Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waffleman_ posted:

There's literally already two of them where you play as a lawyer and solve mysteries

Exactly! Just make the main character hornier and we're all set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean...having a Daredevil game be half Ace Attorney and half action would probably gently caress actually so yeah

Actually what if less Ace Attorney and more LA Noir. During cross examination you listen to their heartbeats to determine when they are lying, but you have to figure out what they are lying about. If you go down the wrong line of questioning, you are forced by the judge to stop and potentially hamper your case.

One big problem I can see right away: for anyone looking for a fun action game, breaking that up with, frankly, boring courtroom drama is not exactly going to satisfy that craving. Matt Murdock: Unethical Lawyer Simulator is probably more of a standalone game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, look at the response to the MJ and Miles sections of Spider-Man

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Actually what if less Ace Attorney and more LA Noir. During cross examination you listen to their heartbeats to determine when they are lying, but you have to figure out what they are lying about. If you go down the wrong line of questioning, you are forced by the judge to stop and potentially hamper your case.

One big problem I can see right away: for anyone looking for a fun action game, breaking that up with, frankly, boring courtroom drama is not exactly going to satisfy that craving. Matt Murdock: Unethical Lawyer Simulator is probably more of a standalone game.

Speaking of which, what would be the best way to integrate Peter Parker into a Spider-Man game? Anyone have any ideas of actually doing poo poo outside of the suit and being interesting? I'm mostly just thinking game comparisons because I know that it'd have to still be open world but like, Bully?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Speaking of which, what would be the best way to integrate Peter Parker into a Spider-Man game? Anyone have any ideas of actually doing poo poo outside of the suit and being interesting? I'm mostly just thinking game comparisons because I know that it'd have to still be open world but like, Bully?

I don't think you can. Nothing you can have Peter doing is going to be as fun as swinging around as Spider-Man. The best you can get is like Peter's Science Minigames in the Insomniac games.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spider-Man Snap

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'd like a "Pete teaches 10th graders science" mini game

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Peter dating simulator but you've got crimes happening that need Spider-Man

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Make it stand up comedy where Pete works his snark on an audience. Good scores lead to better multipliers in the Spidey sections.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think you can. Nothing you can have Peter doing is going to be as fun as swinging around as Spider-Man. The best you can get is like Peter's Science Minigames in the Insomniac games.

Balancing act as you try to keep your secret identity hidden but also honor Uncle Ben's last words and be a good Samaritan running into burning buildings to help people get clear

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

It doesn't exactly work for a "Spider-man" game, but imagine something like Pokemon Snap. You are playing ace freelance photographer Peter Parker, and you have to capture the best possible shots of superheroes and villains in action. You live in New York, so there's usually plenty to go around. So Power Man and Iron Fist foil a bank robbery - Go get some action shots of heroes being heroic - lifting cars, kicking rear end, taking names. Maybe there's some aggressive alien invasion or another, get shots of them being imposing and trying to take over; before, during and after and fighting and appearances by the other heroes. Third, and I never finished PS4 Spider-man, the Miles chapter or the full sequel, so I don't know if this was added at any point, but as Spider-man, you can have a built-in mechanic where you have set up cameras all over town. While you are swinging, preferably during one of those chase sequences, there would be a quick button prompt on screen to activate any nearby camera and take a picture. Too soon or too late and you get an unimpressive trailing arm or foot shot, but right on time and you get a dynamic action shot.

Now, to lean into more of the Peter Parker side of things, cameras and other equipment costs money. Pictures of heroes bring in money, action pictures bring in better money, and pictures of masked vigilantes doing questionable things (might) bring in the most money. So, a candid photo of Cap punching out some Hydra agent would be preferred to a pic of Cap posing handing a big cardboard check to a children's hospital. But, like any good artist or someone trying to win over a crows, you have to know your audience. And the Bugle isn't the only game in town. So, you take your pictures, pick out the best ones and go selling to the highest bidder. But maybe certain people want certain things. Jameson wants the dirt, especially on Spider-man and other masked menaces. He'll pay top dollar to see Spidey taken down a peg. But if you come in with a picture of Cap with dirty gloves on, he'll fire you on the spot. Meanwhile, the Marvel equivalent to Guns and Ammo might want to see some excellent Punisher stills, but Frank doesn't appreciate it.

And then there's a fairly balanced and even photo judging mechanic. Is the subject in the center of the frame and in focus? + points. Blurry? Cut off? - points. You could also have a thing where certain heroes don't really like getting their picture taken, so even after the action has died down, they won't just pose for you, or at least won't do it for very long.

