Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the real vultures are (usually, don't know the precise system) those that pitch a complete replacement, implying huge cost savings, when the reality invariably turns out that it takes forever, disrupts the actually important activities, and certainly never saves a cent.

the median age of code will forever rise, bitrot is not real, and the guy making good money 20 hours/week doing small fixes to old systems should be a model for us all.

I thought bitrot was a symptom of adopting too early, not holding on too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the real vultures are (usually, don't know the precise system) those that pitch a complete replacement, implying huge cost savings, when the reality invariably turns out that it takes forever, disrupts the actually important activities, and certainly never saves a cent.

the median age of code will forever rise, bitrot is not real, and the guy making good money 20 hours/week doing small fixes to old systems should be a model for us all.

there was some sci-fi book i read where the techs on some aging spaceship were called "code archeologists," and spent their whole lives digging through the trillions of lines of code in the ship's memory banks, looking for five emulators they could plug together to keep some ancient hack working

that's the future assuming industrial civilization doesn't end in the next century imo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

animist posted:

there was some sci-fi book i read where the techs on some aging spaceship were called "code archeologists," and spent their whole lives digging through the trillions of lines of code in the ship's memory banks, looking for five emulators they could plug together to keep some ancient hack working

that's the future assuming industrial civilization doesn't end in the next century imo

vernor vinge, a deepness in the sky

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

vernor vinge, a deepness in the sky

love that series

mystes
May 31, 2006

animist posted:

I think the chance of a future where humans are janitoring ancient code on spaceships is pretty much zero, which is about one percent less than our chance of surviving in the first place.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 14, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mystes posted:

I think the chance of a future where humans are janitoring ancient code on spaceships is pretty much zero, which is about one percent less than our chance of surviving in the first place.

maybe not on spaceships but we will definitely be maintaining lovely cobbled together layers of weird code for centuries (there is code in prod that's like 50 years old at this point)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

he was a Sergeant at Arms Programmer Archeologist, studying ancient software was his military duty

of course the Blight was released by some arrogant techbros that thought JavaScript was close to the metal

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

oh and the Blight’s ubiquitous slaves were some garbage internet of things that absolutely nobody understood

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

maybe not on spaceships but we will definitely be maintaining lovely cobbled together layers of weird code for centuries (there is code in prod that's like 50 years old at this point)

it would be suicide to let a programmer on any sort of generational ship since they would be compelled to rewrite the whole stack in whatever the latest coding fad they got transmitted from earth. it would be for the best if the entire first generation instilled a religious dogma to never ever try and understand the code that runs the ship

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
like, we got templeOS here on earth, where there's vast access to tons of programming resources and mental health providers. imagine the hosed up poo poo a programmer cloistered on a ship light years from earth would come up with

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Krankenstyle posted:

the ibm system 360 (1964) was backwards compatible with a bunch of 1950s machines, so there is probably still code out there that has celebrated its 60th birthday

also cobol was first published in 1960

there's a ton of old poo poo out there

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Plank Walker posted:

it would be suicide to let a programmer on any sort of generational ship since they would be compelled to rewrite the whole stack in whatever the latest coding fad they got transmitted from earth. it would be for the best if the entire first generation instilled a religious dogma to never ever try and understand the code that runs the ship

you are suffering from the delusion that the code that runs a generation ship would actually work

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
smdh if you don't want to rewrite your generational ship's power management system in Javascript so it can run anywhere

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the ibm system 360 (1964) was backwards compatible with a bunch of 1950s machines, so there is probably still code out there that has celebrated its 60th birthday

also cobol was first published in 1960

there's a ton of old poo poo out there

tbh its kinda impressive

tho probably the earlier code is pretty robust since it presumably wasnt written by complete idiots

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Krankenstyle posted:

tho probably the earlier code is pretty robust since it presumably wasnt written by complete idiots

it probably was written by idiots. or at least bright people who had no idea what they were doing.

it’s probably robust because folks have been keeping it limping along for decades

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i mean their standards for correctness were probably better than they are now (like the apollo code) but yeah probably thats fair

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
the jpl spent an obscene amount of money achieving their level of code quality because it was really loving important

lol if you think the average ibm customer from that era had a comparable desire and budget for robust code

