Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

I don't listen to Sunn o))))) at home at all

Sort your life out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
The only place I can really listen to stuff real loud is in my car with my super awesome aftermarket stereo system. When I'm at home I have to play my terrible music at lower volumes so as not to scare/aggravate my wife and daughter, unless of course they are not home.

My 5 year old daughter even makes it hard for me to play guitar in her presence. She cuts me off at the amp. :(

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Yeah I mean I can't have my speakers loud at home either because roommate, which is why I mostly have on headphones for music.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

So about the band Blown Out:
I've not heard of them before :stare: and now I'm getting acquainted after a friend's recommendation. This is good. Instrumental as far as I can tell. file under psych/stoner/doom. Apparently a dude from Bong is in it and someone from 11 Paranoias.

Edit: Forgot the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atlKu7aHGnY

Uhhh thanks for this, somebody got their vinyl ordered!

And the Bong dude's Mike Vest. Dude's been getting around.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Woah Goatsnake in DC in a few weeks. Caught me totally off guard, I know a few DMV people post in here so heads up.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have brick walls and a door gasket. Can play poo poo as loud as I want through my monitors + sub and it barely reaches the room on the other side of the wall.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Listening to Sunn O))) on headphones sounds like a good way to permanently deafen yourself.

If only volume control existed

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

nerve posted:

Do you not own headphones
Sunn is definitely speaker music for me. I wanna feel it, not just pump it straight into my ears. And yes I was joking, I'm not an inconsiderate rear end. Thankfully my housemates are out a lot of the times I'm in so I get to fill my room with noise every so often, whether it's music I hear about from here or playing guitar (or both).

I do wonder what kind of direction this LP's gone in, though. The later records are a lot more nuanced and steeped in atmosphere than the early releases which aren't trying to be anything more than walls of heavy drones. I guess I'll be happy either way?

Adawait
Sep 10, 2004

Two straight days with awesome Scandinavian tour news. Yesterday Black Sabbath was announced to headline Copenhell 2016. Today one of my favorite bands Greenleaf announced that they'll support Clutch on their dates here in December. I'm happy!

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Is anyone going to either the Kylesa show or Ghost in Orlando next week (maybe both)? I've got tickets to both shows, but I need a ride and would rather avoid taking a cab or Uber. I can pay with beer.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

don't listen to sun o on headphones you are missing out on part of it at least put it on in your car if you don't own actual equipment

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Sunn O))) is one of those bands you just need to see live I think. But if you're going to listen at home then yeah, it has to be loud enough that you can't hear the neighbours banging at the door to complain.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
They're amazing live but their albums just put me to sleep.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dyna Soar posted:

They're amazing live but their albums just put me to sleep.

They're great for falling asleep. I also like harsh noise at low volume for that.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
What's the most metal King Crimson album

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The rear end Stooge posted:

What's the most metal King Crimson album

Red.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
As promised a week ago, my doom project has dropped a single from our upcoming album, which will be available on Halloween. The song is based on the movie It Follows and was written after an Electric Wizard show, which is pretty apparent in the sound, I think. I play bass and do harsh vocals. The single is not mastered--that's happening later this month--but it sounds good. Here's our Bandcamp:
http://fleshofthestars.bandcamp.com/track/8-mile-swimming-pool-burial

To give you some background on the band: This project is our frontman Matt's baby, but I'm the only one whose background includes a lot of metal listening, so when this was in its embryonic stage I was basically in charge of telling him what to listen to in order to really gain an understanding of this kind of music, and I've basically been a "consultant" on what works and what doesn't work from a metalhead's perspective. The last thing Matt wanted it to sound like was a bunch of indie kids trying metal out. We also don't all live in the same state. Matt and I live in Chicago, Mike (lead guitar, other singer) lives in Columbus, Ohio and Nico (drums) goes to school in Kent, Ohio. So a lot of this was done over google drive or recorded in different places. Despite all of that, we're very pleased with how it turned out. We'll be talking about horror movies on our Facebook page until the album comes out. Let me know what you think.

