Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I hit level 60 on my first DPS class, Monk and I kind of hate it now because I'm frustrated trying to wrap my head around this maximising dps concept. I want to try tank next, Warrior I guess and hope they can explain mecanics better
The game doesn't explain mechanics. Period. You should post to ask about stuff because there's really no other way you'll get helpful info :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Countblanc posted:

I hope they do the WoW thing where players start getting access to moves similar to what old raid bosses used since we're just that badass now.

That's already a thing. In HW, SMNs got the ability to drop an Akh Morn.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SonicRulez posted:

That's already a thing. In HW, SMNs got the ability to drop an Akh Morn.

Yeah that's true. More of that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I hit level 60 on my first DPS class, Monk and I kind of hate it now because I'm frustrated trying to wrap my head around this maximising dps concept. I want to try tank next, Warrior I guess and hope they can explain mecanics better

Since rotations for monk are more fluid than they are for other DPS jobs, it can help to boil it down to a priority list until the job clicks:

0: Don't die for dumb reasons.
1: Build Greased Lightning stacks and never, ever lose them (unless the fight forces you to, in which case be ready with Perfect Balance).
2: Land your positionals. Hang out at the corner between the back/flank position on your target to help with this.
3: Keep Twin Snakes and Dragon Kick active (use once every second 123 combo).
4: Always be using Internal Release and Blood for Blood. If a DoT will fall off within about 5 seconds of one of those buffs becoming available, its OK to delay the DoT until your buff is active.
5: If focusing on one target, keep Demolish and Touch of Death active but don't refresh until they are down to about 3 seconds left. For large bunches of targets, forego DoTs and Rockbreak the bastards.
6: Once you are comfortable with everything else, be sure you toss in your oGCD attacks whenever they are off cooldown unless you need to hang onto them for a better opportunity in the very near future.

The DoTs, Rockbreaker, and oGCDs represent a pretty considerable chunk of your total DPS, but if you don't have the basics down pat they aren't really going to matter much. If something has to go until you can fit all the information into your head and become one with the fist, make sure it isn't GL stacks or positionals that fall by the wayside.

Lastly, it isn't super clear from the game itself, but while you are doing everything else you still auto attack and this will contribue a not insignificant chunk of your overall damage too. Make sure you stay close enough to your target to actually punch them. :v:

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 18, 2017

Griz
May 21, 2001

nuru posted:

I need to research more, can one get both the items needed to make the stat catalyst entirely from gathering scrip?

Also, my gathering gear is still the melded hq white stuff from release with the red scrip mainhands. Maybe I should upgrade?

there's like 10 ways to get sand but umbrites are still lore only

HQ serpentskin with upgraded red scrip tools is still good enough to hit perception cap on the 1* folklore collectibles (at 84% gather chance, but a few cheap melds and NPC food gets you to 650 GP so you can use the 5% boost)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/Nova_Crystallis/status/833043935396241408

https://twitter.com/Nova_Crystallis/status/833045875316363264

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
blitzball yes

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Another source for this: http://gamerescape.com/2017/02/18/frankfurt-fanfest-press-conference/

Also of note in that,

German Live Streaming Muscian: Can you tell us more about what’s planned for the battle system revamp?

Yoshida: We’re not going to be rebuilding it from the ground up. We’re concentrating on two things with this revamp. During 3.x, the action rotation for high DPS became very complex. We saw a large gap form regarding DPS from skilled and technical players and more casual players and so we wanted to bring up the bottom. The second thing is with FFXIV players use the controller, with the increase in actions, its hard for them to use all of the actions available. There aren’t enough ways to use these actions so we’re cutting the number of unused actions and combining similar actions to make the lvl 70 action number about the same as it is now. Currently with a lot of the jobs, its clear that jobs have to monitor a lot of buff icons. We want to create job specific UIs to alleviate that and make monitoring those things easier. We’re going to balance, adjust, tweak and refine this UI right up to the release, so we probably can’t show you anything until May.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Blitzball sucks

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

cheetah7071 posted:

Blitzball sucks

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Job specific UI would be pretty nice. Imagine if your aetherflow stacks are in a nice fancy bar that fills up, or your GL stacks are sort of timed with a big ol clock. Being able to more easily parse essential job information would definitely be handy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dukka posted:

alternatively: you don't need to min-max to clear the hardest content so who cares??

I agree 1000%, but it's not a valid reason to have clear and persistent balance issues in your MMORPG. It's not a single player game so the actions of others influence yours indirectly and directly, not everyone has this attitude and some people, incorrectly, have a bias against certain classes due to their wider perception. Like, you could say "I haven't seen this" in any flavour of the term, but it's a thing that happens so needs to be addressed. Like Fister Roboto suggests, just killing the debuffs as a whole would be a prudent and more simple fix than building classes with synergy in mind and helps defeat any idea of a meta.

