Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

flavor.flv posted:

3d sonic games are better than 2d sonic games

hard agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Being able to run away and recharge your shield is a bad mechanic for multiplayer

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
The Uncharteds had the only multiplayer that didnt annoy the hell out of me.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Harrow posted:

What are your most unpopular positive gaming opinions? Games you love that are generally disliked, gameplay things you like that other people don't, things like that.

The Battlefield games that I've enjoyed the most are the Battlefronts.

Also imo in shooter games I generally think it should not be possible to spawn on squadmates or revive "dead" players.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vashro posted:

Being able to run away and recharge your shield is a bad mechanic for multiplayer

Every Shooter Should Increase Damage Done As Health Approaches Zero.

Also the only way to heal should be via other players.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Harrow posted:

What are your most unpopular positive gaming opinions? Games you love that are generally disliked, gameplay things you like that other people don't, things like that.

I think mine at least used to be "Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter loving rules" but I feel like I see more people praising that game than hating on it lately so that might not be so unpopular anymore. Maybe my other one is "Chrono Cross is almost as good as Chrono Trigger, which means it's great"

I've enjoyed all of the Assassin Creed games to varying degrees. I like some more than others but I like them all. I also enjoy the Ubisoft grind. I like just chilling out running around and countryside doing the mass amount of side content while I listen to podcasts or whatever.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I kind of like it when creator directors of popular series openly lash out at the series/fanbase by deliberately writing an ending that not only gets them out of making more sequels, but attempts to salt the earth to prevent reboots. Even if it's a series I like I can't helping feeling something along the lines of "good for them".

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Harrow posted:

What are your most unpopular positive gaming opinions?

- There's nothing wrong with MOBAs or Battle Royales
- RNG isn't always a bad thing
- Zombies are still a cool topic
- it's okay for a game to be "done" from a development standpoint

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Harrow posted:

Outpost 2 was a genuinely great game wrapped inside a thurrito of garbage and poo poo

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

For some reason i associate your username with clearly outlandish opinions trying to jebait people into bad posts but i agree with all this

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

For some reason i associate your username with clearly outlandish opinions trying to jebait people into bad posts but i agree with all this

This is the correct thread for these opinions.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Harrow posted:

I love getting chased around by videogame monsters like Mr. X. In fact, he should be even more powerful and be able to get into save rooms.

Resource management is good, and is at its best when it's almost impossible to have enough resources to feel comfortable. I'm talking Pathologic 2 levels of resource management.

And while I'm talking about Icepick Lodge games, it's not enough that a game not have tutorials for every mechanic, there should be people in the game world actively misleading you about how the mechanics work.

I like for loot to be a logistical nightmare. I want to be able to carry almost no loot, and when I find a big piece of valuable loot I should have to make an arduous plan for how to take it anywhere.

Generally games should be a stressful hassle.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
*taps mic*

Crafting is cool

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Crafting is cool if the the game is about crafting. Crafting systems bolted on to otherwise typical RPG/Shooter/whatever generally suck rear end.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Harrow posted:

I think 'Gearheads' by Phillips is a goddamn masterpiece.

You can get it here.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Harrow posted:

I think mine at least used to be "Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter loving rules" but I feel like I see more people praising that game than hating on it lately so that might not be so unpopular anymore. Maybe my other one is "Chrono Cross is almost as good as Chrono Trigger, which means it's great"

Mass effect Andromeda is good

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

I actually really enjoyed hunting bosses in Ragnarok online, where you'd scout out a dungeon where it would spawn, and you tell everyone in your guild to come up to it and beat it up.

