Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SkyeAuroline posted:

I found it downright terrible when I played it, but some people have really latched onto it, so maybe I missed something.

I've been playing it since it came out of EA, and it has a similar gamefeel to Subnautica due to the oxygen mechanic, resource gathering, and base building. I think the base parts were intended to look similar to Subnautica, even. It's enjoyable, and I did feel a sense of accomplishment when the planet started to change due to my actions, as unrealistic as it was.
However, there's noticeable jank; later areas have collision that doesn't match the walls, either resulting in invisible walls or walls you can walk through. One of the very last discoverable areas breaks whatever ambient lighting system is in place when you enter it so it looks hyper saturated and flat. Also if you walk off a cliff you stick to the ground so your fall speed is immediately maxed out (but I haven't died from that, or even taken much fall damage come to think of it). The jank doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the game, though the lighting problem in that lategame area did put me off it for a while. I waited for a patch and it did not get fixed despite reporting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Zereth posted:

Is there a way to farm Liveroot in the Twilight Forest? Ironwood is an important material in the pack I'm playing but liveroot doesn't show up as a product of garden cloches/botany pots/etc. Will some type of tree generate it if I plant it?

There's an IC2 crop for it. :negative:

Nevermind, thought you were talking about GTNH.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

queeb posted:

so i know i should be batch crafting stuff, but shoudl I wait to get some LV machines online before I start crafting stacks of like 64 motors etc, is there decent efficiency gain in early LV that i should wait for before going ham?

So LV is such an awesome time because every new machine feels like a huge step up in efficiency, QoL, or capability. If you're still pre-LV then batch crafting isn't really relevant as you have extremely focused goals (get the BBF, get a steam turbine, get the first few machines) and the very first machines you build are going to vastly improve the efficiency of the most used components. Here's a list of most of the LV machines you will want, in my personal priority order, and how they benefit you:

You'll want to make the Wiremill and Bending Machine as your first 2 machines (Bendy first if you are starved on steel, otherwise wiremill will make circuits like a third as expensive on copper). Then I recommend Assembling Machine, Centrifuge, and Fluid Extractor as that will allow you to make resistors, circuit boards, and vacuum tubes much cheaper. It also gives you access to the Twilight Forest so you can mine silver for reals and make all the HP solar boilers your heart desires. At that point you'll be at the best intersection of material efficiency and time efficiency for the LV age. There are more ways to save materials, like the Lathe, but they're a lot slower and the discount is either minimal or on plentiful resources like iron.

Don't make an LV extruder, as it can't process any metals. It's not worth it just for rubber rings. It's not fun when you learn the lesson of "always check a recipe's voltage tier".

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I will present a use for the LV Extruder*: While SA is correct in that the LV model can't work with many metals, there are some metals it can process! Namely, tin, bronze, and steel into rotors. Directly extruding ingots into rotors avoids the intermediate steps with plates and rings and screws and whatnot.

Well worth it imo for the multitude of rotor-needing things like pumps and steam turbines you'll be wanting to craft.

*Disclaimer: I've not yet updated to 2.6 so I don't know if recipes have changed.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 9, 2024

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Actually yeah, I also used the lv extruder for tin rotors and it was handy. It took extra materials but it was worth not having to deal with the manual rotor crafting recipe.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i did it!

so im guessing i want to build these machines inside lol

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

queeb posted:

so im guessing i want to build these machines inside lol

Not all machines are created equal, but yeah you'll make most but don't hang in lv too long. Or mv. HV is when you should massively expand.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

mother of god

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

mother of god

now try circuit 3, it makes 8 fine wire per ingot

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

now try circuit 3, it makes 8 fine wire per ingot

holy MOLY

im in love

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

holy the assembling machine is the GOAT

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

queeb posted:

holy the assembling machine is the GOAT

It really is. No more flint for chests or barrels among so many other nice recipes.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Arrath posted:

It really is. No more flint for chests or barrels among so many other nice recipes.

even just the basic recipes for the vacuum tube/resister and poo poo is so great

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

queeb posted:

even just the basic recipes for the vacuum tube/resister and poo poo is so great

Just wait until you start making better molten alloys and really maximize your yield on circuit components.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
The hot tip for wiremills is to always run it on circuit 16 for wires. IIRC it takes 5 seconds to make 2 wires on circuit 1, but it takes 17.5 seconds to make 16 wires on circuit 16, which you then just handcraft down to single wires in a shapeless craft. 8x the craft for 3.5x the time! Also takes up less space in the output so things don't get clogged.

