Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pakled posted:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/299473-trump-threatens-to-sue-over-nasty-campaign-ads

Yes, Donald, sue your political opponents for libel, while you're running for president. I loving dare you.

Well, I guess that puts paid to any worries he's calming down any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Wouldn't that irradiate the gas, ruining it? Or would it make it better?

Oil deposits usually lie within a mile or more of the surface, radiation wouldn't affect them. You might have issues digging in an irradiated area, but then, most population centers tend to be away from oil fields.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Pakled posted:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/299473-trump-threatens-to-sue-over-nasty-campaign-ads

Yes, Donald, sue your political opponents for libel, while you're running for president. I loving dare you.

choice quote:

quote:

It was not immediately clear which ad Trump was referring to.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Subjunctive posted:

Do you have a reference to an analysis of how the platforms did and did not converge? I'm curious.

It's my subjunctive estimation.

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much this.

I think Sanders would win if he'd gone for it but the idea that Sanders would have an easy time seems predicated on the idea that he'd weather the infinite scandal machine unscathed and I think that's a pretty big if. Sanders would have youth enthusiasm on his side but how vulnerable that enthusiasm is would be a big question. Sanders strikes me as someone forthright which might make a strong comparison to Trump but also might leave him vulnerable to what we saw with Kaine and Pence yesterday where he's struggling to fight against an endless tied of lies. Clinton has many flaws but I absolutely believe she's more comfortable in the middle of the muckraking fight than most politicians would be.

Against a reasonably strong Republican he could get stuck in the scuffle. But against Trump? Sanders would just watch him self-destruct.

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't think some people are taking into account how insanely good Hilary's campaign team is. Imagine Bernie's team in the general coming close to what Clinton's team has done. They're coordinating so well it's scary.

I agree. Hillary's team is great. But again, Bernie's team will be going against...Trump's team...

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 6, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Pakled posted:

Someone never heard of Sullivan v. NY Times

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Covok posted:

Apparently, Trump has decided he hates transgender people now. Probably always did and the bathroom was an anomaly. He complained about "our PC military accepting transgender soldiers."

Uggghhhhh

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Barry Goldwater always came off to me as "Ron Paul of the 1960s".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Augus posted:

Uggghhhhh

Yeah.... that got overshadowed by the PTSD comments (and arguably, rightfully so), but it was the same event as that one.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Covok posted:

Apparently, Trump has decided he hates transgender people now. Probably always did and the bathroom was an anomaly. He complained about "our PC military accepting transgender soldiers."

he flipped on hb2 back in june.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

But her sex keeps her from being part of "the establishment"?
im glad a dude on the internet is here to tell us how sexism affects women

anyway, uh, yes. she got into politics right around the same time that women were (finally) starting to be openly accepted in and fairly common in politics. so. yes. literally, yes.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's basically it.

He was libertarian as all hell and most of those idiots are just regurgitating his talking points against the civil rights act to this day.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Instant Sunrise posted:

he flipped on hb2 back in june.

I assume hb2 was the bathroom law.

Man, I really just want modern conservativism to go away. Like, wake up tomorrow and have it be gone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really genuinely want there to be two (or more) political parties where I can understand both sides and even if I don't agree with them I at least can understand logical reasons why they disagree.

I know this isn't a thing that has ever actually really been but it sure would be nice.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I can imagine that Megyn Kelly is going to be extra vicious to Hannity on election night.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

"Say what you will about sending Jack -booted thugs to round up jews deport Latinos, but at least it's an ethos."
~Trump supporter, 2016.

People who say they respect people with strong opinions no matter what their opinions may be need a major reality check.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/jmgehrke/status/783859798068559872

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I really genuinely want there to be two (or more) political parties where I can understand both sides and even if I don't agree with them I at least can understand logical reasons why they disagree.

I know this isn't a thing that has ever actually really been but it sure would be nice.
i feel like the closest to that fantasy we'll ever get is arguing over which democrat should get the presidential nomination

like with clinton vs sanders this year

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Do you think racism was ended when Barack Obama became President? Do you think he never suffered any discrimination, prejudice or hatred based off his race after he became President?