You could have a thing where as a story beat you take a victory photo of Iron Fist and Power Man, only to discover that Power Man gets cropped out by the publisher, but he blames you.

Part of the way you could try and weave it in to a regular Spider-man game would be to have Peter arrive on scene, but there's a kind of general "Danger" meter to the surrounding populace. Maybe at first Doc Ock is just kind of menacing, and people are scrambling to get away. Snap a few photos, then duck around a corner and change into costume, and fight him. But if you don't change quickly the danger escalates, and there's more opportunity for more exciting pictures. But it also means that there's more opportunity for people to get hurt. Unfortunately I feel that it would be out of character for Peter to ignore any kind of immediate threat just to maybe get a bit more money. That's really almost a defining trait for him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Peter and Dr. Connors working in the lab to concoct antidotes but it plays like Overcooked.

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, look at the response to the MJ and Miles sections of Spider-Man

RareAcumen posted:

The big thing here is whether any Peter stuff would be mandatory. There's stuff that can be interesting but it will probably feel like a real slog whenever the main plot demands non-Spidey sections.

Edit:

CzarChasm posted:

I don't know if this was added at any point, but as Spider-man, you can have a built-in mechanic where you have set up cameras all over town. While you are swinging, preferably during one of those chase sequences, there would be a quick button prompt on screen to activate any nearby camera and take a picture. Too soon or too late and you get an unimpressive trailing arm or foot shot, but right on time and you get a dynamic action shot.

They had half-baked versions of this in the first game's DLC that could have worked as something unique and special about the game's combat / traversal overall rather than just be relegated to some Screwball missions.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 14, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Peter and Dr. Connors working in the lab to concoct antidotes but it plays like Overcooked.

The big thing here is whether any Peter stuff would be mandatory. There's stuff that can be interesting but it will probably feel like a real slog whenever the main plot demands non-Spidey sections.

If you don't make it mandatory or effectively mandatory (i.e: valuable rewards) nobody would touch it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Have the Peter parts be like Yakuza substories. Tales From New York.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

If you don't make it mandatory or effectively mandatory (i.e: valuable rewards) nobody would touch it.

Ok, but I think it goes without saying in a game that side missions / mini-games aren't usually made just for shits & giggles. I'm saying we could all think of fun Peter Parker gameplay styled differently than the main story action but it just automatically starts from a worse position if the main action is interrupted for you to be forced into it before continuing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CzarChasm posted:

Yeah, I was thinking something along these lines. Just expand the Arkham detective vision thing and create ways to adjust the environment to suit your combat; killing lights/power, setting off steam vents, breaking water lines and poo poo like that. Use things like smell and sound creatively. Also, all the lawyer poo poo too.

RareAcumen posted:

They did a DD cameo in WEb of Shadows but it was just a cut scene I think.

CzarChasm posted:

It doesn't exactly work for a "Spider-man" game, but imagine something like Pokemon Snap. You are playing ace freelance photographer Peter Parker, and you have to capture the best possible shots of superheroes and villains in action. You live in New York, so there's usually plenty to go around. So Power Man and Iron Fist foil a bank robbery - Go get some action shots of heroes being heroic - lifting cars, kicking rear end, taking names. Maybe there's some aggressive alien invasion or another, get shots of them being imposing and trying to take over; before, during and after and fighting and appearances by the other heroes.

They did this a LONG time ago in a Spiderman game called "vs the Kingpin" or something and you got money for good photos that you could use to make more web fluid

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 15, 2024

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lobok posted:

Ok, but I think it goes without saying in a game that side missions / mini-games aren't usually made just for shits & giggles. I'm saying we could all think of fun Peter Parker gameplay styled differently than the main story action but it just automatically starts from a worse position if the main action is interrupted for you to be forced into it before continuing.

I think of like Business Dimension minigames in Like A Dragon, or the Chocobo Kart and Yugioh campaigns in Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. After a big segment when the story is very clearly slowing down you start the first bit of a Peter Parker story/minigame, it either just shows you it exists or forces you to engage with it for ten minutes so you get the taste if you wanna keep going.