And yeah the second MV machine I build is always a fluid extractor (electrolyzer first!) so I can get molten redstone alloy (legally distinct from red alloy) and make maximum vacuum tubes per craft with that + annealed copper. You'll be making LV circuits with vacuum tubes for a loooong time because the first direct LV recipe sucks and isn't really cheaper than the basic recipe when you have the maximally efficient tube/resistor recipes. It's not until microprocessors that I switch recipes.

Oh final tip! You can add wood planks (the ones from compressed sawdust) to a chest to get a Slightly Bigger Chest. These can be opened while a block is above them and don't connect like normal chests. Fantastic for putting underneath electric machines with the auto-output facing down. There's an assembler recipe for wood planks using 64 sawdust + glue to get 64 planks! Always check for assembler recipes! And check the circuit because sawdust + glue is also phenolic boards for the next circuit tier.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

There's an IC2 crop for it. :negative:

Nevermind, thought you were talking about GTNH.
Nope, not GTNH. It was pointed out we do have the resource chickens mod but getting that started is also... complicated.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

So just so I'm understanding this correctly, a generator in lv puts out 1 32euv amp per tick, so if I had 3 machines running 32eu recipes I'd need 3 steam turbines, but if I had 6 running 16eu recipes then 3 turbines would also be good as they'd request an amp every other tick?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

So just so I'm understanding this correctly, a generator in lv puts out 1 32euv amp per tick, so if I had 3 machines running 32eu recipes I'd need 3 steam turbines, but if I had 6 running 16eu recipes then 3 turbines would also be good as they'd request an amp every other tick?

Correct. Generators only send out full amps, so the 16 EU/t machines would get an amp every other tick and you could run six machines from 3 generators.

However, you forgot about line loss. With a tin cable, you'll be losing 1 EU/t per block every given amp has to travel through. Fortunately, though, recipes in this game have some give; you'll never see an LV recipe that's more than 30 EU/t. This matters a LOT right now in LV, but matters less and less as you tech up.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm guessing that's why I see everyone stack all their LV machines on one 16x tin cable as tightly as possible?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

queeb posted:

I'm guessing that's why I see everyone stack all their LV machines on one 16x tin cable as tightly as possible?

For LV/MV it can be worth it to keep all your less used machines on one cable, yeah. No sense having a bunch of idle generators.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

Or, uh, one 1x tin cable. :haw:

there are a bunch of the steam-tier machines behind this too, it was a tightly nested mess

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

queeb posted:

Yeah, I run my entire LV line off a single 4x cable (was tin, is now redstone alloy since it's lossless). 4 turbines hooked into a 4x battery buffer, fed from my giant steam tank fed by 21 HP solar boilers. Batteries in every machine anyway in case I'm over-running the capacity. Still choked machines sometimes because the arc furnace uses 3 amps, but otherwise a fine setup.

Remember the rule of thumb with cables. Support as many amps as you send through the cable. Machines are receivers so you can have as many as you want - worst case is a machine chokes and resets progress and needs a soft mallet whack to turn off while the batteries recharge. If you plug 5 turbines into a 4x cable, though, you're gonna have a bad day. Machines can draw 1 amp more than they use, which allows them to recharge their internal buffers and slotted batteries; even if you only had 3 machines on a 4x line, a 5th turbine can still overload it and burn the cable (and the resulting fire would cause an explosion).

For reference, here's my LV line:

and the other side of it

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Yeah, I run my entire LV line off a single 4x cable (was tin, is now redstone alloy since it's lossless). 4 turbines hooked into a 4x battery buffer, fed from my giant steam tank fed by 21 HP solar boilers. Batteries in every machine anyway in case I'm over-running the capacity. Still choked machines sometimes because the arc furnace uses 3 amps, but otherwise a fine setup.

