Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

politicomama posted:

I have been diagnosed and on medicine for ADD since I was 7 years old. It really sucks. My parents took the pro-active approach on getting me tested and medicated, but then didn't want anyone to know I had ADD and didn't want me in "special" classes, so I never got the help I needed. Without help I feel I did well in school for someone with ADD.

One thing I am coming across now is that it's really hard to lose weight when you have ADD. I've read that there is a large percentage of people with ADD who are overweight. Thoughts/experiences?

(note- I can't take medication anymore because of severe stomach pains from any amphetamines).

Holy crow, I'd like to read that article/thing if possible because it would explain so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

politicomama posted:

I have been diagnosed and on medicine for ADD since I was 7 years old. It really sucks. My parents took the pro-active approach on getting me tested and medicated, but then didn't want anyone to know I had ADD and didn't want me in "special" classes, so I never got the help I needed. Without help I feel I did well in school for someone with ADD.

One thing I am coming across now is that it's really hard to lose weight when you have ADD. I've read that there is a large percentage of people with ADD who are overweight. Thoughts/experiences?

(note- I can't take medication anymore because of severe stomach pains from any amphetamines).

ADHD causes low levels of dopamine, and since carbohydrates stimulate dopamine receptors your brain basically tries to self-medicate by making you crave carbs.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Mechafunkzilla posted:

ADHD causes low levels of dopamine, and since carbohydrates stimulate dopamine receptors your brain basically tries to self-medicate by making you crave carbs.

Holy poo poo so that's why I always want to eat nothing but bread and pasta :stare:

Serious edit: for real though, this kind of explains a lot if it's true. I'm looking at my usual eating habits and it's like... nothing but particularly carbohydrate-rich foods. Mostly starchy carbs ugh I should do something about that.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 12, 2016

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Yeah some combo of ADHD and SAD make winter prime binging time on carbs for me.

Unfortunately, the most foolproof way of weight loss (calorie counting) is also exactly the sort of task that ADHD folk are bad at. I trained myself to do it but it isn't easy.

That being said, you should be exercising regardless of your diet. Nothing is more helpful for my mental health than cardio.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

I try to focus on eating more fat and protein. Keeps the blood sugar down. And it's a whole lot easier to inhale a huge bowl of pasta (or a couple liters of soft drinks) than a giant steak or several avocados.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

politicomama posted:

I've also heard there's something to do with trying to keep your hands/mouth busy as well, so chewing gum or mindless snacking is a big habit of a lot of adhd people who don't get the total hunger loss side effects.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
I singlehandedly keep the chewing gum industry afloat.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Man Whore posted:

So this may be a bit strange but from the 6th grade onward I was put in an IEP and I never knew the reason, I also had a meeting with what I assume was a psychologist around that time. I never knew why other than I was a problem student, never did my homework even when I told my self I was going to, not to mention forgetting it when I did do it. I only found out when I had graduated that I apparently had ADD and no one in the 6 years of school after getting an IEP did anyone bother to tell me. The IEP helped a lot and I ended up graduating as a slightly about middling student despite my best effort to gently caress up senior year,but I plan on going to college soon (31 ACT score :toot:) and I won't have an IEP to bail me out this time.
I never took medication for my condition and I think its about time I do, but I don't know where to start. Do I have to get re-diagnosed by a psychologist or is my original diagnosis and IEP still on a medical record and I can just pop by somewhere to get a prescription. I feel a bit guilty asking this because a part of me feels like I am taking advantage of the diagnosis because I lasted this long without medication, other people have it more severe than you and need the medication to function but I figure since I barely passed senior year (when I didn't have access to my old IEP classes) that my condition is bad enough to where it does effect my academic performance pretty severely.

I guarantee you, the person with the most ADD in this world thinks "oh man, other people have more add than me, they're the ones who really need meds, what I've got is just less than that, I'm sure I can get by...

The point of life isn't "getting by." It's thriving.

