Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Solkanar512 posted:

Cliff Mass is "arrogant" and gets really nitpicky when people like Charles Mudede blame every last drop of rain and gust of wind squarely on climate change. Rather than understanding the particular difference that Mass tries to explain, they assume he's against climate change.and gives ammo to climate deniers - much in the same way a pro-vaccination advocate "gives ammo" to anti-vaxxers when they point out that vaccines aren't 100% effective.

It's really loving stupid and is one of a couple ways the Stranger is anti-science.

lol. Of course they do that. One of the saddest things is how lovely The Stranger has become since 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

BlueBlazer posted:

Pfft its going to be such a poo poo show just take your client to the omelette bar for whatever meeting you have.

I'm prepping the factory and all vendors to be shutdown through Wednesday. Even if you are lucky and can dig out it wont matter till everyone is.

Also if cliffmass says we are hosed, we are.

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/

BRB, going to start an Omelette chain named Eggnarok.

Steve Jorbs posted:

What's the beef between them?

He's a climate change denier? I guess?

This article is insufferable, but I think that's the gist: https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/10/23/34366285/cliff-mass-is-trumps-weatherman

Edit:

Solkanar512 posted:

Cliff Mass is "arrogant" and gets really nitpicky when people like Charles Mudede blame every last drop of rain and gust of wind squarely on climate change. Rather than understanding the particular difference that Mass tries to explain, they assume he's against climate change.and gives ammo to climate deniers - much in the same way a pro-vaccination advocate "gives ammo" to anti-vaxxers when they point out that vaccines aren't 100% effective.

It's really loving stupid and is one of a couple ways the Stranger is anti-science.

EDIT: He also got kicked off of KUOW for calling Joni Balter out on her bullshit - the station explained that "he was only there to give the weather and not respond to other guests", even though the information he provided was spot on and informative to the audience.

That makes more sense. The Stranger and The Mercury have the stupidest beefs.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Failson posted:

BRB, going to start an Omelette chain named Eggnarok.

He's a climate change denier? I guess?

This article is insufferable, but I think that's the gist: https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/10/23/34366285/cliff-mass-is-trumps-weatherman

Cliff Mass responded in the comments, he's no climate denier. People keep confusing "climate change isn't having a huge effect on local weather right now" with "climate change isn't effecting anything anywhere in the world".

Cliff Mass posted:

Charles...for the 100th time let me say that following:
I am NOT a denier.
I am very concerned about global warming
I believe we need effective actions to both reduce emissions and to build resilience to climate threats.

How many times do I have to say this?

I was a STRONG supporter of the I-732, the revenue neutral carbon tax. YOU and many of the Stranger folks were against it. Funny how you didn't care much about climate issues then.

I-1631 is regressive (hurts low-income folks), anti-democratic (gives unprecedented power to an unelected board to spend billions of dollars), ineffective (carbon fee is HALF that of I-732), and doles out money to special interest groups...to name a few issues.

Calling me Trump's weatherman is such nonsense. You know plays Trump's game? Folks like you. Trump calls the opposition names. He is divisive. He doesn't bother to learn facts about technical or complex subjects. Sounds familiar? Exactly what you are doing. I am working AGAINST him by trying to find ways to restore the middle...rational, bipartisan decision making.

Please stop harassing me, calling me names, and saying things that are simply not true. And stop acting like a Trump acolyte.

I should say that I don't always agree with his politics, but I get tired of scientific experts being ignored or mocked when they are correctly speaking about their field of expertise.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 7, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I honestly don't know if the Stranger was ever really good or if I was just a lot younger and much more "gently caress the man" about poo poo and didn't really care about details. In retrospect it was at least pretty good at knocking down my political demons and helping me leave behind any trace of conservatism behind.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DrNutt posted:

I honestly don't know if the Stranger was ever really good or if I was just a lot younger and much more "gently caress the man" about poo poo and didn't really care about details. In retrospect it was at least pretty good at knocking down my political demons and helping me leave behind any trace of conservatism behind.

