Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mosaic #1 was hot garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Wheat Loaf posted:

I guess it's because that was just easier for Lee and Kirby and Ditko and the rest to plot it that way when they had to do something like 20 comics a month between them in the 1960s, then in the 1970s they kept doing it that way because there was no incentive to change, then when you got guys like Claremont coming in and doing longer stories with more foreshadowing and callbacks, it was coincident with Shooter as editor-in-chief maintaining this strict rule that every individual issue - even those which were part of a larger arc - had to function as a story in its own right introducing and resolving its own conflict.

I'm not sure when (to use your own description of it) :lost: style storytelling came into vogue - I know people will point to Bendis but I feel like it must surely have predated him.

To continue this conversation, I don't know much about comic history but I think Claremont got the ball rolling at Marvel when he took a series and elevated it with story arcs. Bendis took this to its natural conclusion and gave us this "decompressed" style that's so popular now.

The difference I feel is that Claremont mixed in the longer story arcs with the Lee/Ditko style short stories so you never have to wait long for a change of pace. (He also understood the use of foreshadowing and how to place a Chekov's Gun, an art that has never been mastered by mainstream comic book dickery. Everything is a post-modern wink and nod with the author pointing at some obvious foreshadowing and exclaiming "what could that be???? *yoinkyoinkyoink!*") Part of that was the experimental nature of what he was doing but it also keeps things invigorated and interesting, even going back and reading them today.

I dunno. There's a lot of frustration with mainstream entertainment right now, and I think comic books have the same problem everyone else does. They've copied their betters so much that they don't know how to tell stories anymore and they don't know how to keep their stable of characters fleshed out and interesting (with some exceptions.)

What makes it even more frustrating is how they insist on using elements from the :lost: story style without understanding what made them entertaining.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Today's issue of Deadpool was fantastic. The story it was telling could have easily come off too saccharine to the point of being out of character, or even crossed a line into distasteful. But Gerry Duggan managed to write a balanced story that was both sweet and true to the character of Deadpool while dealing with a very serious real issue. I liked in the back how he mentioned at first when he got the idea he didn't want to do because he didn't know how to play it but suddenly realized a way to serve the story and the character both properly.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I really appreciate how Uncanny Avengers feels like a team you'd put together in a Marvel video game, and today's issue was packed full of good old-fashioned ninja punching.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is Uncanny Avengers good now since Duggan started writing it?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

Is Uncanny Avengers good now since Duggan started writing it?

Yes. The first arc is a little rough, but it's been great ever since.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Gwenpool #7:

I'm pretty sure Cecil is going to end up snapping and becoming Gwen's next villain.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Neurosis posted:

using a word to mean the exact opposite of what the word is meant to mean would probably irritate a lot of people who are not spergs but whatever helps you sleep at night

Language is definitionally fluid and language prescriptivists are always on the wrong side of history, so literally actually literally means the commonly accepted definition of the word now, which is a modifier used for linguistic emphasis.

So if you are gonna play the needless pedant card you should at least be right.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

Today's issue of Deadpool was fantastic. The story it was telling could have easily come off too saccharine to the point of being out of character, or even crossed a line into distasteful. But Gerry Duggan managed to write a balanced story that was both sweet and true to the character of Deadpool while dealing with a very serious real issue. I liked in the back how he mentioned at first when he got the idea he didn't want to do because he didn't know how to play it but suddenly realized a way to serve the story and the character both properly.

I absolutely 100% agree. Suicide issues strike close to home for me and comics make it saccaharine or an easy way for heroes to solve a Real World Issues via basic "empty truism self-aggrandizement" - see also, rear end' treatment of suicide - but this felt totally honest while being emotionally resonant. This was easily Duggan's best work and genuinely incredible.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Language is definitionally fluid and language prescriptivists are always on the wrong side of history, so literally actually literally means the commonly accepted definition of the word now, which is a modifier used for linguistic emphasis.

So if you are gonna play the needless pedant card you should at least be right.

we're not at stage 5 (or 4) of garner's five stages of language change just yet, buddy.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Neurosis posted:

we're not at stage 5 (or 4) of garner's five stages of language change just yet, buddy.

Sorry man, the fight's over.

I think that's at least a 3, probably a 4.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 14, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Words should definitely mean whatever I want them to mean. Who needs definitions anyway?

Toxxupation colds fart firetruck roster!!!!

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Aaaaanyway...

Nerdist has an article showing a the first few pages from Invincible Iron Man and a few variant covers.

http://nerdist.com/riri-williams-soars-in-marvels-invincible-iron-man-1-preview/?gallery=448524#gallery

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Man, I don't know what the hell is going on in Moon Knight, but I love it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I've been pretty bored with the current OML story, but the last issue redeemed it.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

El Tortuga posted:

Man, I don't know what the hell is going on in Moon Knight, but I love it.

What's so hard to understand? MK was in an asylum with his supporting cast, except that it was all an illusion by an Egyptian god and NYC was being covered in sand and MK fought an earlier version of himself, except that that was all an illusion by Konshu who wants to take over MK's body as his new vessel except that MK is an actor filming something while also flying around in a spaceship fighting evil werewolves with Frenchie while they're also in a cab that crashed and Frenchie died except that Frenchie's body disappeared and now MK's at a diner where everyone is dead?