I was on a 30 mg extended release perscription and it was working great but then I let it lapse because reasons and it's taken me months to get back on the prescription because procrastination. I enjoy the irony that I need the medication to help me achieve getting the medication. Inattentive type here.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
For anyone like me who gets mega neck pain/stiffness from taking their prescribed stims (Adderall here), I've noticed that taking two of these (magnesium) everyday seems to reduce the pain:
http://amzn.com/B000BD0RT0

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I just moved to a new building and somewhere in the process I lost all my pills. I just bought those.

:negative:

Saerdna
Aug 8, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

Unfortunately, the most foolproof way of weight loss (calorie counting) is also exactly the sort of task that ADHD folk are bad at. I trained myself to do it but it isn't easy.

That being said, you should be exercising regardless of your diet. Nothing is more helpful for my mental health than cardio.

I just installed the app Lifesum for that, and it really helps to make it manageable

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Chin Strap posted:

Barbell squats in addition to (still not enough) cardio are a huge help for me. I need to get back to food tracking, but thankfully I instilled enough knowledge of nutrition from when I was doing so that I've kept stable instead of gaining weight again. :toot:

Jared592 posted:

For anyone like me who gets mega neck pain/stiffness from taking their prescribed stims (Adderall here), I've noticed that taking two of these (magnesium) everyday seems to reduce the pain:
http://amzn.com/B000BD0RT0

:hfive:

These things are a godsend. My muscles stiffened up constantly even before I finally got prescribed ADHD meds. I also highly recommend grabbing a foam roller to help loosen them up.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Yesterday I had a very odd conversation with my mom.
I'm in my thirties now and she told me for the first time that when she was pregnant with me, she had the flu with extremely high fever,
and they didn't know how that was going to affect me. Sure enough, after some googling I found a study on more than 6000 Finnish kids,
that shows that moms who had the flu/high fever during pregnancy, their kid had significant more chance on having ADHD, anxiety and even bipolar disorder.
Although it's an ongoing study, a lot of these things show up later in life.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

mrfart posted:

Yesterday I had a very odd conversation with my mom.
I'm in my thirties now and she told me for the first time that when she was pregnant with me, she had the flu with extremely high fever,
and they didn't know how that was going to affect me. Sure enough, after some googling I found a study on more than 6000 Finnish kids,
that shows that moms who had the flu/high fever during pregnancy, their kid had significant more chance on having ADHD, anxiety and even bipolar disorder.
Although it's an ongoing study, a lot of these things show up later in life.

I read something similar about a link between kids born using forceps and the ADHD. I guess clamping on to a smooshy baby skull with metal tongs can affect the brain somehow. Who could have guessed?
(Yep, I'm a forceps baby. In addition to adhd, I've got a facial scar and a dent in my head as souvenirs)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Anyone ever have to sign a Stimulant Medication Agreement?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Anyone ever have to sign a Stimulant Medication Agreement?

A what now?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I crossed most of it out and handed it back asked if she wanted to sign the amended agreement which left-
"I understand that if I break this agreement, my physician reserves the right to stop prescribing stimulant medications for me. "

She laughed and printed my scripts out for the next three months.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, that's basically a regulatory/due diligence thing. They've been doing it for opioids for years because of increased pressure on prescribers to combat diversion, and the prescribers erroneously believe that making every patient sign a paper saying they won't get stimulants/opioids from any other prescriber and won't sell them and will take them as prescribed etc. etc. is sufficient. Oh, and the DEA does not force prescribers to tox screen their patients, but this is also a CYA effort.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
How long does it usually take to get prior authorization? The pharmacist told me it could be a week; does that sound right?

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013
It depends on how quickly your physician contacts the insurance company, and whether they accept the rationale for the authorization. You may have to contact your pharmacy daily to ask them to re-run the claim, the doctor's office usually will not contact the pharmacy once they submit the auth, and the insurance company rarely contacts the pharmacy to tell them it was approved.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Or you could be like my insurance company and just put the doctor on hold for literally hours every time he tries to call for an authorization.

