Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
All of you guys complaining about hero cards and "better cards win" I can only assume don't play tcgs irl.

Hero cards really aren't that great and I think y'all are overvaluing weather.

Hero cards have "Shroud", they're immune to spell effects. The problem is, they're also immune to your own spell effects. So you can't horn them, you can't decoy them out, and you can't bring them back with a healer. Yes, I'd rather play a 5 power vanilla hero than a 5 power vanilla creature, but I'd rather run a 7-8 power vanilla creature than a 5-6 hero.

Weather could be good in the right situation, but it isn't amazing. Likewise, clear weather also sucks. I took out all clear weather cards, don't run clear weather Foltest, 2x biting frost, 1x fog, 0x rain. So far I beat every Gwent challenger on the first try, except Baron took me 2.

Good mechanics/cards:
Decoy- Best card in the game. Very versatile. Can save your guys, steal spies, double healer value.
Spies- Carry 2x counter weather effect based on what row your spies take up.
Muster- Lets you make massive creature decks, mull muster dupes.
Horn- Should net you 15 points of power when you use it, but could go huge.
Death- There's a reason why removal is highly drafted in every tcg.

Above average mechanics/cards:
Healer- Yes, it brings back guys which is great, but you aren't getting full value if you use them in game 1. Yes your deck should have healers, but not too many, you also need things to bring back with healers. And since you can't bring back heroes, you need some normal creatures.
Heroes- Explained above.
Lords- The +1/+1 creatures. I'd use this rather than clear weather on the row, and he delivers added value if you're building a deck a specific way. The siege guy you get in Northern starter is a trap.

Situational mechanics/cards:
Teamwork or whatever- Will need to run a creature light deck to ensure you get at least 2 of your buddies. Only put these in if their power is 4+ and you have 3x copies.
Weather- Against monsters or Scoia'tael you can go big, but since it hurts your team it can backfire hard. I'd carry a few to counter your spies, but weather is really a sideboard card. (No one maindecks Hurricane). And it could also be a dead card.

lovely mechanics/cards (newbie traps):
Sword/Bow placement- Too situational, it provides veratility you don't actually need.
Clear weather- Dead card unless they play a weather spell. And personally I'd rather horn that row instead of clear the weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Phoix posted:

Has anyone found the Killer Whale potion formula yet? Exploring some parts of Skellige seems impossible without it.

I think I got it Novigrad from one of the herbalists. I think.

Edit: I think I got it from a halfling one too.

I definitely didn't get it in Skellige because I haven't been there yet.
VVVVVV

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Phoix posted:

Has anyone found the Killer Whale potion formula yet? Exploring some parts of Skellige seems impossible without it.

I found it on one of Yennefer's quests. Fittingly it's underwater.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This is actually a pretty decent post and it's good to see some advice laid out like that. It might even convince me to pick up a cripplingpleasant Gwent habit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

I don't remember much of TW2, but isn't Letho the bad guy from the beginning? Why are they bros? Also, that quest is p good.

Letho is a bad guy for being on Nilfgaard's side inasmuch as Geralt is a good guy for being on the Northern Kingdoms' side. Geralt isn't so much a northern patriot as a personal enemy of the the emperor since he's the adoptive father of the emperor's biological daughter. Letho isn't so much a Nilfgaardian patriot as a Witcher whose school fell on hard times and whom the Emperor promised a rebuilt Viper School and legal tolerance for Witchers if he'd just go collect a few crowned heads.

The point is they're both ostensibly neutral and fight for personal reasons rather than political reasons. Letho and Geralt were actually buds at one point.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I'm really early in the game (I think). Just finished the first Ciri gameplay. Where can I get some new weapons? I'm still using the starting silver sword and a long sword from the first area.

Is there any stat increase on level up?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

You know.. I just got around to crafting masterwork ursine armor. ...

What in the loving hell was the art team thinking?

I visit a master loving crafts woman whose better than everyone else yet my armor... Brand new from the Forge is half covered in rust. Why!?

