Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

therobit posted:

If you have kids all you care about with produce is that it is fresh, ripe, and has not started rotting. Anything beyond that takes too long to find.

Lol no, no kids, just an extremely picky girlfriend. Bananas must be yellow, but also with no discernable brown spots, otherwise they are worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I bet you can make a lot of people mad online by adding "Capitalism Has Failed" in impact font to every picture of bare shelves and long lines this storm is generating.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
"this is your grocery store on capitalism"

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I'm working my barback shift at Jake's on 4th in Olympia and it is a fuckin ghost town out there. As a recent transplant from Colorado/South Cali the west slope is not prepared for drat snow and this poo poo is as wet and slippery as I've ever seen.

Also going to Freddie's earlier was hilarious at the level of visibly panicked white suburbanites buying prepper levels of food. After getting some propane I went to Groce Out and Jay's Farm Stand, the difference was ridiculous. P much everything was in decent stock and nobody looked visibly freaked out.

Tumwater is loving weird.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I'm working my barback shift at Jake's on 4th in Olympia and it is a fuckin ghost town out there. As a recent transplant from Colorado/South Cali the west slope is not prepared for drat snow and this poo poo is as wet and slippery as I've ever seen.

Also going to Freddie's earlier was hilarious at the level of visibly panicked white suburbanites buying prepper levels of food. After getting some propane I went to Groce Out and Jay's Farm Stand, the difference was ridiculous. P much everything was in decent stock and nobody looked visibly freaked out.

Tumwater is loving weird.

Oh poo poo, is Jake's the place with the hot dog stand you can order from off the sidewalk? I used to work in Oly and that was one of my favorite places to grab a quick lunch. Cream cheese and jalapenos. If I'm misremembering I blame legal weed.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
We seem to be managing pretty well for the catastrophe of 3 to 6 inches of snow on a weekend.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Losing power is a very real fear and possibility and I don't begrudge anyone preparing as much as they can for that situation. Like if you have small kids, losing power in the middle of the winter is stressful as gently caress.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It's just spraying rain down here. LAME.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Woke up this morning to less than half an inch of snow in Clackistan. Lame.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

therobit posted:

Woke up this morning to less than half an inch of snow in Clackistan. Lame.

We had about 2 or so up on Mt Scott, but it’s otherwise pretty clear, and Costco is practically deserted at opening time.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

No snowpocalypse in Gladstone :(

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Losing power is a very real fear and possibility and I don't begrudge anyone preparing as much as they can for that situation. Like if you have small kids, losing power in the middle of the winter is stressful as gently caress.

One of my favorite things about disaster prep is that it gives me cover to buy camping gear.

"Sorry babe but we all need down sleeping bags in case the power goes out and we can't run the furnace. We don't want the kids to freeze! Oh, this outdoor burner set will keep us cooking. Gee I better buy a water filter in case the big one hits and we don't have access to clean water anymore. You don't want our kids drinking contaminated water do you? "

therobit fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 9, 2019

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

therobit posted:

One of my favorite things about disaster prep is that it gives me cover to buy camping gear.

"Sorry babe but we all need down sleeping bags in case the power goes out and we can't run the furnace. We'r don't want the kids to freeze! Oh, this outdoor burner set will keep us cooking. Gee I better buy a water filter in case the big one hits and we don't have access to clean water anymore. You don't want our kids drinking contaminated water do you? "

Conversely, my wife would rather die than let me feed her the MREs I’ve got stashed in the garage

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Got four inches in the NE Portland/Gresham area. I can't get my compact car to the main thoroughfares. I had to cancel an appointment in Sherwood, which apparently got zero snow and they probably think I'm lying.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
There's quite a few downed trees in Ravenna Park this morning.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I bought bread because the power is unlikely to be out for more than a few days, and sandwiches are easy to make without needing power. I just assume that's what everybody is doing...? Does that not make sense?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Thanatosian posted:

I bought bread because the power is unlikely to be out for more than a few days, and sandwiches are easy to make without needing power. I just assume that's what everybody is doing...? Does that not make sense?