Remember the rule of thumb with cables. Support as many amps as you send through the cable. Machines are receivers so you can have as many as you want - worst case is a machine chokes and resets progress and needs a soft mallet whack to turn off while the batteries recharge. If you plug 5 turbines into a 4x cable, though, you're gonna have a bad day. Machines can draw 1 amp more than they use, which allows them to recharge their internal buffers and slotted batteries; even if you only had 3 machines on a 4x line, a 5th turbine can still overload it and burn the cable (and the resulting fire would cause an explosion).

For reference, here's my LV line:

and the other side of it

poo poo i forgot you can just auto output/input into these things now

edit: wheres your turbines in this setup?

queeb fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 9, 2024

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

in LV i always relied on battery buffers and didn't worry about supplying enough generators to fill all amps of a line. most things will be not producing most of the time (at least until you get your EFB... that changes things) so i could rely on a decent size buffer to smoothen out power spikes

each battery in a buffer supplies 1A to its output, so a full four battery buffer keeps a 4x tin cable full even if you only have one lv generator supplying power, until the batts run out

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

getting the lithium or w/e for batteries was too much of a pain in the butt in LV so I never bothered

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

queeb posted:

poo poo i forgot you can just auto output/input into these things now

edit: wheres your turbines in this setup?

The potin pipes are my steam pipes. You can see a couple of them hiding behind hoppers in the first pic. It's a 4 slot battery buffer with turbines on the 4 sides, steam pipe for the turbines is directly above, power coming out below and then travelling horizontally.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

SynthesisAlpha posted:

The potin pipes are my steam pipes. You can see a couple of them hiding behind hoppers in the first pic. It's a 4 slot battery buffer with turbines on the 4 sides, steam pipe for the turbines is directly above, power coming out below and then travelling horizontally.

ohhh i see it now! im a bit away from batteries at this point i think

edit: is the basic miner worth using?

queeb fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 9, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

Not really. It's very, very slow and its range doesn't let it mine an entire chunk. It's also kinda steel heavy for LV since you have to provide it one mining pipe per y-level mined. Auto miners start to be worth it in HV, and then the EV auto miner (a multiblock one) kicks so much rear end that I personally added code to upgrade it to be more user friendly last year.

That being said, if you have infernal mobs on and you're getting destroyed when trying to mine in the nether, using a basic miner will more or less eliminate any risk. That's the only situation I'd make an LV auto miner.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

queeb posted:

ohhh i see it now! im a bit away from batteries at this point i think

You and your mining hammer ARE the basic miner!

A good LV pickup, if you didn't cheat in a better one, would be the ore scanner though. I can't remember if the quest book points to it but it's a significant help.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
If you get a stack of mining pipe from a loot bag, then a basic LV miner is useful with a few caveats.

It won't tap a full vein, it runs pretty slow, and it requires an off-base power source. Either you're swapping a dozen batteries, which defeats the point of hands-free mining, or you need to make a gas turbine or combustion engine and source fuel for it. Methane from centrifuging rubber wood is easy, and a combustion generator can burn creosote oil if you've got a few hundred extra buckets.

In short though, no. The MV tier miner (which actually runs on LV power) is much much better and by then you'll have better options for making denser fuel like Benzene from charcoal or diesel.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

queeb posted:

is that actually good/ it looks very uhh, amateur i guess? minerals all over the ground you just pick up and stuff, seems weird

I mean Subnautica is like that too. :v:

It definitely has the sort of UI and graphical polish reminiscent of someone's first Unity project or something but I found it more charming than offputting and things generally work perfectly well. And it's got the Subnautica vibe of more and more of the world opening up as you progress in technology, though with the only danger being you loving up, so it's pretty chill. But it's the way the world actually changes over time as you terraform that kept me hooked until I finished it. That aspect is super neat, and despite what Bhodi said nothing else really does anything like that.

But I mean sure if you're GTNH-poisoned you'll find it shallow.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

getting the lithium or w/e for batteries was too much of a pain in the butt in LV so I never bothered

Sodium is pretty easy to get in LV, you can just use that.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Zereth posted:

So, question. What alternate dimension mods would people say are the best? A lot of them seem to have the problem that there's no reason to go there other than to see the stuff it has, or maybe one or two features you might want to use outside of it. Just little self-contained things with no bearing on anything else going on.

