Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

if your goal is to get into government, a good policy is one that is easy to communicate and understand, and that people like

if your goal is to govern well, a good policy is one that does all the humanitarian things that we know and love

if your platform to get elected requires nuance and explanation, you have failed

e: tony abbott was good at the former, but not the latter, which is why he loving sailed into government and then completely failed to achieve anything while there

bell jar fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

bell jar posted:

if your goal is to get into government, a good policy is one that is easy to communicate and understand, and that people like

if your goal is to govern well, a good policy is one that does all the humanitarian things that we know and love

if your platform to get elected requires nuance and explanation, you have failed

e: tony abbott was good at the former, but not the latter, which is why he loving sailed into government and then completely failed to achieve anything while there

Maybe we could all agree to do our bit by supporting good government, instead of tacitly accepting the idea that good government is electoral suicide.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

you can enact good government from government, you need to get in first. the libs will happily claim to do tons of popular poo poo during an election and then completely ignore it afterwards, time and time again, people don't care because they're tuned out and apathetic. just appeal to their interests with broad popular policy, and then govern well from there

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Serious question:

Who was the last Australian Politician that people could actually get excited about? Left or Right.

To my mind Kevin07 comes closest, but I still reckon that doesn't count coz the hype there was just that he was "not John Howard".

it's hard to remember if anyone gave a gently caress about her at the time, but Gillard's "i will not be lectured about misogyny" speech was a bit of a moment

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Girlboss yas kween moment that predictably overlooked the substance of her tenure (she slashed welfare subsidies for single mothers literally on the same day)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

all politicians are bad, op.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

freebooter posted:

IMO you can explain the good policies countered with STOP THE BOATS and AX THE TAX as much as you want, but the reason they cut through isn't that they were simpler but because they appealed to people's desires. Most people (or a lot of people, in the right electorates) don't want to help foreigners and don't give a toss about climate change.

For the average punter, even one that might be interested in these things as policy, they are still item #100 on their laundry list of poo poo they want from a government.

For the feral suburbanite, they are priority #1, in so far as they have a vitriolic hatred of both items.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

freebooter posted:

Girlboss yas kween moment that predictably overlooked the substance of her tenure (she slashed welfare subsidies for single mothers literally on the same day)

And her refusal to do anything about Craig Thomson because it would gently caress up her numbers.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Bob Katter meets his yearly good point quota

https://twitter.com/MartySilkHack/status/1458946105345937410?s=20

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

lol

https://twitter.com/kennedyawards/status/1458750459083034624?s=20

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

all the judges are from news corpse

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

gods own perfect honest boy

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

gods own perfect honest boy

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

gods forgiveness, squandered on someone who has never needed it

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

bert newton was lowtax

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

bert newton was lowtax

belvedere didnt even recite a poem its a farce

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
So One Nation has actually made a pretty funny little cartoon which is worrying:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PaulineHansonOz/status/1458962995086725135

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Big Willy Style posted:

So One Nation has actually made a pretty funny little cartoon which is worrying:

getting some real kampfy vibes

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Brave New World? Did the government mandate drug fuelled orgies?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Premiere reckons Care And Compassion is what people dying painfully of terminal illnesses need instead of assisted dying.

What a prick

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Big Willy Style posted:

Honestly they nailed Dutton

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Premiere reckons Care And Compassion is what people dying painfully of terminal illnesses need instead of assisted dying.

What a prick

dying people need to be alive longer to have their votes farmed for LNP/taxes paid/tithing paid so they get into heaven when they do die

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Ketan Joshi delivering some quick reactions to the Government's 'modelling' of The Plan.

The highlight being that the modelling behind The Plan doesn't even get to net zero by 2050

A less than 1/3rd reduction in emissions, and then some of the remainder is accounted for with offsets, but they just leave 15% off as not even being modelled by their fantasy technology.

https://twitter.com/KetanJ0/status/1459008049121800192?s=20

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/1459007013183102980
https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1459010486905688071

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

you are cordially invited to join me and every television and radio reporter in australia in screaming "the coalition have a fully funded plan for net zero by 2050" into anthony albaneses face from 2 inches away for the next several months

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Another highlight that doing stuff to avoid climate change looks economically bad if you just decide not to model the economic benefits of avoiding it.

https://twitter.com/KetanJ0/status/1459006842152136707/photo/1

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Australia's new radical political party: The Booters

Their platform is simple, to legalise a single law - if Australia doesn't reach net zero by 2050 then it will be legal for all current politicians, party members and their staffers to be kicked to death with a big heavy boot ala The Simpsons

They'll probably also try to legalise cannabis or something, you know what these minor parties are like

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

gently caress yuo

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

:eyepop:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The most powerful oppositional force in this country is Pauline Hanson's Please Explain Bitmoji Cartoon

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Pretty hosed up

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
So which party is going to do NFTs during the election campaign?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Someone pitch to the LNP that they should use a blockchain for donations because of how "anonymous" it is.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

lol i am an Australian voter you can't explain poo poo to me

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Animal Friend posted:

lol i am an Australian voter you can't explain poo poo to me

that's necessary

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
I am an Australian voter I will vote for whoever overturns the vapeban and lowers taxes on beer.

Those two policies alone are enough to win in a landslide. Why does Canberra refuse to listen?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Albo rocking up to the debate with a vape mod and pumps out Max clouds into Scott's face.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

ColtMcAsskick posted:

I am an Australian voter I will vote for whoever overturns the vapeban and lowers taxes on beer.

Those two policies alone are enough to win in a landslide. Why does Canberra refuse to listen?

Noone gives a poo poo about vaping nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Solemn Sloth posted:

Noone gives a poo poo about vaping nerd

Wrong