Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arivia posted:

People can’t post in QCS. QCS is closed.

mashallah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm going to lighten up my request to not provide feedback in this thread, since me coming in here and just dumping this it is a little weird. So feel free to speak up. If it goes on for longer than a page or two, I'll ask that we move on so I'm not hijacking the thread. As before, you're more than welcome to PM me, reach out to admins, or post in QCS. I do plan on making a general SH/SC feedback thread after the New Year, as it's been a while since we did one of those. And thanks again for the folks who took the time to PM me about this, much appreciated. And thanks to the folks who make this thread what it is. As far as I can tell, it's probably the best place to discuss Mac stuff on the internet and y'all should be proud.

I would just like to ask you to not ban arguments and differences of opinion in this thread. Permitting diversity of opinion makes this thread much more useful as a product recommendation thread.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
The charge cables that come with magic mouse and keyboard are about a foot long. Definitely good for plugging in at a desk.. Thank you crapple!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

silence_kit posted:

I would just like to ask you to not ban arguments and differences of opinion in this thread. Permitting diversity of opinion makes this thread much more useful as a product recommendation thread.

Heard loud and clear. I don't think banning arguments or differences of opinion regarding the Studio Display (or other Mac hardware) was ever on the table and the only feedback I got that mentioned the concept was feedback against banning it. More just asking that everyone take it down a notch.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Every time I see you post, I say to myself, goddamnit, another Internet Explorer post. I think it's not you or your style so much as the content. The reaction comes from the fact I find it really pathetic how most of your posts include a note about how you'd been summoned to a thread because of Reports. Who the gently caress tattles? I hate that there's enough people to summon you. You come into threads basically enforcing the fact that people use this thread for advice in their shopping. Any deviation from normal shopping -- passionate shopping opinions, talking about something besides shopping, invites a Report, and then you come here, and most of your posts include the disheartening information that users are using the Report button to enforce shopping.

It's not even that I'm against shopping. But I do hate your posts. It means that there are people hanging out on computers who need every online thing set into neat little rows where, when they click the thread about Mac shopping, they want to see that shopping, and if they don't see it then they think they're doing the other shoppers a good service to go click Report and have a mod to come here and address the tension or whatever and re-right the ship and return the thread to its rightful task answering "what should I buy?" questions, because that's what gives this thread value. No one's a villain in their own head, the people hitting Report must believe that they are helping you fix something. I don't know. What I do know is The Apple Computer company releases things like two times a year. There's not ENOUGH hyper-opinionated nonsense debates to nowhere. I wish you would stop posting, but more, I wish the small group of terrible users here would stop asking you to come put the fire out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

silence_kit posted:

I would just like to ask you to not ban arguments and differences of opinion in this thread.

Yeah, if I wanted that I'd go to Reddit. I come here FOR the differences of opinion, and the sort of semi-serious shitposter editorial opinions only goons can provide.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 1, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mofabio posted:

Every time I see you post, I say to myself, goddamnit, another Internet Explorer post.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Magic Mouse's charging port location is astonishingly ugly and bad. It actually feels like an unfinished product because of it. But I think I prefer how it is rather than some covvoluted solution like a wireless charging pad since the recharging is so infrequent anyway.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The Magic Mouse's charging port location is astonishingly ugly and bad. It actually feels like an unfinished product because of it. But I think I prefer how it is rather than some covvoluted solution like a wireless charging pad since the recharging is so infrequent anyway.

I feel Apple could have placed it facing the rear, and obscured the port like they do on the iPad 9/Classic style chassis; on an area that curves underneath and away.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The Magic Mouse is I think the one Apple product I can think of that is utterly indefensibly awful.

housefullofgarbage
Jan 16, 2019

The Summer of Garbage
I bought the studio display (with adjustable stand) in spite of the “advice” from this thread, and I think it’s probably one of the best apple products I’ve ever bought.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

The Magic Mouse is I think the one Apple product I can think of that is utterly indefensibly awful.

