Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rhonne posted:

What's the "lore reason" for no female ronso?

Despite you seeing a bunch of them in X I guess maybe you never see one fight, but I could be misremembering. Even though the women are ripped. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Rhonne posted:

What's the "lore reason" for no female ronso?
They're too busy playing Blitzball.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Aren't female lions the ones who do most of the work in real life?

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Oxyclean posted:

It's totally bizzare in a game that threw away XI's gender-locked races, as well as game that doesn't have race-locked jobs/classes.

I think I said it in FC chat, but I did mention that with Eureka's success and another in 5.0, SE would be ballsy enough to bring back more FFXI conventions like gender-locked races.

Odd idea to make the game more FFXI now though.

Edit: I didn't really want Viera anyway, so no male bunnies are at my monkey's paw I suppose.

Rastan Beeza fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 23, 2019

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ither posted:

For me, it's just that the lack of male Viera and the hyersexualization of the females ones (see the reveal video and the Dancer picture) gives this game a gloss of anime skeeviness that it didn't have before.

I started playing in 2.X mind. Maybe 1.X was different since it had genderlocked races.

:same: Like how do I explain well you see there's no male viera b/c devs thought it'd be "weird" but female bunnies are OK. I'm super disappointed and regret preordering ShB since bun boys were a huge factor of a new race. Like I'm used to F2P MMO's pulling the rug underneath me but I expected more of you FFXIV.

99% of MMO is cosmetics and it's understandable why players would not be happy for their options to be taken away.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I would forgive them for everything if they allowed me to make a fat cat boy.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

jokes posted:

I think it's really funny how pissed people are about no male viera.

thank you for your valuable input, rational male gamer

strong bird
May 12, 2009

They should have made a new healer class

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Rhonne posted:

Aren't female lions the ones who do most of the work in real life?

It turns out this isn’t actually true. Male lions hunt, they just attack from hiding instead of going in groups.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kaubocks posted:

thank you for your valuable input, rational male gamer

I mean, I get being pissed at genderlocking from a conceptual level because it is dumb as hell and how the new races are gender locked is lovely. SE being shittily regressive (which they are doing more and more of late) is worth being mad over.

I don't get the people who are mad about no male viera specifically. All we've had to go off of how they look is like, 4 concept art drawings. A lot of people mad over no twink bunny bois when the concept art shown for them wasn't really all that twinkish to begin with.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I get being disappointed about dancer/genderlocking, the latter in specific really blows. But the framing some people are putting on these is really disingenuous

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm not really a huge FF fan or anything, but I did play through FFX and I honestly completely forgot all about this race and that character. That just looks like a Roe with a mask on.

That is literally a picture of a Roe with a mask on.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Failboattootoot posted:

I mean, I get being pissed at genderlocking from a conceptual level because it is dumb as hell and how the new races are gender locked is lovely. SE being shittily regressive (which they are doing more and more of late) is worth being mad over.

I don't get the people who are mad about no male viera specifically. All we've had to go off of how they look is like, 4 concept art drawings. A lot of people mad over no twink bunny bois when the concept art shown for them wasn't really all that twinkish to begin with.

I don't think that that's the case, that people are only mad because they can't play twinks or whatever? It's not like the 2016 art wasn't widely circulated; people knew what to expect when the concept of male Viera floated around.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Leraika posted:

I don't think that that's the case, that people are only mad because they can't play twinks or whatever? It's not like the 2016 art wasn't widely circulated; people knew what to expect when the concept of male Viera floated around.

I've seen about 4 of those takes in this thread and a few elsewhere, but I'm probably just being pedantic about people's phrasing when what they really wanted was a non-conforming male race regardless of being Viera or not.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Failboattootoot posted:

I've seen about 4 of those takes in this thread and a few elsewhere, but I'm probably just being pedantic about people's phrasing when what they really wanted was a non-conforming male race regardless of being Viera or not.

It's possible, or it's possible that I'm missing a lot because I uh, decided that it would be a good idea to maybe avoid the forums after wading in long enough to post some 'yes I'd like gender unlocked races please' posts just to get my voice heard (and I avoid reddit if at all possible, so there's that too).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

You know how people get really into planning out their glamours? Imagine that you spent six months idly considering how to dress your bunny boy before learning that they never actually planned to make any. That’s what they’re mad about.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
As one of the best AST players ever to grace FF14 I gotta say as sad as I am about DNC being a DPS I'm also glad it is because I don't have to abandon AST as my healer AND I get a DPS that I might like as a former BRD main.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

You think there will be any distinct differences between the two clans of the new races like humans, or will it be like the rest of the races where it's "this one has some different skin colors and a weird nose"?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rhonne posted:

You think there will be any distinct differences between the two clans of the new races like humans, or will it be like the rest of the races where it's "this one has some different skin colors and a weird nose"?

