Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I'll bite, I've stared at it for like a minute and can't see anything wrong with it. What's your problem with the effects?

The brief shot of it firing toward the end of the clip looks like something that was done on the TOS-R budget, especially the beams. Most of the other CG looks pretty good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Masks is Joe Menosky's work, isn't it? It's got to be. Might actually be his weakest outing if so. (And like everyone's saying, jam-packed with unrealized potential.)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
High concept weirdness that may or may not work on screen is Joe Menosky’s schtick

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Exactly why I'm guessing it's one of his.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bennyfactor posted:

The brief shot of it firing toward the end of the clip looks like something that was done on the TOS-R budget, especially the beams. Most of the other CG looks pretty good, though.

There's only so much you can do with those sort of designs, they're antithetical to the things that look best using CGI.

Also why modern designs are often crappier stylistically, because they're designed knowing they will be CGI. Lots of the spiky angular stuff you get on Eaves inspired designs would be really hard to do if you had to physically build the models.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

skasion posted:

Rome but a bit futurey is all romulans have ever been. The real sin is that romulans are still so boring and don’t do anything remotely interesting with “space romans”, which is a great idea even if you just rip off actual history. Trek writers can’t even be bothered to do that and just default to “they’re mean and their ships are invisible” most of the time.

I have seen so many trek episodes in my life and I had no idea that romulans had anything to do with Rome. In Hindsight, it seems like it should be obvious from their name alone but I just took it as scifi race name. AFAIK Romulans were literally just Vulcans with meaner eyebrows. A brief look at wikipedia and it seems even the shows creators never had much of a good idea of what to do with them and just change poo poo almost every time they show up.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i am sure somebody has made a Big List about all the times trek was Rome But In Space. i am sure it was a long rear end list

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Have any real Romans ever appeared in Trek? There’s Romulans and Planet Rome but everyone there is conveniently original characters. Caesar gets name dropped a lot alongside his fellow tyrants Hitler and Barglon of Antares-9, but I can’t remember him ever actually turning up. Smh if Amelia Earhart made it on the show before him

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

Have any real Romans ever appeared in Trek? There’s Romulans and Planet Rome but everyone there is conveniently original characters. Caesar gets name dropped a lot alongside his fellow tyrants Hitler and Barglon of Antares-9, but I can’t remember him ever actually turning up. Smh if Amelia Earhart made it on the show before him

Apollo? :v:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

A mere Hellene. Let’s get some true Romans in here

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

skasion posted:

A mere Hellene. Let’s get some true Romans in here

Norm!!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Masks is Joe Menosky's work, isn't it? It's got to be. Might actually be his weakest outing if so. (And like everyone's saying, jam-packed with unrealized potential.)

Yeah, I think it was Fifty Year Mission where one of the writers said something like "Menosky came back with this script and we were all wondering what the hell kind of drugs he was taking while he was on vacation"

skasion posted:

Almost owned myself by asking "which Planet Rome?" when I remembered that Plato's Stepchildren was a Planet Greece.

That said, maybe Flint from Requiem for Methuselah?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Attention Bajoran Workers

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

skasion posted:

Do the Mirror Universe Terrans count? :v:

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Senor Tron posted:

There's only so much you can do with those sort of designs, they're antithetical to the things that look best using CGI.

Also why modern designs are often crappier stylistically, because they're designed knowing they will be CGI. Lots of the spiky angular stuff you get on Eaves inspired designs would be really hard to do if you had to physically build the models.

CGI can look like literally anything. Really the question is why have they chosen to keep it looking like TOS when all they have to do to make it not that is add some surface detail and light it properly. Even though I hate how Disco looks I do at least have to give it credit for throwing out the idea that the tos ships are any kind of "visual canon", versus mirror universe Enterprise that gave us forgettable crewmember #3 gasping at how advanced a row of blinking lights was.

Basically they should hire me to control the look of everything because my opinions are correct and the best.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Since we got pages of speculation out of a still shot from Lower Decks, how about the fact that people are predicting Chakotay briefly appears and gets killed by the Borg in Picard off of this screenshot from the trailer:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Grand Fromage posted:

He's also in his D uniform so I'm guessing dream.
It cuts to Picard waking up so it's that for sure.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Since we got pages of speculation out of a still shot from Lower Decks, how about the fact that people are predicting Chakotay briefly appears and gets killed by the Borg in Picard off of this screenshot from the trailer:

I know hair dye exists, but Robert Beltran is completely gray these days and...a bit larger.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Beltran probably fought super hard for this

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Beltran probably fought super hard for this

A-coochie-no-more-a

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Star Trek: Picard: Every Episode We're Going to Kill Off An Older Character

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
In the final episode Ensign Gomez rounds a corner and accidentally spills hot chocolate on Picard again and He loving Vaporizes Her.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

In the final episode Ensign Gomez rounds a corner and accidentally spills hot chocolate on Picard again and He loving Vaporizes Her.

Is she in the Harry Kim "somebody has to be the ensign" club?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I hope Ro Laren is in this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Bloop posted:

I hope Ro Laren is in this
She is and they kill her off

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm a little baffled by how much people obsess over Ro since isn't she in like... seven episodes? I guess that's a lot for a recurring character.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Ro was fairly complex and sympathetic for a minor-ish recurring character. Plus Michelle Forbes is a good actor and she’s nice to look at

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
She had more of a relationship with Picard than many of the regulars

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

She was a more interesting character than most of the regulars. She had an interesting backstory and actually had some conflict with other crew members :piss:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

HD DAD posted:

Ro was fairly complex and sympathetic for a minor-ish recurring character. Plus Michelle Forbes is a good actor and she’s nice to look at

She was delightfully bonkers on True Blood

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Snow Cone Capone posted:

She was delightfully bonkers on True Blood

Her most bizarre appearance to me was the 30 seconds she appeared on Lost.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I remember the season she was on ‘24’ and some villain threw her down the stairs

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

HD DAD posted:

Ro was fairly complex and sympathetic for a minor-ish recurring character.

She was created to be the main cast Bajoran on DS9, but Forbes turned it down and they created Kira instead.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MrL_JaKiri posted:

She was created to be the main cast Bajoran on DS9, but Forbes turned it down and they created Kira instead.

I always got the impression she was initially introduced as “replacement Wesley” after he left the previous season, and then was roped into DS9 (which she turned down), but I could be way wrong on that

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'd watch "TNG but replace every instance of Wesley being a whiny baby with Ro telling everyone to gently caress off"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ro was added because Berman and Piller wanted an edgy and disagreeable recurring character to spice up the show a bit. More like a replacement for Pulaski than for Wesley.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I remember the season she was on ‘24’ and some villain threw her down the stairs

Was it that or Alias where she gets kidnapped by some bad guys who break her fingers and then ask her to make a thing and she's like "how do you expect me to make thing when you broke my fingers numbnuts"?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'd watch "TNG but replace every instance of Wesley being a whiny baby with Ro telling everyone to gently caress off"

I think the highlight of this would be Tasha Yar giving the "just say no to drugs" speech to Ro instead of to Wesley. :allears:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Just say no to space drugs is probably good advice though. There's gotta be a dangerous poo poo out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

She was a great horrific fascist war criminal on Battlestar Galactica too.