Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Bombogenesis posted:

Don't do this to me GW. I was out. I WAS OUT. :negative:

Nobody is ever truly out. Nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

FiestaNinja posted:

So looking at the comic again I've found an image of a space marine with no clothes on that I though you'd all enjoy:

Good old Brother Cloten!

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Pendent posted:

Nobody is ever truly out. Nobody.

Guess it's time to buy some sentinels. :saddowns:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Some notes from 40k's Facebook posts today:

Warhammer 40,000 on Facebook posted:

- challenge rules are gone from the fight phase, but the restriction on hitting lone characters is only in the shooting phase, so expect to still see mighty heroes taking chunks out of each other in the fight phase.

- No more independent characters magically intercepting an entire armies shooting on their tiny stormshield.

- It's certainly still beneficial to have your units accompanied by Characters, but the days of units benefitting from special abilities from heroes outside their faction is gone, and generally, it is harder to keep both the unit, and character totally safe from harm, which has been an issue in the past.

- Why would that mean you can't have Command Squads? You can totally still have Command Squads. There are absolutely still Command Squads.

- you can't hide in Melee.

- Like all Warhammer 40,000 units, Tyrant Guard will get new rules, including some that might just help them keep the big guy alive if he's nearby...

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Rapid Fire 2 sounds demented in the best possible way.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I hope after a good round of these, the chaos guy comes back to cough up more details. This Focus was heads and shoulders above his.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Seriously wait until the new edition drops and the full verdict is out before dropping money on this stuff. I don't think the faction posts are indicative of anything else than nuGW having learned how to do basic marketing. A lof of the changes do sound nice, but they wouldn't say anything else since they're a company trying to hype their new product:

PLAYER: "Will X be good in the new edition?"

GW: "Yes, X will be good in the new edition."

I'm going to continue painting the things I already have (Space Clowns are almost done) and after that I'll wait and see.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
From what i have seen on napkin, Tyrant Guard are now Nid Commissars. When any shots are directed at the Hive Tyrant they immediately make D6 rapid fire attacks at the nearest Tyranid unit. Then resolve the shots taken at the Hive Tyrant as normal.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Also...

Warhammer 40,000 on Facebook posted:

- If you want something "tanky" in Warhammer 40,000, you should put your units in a tank.

- Also, we've yet to cover how things like Drop Pods work in the new game (we will, don't worry.)
In practice, all armies will have ways to protect their characters.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

I hope after a good round of these, the chaos guy comes back to cough up more details. This Focus was heads and shoulders above his.

Someone pointed out that the Chaos article was bad, and this was the reply:

Games Workshop posted:

"The Chaos article was a little light compared to this one on the juicy details, so we'll use Rubric Marines when we look at Datasheets later in the week. How's that?"

Also if rumors are to be believed, the big releases this year will be Space Marines, Chaos, and AdMech

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
That sounds like a fair compromise. Rubric Marines are bound to have some fun rules to show off.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

If you want something "tanky" in Warhammer 40,000, you should put your units in a tank.

Rekety rekt Tyranids

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Mango Polo posted:

Rekety rekt Tyranids

There's enough room in the Tervigon for everyone, don't worry.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Holy cow I thought rough riders were gonna be squatted. I guess I gotta finish the ones I've been building for like 3 years now.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

The Bee posted:

Now I'm imagining a very constipated Tervigon trying to poo poo out a Carnifex

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Bee posted:

It's so warm and squishy :kimchi:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FiestaNinja posted:

So looking at the comic again I've found an image of a space marine with no clothes on that I thought you'd all enjoy:

Those are some weird rear end tan lines.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Toughness 8, 12 Wound, +3 Save Leman Russes...

Well, that's enough to get me to unbox my Imperial Guard from Storage. After the wet fart of 7th edition and the endless formation nonsense, I almost never thought I'd see my guard again.

I'm almost kind of hyped now.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Those are some weird rear end tan lines.