Prejudice and discrimination don't end when you become famous. At best it takes on a different shape.

I agree but has racism or discrimination ended because of Obama being president? Clinton becoming president will not strike a fatal blow to misogyny. And as such, voting for her because she's a woman is ridiculous to me.

Now I'm plainly not a woman and I would vote Hillary if my vote mattered at all (I live in Texas so what I've been told of our voting system means my vote literally doesn't count as all of the state will go to Trump) but I just don't think sex matters here. I suppose it kind of does in that Trump is a sexist pig and sexist pigs will turn out to vote for him but him being a man has no real bearing on that. He's just a terrible human being, period.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

She's been in the upper echelons of American politics for a couple decades. But her sex keeps her from being part of "the establishment"?

Watch PBS' The Choice and don't post again until you do.

NikkolasKing posted:

And as such, voting for her because she's a woman is ridiculous to me.

Nevermind. Go gently caress yourself.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Trabisnikof posted:

So what should our policy with Iraq have been in your perfect world then?

Probably to institute perfectly normal bilateral relations focused on trade and investment. Saddam was horrible but not bad enough to justify starving all those poor people and keeping out needed medicine. And again, demonizing him helped Bush down the road.

I'm surely in the minority on this position though so I'm not gonna exert any more effort on it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

I agree but has racism or discrimination ended because of Obama being president? Clinton becoming president will not strike a fatal blow to misogyny. And as such, voting for her because she's a woman is ridiculous to me.

Now I'm plainly not a woman and I would vote Hillary if my vote mattered at all (I live in Texas so what I've been told of our voting system means my vote literally doesn't count as all of the state will go to Trump) but I just don't think sex matters here. I suppose it kind of does in that Trump is a sexist pig and sexist pigs will turn out to vote for him but him being a man has no real bearing on that. He's just a terrible human being, period.

Vote. loving Indiana was too close to call for hours in 2008. You never know which states are going to suddenly be competitive.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

NikkolasKing posted:

Check back some pages, someone linked a tweet with stats saying hillary is within 7% of trump in Texas.

Now that's still "running away with it" for trump, but that may well be the closest we'll see Texas to being blue.

ALWAYS VOTE. Every vote matters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I suppose it kind of does in that Trump is a sexist pig and sexist pigs will turn out to vote for him but him being a man has no real bearing on that.
why do you think people who are extremely sexist, would rather vote for an incompetent man, over a competent woman

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

NikkolasKing posted:

Popular vote matters in this election because it is a de facto referendum on white nationalism, and a slim popular vote win for Clinton means "well, we'll try again next time" but a landslide for Clinton will send a much stronger message.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

i would think that that would lead to a bunch more people saying that "both sides are the same!!"

Endorph posted:

i feel like the closest to that fantasy we'll ever get is arguing over which democrat should get the presidential nomination

like with clinton vs sanders this year

my state's senate race is like that this year for the general election actually.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

But her sex keeps her from being part of "the establishment"?

ImpAtom posted:

Yes? Are you aware you are literally making an alt-right argument?

Do you think racism was ended when Barack Obama became President? Do you think he never suffered any discrimination, prejudice or hatred based off his race after he became President?

I feel that you two are arguing over each other.

It seems to me what NikkolasKing means by "establishment" is by common policies that benefit the party and "the elite" such as supporting the military industrial complex, keeping taxes at level that is still unfair to the working class, curtailing any influences to keep the Democratic Party from being more left wing and "for the people".

In contrast, ImpAtom and friends are using "establishment" as existing people in the Democratic Party. As in Hillary can't be part of the establishment due to the fact that the top levels in government have been a "no girls allowed" club up until pretty recently.