God, I love the new Moon Knight book.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The big plot twist Moon Knight is gonna be that you pronounce the K in Knight--so it's really sounded like Moon Kuh-Night all along.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Howard the Duck had a great ending, guys. Punisher Sentinel and Biggs are the best.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

X-O posted:

Just got around to reading it, it was really good.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

http://www.previewsworld.com/Article/185248-Exclusive-Septembers-Top-100-Best-Selling-Comics

Marvel's getting smoked in the top 50. I'm glad Black Panther is doing well. Is the Dr. Strange book selling well because of movie hype or is it actually good?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I buy it and like it and I'm not all that excited for the flick.

e: It's better than Hal Jordan, Green Lanterns, Cyborg, Action Comics, Nightwing, Titans, Harley Quinn, Flash and Suicide Squad, going up that list. Probably the Deadpools too, but I dunno.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 16, 2016

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I liked the final issue of Howard the Duck, going to miss the monthly dose of lunacy, seeing what demented costume mashups comes up with next, and 616 May being rather cool and likable middle aged woman instead of a terrifying doddery old mummified corpse thing.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I hear Aunt May likes stocky, balding, funny men.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Teenage Fansub posted:

I buy it and like it and I'm not all that excited for the flick.

e: It's better than Hal Jordan, Green Lanterns, Cyborg, Action Comics, Nightwing, Titans, Harley Quinn, Flash and Suicide Squad, going up that list. Probably the Deadpools too, but I dunno.

Latest arc of Strange is off to a great start. Looks like we'll get all the classic villains.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

I liked the final issue of Howard the Duck, going to miss the monthly dose of lunacy, seeing what demented costume mashups comes up with next, and 616 May being rather cool and likable middle aged woman instead of a terrifying doddery old mummified corpse thing.

Once Graduation comes out, I guarantee they try and revamp May to be more like Marisa Tomei.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Obligatory monthly declaration that Uncanny Avengers is actually really good and enjoyable. And yeah, this writer really gets Deadpool.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BrianWilly posted:

And yeah, this writer really gets Deadpool.

Duggan is the writer of Deadpool.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

fadam posted:

http://www.previewsworld.com/Article/185248-Exclusive-Septembers-Top-100-Best-Selling-Comics

Marvel's getting smoked in the top 50. I'm glad Black Panther is doing well. Is the Dr. Strange book selling well because of movie hype or is it actually good?

Is Marvel selling worse or just that DC is spiking way higher in sales?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Marvel seems largely disinterested in physical sales with an increasingly larger focus on digital, DC just did a medium reboot that was framed as one giant apology.

ed: Also DC's getting the usual bounce considering this time last year they were getting crushed in physical sales. Like absolutely crushed. So the fact that Rebirth is reviewing well means their sales are briefly overcompensating as everyone who dropped N52 DC in disgust comes back. It should normalize.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 17, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think a lot of Marvel's current readers buy digital and/or through trades instead of physical single issues, so that probably explains a bit.

Also, I don't get why Solo, Foolkiller, and Slapstick all got solo comics. Are they popular, because they've been really uninteresting characters in everything I've read them in so far.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I hear Aunt May likes stocky, balding, funny men.

Pray she never meets Puck.

"So, tell me, how is it that a man like you, so bald and so quirky and funny... how is it you're not taken?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sentinel Red posted:

Aunt May is a lovely old lady and you are a rudelord.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Aunt May is a walking corpse animated by demon magic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Marvel seems largely disinterested in physical sales

I wouldn't bet on that.

Axel Alonso probably won't say so in his next CBR column, but I'd be shocked if people aren't getting pretty upset internally.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 17, 2016

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Decius posted:

I read comics on my Pixel C with a 10.1" screen (which is a bit bigger than that of the iPad) and while it normally works great, splash pages and how you can only view them in pieces if you want to read them are a reason I honestly think about getting an iPad Pro 12.9" when it gets a refresh in spring (although I'm not a big fan of the locked down nature and general UI of iOS) just for that. Also the amazing True Tone display with increased colour space. I saw it on the smaller iPad Pro and that poo poo looks unbelievable good, even compared to the already outstanding display of the Pixel C.

I've been reading comics on a Galaxy Tab S 10.5" for the past couple of years and considering upgrading to a Pixel C.
Comparing tech specs has been helpful, but I need to test reading comics on the Pixel before I take the plunge... or Google can make my day on Black Friday.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Very few Marvel titles have digital sales that are higher than their physical sales. And they are also very hesitant to launch major new books as digital only since physical copies make up so much of the comics sales pie.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

I think a lot of Marvel's current readers buy digital and/or through trades instead of physical single issues, so that probably explains a bit.

Also, I don't get why Solo, Foolkiller, and Slapstick all got solo comics. Are they popular, because they've been really uninteresting characters in everything I've read them in so far.

They were okay in Deadpool and the Mercs for Money. Solo's first issue was exactly what you'd expect which is meh. And I swear Duggan was writting it, but it was still really meh.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Just from my LCS, it seems fatige is setting in about Rebirth, a lot people have dropped all but a few titles, but that was bound to happy once people figured out what they wanted to follow. A lot of books started out strong but fell off, I know Detective was fantastic in its first arc, but this current crossover is meh and the next arc is Batman on Suicide Squad, no thanks. I dunno what is going to happen in Batman, but I hope it decent, as I really enjoyed the Gotham arc.

Though Biweekly and a drop in quality is going to kill the momentum. I think once Marvel ends CW2 and books can be their own again I hope to see a bump up for marvel so things are more even between the big two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Batman's Suicide Squad thing is coming up in King's Batman. Det is doing an arc around a gang of people crippled by bat-vigilantism or something.

I'd enjoy it if everyone was doing well, and it was good news all-'round. Apart from The Walking Dead, there aren't many indie hits right now either.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 17, 2016

• Locked thread