Mordiceius posted:

You're really insufferable.

Sorry for discussing design decisions and potential pitfalls Final Fantasy XIV in this, the Final Fantasy XIV thread. :jerkbag:

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

nuru posted:

I need to research more, can one get both the items needed to make the stat catalyst entirely from gathering scrip?

Also, my gathering gear is still the melded hq white stuff from release with the red scrip mainhands. Maybe I should upgrade?

If I'm following you right, umbrite is from tomes and crystal sand can be gotten entirely from gathering, as well as a number of other options. You need one turn in of both to get 3 stat points, 240 stat points in total. At 40 turn-ins, there's a chance to get bonus stat points when you use them, so aim to get about 70 turn-ins of both kinds.

Many people get crystal sands from doing leves. You grab them in Ishgard and do them in in the area outside Idyllshire. Treasures that have a chance of popping always have Amber Vilekin, which are worth one crystal sand turn-in. So you just activate the leve, look for treasure, then abandon and retry. I've heard it said that the leves that burn one allowance will get you the most amber overall, and I believe that's true, but for my own sanity, I just do the 10 leve allowance leves when I get to around 80 leve allowances. I supplement the rest with gathering blue scrip tokens, which I actually get from doing my weekly red scrips, which I can then turn into blue scrip tokens. It's really easy to do your red scrip stuff now if you've got all the nodes unlocked, so I find this to be the most palatable route. I'm on my 4th relic and I really hate Crystal Sands the most at this point.

But if your gathering gear is not that good, I think you'd want to primarily go for the blue scrip stuff. You could upgrade to Ironworks, but unlocking all the nodes in which Ironworks would really be useful requires blue scrips, which it sounds you want to use for crystal sand. I can't really say I know where the breakpoint for all that would be, but I think if I were you I'd probably not bother upgrading my gear. I am kind of lazy, though.

Griz
May 21, 2001

ruta posted:

But if your gathering gear is not that good, I think you'd want to primarily go for the blue scrip stuff. You could upgrade to Ironworks, but unlocking all the nodes in which Ironworks would really be useful requires blue scrips, which it sounds you want to use for crystal sand. I can't really say I know where the breakpoint for all that would be, but I think if I were you I'd probably not bother upgrading my gear. I am kind of lazy, though.

you get blue scrip a lot faster than umbrites unless you really like lore grinding, but all the book items are red scrip and it's easy enough to cap those from the non-book nodes.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Sorry for discussing design decisions and potential pitfalls Final Fantasy XIV in this, the Final Fantasy XIV thread. :jerkbag:

For someone who allegedly wants to discuss the point, you seem to have breezed past this post (quoted below for your convenience) despite replying to posts both before and after it. Possibly because you just read the first sentence and decided you couldn't be bothered to read the rest, possibly because you don't have any good counterarguments, possibly because you quite legitimately overlooked it. I'm bringing it up again in good faith that it's the last of those reasons.

I think it makes some good points though about how much we do and don't know about not only 4.x SAM but also 4.x MNK (and that 4.x MNK and 3.x MNK are not quite the same thing). That's not to say that you (or anyone else) can't speculate, but try to keep the scale of your conclusions in line with the scale of the info we have, mm? We have very little concrete info to go on, which means that trying to draw conclusions about 4.x relative DPS balance meta is probably a bit... overambitious.

Failboattootoot posted:

Because there is nothing to discuss. We've seen a basic 1-2-3 combo and some sort of charge up move and that's it. We have literally nothing to indicate that it's going to play similarly to monk beyond the same base similarities shared across all melee dps. All Yoshi P said about the class is that it would charge up some meter and then use this meter to burst, which is literally not anything like monk who wants to get to GL3 as quickly as possible and then stay there in that heightened dps state.

Further, speculating on how this will compare to monk is absurd because you are using the current state of monk which may have little to no bearing to the job once we get to stormblood. Abilities are going to be cut and new abilities are going to be added so speculation based on current conditions is ultimately baseless.

Even further than that, nobody loving cares what you play, they care if you are good and not a lovely person to play with because the class imbalances in this game are vastly overstated by a handful of turbonerds.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Griz posted:

you get blue scrip a lot faster than umbrites unless you really like lore grinding, but all the book items are red scrip and it's easy enough to cap those from the non-book nodes.

In my case, I just buy umbrites as I do other things I like, and essentially never blue scrip gather because I have no general need to do so outside of Crystal Sand. That's why I find it to be more annoying. While it's easy enough to cap red scrips without the tomes to unlock all the nodes, it's not even comparable to how trivial it is to do once all of them are unlocked.

