they are ninjas but don't want to prove it because they'd have to kill you. You couldn't check poo poo, so yeah, I'm an italian mobster who taught the navy seals how to fight, and why yes I did know Bruce Lee, how did you know

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you go further back there was "Count Dante" aka John Keehan who founded the Black Dragon Fighting Society in Chicago during the 60s. He was one of the figures in the Dojo War of 1970 where rival schools would brawl over territory.

If you've ever read an old comic book from that era you've probably seen a picture of Count Dante because he bought a lot of ad space for his martial arts pamphlet promoting himself as "The Deadliest Man Alive."

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Dux called his line of bullshit Black Dragon for a while and even claimed to know Dante (Dante mentioned the dim mak in this ads), and then Count Dante's extremely weeb descendant litigated him over the name. So apparently there's still some badass Cobra Kai satan worshipping karate dojo out there named Black Dragon, so that kind of owns. iirc the descendant wore his ancestral katana wherever he went, because of course he did.

We could probably talk about George Dillion, too, but we're coming dangerously close to just reminiscing about ThePinkman's YT channel

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Firstborn posted:

ThePinkman's YT channel

Aw man. :(

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I can't get enough of this

https://twitter.com/cozycozy16_cozy/status/1349340993112338432

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
e: wrong thread

penance:

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 13, 2021

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

e: wrong thread

penance:

Wow Bobcat getting way more poster space for that movie than John Cusack.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Firstborn posted:

I will say this: he can actually shoot. He's actually a really good shot.

Tell that one guy’s dog.

https://www.eonline.com/news/261470/did-steven-seagal-kill-a-dog-during-a-cockfight-bust

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
FYI, the excellent podcast Our Fake History just started a series on the history of martial arts hucksters and it's very good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Billy Gnosis posted:

Wow Bobcat getting way more poster space for that movie than John Cusack.

The 80s, man. Why he was so popular I will never know.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, standup was pretty dire at the time. Bobcat wasn't objectively great, but he was way better than most mainstream comics and better than a lot of alt ones. He's generally had a decent perspective even if his comedy wasn't exactly razor sharp. Plus he was utilized very poorly in most stuff he was cast in.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

AFewBricksShy posted:

I forget which of them it was (before Under Siege the all kind of run together in my head) but his one liner when he killed the bad guy was "That was for my wife, now gently caress you and die" always stuck with me as a pretty good line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbT77fP8fl4

I love how quick he gets the line out, like they only had budget for that one take

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i haven't heard young seagal speak for long enough that his voice surprised me

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
It always amused me that all these hardcore Italian/WASP-y gangs always had a Filipino enforcer like Jeff Imada or Dan Inosanto around for some reason.

But also gently caress Seagal that rapist, wife beating piece of poo poo. He should be boiled in oil and have his fat sold for soap.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, standup was pretty dire at the time. Bobcat wasn't objectively great, but he was way better than most mainstream comics and better than a lot of alt ones. He's generally had a decent perspective even if his comedy wasn't exactly razor sharp. Plus he was utilized very poorly in most stuff he was cast in.

Also as the poster indicates, he was in Police Academy. Which- was also inexplicably popular.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
More piling on Steven Segal... He drove a police tank into a house and killed a puppy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/08/31/actor-steven-seagal-sued-for-driving-tank-into-arizona-home-killing-puppy/

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also as the poster indicates, he was in Police Academy. Which- was also inexplicably popular.

The trajectory of the Police Academy movies always amused me. The first one is your standard raunchy late 70s/early 80s comedy with a solid R rating. It does well so I guess they wanted more...kids to see it? Because the first sequel was PG-13, and then every one after that was PG with humor aimed at ten year olds. With the exception of the Blue Oyster Bar scenes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another thing about Police Academy movies is how fast they cranked them out. From 1984 to 1989 there was a Police Academy movie released each year. It was a similar situation with the Friday the 13th franchise where from 1980 to 1989 they put out 8 movies, they only skipped 1983 and 1987.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Most of the people in the Police Academy movies had literally nothing else to do, so they were always available for the next one. I think the only people that still had a career afterwards are Bobcat and G.W. Bailey. Oh, and Leslie Easterbrook does a lot of horror movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Most of the people in the Police Academy movies had literally nothing else to do, so they were always available for the next one. I think the only people that still had a career afterwards are Bobcat and G.W. Bailey. Oh, and Leslie Easterbrook does a lot of horror movies.

Guttenberg did pretty well for himself after that. I mean, not like A-lister or anything but he still got plenty of movie work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I forgot about Guttenberg. He actually dropped out of the series after part 4 to do Three Men and a Baby, which made a metric buttload of money, so good for him.