Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

AnoHito posted:

Probably also spurred on by the fact that they could literally be killed. I think that would kind of make you want to get married sooner rather than later...

Getting married before I risk my life in Ansbach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
don't worry, if you don't get married your sweetheart can always marry your helmet

at least i think that's a thing the us army does, maybe im thinking of something else

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Al! posted:

don't worry, if you don't get married your sweetheart can always marry your helmet

at least i think that's a thing the us army does, maybe im thinking of something else

Slippery slope!!!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Business Gorillas posted:

I paid off my loans this year :toot:

All I had to do was have my dad die :smith:

that's how i paid mine off early, years ago, except it was my mom :smith:

on a thread-related note, my chudly brother wanted to blame the ~estate tax~ for the ordinary income taxes we each had to pay on our modest inheritance (aka the money from our mom's public school teacher pension) :rolleyes:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

VitalSigns posted:

his bank started adding the maximum amount you could overdraw your account to the balance it reported to ATMs. In other words if he checked his balance at an ATM it would show him $250 more than was actually in his account.

I had to read this twice.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I know people who think the younger generation are dumb because they don't know how to balance a checkbook.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

PostNouveau posted:

I thought you couldn't discharge student debt though?

you can't it stays with you simply because you default it doesn't mean it goes away it basically means you are open to being sued for it or garnished

I defaulted but ended up making an arrangement and was able to start making lower payments to prevent it from becoming a garnishment. I basically stopped paying because at the time they wanted an insane amount per month assuming that fresh out of college I was going to have a six-figure job and despite trying to go through the regular channels that allow you to reduce your payments it was so tedious that it would take me almost a year to get through the process that you have to renew yearly to get that benefit

Fed loans suck is what I am saying

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I know people who think the younger generation are dumb because they don't know how to balance a checkbook.

Balance sheets are a fundamental,construct of finance though?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

VitalSigns posted:

Oh man I just remembered my favorite lovely bank story.

One of my friends was away for university and his bank account was a lovely local bank from his hometown with no online banking service whatsoever. This meant in order to know your balance you must
(1) Go into a bank branch and ask
(2) Keep your own check register like it's 1990, or
(3) Check your balance at an ATM

He relied on (3). Unbeknownst to him (because all correspondence from his bank went to his mom), his bank started adding the maximum amount you could overdraw your account to the balance it reported to ATMs. In other words if he checked his balance at an ATM it would show him $250 more than was actually in his account. Because he was a poor college student, he often went below a $250 balance (which was really a $0 balance) and was overdrafting all the time until his mom noticed the overdraft letters coming to her house and called him up to say "hey stop overdrafting your account it's really expensive".

Now you could say it's all his fault for not keeping a check register, but who the hell expects an ATM to lie to you about how much money you have when you do a balance inquiry
:psyduck:

I want to say he did eventually succeed in getting the overdraft fees refunded by badgering the bank about how bullshit it was so there's that (after which they said "ok now you know so we're never refunding another one") but still goddamn.

never use banks always use credit unions

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I’ve said this for years here and elsewhere, why does annnnyone use capital one or chase? Fooled by hook promotions and too lazy to change?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

i dont know how to cobble either, or operate a livery :shrug:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

I’ve said this for years here and elsewhere, why does annnnyone use capital one or chase? Fooled by hook promotions and too lazy to change?

I've got a Capital One card that I do the buy candy bar -> pay off at end of month -> repeat thing but mostly only because I've had it for like 15 years so canceling it would murder my average age

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
for people with good credit the amazon chase is one of the best rewards cards at the moment

no guesses as to how those generous benefits are paid for

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

got any sevens posted:

i dont know how to cobble either, or operate a livery :shrug:

Or add and subtract simple numbers? :shrug:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bhodi posted:

for people with good credit the amazon chase is one of the best rewards cards at the moment

no guesses as to how those generous benefits are paid for

was considering that but went with store credit instead, if I'm spending for points it's going on my Southwest card for subsidized flights to visit family which is more valuable to me than store credit or whatever

plus any card with elite-tier rewards, even if your credit is perfect, requires spending like 10k in 6 months for them which lmao not even close buddy

My credit shot up like 250 points when I moved a ton of my old credit debt and collections accounts to a signature loan account instead. I owe exactly as much as before but it's on a different spreadsheet so obviously that makes me a superior human

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's a big difference between never before needing to balance a checkbook and being unable to comprehend the concept

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Burt Sexual posted:

Balance sheets are a fundamental,construct of finance though?
I mean physically having a checkbook, recording every transaction, then double checking your account.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Epic High Five posted:

I've got a Capital One card that I do the buy candy bar -> pay off at end of month -> repeat thing but mostly only because I've had it for like 15 years so canceling it would murder my average age

I have an old secured card that I got when I was 21 and has a 300 dollar limit and I just donate 15 bucks to MSF every month. Charitable AND keeps my credit score healthy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

you can't it stays with you simply because you default it doesn't mean it goes away it basically means you are open to being sued for it or garnished