Those Apple TV remotes with the touch sensitive parts that are too drat small and way too sensitive tho

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I told my wife to check out the Magic Trackpad, since you all were talking about it. How badly did I mess up?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I told my wife to check out the Magic Trackpad, since you all were talking about it. How badly did I mess up?

It’s good. Best mouse Apple ever made by a country mile

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The tragic macpad has a name that is fun to make an insult out of but is actually super good. The only company capable of making a laptop trackpad did a smart thing by letting desktop users in on the action too.

The Magic Mouse charge port is where it is because they didn’t want people to use it plugged into a cable all the time right? Silly for sure but I guess the super short charge time means it’s a good excuse to take a break then come back and continue.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I've owned both models, And they're so good I haven't used a mouse in ten years.

:iia:

The current one is also a lot tougher; I think it uses Gorilla Glass 5? I've dropped mine at least seven times and it hasn't cracked yet. And it'll last basically forever as there's no moving parts; even the "click" of the trackpad is done haptically.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 1, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Those Apple TV remotes with the touch sensitive parts that are too drat small and way too sensitive tho

Hmm I’ve never really given much thought to Apple TV. The lack of a web browser was a deal breaker for me.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

I've owned both models, And they're so good I haven't used a mouse in ten years.

:iia:

The current one is also a lot tougher; I think it uses Gorilla Glass 5? I've dropped mine at least seven times and it hasn't cracked yet. And it'll last basically forever as there's no moving parts; even the "click" of the trackpad is done haptically.

Really the top is glass? I never would have guessed from looking at it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Hmm I’ve never really given much thought to Apple TV. The lack of a web browser was a deal breaker for me.

Apple will never add one because being able to use Google Suite on a $150 Apple TV 4K would DESTROY Mac Mini and iMac sales.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thank you Mac thread for not steering me wrong. :pray:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Really the top is glass? I never would have guessed from looking at it.

Yeah, it's frosted, with a plastic backing. Also comes in black now.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mister Facetious posted:

The battery is a wear item which will definitely fail, only it's impossible to take the thing apart and replace it without destroying it. Hopefully it (and the Magic Keyboard) don't care as long as the lightning cable's plugged in. (Who actually needs a desktop trackpad to be wireless, anyways?)

Also the rubber feet will eventually turn to mush and/or fall off, but you can buy generic rubber feet and stick them on. The feet are semi important - Apple's fake click haptic feedback works better with the device supported by something that has a little give.

e: although now that i pulled my tragic macpad out of the drawer and messed around with it, when you apply pressure the entire top glass surface can move down towards the plastic base and springs back when released, so there's springs or foam or whatever built into the thing and depending on what that is, it may wear out

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 1, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

the biggest trick Apple TV had was AirPlay, and now Rokus have it in 4K for $30.

I just do everything on phone/MacBook Pro/iPad and cast however appropriate to the TV.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mofabio posted:

Every time I see you post, I say to myself, goddamnit, another Internet Explorer post. I think it's not you or your style so much as the content. The reaction comes from the fact I find it really pathetic how most of your posts include a note about how you'd been summoned to a thread because of Reports. Who the gently caress tattles? I hate that there's enough people to summon you. You come into threads basically enforcing the fact that people use this thread for advice in their shopping. Any deviation from normal shopping -- passionate shopping opinions, talking about something besides shopping, invites a Report, and then you come here, and most of your posts include the disheartening information that users are using the Report button to enforce shopping.