Also it was really fun just playing the harder dungeons with a party of people, not only because of having friends around but also because it was really awesome having people with complementary skills and characters supporting each other.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Doctor J Off posted:

Did you play Suikoden V? Complete return to form, feels like a true follow up to Suikoden II in the ways that the earlier PS2 ones weren't.

haven't, just 3, which I liked the duck guy but yeah. I'll try V if my retro place has it!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

oh poo poo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Suiko 5 is like suiko 2 but with the anime dialed way the hell up for better or worse

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Harrow posted:

oh poo poo

:twisted:

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

fridge corn posted:

Suiko 5 is like suiko 2 but with the anime dialed way the hell up for better or worse

If you look in your heart you would see that Suikoden I and II would be just as anime if the PSX could support the graphical style

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

fridge corn posted:

it's true

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I like motion controls. gently caress that, I love motion controls. They really get you into the action

Skyward Sword was my favourite zelda up until BOTW came out, which had even better motion controls

Gyro aiming is the only way to play shooters without a mouse

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Gothic 2 is one of the the best Western RPGs ever.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

KonvexKonkav posted:

Gothic 2 is one of the the best Western RPGs ever.
"And they came. All of them. Even the dragons."

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Doctor J Off posted:

If you look in your heart you would see that Suikoden I and II would be just as anime if the PSX could support the graphical style

The graphical limitations are what forced PSX games to be special!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

That's how I post 99% of the time in this thread but that one was a genuine response to Harrow's question and I'm glad somebody agrees with me :glomp:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I enjoyed the endings to the mass effect trilogy and thought they were thematically appropriate.

I like battle royales. It's fun scavenging weapons and getting (or not getting) the luck of the draw.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Suikoden III was the best one

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How soon you all have forgotten Suikoden 4, a game I also forgot about until this conversation because it wasn’t very good

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flavor.flv posted:

I like motion controls. gently caress that, I love motion controls. They really get you into the action

Skyward Sword was my favourite zelda up until BOTW came out, which had even better motion controls

Skyward Sword was the best 3d Zelda until Breath of the Wild came along and reminded people how open world games could be good when they're not the soulless default AAA game style that they had been for over a decade.

And the Wii was a great system. Pointing interfaces are good and one of the greatest weaknesses of consoles has been the lack of them.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I've got like halfway through the first 3 suikoden games but never finish for some reason.

I feel like starting 1 again...

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I can't say I like zombies never did but yeah I agree on everything else.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I enjoyed the endings to the mass effect trilogy and thought they were thematically appropriate.

I like battle royales. It's fun scavenging weapons and getting (or not getting) the luck of the draw.

I miss PUBG a lot. I liked its slow pacing, the rhythm of it, I like games that start slow (like League of Legends I guess) before getting crazy. Also PVP games that give you time to breathe.

At some point my duo and I peaked at 20% win rate, before stabilizing in 18%. Winning every 5 matches or so felt really, really, really good. I've played many PVP games that I enjoyed but PUBG was the only one that I both enjoyed and gave me this feeling of excitement I can't replicate in any other game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

PUBG loving sucked, it was a lovely buggy mess full of hackers and you’d run across a field for 30 minutes only to get shot in the ankle by a sniper 1000 yards away

The times when it was fun, rare as they were, were fleeting and brief and you’d have more fun playing video games with your friends in literally any other game

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jokes posted:

The times when it was fun, rare as they were, were fleeting and brief and you’d have more fun playing video games with your friends in literally any other game

Nah I had fun throughout all of it soz mate.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well I didn’t!!!!!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't say zombies do anything for me thematically anymore. The last time Zombies really did it for me was probably 28 Days Later, but I think the nature of them makes for a fun enemy to fight in video games, which is why they have become such a mainstay. Also I like apocalyptic environments (even if they have been run into the ground they tap into the same part of me that likes to explore abandoned buildings) and the two go hand and hand. Really zombies will never be a deterrent or selling point for me. I don't think they are scary or interesting, but that didn't stop me from playing a ton of Back 4 Blood and Dying Light 2 is still one of my more anticipated upcoming games.

Really I just judge zombie games on their own merits at this point. Most of them are crap, but I am still open to the fun ones.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The next elder scrolls should be all about the draugr. Love those guys and their many crypts. Even draugr protagonist maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

There are plenty of gamers who share this opinion
it's just the corporate management who disagree and want everything to be a live-service game to maximize profits