"Hydro-man should be laying low for a while, won't be able to do much, maybe I'll swing by The Bugle tomorrow see if Robbie has any leads of strange water behavior... Electro's Empanadas Emporium!? needs a social media manager... able to take "bomb-rear end food pictures and make them do big numbers on myspace"... that can't be right, maybe I should investigate that. No way he let's Spider-man try out his food."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Part of the way you could try and weave it in to a regular Spider-man game would be to have Peter arrive on scene, but there's a kind of general "Danger" meter to the surrounding populace. Maybe at first Doc Ock is just kind of menacing, and people are scrambling to get away. Snap a few photos, then duck around a corner and change into costume, and fight him. But if you don't change quickly the danger escalates, and there's more opportunity for more exciting pictures. But it also means that there's more opportunity for people to get hurt. Unfortunately I feel that it would be out of character for Peter to ignore any kind of immediate threat just to maybe get a bit more money. That's really almost a defining trait for him.

Hey that could work. There's no reason why you can't have more characters besides Spider-Man in the game. Taking photos of Captain America dropping in to stop Doc Ock and I mean "Well squid arms never listened to me but maybe Cap will have better luck." Works as a reason why he might not be jumping in immediately.

Get some more subtle comic books goofery and have 8 simultaneously occuring Wolverine side quests and you can leave and come back in the middle of other ones and they have poo poo to say about them. Wolverine's on some berserker serum that makes him huge and Alex Jones red oh no! You leave that to find him at a bar drinking for a different one. 'Wait I thought you were all Red Hulk and stuff?' 'It comes and goes, bub'

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that this would almost work as a world where Peter never got spider powers, so you only really have to worry about getting the best possible shots. But again, you're no longer playing a Spider-man game at that point. Which is fine and cool, as long as you are honest about that from the start.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
You should play as the dude from Marvels. That might be really cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Disaster Report/Dead Rising style game where you're trying to get photos as a relatively normal dude in the middle of a Mega Crossover Event would kind of own.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

RareAcumen posted:

Maybe you can do something like sloppily deliver pizzas for a very fake Italian sounding man. Surely that hasn't been done before

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Maybe you can do something like sloppily deliver pizzas for a very fake Italian sounding man. Surely that hasn't been done before

Or take pictures at very specific points in the city, perhaps at token-like destination points

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh no! Dr. Connors' class!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Period piece Spider-man where the whole game is Peter in a dark room trying properly develop his photos. Oh, and it's in real time.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
They should make a Peter Parker game and the annoying part is having to swing across town to deliver a pizza

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Peter Parker game but he is a crisis magnet and you have less than 2 minutes before some poo poo goes down.

Normally you would go find the substories but with Peter Parker mode, you never know if the Rhino is about to explode through the building next to you or Wolverine will fall off a building and crush a car across the street.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

RareAcumen posted:

Peter Parker game but he is a crisis magnet and you have less than 2 minutes before some poo poo goes down.

Normally you would go find the substories but with Peter Parker mode, you never know if the Rhino is about to explode through the building next to you or Wolverine will fall off a building and crush a car across the street.

I'd play a whole game of The Secretive Spider-Man where you have to subtly use your powers to influence events

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I would simply instantly win the Peter Parker game by ignoring them and actually getting to that date with mj on time for once

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I would simply instantly win the Peter Parker game by ignoring them and actually getting to that date with mj on time for once

Then you have Peter's guilt complex in the form of Uncle Ben's ghost hound you for the whole post-game

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Dr Strange is the one with a ghost hound.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'd play a whole game of The Secretive Spider-Man where you have to subtly use your powers to influence events

PETER PARKER GHOST TRICK GAME!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Air Skwirl posted:

Dr Strange is the one with a ghost hound.

Stray but you're playing Bats the ghost hound.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I hate to ask but does anyone have a key for Marvel Rivals they aren't using? I would love to get the opportunity to play but I have zero luck on these kind of things.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Diabetic posted:

I hate to ask but does anyone have a key for Marvel Rivals they aren't using? I would love to get the opportunity to play but I have zero luck on these kind of things.

Sadly the Closed Alpha ended yesterday. We have to wait for another or an Open Beta.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sadly the Closed Alpha ended yesterday. We have to wait for another or an Open Beta.

Ah well, thanks for the information though! It'd suck continuing to check my email every day for a chance.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
PC Gamer had a pretty positive review of Capes. Sounds like the story is a bit middling, but the actual gameplay works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

catlord posted:

PC Gamer had a pretty positive review of Capes. Sounds like the story is a bit middling, but the actual gameplay works well.

I wonder if the accessibility is better than Midnight Suns. That game is impossible to play for me because the text is so small.