It's not even that I'm against shopping. But I do hate your posts. It means that there are people hanging out on computers who need every online thing set into neat little rows where, when they click the thread about Mac shopping, they want to see that shopping, and if they don't see it then they think they're doing the other shoppers a good service to go click Report and have a mod to come here and address the tension or whatever and re-right the ship and return the thread to its rightful task answering "what should I buy?" questions, because that's what gives this thread value. No one's a villain in their own head, the people hitting Report must believe that they are helping you fix something. I don't know. What I do know is The Apple Computer company releases things like two times a year. There's not ENOUGH hyper-opinionated nonsense debates to nowhere. I wish you would stop posting, but more, I wish the small group of terrible users here would stop asking you to come put the fire out.

i'm going to report you for being a goober. that's my post, and it is not a post about shopping.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

BobHoward posted:

The battery is a wear item which will definitely fail, only it's impossible to take the thing apart and replace it without destroying it. Hopefully it (and the Magic Keyboard) don't care as long as the lightning cable's plugged in. (Who actually needs a desktop trackpad to be wireless, anyways?)

Also the rubber feet will eventually turn to mush and/or fall off, but you can buy generic rubber feet and stick them on. The feet are semi important - Apple's fake click haptic feedback works better with the device supported by something that has a little give.

I think I've had the second generation ever almost since it came out, those batteries will last for years more. And you underestimate the utility of a super slim, yet full size wireless trackpad you can throw into a bag with an iPad, or use on the couch with an htpc Mac

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, it's frosted, with a plastic backing. Also comes in black now.

Yes I have the black one. Never would have guessed it was glass though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Yes I have the black one. Never would have guessed it was glass though.

lol of course you would overspend for a cosmetic change

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

You do know you can post without being a jerk to others about their apple hardware choices right

Like everyone’s bending over backwards to chill the thread down a bit without dogpiling you and you just keep making it worse. Why?

housefullofgarbage
Jan 16, 2019

The Summer of Garbage
Since apparently this is a shopping advice thread.

Is there a Bluetooth mouse without rubber coating? I had a Logitech M720 for a couple of years, maybe 3. I loved it actually, but last week the rubber started wearing out and it was getting very sticky where the rubber wore through. In a fit of rage I peeled off all the rubber and now I have a nonsticky mouse that has rough edges. To replace it, I impulse ordered an mx master 3s but I think it also has rubber coating and I am worried I’m just going to have the same problem after a few years. If there’s a better option I would return it.

Can’t do the Magic Mouse. Too flat, gives me RSI. Don’t want gaming poo poo with LEDs. Can’t do tragic macpad, just too used to a mouse.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

The black keyboard and trackpad match my studio display. Ultimately it was a relatively small amount of money in the grand scheme of things given I bought a studio display and an M1 Max studio. Aesthetics matter to me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Arivia posted:

You do know you can post without being a jerk to others about their apple hardware choices right

Like everyone’s bending over backwards to chill the thread down a bit without dogpiling you and you just keep making it worse. Why?

dude, how about you chill out?

Lord Bude is a big boy and he gets joshed all over the forums for being a strident steak-on-the-barbie fancy lad, so much so that somebody somewhere gave him a red text about it. He can dish and jive just as well as anybody. This is a place for goons, and he's way more goon than you appear to be.

Also, where do you get off calling me a buzzkill, when you posted this chestnut not four posts ahead of mine?

Arivia posted:

i'm going to report you for being a goober. that's my post, and it is not a post about shopping.

-----------
Edit:

The Lord Bude posted:

The black keyboard and trackpad match my studio display. Ultimately it was a relatively small amount of money in the grand scheme of things given I bought a studio display and an M1 Max studio. Aesthetics matter to me.

I paid extra for a black polycarb macbook in 2007, I'm giving you poo poo

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

housefullofgarbage posted:

Since apparently this is a shopping advice thread.

Is there a Bluetooth mouse without rubber coating? I had a Logitech M720 for a couple of years, maybe 3. I loved it actually, but last week the rubber started wearing out and it was getting very sticky where the rubber wore through. In a fit of rage I peeled off all the rubber and now I have a nonsticky mouse that has rough edges. To replace it, I impulse ordered an mx master 3s but I think it also has rubber coating and I am worried I’m just going to have the same problem after a few years. If there’s a better option I would return it.