They had a solid science writer about ten years ago, and then he just vanished. The whole thing is just frustrating when you see the editors promoting Food Babe bullshit and whatnot when they're also serving as the only newspaper counterpoint to the loving Times.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

DrNutt posted:

They seemed awesome when I first got up here in 2000, but maybe I was just younger too. For the last 15 years they've been so up their own rear end and self-indulgent and so incredibly hypocritical they're insufferable. I remember Lindy West's movie reviews from years ago and maybe it's too much to ask for a weekly paper in a major city to have good movie reviews but all her movie reviews were basically a personal blog about her life and then a few sentences about the movie. It was infuriating as a movie fan. Dan Savage's sex advice column is fantastic, but he as an editor of the Stranger drove that publication into the mantle of the earth.

The Seattle Weekly is honestly way more progressive these days than the faux-edgy nonsense the Stranger has become, imo.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I personally agree with The Stranger about Mass and climate change. He's not a denialist, but he writes 3000 words every time someone erroneously links a weather event to climate change while paying little to no attention to Republicans outright denying it exists. Who does that really serve? Even if you're not wrong, the amount of effort you put into pushing back against one misinformed perspective versus another matters.

The Stranger are idiots for giving him the cold shoulder about this though, as no one would even care what he has to say about climate if he hadn't made his name correctly predicting PNW winter storms.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Eggnogium posted:

I personally agree with The Stranger about Mass and climate change. He's not a denialist, but he writes 3000 words every time someone erroneously links a weather event to climate change while paying little to no attention to Republicans outright denying it exists. Who does that really serve? Even if you're not wrong, the amount of effort you put into pushing back against one misinformed perspective versus another matters.

The Stranger are idiots for giving him the cold shoulder about this though, as no one would even care what he has to say about climate if he hadn't made his name correctly predicting PNW winter storms.

He's in that sweet spot between being right and being a dickbag nobody wants to listen to at the same time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Eggnogium posted:

I dunno I think it's pretty important to push back on the anti-science poo poo on the left, and maybe even more important as anyone with a functioning brain can see that the right is full of poo poo on the matter. The lefty anti-science poo poo is more insidious because it has a tendency to suck in people that really should know better.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

He's also deeply, deeply wrong about the politics at play in passing legislation to address climate change. The kicker from his last post on I-1631

Cliff Mass posted:

If it fails, perhaps a message will finally be clearly delivered: only a rational, bipartisan approach has a chance of moving forward.

loving lol that you'll get Republicans to do anything at all.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

DrNutt posted:

I dunno I think it's pretty important to push back on the anti-science poo poo on the left, and maybe even more important as anyone with a functioning brain can see that the right is full of poo poo on the matter. The lefty anti-science poo poo is more insidious because it has a tendency to suck in people that really should know better.

The stranger wants drama, which is why they start poo poo with Mass. They are the same publication that publishes transphobic trash all the time, so gently caress them.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Relentless posted:

He's in that sweet spot between being right and being a dickbag nobody wants to listen to at the same time.

I missed out on most of all the climate change stuff with Mass, but he seems to play it straight even if it's not politically helpful. Scientists are generally bad at politics and not very smart about it. All I know is when I think my face is about to be blown off with bad weather I turn to Cliff Mass' blog. I'm not looking towards him for political leadership. It's a different set of skills. I guess my point is if Seattle does get hit bad still listen to Cliff Mass even if he has dumb bipartisan centrist political beliefs.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Eggnogium posted:

The reason why you get the 3000 words is because when it comes to the complexities of scientific fields, those little details matter. Ask any scientist - culturally speaking, discussing these sorts of details and being pedantic is par for the course. It's often annoying for the lay person, not always practical and it's easy to misunderstand (this is where scientists need to learn how to communicate better) but he's not wrong and folks like Mudede are being intellectually dishonest when they pull this poo poo and that's poison to any serious discussion on this issue.

If Mass didn't include these sort of pedantic details, climate denailists would latch onto those. Honestly, they're going to latch onto anything because they're always going to always argue in bad faith. So rather than present a political message that fits on a protest sign, he's going to give the detailed picture of what's going on.

1glitch0 posted:

I missed out on most of all the climate change stuff with Mass, but he seems to play it straight even if it's not politically helpful. Scientists are generally bad at politics and not very smart about it. All I know is when I think my face is about to be blown off with bad weather I turn to Cliff Mass' blog. I'm not looking towards him for political leadership. It's a different set of skills. I guess my point is if Seattle does get hit bad still listen to Cliff Mass even if he has dumb bipartisan centrist political beliefs.