To simplify: NikkolasKing is arguing about Hillary's ideology. ImpAtom and friends are arguing about Hillary's term of influential political standing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

im glad a dude on the internet is here to tell us how sexism affects women

anyway, uh, yes. she got into politics right around the same time that women were (finally) starting to be openly accepted in and fairly common in politics. so. yes. literally, yes.

Ehhhh...I'm not going to weigh in on whether or not Clinton is part of the "establishment," since that's an insanely subjective term. But I don't think the fact that she's a woman automatically inoculates her. That would be like saying, "Clarence Thomas got into politics right around the same time that black people were (finally) starting to be openly accepted in and fairly common in politics; therefore he can't be part of the establishment."

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

NikkolasKing posted:

You can start fighting against misogyny by realizing you're in the wrong here. You're making the exact arguments the mythical Bernie Bro turned Trump twerp makes.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/783851803200872448

We have the best surrogates :3: :3:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Apraxin posted:

Lol, good job Donald:

USPOL Oct: Trump Apparently Did Not Hear Them

This is hilarious to me because I'm phonebanking into Nevada, and one of the trainers is super insistent on people getting this correct. Wish I had seen this before I had gone over today

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

You can start fighting against misogyny by realizing you're in the wrong here.

Talking down to people like that isn't going to get them to vote as you want them to vote. I'm saying that as someone who wasn't always in the bag for Clinton, but is now.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

you already posted that you think that the most accomplished woman in US politics with decades of experience has literally no guiding principle aside from personal ambition. Sex clearly matters to you, whether or not you're aware of it

Also, "voting for her won't definitively solve women's issues forever" is a lovely as gently caress reason for dismissing the importance of electing a woman. The effect on the perceptions of the next generation will be enormous.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

NikkolasKing posted:

Why not vote for her anyway then? Apparently we're down 7, which next cycle could be down 5, then 3, then maybe even flip? My vote doesn't matter is almost always a vote for the other guy. I live in South Dakota, which assuredly is going Trump, but I'll be voting for Hillary anyway.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The Glumslinger posted:

This is hilarious to me because I'm phonebanking into Nevada, and one of the trainers is super insistent on people getting this correct. Wish I had seen this before I had gone over today

so, uh, how is Nevada pronounced again? haha, asking for a friend...

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Future White House Press Secretary or anchor at Trump News Network emboldens

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

It absolutely does matter.

For one Hillary Clinton is a woman and, at bare minimum, is at least approaching women's issues as a woman and not as Donald Trump. Considering that issues such a abortion, equal pay and other factors are an issue in this election and her opponent is Donald Trump, yes, that is an actual relevant difference between the candidates and is a reason for someone to consider voting for her.

There were African-Americans who voted for Barack Obama because they believed that he would be more sympathetic and more understanding to their problems coming from a similar racial background. Are you saying they were ridiculous or wrong? That Obama's viewpoints on race may not be influenced by his own heritage more than Joe BIden's would be? That doesn't even mean Joe Biden has bad views but he inherently is going to have different views.

Even beyond that you going 'sex doesn't matter' is provably wrong. Sex does matter in this election. Clinton is attacked on her sex constantly if you notice it or not. Do you notice how often she's told that she doesn't smile enough or that's she is too shrill? Do you not think that Hillary Clinton's views on equal pay for women, time off for maternity leave, and other factors which are part of this election and discussed in debates may not be influenced by her gender and her own experiences?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 6, 2016

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

punk rebel ecks posted:

Barry Goldwater was seen at the time as the guy that was going to get everyone loving nuked to death. In an era where almost everyone in America was a fanatical anti-communist, Goldwater was seen as a deranged nut in that regard.

Everyone just nodded when LBJ ran that commercial that implied Goldwater would get cute white girls roasted in atomic fire.

E: During the presidential campaign he said the US should have nuked Vietnam... back in loving 1954!

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 6, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The top comments on these are always instigators wishing Dems had as much infighting as the GOP :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Riatsala posted:

so, uh, how is Nevada pronounced again? haha, asking for a friend...

https://youtu.be/oXNKQW7QQFc

• Locked thread