Most dimension mods I've found feel like they're meant to be a self-contained experience following vanilla end-game. Like they're nice on their own but don't integrate well into packs wrt power scaling unless they lock you into their own gear or something.

Divine RPG was one of my favorites. Cool new enemies, lots of items, a few different dimensions with large bosses. Each dimension has an ore you need to get the next tier of gear and portal.

There is some Stargate mod where you hop dimensions and it adds some overworld stuff.

The Aether has been updated for modern MC versions.

Twilight Forest and Blue Sky are both neat once. Those lock you into their progression systems. TF is famously unfinished but has the uncrafting table.

Ad Astra has you build rockets and go to planets in space. There are mods for this mod like Star Wars planets and lightsabers.

I would not really suggest Dimensional Doors, it's boring and ugly imo. There are dimensions for utility like mining dimensions, void dimensions, compact machines, pocket dimensions etc.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 10, 2024

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gtnh update, working through LV, been a busy week so i havent played a ton

storage and LV machines in a building im working on, solar boilers and tank on the roof for now

im dumb and took my steam stuff down, and then put it all back because its still super useful right now lol

moved my BBF's closer to my main base, going to add 2 more and then add some more coke ovens cause holy i burn steel now.

that building in the back is going to be a 2 floor farm/tree farm on top thingy

rubber and slime tree farm, holy are slime trees ever amazing

queeb fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 12, 2024

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so i hosed up, not sure what i did but i deleted my old instance when updating to 2.6 and deleted my old world lol. so im starting over knowing what i knew now and im gonna rush back. actually super inspired by y starting spot:

mesa to the north for clay, im in a lush swamp biome with 100% humidity and its pretty cool looking, large town to the west that has a smeltery, bamboo forest east, that crater lake way south looks fun to build around maybe. going to lean more into aesthetically pleasing builds now, probably increase my time per tier but i enjoy being in a pretty base.

also bamboo stick wall owns

my view

queeb fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 20, 2024

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

queeb posted:

so i hosed up, not sure what i did but i deleted my old instance when updating to 2.6 and deleted my old world lol.

Unless you completely deleted the old instance's folder you should have backups that are automatically generated in .minecraft/backups. Just unpack them.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Rynoto posted:

Unless you completely deleted the old instance's folder you should have backups that are automatically generated in .minecraft/backups. Just unpack them.

oh nice, i'll check that!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So as part of my ongoing 'find something interesting but GT is too much' plan, I found Stacia 2 Expert mode, and I'm reasonably happy with it, although it seems like it's still under pretty active dev and things are changing a lot.

At a high level it's an expert mode pack, but it's not as strongly 'do this one thing entirely all the way through then move on' as like FTB Skies Expert was, it more just ties recipes together a lot more closely and generally gates things based on specific components. I found a cool mesa to build a base in and I'm about up to starting RF in earnest; ender tanks/etc are endgame so I'm trying to figure out how to either move a bunch of lava mechanically from the nether, or alternatively just hop past that into a tree farm-driven combustion setup.

My biggest complaint so far is that I failed to identify any sort of early game item-moving system; there's wooden hoppers but that's about it. However, I'm past that part now and I think I might be able to use Itemducts or even LaserIO without too much trouble.

I really wish some of these packs gave you access to AE2/etc much earlier; I just cheated in a small creative setup and called it good for now but I'd really like a pack that just started with 'yeah okay so here's a setup you can use to run your AE2 system.'

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ok, this is driving me crazy as i just cant figure it out.

Im playing Nomifactory Ceu 1.7-alpha-4

i need hydrochloric acid, and i need a lot of it. I just cant seem to find something that is largely set and forget. (Sulfuric acid too to a smaller degree)

Im comfortably in EV

What should i be looking at doing

(and phosphourus.... i swear it was easier in earlier forks to get this totally automated). I guess now its sending out microships for it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

As I move into LV for GTNH quick question about amps. If there’s two machines both pulling 1A does that mean I need a 2A line? I tried a test with two machines running on a 1A line and nothing bad happened but maybe both weren’t maxed out. I read the wiki page on electricity but it didn’t mention this, only that machines might need more amps due to voltage drop over distance.