Yeah, this is a great point. Use him for what he's good at, dismiss him for what he's not.

EDIT: I just have a bug up my rear end on this because as mentioned before, anti-science views on the left is insidious as gently caress. Seeing all the anti-vax mommies come out on social media is another nasty example of this poo poo.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 7, 2019

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

https://medium.com/@AlexLenferna/if-you-care-about-climate-change-dont-listen-to-cliff-mass-vote-yes-on-1631-d61b2631226b

https://medium.com/@AlexLenferna/the-non-persecution-of-cliff-mass-51360f92d823

He's fine as a weatherman, but otherwise ignore his stupid 'well actually' rear end. Also, Mudede rules.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Cliff Mass is perfectly capable of understanding the political context of his positions. Scientists are people, not robots. He chooses to publish blog posts that take a stance on climate change legislation and he chooses to dedicate his fact checking to climate alarmists rather than climate denialists. It's perfectly legitimate for the Stranger and anyone else to criticize him for that.

Is it anti-science to think the guy who wrote this is kind of a denialist-sympathizing piece of poo poo?

Cliff Mass posted:

If Big Oil was covering up global warming, they did a very bad job at it. The impact of CO2 has been talked about since the 80s and the estimates of the impacts have not really changed in thirty years. Global warming gets wide attention in the media, and if anything is hyped up and exaggerated. Greenhouse warming has been no secret.

Big oil has provided a high-quality product at a declining price (considering inflation) that is demanded by virtually everyone. Yes, even environmental activists, who often are big travelers. If their products were not demanded, they would go out of business, like others before them.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Eggnogium posted:

Is it anti-science to think the guy who wrote this is kind of a denialist-sympathizing piece of poo poo?

No, that seems perfectly fine to criticize. The Stranger (and Mudede in particular) completely lack any form of nuance to be able to tell the difference between that sort of negligence and his actual scientific work.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Eggnogium posted:

He's also deeply, deeply wrong about the politics at play in passing legislation to address climate change. The kicker from his last post on I-1631

loving lol that you'll get Republicans to do anything at all.

Yeah, his take on I-631 was completely loving insane, and exactly what the climate change denialists want. I don't really give a poo poo if you're doing the incredibly loving stupid wrong thing for the right reasons; I'd much rather you be doing the right thing for the wrong reasons.

Doing the wrong thing for the right reasons is just as bad as doing it for the wrong reasons.

EDIT: Cliff Mass is to climate change as Trump voters are to racism; he may not be in favor of it, but his support for the policies of it are indistinguishable from him being in favor of it.

Mudede is the best thing about the Stranger, gently caress the haters.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 7, 2019

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

All I know is when I think my face is about to be blown off with bad weather I turn to Cliff Mass' blog.

:yossame:

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I can't forgive him for hating on Nikkita Oliver for being too radical. He is a neo-liberal like the rest of them, but he pokes fun at bougie white people in Seattle without actually challenging the system that puts poo poo heads like Durkan in office.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The actual, qualified expert on weather patterns and the science thereof knows what he's talking about. Random internet commenters trying to tie him into Trump and racism because they disagree with his conclusions definitely don't.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the cary loving moon primary endorsement still gets me angry, god drat dan sucks so bad

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the cary loving moon primary endorsement still gets me angry, god drat dan sucks so bad

100% this.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

DevNull posted:

I can't forgive him for hating on Nikkita Oliver for being too radical. He is a neo-liberal like the rest of them, but he pokes fun at bougie white people in Seattle without actually challenging the system that puts poo poo heads like Durkan in office.

Too radical for him or too radical for the city? I don’t remember this.

Javid posted:

The actual, qualified expert on weather patterns and the science thereof knows what he's talking about. Random internet commenters trying to tie him into Trump and racism because they disagree with his conclusions definitely don't.

Yeah and Elon Musk is going to save the world 🙄

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I don't think anyone here is disagreeing with his meteorological positions.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, his take on I-631 was completely loving insane, and exactly what the climate change denialists want. I don't really give a poo poo if you're doing the incredibly loving stupid wrong thing for the right reasons; I'd much rather you be doing the right thing for the wrong reasons.