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

alright apollo was a bad example, i just like to imagine that programs werent always dogshit :smith:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mostly old software is more likely to be correct because of it wasn't there would have been time intervening to fix it. it also accumulates cruft with the fixes, but as we're never getting to a state of all software being new and correct one should have a healthy respect for things that get work done.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

i mean their standards for correctness were probably better than they are now (like the apollo code) but yeah probably thats fair

there is still code like this, but the ratio of code like this to code not like this has gotten even more unfavorable since the apollo era

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Old software was/is also a lot simpler (by necessity) and had much more stringent requirements on input. It's perfectly fine to read a line into the COBOL equivalent of a char[80] buffer when the input comes from punched cards where lines physically cannot be longer.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Athas posted:

Old software was/is also a lot simpler (by necessity) and had much more stringent requirements on input. It's perfectly fine to read a line into the COBOL equivalent of a char[80] buffer when the input comes from punched cards where lines physically cannot be longer.

cobol was also designed by people who understood the dangers of types like a char[80] buffer so that is physically impossible in cobol afaik

when you read data into a string in cobol you can optionally provide an event handler for "what if it overflows?" but you can't accidentally overwrite other poo poo

i am not a cobol programmer though this is just poo poo i barely remember from touching it once in university

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Bloody posted:

there is still code like this, but the ratio of code like this to code not like this has gotten even more unfavorable since the apollo era

i've been reading a lot of stuff about formally verified systems for a class, and I keep reading stuff like

quote:

A commercial example concerns key modules of a preemptive OS kernel, the μC/OS-II. Modules verified include the scheduler, interrupt handlers, and message queues. 1.3k lines of C were proven using 216k lines of Coq. It took four person years to develop the framework, one-person year to prove the first module, and then the remaining modules, around 900 lines of C, took six person-months.

:unsmith:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
cobol i/o is all about fixed-size records, but yes, it is a significantly higher-level language than c and you would really need to work in order to get it to scribble over memory. the flip side is that cobol is pretty go-like in the sense that user-defined data structures are limited to basically structs, and otherwise you get global tables and global indexed tables and that's basically it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rjmccall posted:

cobol i/o is all about fixed-size records, but yes, it is a significantly higher-level language than c and you would really need to work in order to get it to scribble over memory. the flip side is that cobol is pretty go-like in the sense that user-defined data structures are limited to basically structs, and otherwise you get global tables and global indexed tables and that's basically it

unlike golang nobody marketed cobol for "systems programming"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unlike golang nobody marketed cobol for "systems programming"

obligatory: cobol has had generics for almost a decade

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

also really old codebases are solid for the same reason Roman bridges are solid: because all the lovely ones had to be replaced, and only the best didn't. not because Roman / cobol engineers were supermen

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
Huh, it's survivor bias again, never thought of it in that light again

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

dick traceroute posted:

Huh, it's survivor bias again, never thought of it in that light again

whenever old poo poo seems of higher quality than recent poo poo it's usually this

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Planned obsolescence is also a factor

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
or maybe everyone was better but only the most boring poo poo that no one woild ever want to rewrite is the remaining stuff

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
Well I think it's safe to say the 12 year old shitpile VB winforms + oracle stack I just left at oldjob was unintentional

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
we have way better tooling now though than anyone ever had back in the 60's, both for testing and for static analysis. only certain industries bother though and verification tools like e.g. astrée are usually pretty expensive

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

TheFluff posted:

we have way better tooling now though than anyone ever had back in the 60's, both for testing and for static analysis. only certain industries bother though and verification tools like e.g. astrée are usually pretty expensive

you can beta test in the future to realize gains from decreasing costs of testing tools.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Vomik posted:

or maybe everyone was better but only the most boring poo poo that no one woild ever want to rewrite is the remaining stuff

'to err is human but to really screw things up takes a computer' was a saying for a reason

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

animist posted:

216k lines of Coq

:q:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lutha pls go back to your late medieval avatar, i dont like this early "modern" avatar at all.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

somebody bought it for me and I haven't thought of what hi-larious new av gimmick i should try next

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lutha Mahtin posted:

somebody bought it for me and I haven't thought of what hi-larious new av gimmick i should try next

ideas:
- martin luther but blingee
- 95 theses but on a computer screen(!)
- lets get weird: danny devito in a 1500s getup and a bag of beers (ill chip in if he asks for cash)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the rms / luther martin connections are pretty strong though

• both led slightly off-kilter and yet utterly doctrinaire rebellions against established orthodoxy

• both liked beer

• both found farts funny

• both have opinions about women

of course only one of them is famous for defending a dead sex pest so, there's that