Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Sticky Profits posted:

Not so much a screenshot as a working thing. Have been following an ML course and doing some React stuff lately and so built this:

http://whatshouldicost.com

Basically you connect your Github account and based on the languages you use and your length of experience, it'll give you a guesstimate of what your annual salary should be using data derived from the StackOverflow Dev Survey.

Would be interesting to hear how accurate it is!

Very cool. It shows I'm underpaid, which I am.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

fletcher posted:

What I terrible mentality to have...

Thats a perfectly reasonable mentality to have if something has been working fine. Unless you are working on a large team or frequently need to work away from your internet SVN is still a decent choice for source control.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
working on a 'registration form replacement' for internet video game fantasies
(really 50% of the reason is for integrated goonauth without having to visit yet another auth page)

hoping to support at least 5-6 forums by release time

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Awesome, looks nice too.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Worked on a little web based game where you have to guess the english phrase from the awkward backtranslated phrase

and it mostly works on mobile too which is pretty surprising

It's up here: http://lindseyb.github.io/phrases-machine/ if you want to play.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

clockwork automaton posted:

Worked on a little web based game where you have to guess the english phrase from the awkward backtranslated phrase

Neat. How is the prompt text generated? It's weird that it can contain a solution word:

(Also the button sizing is busted in IE11)

Also I seem to be able to type too fast for it some times and it'll skip letters.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

clockwork automaton posted:

This is super cute. I'm having trouble in Firefox with the cursor jumping multiple characters with each keystroke.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

Newf posted:

This is super cute. I'm having trouble in Firefox with the cursor jumping multiple characters with each keystroke.

Same here; also seems to be related to typing too fast like factormystic mentioned.

Neat though!

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

bobthenameless posted:

Same here; also seems to be related to typing too fast like factormystic mentioned.

Neat though!

Yeah that's a bug I'm working on. I haven't yet figured out a good fix.

Edit: Luckily this shouldn't be an issue anymore. Finally figured out a solution.

clockwork automaton fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 9, 2015

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

Factor Mystic posted:

Neat. How is the prompt text generated? It's weird that it can contain a solution word:

The prompt text was generated doing some scraping magic because I didn't want to pay to use the google translate API - I went through later and set the points by hand based on the difficulty. Some of them are way easier than others.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
So, uh, it might not be quite as impressive as some of the other projects in here, but...

Should probably crosspost this to the Coding Horrors thread.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Edward_Tohr posted:

So, uh, it might not be quite as impressive as some of the other projects in here, but...

I fully support the development of awesome text adventure games. A dying art, my friends.

I doubly support it if you're making an engine so I can make my own text games, like the old Adventure Game Toolkit.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.
Text stuff? I'm making a MUD!

Helado
Mar 7, 2004

I use livestreamer with twitch from time to time, but tend to channel surf a bit and wanted a way to manage the streams in a VLC playlist. So, I wrote a flask app to process the URLs, interface with the livestreamer python API, and send the data over HTTP to VLC.

I just add URLs to the playlist as network stream "localhost:port/w/<url>/<quality>" and can then use normal playlist management without launching new VLC/livestreamer instances. With a threaded WSGI server it works for multiple streams at a time.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Helado posted:

I use livestreamer with twitch from time to time, but tend to channel surf a bit and wanted a way to manage the streams in a VLC playlist. So, I wrote a flask app to process the URLs, interface with the livestreamer python API, and send the data over HTTP to VLC.

I just add URLs to the playlist as network stream "localhost:port/w/<url>/<quality>" and can then use normal playlist management without launching new VLC/livestreamer instances. With a threaded WSGI server it works for multiple streams at a time.

Would you be willing to post the source for this? I've always wanted to do this but :effort:

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Helado posted:

Seconding the source request, also cheers on the good taste in Monstercat :):hf::)

Helado
Mar 7, 2004

Uploaded to github:
https://github.com/drjson/livestreamer-host

src: https://github.com/drjson/livestreamer-host/blob/master/lshost.py
Hopefully it works out of the box.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
I finished tidying up my movie simulation game. There's a whole bunch of screenshots and a download at this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718656

Edward_Tohr posted:

I've been working on a text game too, though not quite as complex.

It's a wee labyrinth game a couple of days ago as well and it's come together surprisingly fast.

The game generates a random maze (still need to add interface to allow the player to pick dimensions) and plops you in one corner. There's a monster that moves around the maze and will chase you if it sees you. There's no map so you have to find the exit while dodging the monster which you can hear if it's nearby. You also get encouraging messages if you're near the exit.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Added some lava chunks to my explosions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Wrote a shader to re-create the appearance of a running defrag program

Don't ask me why :v:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

munce posted:

Added some lava chunks to my explosions.
It'll look cooler if you vary their speed. :)

Also, if you want a sense of scale, probably a good idea to slow them down significantly very quickly after the explosion.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Spatial posted:

Also, if you want a sense of scale, probably a good idea to slow them down significantly very quickly after the explosion.