Hawke
May 1, 2008
Did somebody say blitzball?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I assume they mean "Blitzball but with literally all the actual game mechanics changed because gently caress that poo poo."

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

That's not what you're discussing. You're making a huge deal out of something that pretty much only the tippy top raiders give a gently caress about when it's not a big deal, and it's certainly not a pitfall. If it were a pitfall, no one would have been able to clear A12S with a monk in the group, but we know that's certainly not the case at all, so chill.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I'm really bad at understanding these trailers. I watched the whole thing and thought the lady in red was a dancer, the hobo guy was some sort of mystery punching class, and the guy at the end was the red mage. But apparently the whole thing was just showing Samurais?

She's using Monk moves repeatedly in the trailer. I get that her outfit looks Dancer-ish but she's fighting with the same style and moves as the absolutely-a-monk generic WoL. :shrug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FFX is good

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm guessing that the shrouded peninsula south of Doma is where Dalmasca is.

Also if Othard is Fantasy Asia, does that make Aldenard (Eorzea) Fantasy Africa?

CrimsonObserver
May 24, 2012

Augus posted:

I assume they mean "Blitzball but with literally all the actual game mechanics changed because gently caress that poo poo."

Seems like its going to be something like that, yeah:

The answer: Yoshida confirmed that the team is currently planning the addition of the minigame, however, it may not look and play exactly like you remember from Final Fantasy X. He went on to say that there are a lot of challenges the team must take on to make it work. Yoshida says he believes that players grew bored quickly in the FFX version, and FFXIV’s version will include MMORPG elements. The end result might be something that’s further away from what peoples’ current image of Blitzball is.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2017/02/blitzball-may-make-comeback-final-fantasy-xivs-stormblood-expansion/

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Blitzball owns.

Question though, how did you guys ease into the HW jobs? PotD? I wanted to give MCH a shot and I was immediately overwhelmed even at 30 because of all the buttons and mechanics. It seemed like a massive pain in the rear end, but if SAM is coming at 50, I'll need to figure it out.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SonicRulez posted:

Blitzball owns.

Question though, how did you guys ease into the HW jobs? PotD? I wanted to give MCH a shot and I was immediately overwhelmed even at 30 because of all the buttons and mechanics. It seemed like a massive pain in the rear end, but if SAM is coming at 50, I'll need to figure it out.

I took 10 minutes to figure them out, and then started dungeons.

POTD is probably better.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

quote:

[on the subject of PSVR] We have had some ideas talking to the media about a special room like Miqo’te Paradise where you pay $50 and go in and have some fun with Miqo’te.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

cheetah7071 posted:

FFX is good

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Nah it was fine, had its moments.

I wonder if a team will be made of players or if it'll be more Blitzball Manager 2017 where you collect NPC players.

Alas, Haurchefant of the Silver Fuller shall never know the pleasures of being Haurchefant of the Silver Stryker.

Best keep him away from goalie position though, he'd have issues blocking a Jecht Shot.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If they did it kind of like squadrons I wouldn't mind collecting players for a blitzball team.

edit: But if they did it like TT cards it can gently caress right off.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Kwyndig posted:

edit: But if they did it like TT cards it can gently caress right off.

gently caress Blitzball and gently caress Trip Tri. :colbert:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Psst, DPS queues aren't that bad, and they will be even better when everyone comes back for the expansion.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Blitzball is totally gonna be direct player control and 8 people to a team, they're not gonna do another strategy minigame.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

FFX's setting was great. Rather than standard fantasy-Europe fare, they went with Asia and the South Pacific.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dukka posted:

alternatively: you don't need to min-max to clear the hardest content so who cares??

It's true that any composition can beat all the fights in the game - eventually. The problem is that doing less raid dps due to your composition can slow down your progress, and could make a difference of weeks or even months in how long it takes you to beat a fight, depending on your raid schedule.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SAM glam ready to go.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
*kicks down door as the crashing waves of news hits the thread*

Blitzball ooooowns

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Paissa house is still a sickness that must be purged.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

That's not what you're discussing. You're making a huge deal out of something that pretty much only the tippy top raiders give a gently caress about when it's not a big deal, and it's certainly not a pitfall. If it were a pitfall, no one would have been able to clear A12S with a monk in the group, but we know that's certainly not the case at all, so chill.

On the one hand I do agree with your point, but I'm wary because people were saying the same thing about AST being "fine" back in the Gordias Savage era, and they pointed to fact that one or two top-end groups were able to clear A4S with AST on their team to support their point.

Didn't change the fact that AST was straight up busted compared to the other two healers, and it subsequently underwent pretty significant (and necessary) buffs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Paissa house is still a sickness that must be purged.

You disgust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
You're all letting this news cloud your judgement of what we really need
We need an Emperor's New Gun glamour that just lets you shoot with a finger gun

• Locked thread