This is insurance I pay $500+ a month for, mind. :911:

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

So I finally did it and talked to a new doc after my old primary care moved his practice. New Doc agreed I had ADHD and said I found coping mechanisms growing up, but as soon as I stopped doing certain tasks+routines I fell into a rabbit hole and never quite climbed out.

I tried to talk him into going the non-stimulant route, he wouldn't have it. Doctor basically said since we are just starting treatment, we're going with the meds that work faster and are proven to work well. Started on 2x10mg Adderal daily and WOW the difference its made in my life. I can engage on a task and disengage without issues. My studying for a certification is so much more focused its incredible. I had gotten 10 chapters into this certification book with some poorly written and scribbled notes. The new notes from 4 days into treatment where my handwriting improves I actually have coherent and thought out notations. The only odd item is my random dyslexia while writing seems to be hitting more. I tend to swap letters mid-sentence while writing but I am good at catching myself and fixing it.

Don't be like me and procrastinate getting tested if you're having issues. If a Doctor gives you an odd reason when you're borderline on one test, don't hesitate to ask for a different test if available. This second test I took, 41 and higher was considered ADHD prone, I scored a 57.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I've also heard there's something to do with trying to keep your hands/mouth busy as well, so chewing gum or mindless snacking is a big habit of a lot of adhd people who don't get the total hunger loss side effects.

There is, in school I chewed gum constantly and I've broken dozens of pens and chewed hundreds more. I've actually been given worry beads (I wore the threads down) and those squeezey stress balls to cope.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That explains a lot about my diet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Baka-nin posted:

There is, in school I chewed gum constantly and I've broken dozens of pens and chewed hundreds more. I've actually been given worry beads (I wore the threads down) and those squeezey stress balls to cope.

I definitely have a habit of disassembling and reassembling small objects. Pens are a big one, and I'd wear out the threads.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I definitely have a habit of disassembling and reassembling small objects.

Haha, holy gently caress. This literally explains my childhood/teenagerhood. Grass, sticks, Legos, paper......

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Me too. Fidgeting, constant subconscious need to disassemble and reassemble pens, tools, whatever, terrible handwriting, worse memory, the laundry list. Maybe I need to look into testing.

I can second the PA issues. I'm a pharmacist at a big box retail chain and PA's are the worst because we often have no idea they are even required until someone shows up or calls for their meds. Then we have to let the doctor know, and they'll never get back to us, so we just have to keep rerunning the claim when asked. We have no idea when the doc may get to it, and if they do, AND we find out, we don't have the time or ability to go through a "PA accepted" list and call everyone affected.

It's an imperfect system with plenty of holes that our workflow and staffing just don't allow proper addressing and it sucks.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
Finally going in for my screening after being 6 months on the waiting list.

Anybody else from the UK and know what to expect? How long from here if they decide I have ADHD (My GP believes I do which is why she agreed to put me on the waiting list) until I am medicated? Really want to get on with my life and goals but simply can't with what is almost certainly ADHD.

lithium flour
Jan 27, 2012

a fully digital ovine

Catsplosion posted:

Finally going in for my screening after being 6 months on the waiting list.

Anybody else from the UK and know what to expect? How long from here if they decide I have ADHD (My GP believes I do which is why she agreed to put me on the waiting list) until I am medicated? Really want to get on with my life and goals but simply can't with what is almost certainly ADHD.

I got a prescription at my first (for this) psychiatrist appointment and collected the meds from the hospital pharmacy on the way out. Good luck :)

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

Saw a clinical psychologist who went through a list of questions among other things and agreed that I had ADHD putting me on the waiting list for therapy and treatment which can take up to another 7 months which is insane as I had to wait 6 months for this appointment. I can barely function. I'll be having a word with my GP soon as she implied that once I had done the screening there was likely things she could do to speed up the process.

Guess I'm going to have to up my exercise and meditation regime as they are the only things that seem to help (slightly) until I'm medicated. At least I'm on the list now, I guess. Starting to think I should have gone private.

Was that your screening appointment or actual therapy / assessment appointment?