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Daric posted:

Letho got duped by the Sorceress's.

He wasn't really a bad guy.

Other way around, actually. Letho was manipulating the sorceresses (well, Sile in particular) from the start -- the Lodge hired him to kill Demavend, and as soon as that was done he used the resources and contacts (Iorveth and the Scoia'tiel) they provided him with to launch a regicide spree and pin the entire thing on the Lodge, all in order to weaken the northern kingdoms for the Empire's invasion.

Letho is a pretty bad guy in the sense that he's an immoral, unrepentant assassin. He's not bad to Geralt on a personal level, though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I went back to finish the Baron quest, and I'm trying to find his wife and the quest says "inestigate all remaining leads in Velen" but I don't have any quest markers or any idea where to go. Not sure if it's a bug or I'm supposed to read something or what.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

causticBeet posted:

I'm really early in the game (I think). Just finished the first Ciri gameplay. Where can I get some new weapons? I'm still using the starting silver sword and a long sword from the first area.

Is there any stat increase on level up?

The first area of the game (White Orchard) has diagrams for the Viper Steel and Silver swords. Next level of equipment up from that are the Griffin set which you can find by either just wondering around or search online for a map of where the stuff is.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

NESguerilla posted:

I went back to finish the Baron quest, and I'm trying to find his wife and the quest says "inestigate all remaining leads in Velen" but I don't have any quest markers or any idea where to go. Not sure if it's a bug or I'm supposed to read something or what.

It's not a bug. Continue the main quest in Velen and the other leads will eventually turn up.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
The sword is apparently still in play during an execution move. I assumed executions were only invulnerable animations that were cool to look at (but useless otherwise) but during a straight-through-the-belly-impalement execution, a second guy charged and skewered himself to death on my sword as it burst through the back of the first guy. Metal as gently caress.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Varam posted:

It's not a bug. Continue the main quest in Velen and the other leads will eventually turn up.

Ah yeah. Just found it on google and it means the leads to Ciri. The text is sort of misleading.

Edit: Even activating the main quest doesn't give any markers. Not sure where I'm supposed to go here.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 26, 2015

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How does loot work? I got a yellow sword which was neat, but then I had trouble turning my horse and got savaged by a level 1 feral muskrat or something so I reloaded (I'm still early on, food is pricey). When I opened the chest, it had a blue sword. The next two times it was also blue, and then it was just a normal white sword.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I haven't even finished the baron quest line and I already have found tons of relic silver and metal swords.

Currently I'm using a metal sword I bought from a scavenger called Mourner with a kickass hilt.

And a magic silver cutlass with a gold hilt that I got from a glowing skeleton in a boat on a riverbed. :black101:

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
So I've been playing the game for a couple of hours now, some observations:

It feels like no game before it, it might just be me not playing RPGs, but it is really well written and I really "connect" with the world.
It looks awesome, riding Roach into a valley and looking to the other side with no pop-in is great.
The monsters are cool, especially that really high level monsters roam the countryside and it is up to you to engage them or not. I like this freedom.
Geralt is cool.

Combat is hard, the lockon is useless because Geralt will always go after the enemy that is locked on even though he is on the other side of the map ignoring all the other enemies.
Does parrying work? I always get stunned and have never pulled off a successful parry, now I just dodge.
Walking is sometimes loving retarded, making me not be too adventurous because Geralt has glass ankles and dies too easily.
Information overload.... Potions, decoctions etc etc. it is a lot to soak in.... Count me in not knowing I had to equip my upgrades..... Here is was wondering why my Sun and Stars was not working......

I like it though, I am already afraid of the amount of time this will take......

Oh and white orchard is heaven compared to the warzone that is Velen.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah regarding Lock On: Does anyone use it aside from 1v1 encounters? It seems way too finnicky, and doesnt allow you to quickly select new targets. I totally ignored it most of the time.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Ah yeah. Just found it on google and it means the leads to Ciri. The text is sort of misleading.

Edit: Even activating the main quest doesn't give any markers. Not sure where I'm supposed to go here.