I bought flour, oil, and yeast so I could be as utterly insufferable as humanly possible about being able to make my own bread, right up to when a power outage renders my oven inoperable

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Solkanar512 posted:

The snow in Marysville started mid morning really heavy, melted off a great deal, and started up again.

Also, you guys seriously need to try the grocery pick up services. I just parked, called the number, and a weeks worth of groceries were loaded up in my car yesterday afternoon.

No lines and no bullshit.

Tried this with Safeway for the first time last week. They sent expired meat (by like a week, not just day of or something), left a few items out, and made substitutions that introduced ingredients my partner cannot consume. Definitely not bothering with that again.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I live in north seattle and I have an ungodly long uphill driveway. Just shoveled like 8 inches off it. Took 2 hours. I'm so so very glad this is a rare occurrence.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

super nailgun posted:

Tried this with Safeway for the first time last week. They sent expired meat (by like a week, not just day of or something), left a few items out, and made substitutions that introduced ingredients my partner cannot consume. Definitely not bothering with that again.

Whoa, that’s some loving bullshit right there. I’ve had great luck with Fred Meyer.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

super nailgun posted:

The horror stories like this I hear seem to be store specific.

It seems like it just takes one cost cutting manager for that service to turn to absolute crap.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
So it begins.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
I haven't used the Safeway delivery in years, but isn't there an option where you can tell the grocery picker to not make substitutions if they're out of something you've ordered? But yeah there's no excuse for stuff that's expired by a week.

I always used it for non-perishable stuff that wasn't likely to vary in quality anyway and for that it was mostly pretty good. Made living far from a supermarket without a car much easier back in the late 00s. Nowadays I bike to nearby stores and supplement with online orders for big/heavy stuff. I love the snow but it messes up my grocery routine...

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I'm gonna use my bread maker for no good reason.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/davidcansler/status/1093991623577358336?s=19

Edit: this was yesterday. Do you people just have one day of food or something? Holy smokes.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
The Johnson Creek one was pretty empty at about 10:30 this morning, I think the Alameda ridge people are just nuts

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Oscar Wild posted:

https://twitter.com/davidcansler/status/1093991623577358336?s=19

Edit: this was yesterday. Do you people just have one day of food or something? Holy smokes.

I have a grocery store a block from my house so... kinda?

ALSO: WHY ARENT PEOPLE SCOOPING UP ALL THOSE BALLOONS????

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
North end of Tualatin Valley phoning in. It's cold and windy here, but the roads are bare. Feel free to raid our grocery stores if you can get to them; I'm settled in for the weekend.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

According to Cliff Mass(who was pretty much spot on about this storm), Seattle gets another inch or two on Sunday night and then gets nearly a foot on Tuesday.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Peachfart posted:

According to Cliff Mass(who was pretty much spot on about this storm), Seattle gets another inch or two on Sunday night and then gets nearly a foot on Tuesday.

*weeping* gently caress climate change. gently caress you to hell.

Real talk, husband is down in Enumclaw and I asked him to try hitting the hardware store down there for a snow shovel.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

silicone thrills posted:

I live in north seattle and I have an ungodly long uphill driveway. Just shoveled like 8 inches off it. Took 2 hours. I'm so so very glad this is a rare occurrence.

Got like 6-7 inches in Tacoma, shoveling now ;)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Boarding ships out at anchor was loving nuts this morning. Also two semis skidded off the road near Tacoma this morning off 90.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Thanatosian posted:

You're missing out, everyone else is making French toast.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The promise of more snow in the coming days has spooked me into buying bread. That and all the bread talk really made me want a grilled cheese sandwich.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I got some English muffins to go with eggs and bacon tommorow. The rest of the bread aisle was annihilated but drat if people ignored their breakfast breads.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
https://twitter.com/TrimetPDX/status/1094337022548824065

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...ont-enforce-it/

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

quote:

Adams County Sheriff Dale Wagner wrote that I-1639 “appears to violate the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution” and that he would not enforce it.

It’s not clear which section of the wide-ranging law Wagner thinks is unconstitutional, and he did not respond to requests for comment.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Invest in public education

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lol that account is retweeting anti-vaxxers and Bill Maher