Sorry if this comes off as really spammy, het, I'm just pumped to get this out there.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
i think it owns and it reminds me of monolord especially the vocals. liked your facebook and downloaded the song

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Kylsea is like the worst kind of numetal why does anyone in this thread like it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Laserface posted:

Kylsea is like the worst kind of numetal why does anyone in this thread like it

If you don't like Static Tensions then you're a big nerd

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Kylesa owns, although the male vocalist is meh in a big way.

The new album sounds alright, definitely continuing the path they've been going on the last 5 years. That's good or bad depending on who you ask.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I thought this was pretty cool, shows a lot of how everything thinks Sunn O))) is better live, as the volume is so high the physical feeling of the sound is part of the experience.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Kvlt! posted:

I thought this was pretty cool, shows a lot of how everything thinks Sunn O))) is better live, as the volume is so high the physical feeling of the sound is part of the experience.

In Seattle in 2009 they did 2 shows, one with Attila and one as a 2 piece doing the early stuff/Grimmrobe. Saw the latter :getin:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you don't like Static Tensions then you're a big nerd

I'm a big nerd AND I like the first 4 albums a whole lot. The newer albums are also very good, just less good. I haven't listened to the newest one enough yet.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone recommend some doom that incorporates post-rock into it similar to what Bongripper did on Hippie Killer?

You might want to give Wiht a try. They haven't released much but they've recently reformed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pz9chUZgVM

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Just a heads up that Monster Magnet's re-imagining of Mastermind, renamed "Cobras and Fire", is actually pretty drat good. It's probably the first time I've heard a re-recording of an album that is plainly superior to the original in every way.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

So about the band Blown Out:
I've not heard of them before :stare: and now I'm getting acquainted after a friend's recommendation. This is good. Instrumental as far as I can tell. file under psych/stoner/doom. Apparently a dude from Bong is in it and someone from 11 Paranoias.

Edit: Forgot the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atlKu7aHGnY

This is great. Thanks.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8B4BdAs0h4

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
New Belzebong is being sold on tour so it's online now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-agJ7C5VKFU

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

ElectricWizard posted:

Just a heads up that Monster Magnet's re-imagining of Mastermind, renamed "Cobras and Fire", is actually pretty drat good. It's probably the first time I've heard a re-recording of an album that is plainly superior to the original in every way.

Is it like their re-recording of Last Patrol? Because both of those owned. And is it out yet?

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

brucio posted:

Is it like their re-recording of Last Patrol? Because both of those owned. And is it out yet?

Yes, and yes.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Can't wait for a redone Spine of God

not

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

OpaqueEcho posted:

This might be what you're looking for. Cries of Dying Stars and Earth are standout tracks.

https://belowthesundoom.bandcamp.com/releases

I likey, thanks! As someone mentioned on their bandcamp page: Below the Sun = Ahab in space.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Windhand might be samey as poo poo but drat if Kingfisher doesn't tickle my tonebone.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Giant Squid broke up, which is a huge bummer but totally understandable because they made no money and have families.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Giant Squid broke up, which is a huge bummer but totally understandable because they made no money and have families.

aw they were one of my favorite new recommendations from this thread

I'm spinning the new Graveyard right now, Innocence & Decadence... it's great, like always from these guys. If you like bluesy/psychedelic hard rock this is right up your alley

complete with replica vinyl cd!

got a pretty cool shirt with it too

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I have always "kind of liked" Graveyard but this is a little different. This sounds like there's more high end/depth/space compared to the more overdriven lo-fi sounding previous recordings. I think it compliments them and the music well. Plus the album cover is rad.

I've been meaning to mention how the last Colour Haze album kind of bummed me out. Anyone else have thoughts about it? I feel meh about it and haven't taken the time to figure out why.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Has anyone seen Ufomammut live lately? I could potentially see them tomorrow night if I get out of work early enough ...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Has anyone seen Ufomammut live lately? I could potentially see them tomorrow night if I get out of work early enough ...

They were pretty dope back in May

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

They were pretty dope back in May

This.