There should be another part of the main quest available in Velen, something about witches

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The Skellige Islands have alot of sci-fi themed quest names and characters...

I just got a Quest Stranger In a Strange Land, met a Djenge Fett who is a bounty hunter

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
Oh hey, Shani shout-out. Wasn't expecting that after she was basically retconned in TW2. I hated her but it's still nice to see all these little winks to the fans.

e: Lock-on switches great with a waggle of the controller thumbstick. I use it in multi-opponent fistfights or when I'm choking enemies into a smaller space and just keep swapping to whichever one looks likely to attack next.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

I don't remember much of TW2, but isn't Letho the bad guy from the beginning? Why are they bros? Also, that quest is p good.

It's a circle of duping.
The Sorceresses were hoping to dupe him because he looks eminently dupeable. Letho was duping them by working for Emhyr in the hope that Nilfgaard would open a new witcher's school (there are no active witcher's schools in the game). Emhyr was duping Letho because he's loving Emhyr and of course he was. God I got the wrong ending.

As to how they're all buddy buddy, Letho helps Geralt track down the Wild Hunt after they steal Yennefer and then takes care of Yennefer (for a bit, really until he gets tired of it because she's super duper moody) after Geralt does the good ol' "TAKE ME INSTEAD!".

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah regarding Lock On: Does anyone use it aside from 1v1 encounters? It seems way too finnicky, and doesnt allow you to quickly select new targets. I totally ignored it most of the time.

By accident, repeatedly. Or if there are archers I desperately need to get rid of before I get absolutely boned.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Information overload.... Potions, decoctions etc etc. it is a lot to soak in.... Count me in not knowing I had to equip my upgrades..... Here is was wondering why my Sun and Stars was not working......

If you think there's an information overload, just wait until you start getting into the lore and backstory. If you're new the Witcher it is significantly more daunting than Skyrim or Dragon Age, although mostly due to characters in the latters case.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 26, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

theDOWmustflow posted:

The sword is apparently still in play during an execution move. I assumed executions were only invulnerable animations that were cool to look at (but useless otherwise) but during a straight-through-the-belly-impalement execution, a second guy charged and skewered himself to death on my sword as it burst through the back of the first guy. Metal as gently caress.

:stare: that's cool as hell :black101:

Dandywalken posted:

Ignore it. You kind-of soft-lock onto things when you're just 1v1; any time you can see their health bar above their head without using lock-on, that's what you're targeting. So if you hit grenade or crossbow you'll throw/shoot directly at them.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Varam posted:

Letho is a pretty bad guy in the sense that he's an immoral, unrepentant assassin. He's not bad... on a personal level, though.

So he's a Witcher.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
There are 2 main types of Gwent decks you can build, power and attrition.

The power deck is like Blitzkrieg. You go in fast and you go in hard. Healers, teamwork, muster, you try to dump as much power on the field as you can so the opponent can't outmatch you.

The attrition deck in my experience has a higher chance of winning. With attrition, your life total is the amount of cards in your hand. Spies, Decoy, these are the cards of attrition. The idea is to delay the game as long as you can. Decoy lets you take 3 turns to play 2 cards. Using your hero ability lets you take 1 turn without using any cards. Spies let you take 3 turns with 1 card. Since your opponent needs to play a card every turn or pass for the entire round, you control the matches.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

NESguerilla posted:

You have to do the quests relating to the swamp and the crones. I believe those in turn depend on the local witch's quests, so if you haven't investigated her yet, take care of that.

Notice that with quests that have multiple sub-objectives you can choose which one to track, and sometimes the game defaults to a really unhelpful and vague sub-objective. Don't remember if that's in play here but check and see if the journal entries suggest anything more specific to do.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Novigrad main story spoilers: Why would anyone let Whoreson Junior live? What a piece of poo poo. Did anyone here do that?