:ssh: thats all under his skin.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Geoff Zahn posted:

Now I'm imagining a very constipated Tervigon trying to poo poo out a Carnifex

Tell me more about your fetish

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I don't know if there's ever been a faster turnaround between me making a joke and me regretting a joke.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Maybe the snake will start to eat its tail and the nid's will get nydus worms as a cheap option.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Just give Trygons rules to act like nydus worms. Then maybe I'd actually use one for once instead of a Mawloc.

e below: Yeah I mean rules a human being would actually want to use.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

But Trygons already have (incredibly lovely) nydus rules?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Canada has fallen to Khorne worship

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Apparently the Characters preview has now caused the Heralds of Ruin folk to start accusing GW of stealing their ideas. I knew there was gonna be some good drama coming out of this edition but I didn't expect it to come from there of all places.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DO IT TO IT posted:

Just give Trygons rules to act like nydus worms. Then maybe I'd actually use one for once instead of a Mawloc.

e below: Yeah I mean rules a human being would actually want to use.
I love just how shittily designed the Trygon's tunneling rules are. They're the most inefficient delivery system.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Some notes from 40k's Facebook posts today:

quote:

- challenge rules are gone from the fight phase

Thank gently caress. I hated challenges.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

Apparently the Characters preview has now caused the Heralds of Ruin folk to start accusing GW of stealing their ideas. I knew there was gonna be some good drama coming out of this edition but I didn't expect it to come from there of all places.

Do you have a link? That sounds like some fun reading.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Pendent posted:

Do you have a link? That sounds like some fun reading.

It's in a closed FB group, but you can request to join here.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I liked the idea of challenges, just not the execution. Especially since I play Chaos.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The way they talk suggests that challenges are a thing that may still exist in some form. I assume it will just be Character specific abilities.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Munchables posted:

Holy poo poo they look so rad, were there models???

There sure were! I've been using them as Chaos Cultists in a small allied detachment:

(OK technically the last one is a converted Inquisitor scale figure but he's part of the force)

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

PantsOptional posted:

If GW steals ideas from Heralds of Ruin Kill Team rules, that would be good. It's the only way of playing 7th without being frustrated.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

jadebullet posted:

I liked the idea of challenges, just not the execution. Especially since I play Chaos.

It always felt too fantasy-esque to me. I like Chaos getting boosts for killing characters, but hated the random table we got and also being required to do it all the time. Hell, so many units don't even have characters in them that I can count on one hand the number of times those challenge rules were actually useful for me.

I'm glad it's going away.

Soulfucker posted:

If GW steals ideas from Heralds of Ruin Kill Team rules, that would be good. It's the only way of playing 7th without being frustrated.

:agreed:, though It's kind of hilarious to get pissed that a company "stole" rules from the custom house ruleset you made for their game

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Especially something as generic as an AOE effect.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

:agreed:, though It's kind of hilarious to get pissed that a company "stole" rules from the custom house ruleset you made for their game

Yeaaaaaah it is. There's this weird cult in modern times that thinks you can be like the "ideas guy" and make millions off just your clever idea. And so along with that, you're automatically owed if somebody does something you came up with first. Like, yeah, sure, if you actually build or invent something amazing or patent it or take it to market, you can totally make a killing, or draw it or paint it or sculpt it or whatever; but you don't make poo poo just for having an idea, and most companies have plenty of people with ideas already and aren't even remotely interested in an "ideas guy".

Plus all games steal from other games that came before them, and all artist steal from other artists ideas and... yeah. :rant:

Soulfucker posted:

But yeah agreed to this generally.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

The way they talk suggests that challenges are a thing that may still exist in some form. I assume it will just be Character specific abilities.

Or probably just the same way AoS deals with characters.

They're a separate unit and you choose which unit to attack in melee.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I wonder how they'll differentiate between the various models of Terminator armour now they're dumping the Invulnarable save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

GW posted:

"Really big heroes, like Magnus the Red, will still need to brave enemy fire, but with, in his case, over a dozen Wounds and a respectable invulnerable save, he holds his own just fine."

They aren't. The main question we have is what form it'll take, however.

• Locked thread