I defaulted but ended up making an arrangement and was able to start making lower payments to prevent it from becoming a garnishment. I basically stopped paying because at the time they wanted an insane amount per month assuming that fresh out of college I was going to have a six-figure job and despite trying to go through the regular channels that allow you to reduce your payments it was so tedious that it would take me almost a year to get through the process that you have to renew yearly to get that benefit

Fed loans suck is what I am saying

Oh, dude the income based repayment plan is worth the hassle. I'm paying <$200 a month

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PostNouveau posted:

Oh, dude the income based repayment plan is worth the hassle. I'm paying <$200 a month

i hosed my wife’s nice $100 payment over by marrying her and whoops looks like you’re payin a cool grand now

having a babby actually allowed them to lower and defer it somehow

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

PostNouveau posted:

I wish it was as easy for me. Then again, I do a shitload of subcontractor work so my income isn't as set as yours may be and that was part of the problem however now I'm in a much better situation and the payments are reasonable.

Also echoing the credit union thing, they are so much better than banks in almost every way.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i hosed my wife’s nice $100 payment over by marrying her and whoops looks like you’re payin a cool grand now

having a babby actually allowed them to lower and defer it somehow

Friend of mine files taxes separately from her husband so that she can keep her ultra-low payment. Not sure about the rules, but she pays less than my electric bill every month.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

My credit union (and I assume most credit unions) makes deals with other credit unions in the area and allow each other's customers to use their ATMs for free. You just have to know the locations, and if you're lucky then you won't have to drive too far in comparison to the surrounding bank ATMs. I am lucky.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

My credit union (and I assume most credit unions) makes deals with other credit unions in the area and allow each other's customers to use their ATMs for free. You just have to know the locations, and if you're lucky then you won't have to drive too far in comparison to the surrounding bank ATMs. I am lucky.

my cu is linked to the local school district and there are an absolute poo poo load of atms for them

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

cumshitter posted:

i worked in extremely predatory lending and sometimes i would see people submitting superfluous documentation and all sorts of weird poo poo. like i remember a pre-paid debit/credit card called Scott Card or something. sometimes id look up these weird little banks operating next to a hot dog on a stick at the mall when i was bored and the "debit cards for people blacklisted from normal banks" all had gently caress-you-over-a-barrell terms

probably the most famous example of what im talking about is the Kim Kardashian Kard. yes, they with with K for Kard not seeing the obvious connection people were going to make there.

here are the fees:

Is it charging 2 dollars to pay off your bill?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Nah it's $2 if you want to use the card to send a check to another place to pay like your electric bill

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I can use all ATMs in like 25 different countries and not get charged a thing extra, get on the EU level scrubs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at how doomsday economics this thread got jfc americans get so hosed over its incredible

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
lol at America still using cheques

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

lol at America

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Syncopated posted:

I can use all ATMs in like 25 different countries and not get charged a thing extra, get on the EU level scrubs

we will never get on the EU's level, because our extremely similar populations, demographic and physical distribution, and landmass size are actually extremely different, and therefore anything that works over there will never work here because we're Exceptional

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Doctor Spaceman posted:

lol at America still using cheques

AND balances.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
no balances
only cheques

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

As a European, they don't do this, because we have at least the appearance of financial regulation (at the consumer level anyway). You also don't get charged for withdrawals from any ATM unless you have some extremely poo poo account

Well there are some private cash machines in the UK - these tend to be small stand-alone ones which are usually inside shops etc. rather than a "proper" ATM built into a wall, and they sometimes charge you £2-3 for withdrawals (though viewing balance is free). They're somewhat rare though and they have to tell you on the screen "You will be charged £x.xx for this withdrawal, continue?".

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

They only tend to be in low income areas though, where fewer people have access to transport, and coincidentally located right next to a bunch of businesses that don't take card payments.

Being poor is loving expensive.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I've personally mostly seen them at petrol stations and such where the banks might not be bothered about putting a real ATM in but the place wants to provide a service (and make a bit of cash) anyway. What you say may also be true. Checking account balance is always free though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Truga posted:

no balances
only cheques

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

that's how i paid mine off early, years ago, except it was my mom :smith:

on a thread-related note, my chudly brother wanted to blame the ~estate tax~ for the ordinary income taxes we each had to pay on our modest inheritance (aka the money from our mom's public school teacher pension) :rolleyes:

every time I see an online discussion of the estate tax at least 20% of the comments are people that are convinced they’re going to have to pay estate taxes on grandmas $1400 Hummel collection when they inherit it.

Burt Sexual posted:

I had a $500 limit capital one card when I had lovely credit in college and they’ve never once raised the limit in the 12 years since. Like my discover card has now gone from $2000 to $30000 but the capital one just sits there at $500 because their entire business model is low limits and high overdraft charges. I don’t use it but I also haven’t closed it because there’s no real reason to since there’s no annual fee and since it’s my oldest account closing it will hurt my credit score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Millennial: "Whatchu doing?"
Boomer: "Balancing my checkbook, how did you not learn this in school?"
Millennial: "Where's your budget?"
Boomer: *points at last balance*