Edit: Also what's with the breakable wall in his wine cellar. Is that just an alternate way in?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Varam posted:

Other way around, actually. Letho was manipulating the sorceresses (well, Sile in particular) from the start -- the Lodge hired him to kill Demavend, and as soon as that was done he used the resources and contacts (Iorveth and the Scoia'tiel) they provided him with to launch a regicide spree and pin the entire thing on the Lodge, all in order to weaken the northern kingdoms for the Empire's invasion.

Letho is a pretty bad guy in the sense that he's an immoral, unrepentant assassin. He's not bad to Geralt on a personal level, though.

One of the things I like about the game is the theme of clashing ideas of morality. The Northern Kingdoms and by extension Geralt embrace a messy consequentialist view of morality in which there is a constant negotiation between the ends and the means. Northerners tend to accept doing the wrong thing for the right reason. Laws are sidestepped and eyes are turned away for the sake of a more pleasant outcome or simple expedience. Over the long term this results in a messy society in which things sort of shamble on with everyone making do with their lot in life.

Nilfgaard has an ontological view of morality in which right action is an end to itself. Right action is always right and wrong action is always wrong, regardless of its outcome. Nilfgaardians are unmoved by arguments about the undesirable consequences of right action. In the short run this makes them inflexible and ruthless, but in the long run Nilfgaardian society is much more orderly and eliminates some of the grinding misery of people stuck in the nonsensical compromises of the Northern system.

From the Northern perspective the Nilfgaardians are heartless and insufferably inflexible; from the Nilfgaardian perspective the North is hopelessly backwards and uncouth. It's easy to see how people disgusted with the moral quagmire of the North would defect to Nilfgaardian civilization with its bright lines between right and wrong. It's equally easy to see how people disgusted with enforcing the inflexible unfairness of Nilfgaardian society would defect to the North's relatively human and merciful point of view.

Letho expresses admiration for Nilfgaard; its order and culture and splendor. Foltest, Demavend, Henselt and Radovid are many things but from the Nilfgaardian perspective they're all squalid, petty, barbarous rulers fit only for the gallows. Foltest is the best of the lot and he hosed his sister. Demavend was a drunk, Henselt a war criminal, and Radovid a cruel and petty tyrant. They are all guilty of Wrong Action for their station; all pathetic in comparison to Emhyr; Emhyr acts like an Emperor, and from the Nilfgaardian perspective that is the most important judge of moral superiority. Letho sort of signs onto the Nilfgaardian perspective in his "northern kingdoms suck, nilfgaard is cool, killing kings is awesome" monologue at the end of Witcher 2.

You can't really argue with him that all of the northern rulers were terrible people who probably deserved what they got, and for Nilfgaard's view of morality that's enough. End of story, they sucked and Nilfgaard wrecked them, good job everyone high fives all around.

The counterargument is from the Geralt's consequentialist point of view: yes, Foltest and Demavend were bad people, but restarting the war between Nilfgaard and the North will have terrible consequences. Tens of thousands will die as a result of the war and the Nilfgaardian conquest of Aedirn and Temeria which is virtually certain by the end of Witcher 2. To Geralt, Letho's actions are immoral because of their consequences, not because he has any objection in principle to killing kings.

The Nilfgaardian counter-counter argument is that in the long run Temeria and Aedirn will benefit from Nilfgaardian rule. All this Wrong Action that engenders so much misery (and it's hard to argue that the North isn't full of misery) will be corrected into Right Action, and the North will be better-off with Nilfgaardian law and order and civilization and so on.

So is Letho immoral? From the Nilfgaardian perspective, no. He's not only morally right to kill bad kings, he's a hero. Serving the Empire is Right Action; killing bad men is Right Action. Good job Letho!

From the Northern perspective, yes Letho is an immoral figure. His actions precipitate a humanitarian disaster. And yet Northern morality is flexible enough to say "You know what, gently caress it, killing Letho isn't going to put Foltest's head back on his shoulders, I'm leaving."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Psiharis posted:

You have to do the quests relating to the swamp and the crones. I believe those in turn depend on the local witch's quests, so if you haven't investigated her yet, take care of that.