I thought their Ronso example had a horn, and was blue, but I can't find the slide to confirm that.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

there was one that looked like kimahri and the rest were just "roeg with a tiger head pasted on"

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

You know how people get really into planning out their glamours? Imagine that you spent six months idly considering how to dress your bunny boy before learning that they never actually planned to make any. That’s what they’re mad about.

This is even more nonsensical to me. How do you plan for glamours on something you haven't seen the model of? This just seems like a recipe to end up with some clipping monstrosity and disappointment.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
For people that were planning on male viera: did you want buff bunnies or twink bunnies? Because I can't seem to find a consensus it seems like no matter what, people were setting themselves up to be upset.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
no male hares is yoship's revenge for everyone liking fat cat so much

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Will there be anything this fanfest that shows off any of the battle system changes they've done, or actual gameplay of Gunbreaker or Dancer? That's all I'm really looking forward to at this point.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Harrow posted:

Will there be anything this fanfest that shows off any of the battle system changes they've done, or actual gameplay of Gunbreaker or Dancer? That's all I'm really looking forward to at this point.

Maybe during the liveletter but almost assuredly not until may.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mordiceius posted:

For people that were planning on male viera: did you want buff bunnies or twink bunnies? Because I can't seem to find a consensus it seems like no matter what, people were setting themselves up to be upset.

I've heard everything running the gambit. Slender and lithe, tall and swole like that old concept art, hulking roe monstrosities, and even a few that wanted those tiny lalafel styles for males getting an inverse of the Au Ra dimorphism.

Harrow posted:

They have a live letter in May that they're expecting will be 3-4 hours entirely on battle system.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Harrow posted:

Yoshida said there'll be a 3-4 hour Live Letter in May to talk about and explain combat changes and job changes/new actions.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I definitely wanted short, buff bunnies with really big rabbit legs

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kanfy posted:

That is literally a picture of a Roe with a mask on.

:thunk:

Welp.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rand Brittain posted:

I definitely wanted short, buff bunnies with really big rabbit legs

i was really hoping hrothgar would be like lalafell height but built like a wall

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't strongly care about the new races except that I think it's extremely dumb and lovely that we get Roe 2.0 and Catgirls With Bunny Ears and they're trying to excuse it as "we wanted to give more variety."

If you'd give us big hulky cat ladies and dainty bunny boys maybe I could buy that but as it stands it's more of the frigging same.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Gruckles posted:

I'm sure it's just a resource thing of it being easier to port the genderlocked designs from 10 and 12 as-is, rather than Yoship being a weirdo sexist.

it almost like misogyny can effect business decisions even without anyone consciously rubbing their hands together and saying "yes, this will show those Women"

but really how else are you supposed to interpret "male bunnies would be Weird but heres a bunch of half naked bunnywomen dancing around"

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Looking forward to yet another mobile ranged dps class who pubbie players will stand max distance from boss, well outside of AoE healing range, and somehow still fail at all movement based boss mechanics. Ranged physical dps already seem to attract some of the worst players, and now a lot of the ERP people surely will be maining one too.

Time to wait for the 2021 fanfest for when they reveal the copy paste of WHM once again, slap a Geomancer label on it, give it "Geo/Indi" party buff and then call it a day.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I started leveling Monk past 50 and it feels weird how we're buddy buddy with the guy that wanted to kill us to level himself up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

I started leveling Monk past 50 and it feels weird how we're buddy buddy with the guy that wanted to kill us to level himself up.

To be fair in anime punchman world that is like Tuesday.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Verranicus posted:

Like has anyone thought back to FFX and remembered the RONSO fondly? They're idiot blue cat people with nothing interesting at all besides being stereotypical noble savages. The fact that they live on Gagazet, which has baller rear end music, is their only positive.

me every time I'm reminded what we got instead of BLU as a real job or male viera

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

somepartsareme posted:

it almost like misogyny can effect business decisions even without anyone consciously rubbing their hands together and saying "yes, this will show those Women"

but really how else are you supposed to interpret "male bunnies would be Weird but heres a bunch of half naked bunnywomen dancing around"

clearly it's the player's fault for not respecting the lore :v:

e: ppl posting idc, i guess so thx for your thoughts

Alder fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 23, 2019

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Captain Cappy posted:

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I've heard everything running the gambit. Slender and lithe, tall and swole like that old concept art, hulking roe monstrosities, and even a few that wanted those tiny lalafel styles for males getting an inverse of the Au Ra dimorphism.

My hope beyond hope was that there'd be two clans of Viera, and one of them would have the men be sexy lithe supermodels like the women are, and then the other clan would have them be cute soft boys in the same vein as Au Ra girls

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cephas posted:

My hope beyond hope was that there'd be two clans of Viera, and one of them would have the men be sexy lithe supermodels like the women are, and then the other clan would have them be cute soft boys in the same vein as Au Ra girls

:yeah: I would've been fine with 2 clans so everyone would be happy. Soft bun boys for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I have zero interest in Viera and I'm cautiously interested in the Hrothgar, so there is at least one of us on the entire Internet.

(I would have preferred lizard people though...)