Can’t do the Magic Mouse. Too flat, gives me RSI. Don’t want gaming poo poo with LEDs. Can’t do tragic macpad, just too used to a mouse.

this is an issue with a lot of Logitech mice I find, and also gaming type mice in general. The soft touch material is nice to grip but then it breaks down after a while and gets sticky and yucky. the alternative tends to be hard glossy plastic which isn’t very nice for other reasons.

my next mouse will be this (it has Bluetooth, USB and wifi connectivity):

https://lunarartefacts.com/collections/pointer-instruments/products/pointer-instruments-modernist-brown

the bottom shell is Aluminium, the top shell that your hand rests on is hand stitched full grain French leather, and all the parts are designed to be serviceable/replaceable so you can use it for many years.

obviously it’s a tad expensive though so not for everyone.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Lord Bude is a big boy and he gets joshed all over the forums for being a strident steak-on-the-barbie fancy lad, so much so that somebody somewhere gave him a red text about it. He can dish and jive just as well as anybody. This is a place for goons, and he's way more goon than you appear to be.

Also, where do you get off calling me a buzzkill, when you posted this chestnut not four posts ahead of mine?

-----------
Edit:

I paid extra for a black polycarb macbook in 2007, I'm giving you poo poo

I must confess to being extremely fancy.

My present red text was obtained in this very thread if memory serves me.

I have to say I personally think I’ve come a very long way from the time when 19 year old me took out a personal loan in order to spend $8k on my very first gaming PC. It sounded like a jet engine and had a grossly inappropriate number of LEDs in a wide assortment of colours.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 1, 2023

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
CRAPPLE!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

It was a joke, you silly goose. I didn’t actually make a report. I’m not the one with multiple probes for making GBS threads up the thread already. I’m just trying to help you break the cycle.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Has anybody used the mount so you can use the iPhone as a Continuity Camera on a non-Apple display?

This one: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HQ652ZM/A/belkin-iphone-mount-with-magsafe-for-mac-desktops-and-displays

I’ve got an M1 Air working in clamshell mode connected to a 3rd party display, and I was going to put the mount on top of that display, assuming I actually buy it. Just curious if there’s any issues with connectivity/recognition of the camera if I use it.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mofabio posted:

The reaction comes from the fact I find it really pathetic how most of your posts include a note about how you'd been summoned to a thread because of Reports. Who the gently caress tattles?

Yeah, I'm also not a fan of how posters use the report system. The moderators often don't really read the threads, so the narratives in the reports become the new reality. It really makes for a worse webforum.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
goons all over the forums really are coming together to get weird about being asked not to use certain words

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

housefullofgarbage posted:

…Can’t do the Magic Mouse. Too flat, gives me RSI. Don’t want gaming poo poo with LEDs. Can’t do tragic macpad, just too used to a mouse.

Does anyone know of a wireless mouse that has responsiveness suitable for Illustrator/Photoshop? I use a MBP with external monitor/keyboard/mouse, plus 2 printers, and the mouse is now the only thing with a cord (minus the monitor of course).

I’ve tried a few Bluetooth options but nothing has been as quick or precise as a cheap, bog-standard USB 2-button mouse from HP or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Arivia posted:

It was a joke, you silly goose. I didn’t actually make a report. I’m not the one with multiple probes for making GBS threads up the thread already. I’m just trying to help you break the cycle.

but your joke posts aren’t funny though. My posts are funny. Maybe you don’t find them funny, but I find them funny and enough other people seem to find them funny too.

If scoldy reply guys like yourself didn’t NARC on this thread to the mods every single time the conversation got remotely interesting or goony then maybe my rap sheet would be a bit shorter and also people might enjoy posting in this thread more without feeling like the only thing they’re allowed to do is give (the approved) boilerplate buying advice without any emotion or opinion and praise people and give them headpats and bellyrubs when they overspend on an Apple device because Apple made it.

The Reddit Apple community is huge and enthusiastic, we really don’t need to turn this place into Apple Reddit. If you’d prefer the vibe and culture there then maybe go there.