Notice that with quests that have multiple sub-objectives you can choose which one to track, and sometimes the game defaults to a really unhelpful and vague sub-objective. Don't remember if that's in play here but check and see if the journal entries suggest anything more specific to do.

It's interesting that it even lets you activate stuff you can't really do yet without giving you a warning. I kind of like the freedom it implies, but realistically in a game this size I'm not going to just run into anything like that on my own.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Went to Codger's Quarry. poo poo happened, but I got an schematic out of it. And now everyone is hostile when I get back.

Did I do anything wrong or are they supposed to be bandits?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

It's interesting that it even lets you activate stuff you can't really do yet without giving you a warning. I kind of like the freedom it implies, but realistically in a game this size I'm not going to just run into anything like that on my own.

Funnily enough, I literally stumbled into the next part on my own whilst doing side-quests.

On another note: Watching my gf play on easy mode is hilarious. That fist fight outside the first inn? She instagibs one guy with a flying knee, then takes the other two out simultaneously with one hook.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 367 days!
Was poking around skellige and I found the corpse of birna brand, strung up on one of the rocks in the water north of Sund. It had been a week, so she was very dead. Now I wonder if you can bolt over there right away and set her free

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nasgate posted:

Funnily enough, I literally stumbled into the next part on my own whilst doing side-quests.

On another note: Watching my gf play on easy mode is hilarious. That fist fight outside the first inn? She instagibs one guy with a flying knee, then takes the other two out simultaneously with one hook.

I'm playing on whatever the second hardest difficulty is, and at the moment it's a properly challenging, non-nut-smashing level of difficulty. I have every intention of dialling it down to Just the Story for my second playthrough and watching limbs fly everywhere with nothing to prove.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

wesley snypes posted:

Was poking around skellige and I found the corpse of birna brand, strung up on one of the rocks in the water north of Sund. It had been a week, so she was very dead. Now I wonder if you can bolt over there right away and set her free

On a similar note. I ran into a seemingly random cutscene with 2 people getting burned at the stake in the main city and wondered if it was related to something I didn't do earlier. It was super odd because 1. there was no option to diffuse the situation and 2. Their character models looked very distinct and non generic for something that appears for 2 seconds. I'm thinking I hosed something up, unless it was just a setup for some quest line I'm going to run into later. It was all very abrupt for this game.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Sankis posted:

Novigrad main story spoilers: Why would anyone let Whoreson Junior live? What a piece of poo poo. Did anyone here do that?

Edit: Also what's with the breakable wall in his wine cellar. Is that just an alternate way in?

he said he was sorry. What more could you want?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

NESguerilla posted:

On a similar note. I ran into a seemingly random cutscene with 2 people getting burned at the stake in the main city and wondered if it was related to something I didn't do earlier. It was super odd because 1. there was no option to diffuse the situation and 2. Their character models looked very distinct and non generic for something that appears for 2 seconds. I'm thinking I hosed something up, unless it was just a setup for some quest line I'm going to run into later. It was all very abrupt for this game.

It's not random - the main quest that sends you to meet Triss is called 'pyres of Novigrad'. Those burnings are a result of the lodge of sorceresses' actions in the second game, it's not tied to your actions in this game, don't worry. The character models are distinct because these were prominent people, but they're not relevant to the story beyond their death.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

grimcreaper posted:

he said he was sorry. What more could you want?

#bornagain

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

I'll ask again because it seems to have be eaten up by voracious posters : anyone have any images of the superior/masterwork griffin and f e line armors? I can't find them anywhere.

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.
Anyone know if there is a list out there of which quests cause other quests to automatically fail?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Can't find any quicksilver solution for the life of me even though I already have one? Nothing I have will dismantle into one and I can't find a merchant who sells it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Tokubetsu posted:

Can't find any quicksilver solution for the life of me even though I already have one? Nothing I have will dismantle into one and I can't find a merchant who sells it.

There's one in the lair of the Werewolf from the Wild at Heart quest early on. That might be the one you already have. I seem to recall getting another one during the main quest in Skellige which would make sense because it involves the same type of creature.