Doing the wrong thing for the right reasons is just as bad as doing it for the wrong reasons.

EDIT: Cliff Mass is to climate change as Trump voters are to racism; he may not be in favor of it, but his support for the policies of it are indistinguishable from him being in favor of it.

That’s not saying anything nice about Mudede or the Stranger.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Charles Mudede gets a pass from me for pretty much everything because of that amazing article he wrote about Mr. Hands.

I still read the stranger's blog almost every day and the only writer that pisses me off a semi regular basis is Katie Herzog. Shes a white feminist centrist personified.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Charles Mudede gets a pass from me for pretty much everything because of that amazing article he wrote about Mr. Hands.

I still read the stranger's blog almost every day and the only writer that pisses me off a semi regular basis is Katie Herzog. Shes a white feminist centrist personified.

Article? The man wrote a documentary about it.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Katie Herzog. Shes a white feminist centrist personified.

TERF. She is absolute poo poo. So yeah, white feminist centrist.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Failson posted:

Sounds like Seattle is going to get the brunt of this one?

Tired: Snowpocalypse
Wired: Omletgeddon

Yesterday I bragged about my swanky hotel room my work was paying for because of the snow. Today I found out because of money the hotel rooms are being rationed and coworkers are going to have to double up in rooms. I said gently caress that and will just walk in the snow to work. I dreamt a dream of an omelet bar and now that dream is gone from me :(

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

1glitch0 posted:

Yesterday I bragged about my swanky hotel room my work was paying for because of the snow. Today I found out because of money the hotel rooms are being rationed and coworkers are going to have to double up in rooms. I said gently caress that and will just walk in the snow to work. I dreamt a dream of an omelet bar and now that dream is gone from me :(

If my company asked me to share a hotel room I would start looking for a new job.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

therobit posted:

If my company asked me to share a hotel room I would start looking for a new job.

Really? I was surprised personal rooms were even offered at first. At my last job during the last big snow storm it was just assumed we'd be doubled up. I think if I pushed it I could get my own room, but I'm close and I don't want to risk that someone who actually has a long commute might have to make a drive in. But, omelets...

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I mean, you could nominally take the room, and still abuse free hotel food while sleeping at home. Just get your intended roommate in on it so he doesn't say anything to ruin his solo room, either.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

DevNull posted:

TERF. She is absolute poo poo. So yeah, white feminist centrist.

she loves to preface every poo poo take she does by saying she’s “to the left of trotsky” or some poo poo though

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

therobit posted:

Same, that is bullshit.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

Really? I was surprised personal rooms were even offered at first. At my last job during the last big snow storm it was just assumed we'd be doubled up. I think if I pushed it I could get my own room, but I'm close and I don't want to risk that someone who actually has a long commute might have to make a drive in. But, omelets...

I don't want to wait to take a shower while my coworker finishes jerking off, and I don't want to smell their gnarly shits either. Or to sleep in the same room with them. And a company that does not consider all the uncomfortable and potentially dangerous situations that could arise from doubling people up in rooms to save a few bucks is not one I want to be working for.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

therobit posted:

Ditto this. But i'm also a woman and there's no way i'd room with a rando dude. I'm the only woman in IT.
Also like - if you can't afford to put people up solo then just don't expect people to work in the office during a snow storm. Have good remote work solutions!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

therobit posted:

My company the past 3 days has been on a company retreat, I was excited to go when I first heard about it but then they sent out en email with a roommate sign up sheet... couldn't say no more quickly. What kind of grown rear end adults are fine with this poo poo...

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

What kind of grown rear end adults are fine with this poo poo...

People who are young and naive and people who are not secure in their value to the organization. When I was 23 I put up with so much poo poo from managers that I just wouldn't today. I know they are making or saving money due to my work so either they won't fire me, or I can find another job easily if they do. If you're fresh out of college the calculus is different.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Howard Schultz is the Donald Trump of Seattle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've never had a job even suggest sharing a room with someone else during travel/whatever. Even as a young dude working with mostly other young guys or working for a severe corp that loved to gently caress people over. I'd take that as a pretty big red flag.