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 6, 2016

lithium flour
Jan 27, 2012

a fully digital ovine
It was the first appointment I had after GP referral. I had to wait a long time (most of a year iirc) for that first one but once it came through was all good and there wasn't any screening stage. Maybe it varies by hospital / NHS region? I hope you can get things hurried along, that seems really unfair.

v
Ha. Ha.

lithium flour fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 6, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Should be no problem getting things hurried along with all that EU money now going to the NHS

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

^ Heh.

Holothurian posted:

It was the first appointment I had after GP referral. I had to wait a long time (most of a year iirc) for that first one but once it came through was all good and there wasn't any screening stage. Maybe it varies by hospital / NHS region? I hope you can get things hurried along, that seems really unfair.

Ah. I think it is due to region as our area has very poor health and mental health services. I think my referral from here is to a ADHD clinic outside of my town/area IIRC.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Does anyone have any good readings/methods for dealing with of the lack emotional regulation that comes with ADHD? Googling mostly just gives me links to studies about it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Does anyone have any good readings/methods for dealing with of the lack emotional regulation that comes with ADHD? Googling mostly just gives me links to studies about it.

Smart but Stuck: Emotions in Teens and Adults with ADHD by Thomas E. Brown

The Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD by Lidia Zylowska

also therapy

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well, tomorrow I start back on Dexadrine for the first time in about 10 years. I'm hoping it'll have the same effect that it used to on me, and that I don't have to start trying out new meds all the time until one clicks. Dry-mouth and slight irritability (once it wore off) aside, I really miss the absolute mental clarity I used to have while taking it. It helped put me through school and get honours, it felt like it was the backup generator engine to when I'd start to wain and sputter out. Really hoping that it can help me again.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

So I skipped a bunch of pages so sorry if this has been addressed. I have awful mindfucking ADHD and now my 5 y.o. son has been diagnosed as well. He's pretty clearly got it as bad as me, or worse. We've got an IEP and are getting him placed in cross categorical kindergarten, and tomorrow we are starting him on a trial of stimulant meds. I got diagnosed at 22 so this is new territory for me.

My question is what kinds of activities should we plan for tomorrow to gauge his response? I was thinking of trying some No-Stress Chess http://www.winning-moves.com/product/NoStressChess.asp but beyond that I'm a bit at sea. Any suggestions are welcome.

I was hesitant about meds, but I really don't want him to have the same difficulty with school that I did.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Smart but Stuck: Emotions in Teens and Adults with ADHD by Thomas E. Brown

The Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD by Lidia Zylowska

also therapy

I'll check those out, thanks! I definitely plan on getting therapy when I can afford it.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

dobbymoodge posted:

So I skipped a bunch of pages so sorry if this has been addressed. I have awful mindfucking ADHD and now my 5 y.o. son has been diagnosed as well. He's pretty clearly got it as bad as me, or worse. We've got an IEP and are getting him placed in cross categorical kindergarten, and tomorrow we are starting him on a trial of stimulant meds. I got diagnosed at 22 so this is new territory for me.

My question is what kinds of activities should we plan for tomorrow to gauge his response? I was thinking of trying some No-Stress Chess http://www.winning-moves.com/product/NoStressChess.asp but beyond that I'm a bit at sea. Any suggestions are welcome.

I was hesitant about meds, but I really don't want him to have the same difficulty with school that I did.

Go ride bikes.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

dobbymoodge posted:

Find a therapist (NOT a psychiatrist) who specializes in ADHD and working with children and work on these things with them. Because it's a developmental delay disorder poo poo gets real complicated when you're talking about the early stages of development.

Also, ADHD doesn't have "severity". The symptoms can affect people in different ways based on their lifestyles, personalities, and abilities to cope, but someone doesn't have "more ADHD" than someone else in the same way you wouldn't say someone is "more diabetic" or "more paraplegic".

How are your son's impairments affecting his quality of life? What environmental treatment solutions have you tried? Stuff like bmod, organizational systems, increased supervision, etc.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Out of curiosity, could someone explain the emotional regulation for me?