I was going to say, those globs must be moving close to the speed of light, but I guess the asteroid is too.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Wrote a shader to re-create the appearance of a running defrag program

Don't ask me why :v:
I want two. :allears:

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Spatial posted:

Manslaughter posted:

I was going to say, those globs must be moving close to the speed of light, but I guess the asteroid is too.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Slowed down and varied speed on the chunks. Looks much better

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

munce posted:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Slowed down and varied speed on the chunks. Looks much better

Now THAT is a sexy meteor impact.

Voronoi Potato
Apr 4, 2010

munce posted:

Are your particles accelerating opposite of the direction of the surface normal, because I think it'd be neat if the particles orbited and stuff.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Voronoi Potato posted:

Are your particles accelerating opposite of the direction of the surface normal, because I think it'd be neat if the particles orbited and stuff.

The particles start with a random velocity away from the origin of the explosion, then they are affected by gravity. I can change the parameters to get them to go out into space then come back in again, maye even around the planet once or twice, but i found it just doesn't look good. This is 100% fake physics, so real orbital mechanics are not going to happen.

Shalinor posted:

Now THAT is a sexy meteor impact.

:v:

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

munce posted:

I'm being ultra critical on this, and I know there's so much you can do with realtime graphics, but I know what I'm seeing is not what would happen. Even if it's in fast motion, particles from the explosion would look to remain almost stationary for a long time and either get ejected out of the Earth's gravity or get pulled back into orbit. Some could eventually crash back, and if they do, they'd cause long plumes of debris or ocean water and again look to remain almost stationary for a long time. Even though there's more involved to do this graphically, you could create textured cylindrical plumes for the large and smaller impacts that stretch outward and stay for a while then fade.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Physically speaking, the particles would not go into orbit, or circle multiple times before crashing. They would do one of three things:
suborbital velocity: crash less than one rotation around the planet
orbital velocity: go around the planet exactly once and crash back where they started
escape velocity: go away and never come back

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Dr. Stab posted:

Physically speaking, the particles would not go into orbit, or circle multiple times before crashing. They would do one of three things:
suborbital velocity: crash less than one rotation around the planet
orbital velocity: go around the planet exactly once and crash back where they started
escape velocity: go away and never come back

I would think that if some are able to reach an orbital velocity (with the right speed and inclination), then others would have be able to reach an orbital velocity that was > 1 orbit with high eccentricity that would degrade quickly after a few orbits?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It doesn't matter the eccentricity. The only thing we know about their orbits is that they started out in a position that intersects the planet, so the orbit then must intersect the planet at at least that point. Modeling effects that cause orbit degredation would shrink the orbit, and make it impact sooner, not later.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I'm being ultra critical on this, and I know there's so much you can do with realtime graphics, but I know what I'm seeing is not what would happen. Even if it's in fast motion, particles from the explosion would look to remain almost stationary for a long time and either get ejected out of the Earth's gravity or get pulled back into orbit. Some could eventually crash back, and if they do, they'd cause long plumes of debris or ocean water and again look to remain almost stationary for a long time. Even though there's more involved to do this graphically, you could create textured cylindrical plumes for the large and smaller impacts that stretch outward and stay for a while then fade.

thank you for the criticism. the idea with is is to make a cool looking explosion for a game, not a realistic simuation. i am sure there are many more graphical effects i could add on to enhance the appearance, but the behaviour you describe, as far as i can model it, just does not look cool. and that decides what goes into my game.

Dr. Stab posted:

It doesn't matter the eccentricity. The only thing we know about their orbits is that they started out in a position that intersects the planet, so the orbit then must intersect the planet at at least that point. Modeling effects that cause orbit degredation would shrink the orbit, and make it impact sooner, not later.

kayakyakr posted:

I would think that if some are able to reach an orbital velocity (with the right speed and inclination), then others would have be able to reach an orbital velocity that was > 1 orbit with high eccentricity that would degrade quickly after a few orbits?
as i said to the guy above, this has nothing to do with realism and everything to do with looks.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

munce posted:

as i said to the guy above, this has nothing to do with realism and everything to do with looks.

Sorry, we were nerding out over something that had very little to do with your animation.

Dr. Stab posted:

Yes, but there's a fair gap in velocities between a velocity required for escape and a velocity that is required for orbit, no? So the orbital velocity that has debris going around exactly once is significantly less than the escape velocity which has debris leaving orbit entirely. I'm questioning what happens to the debris that's in that middle ground.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Do not anger the sun god

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

kayakyakr posted:

Sorry, we were nerding out over something that had very little to do with your animation.

Yes, but there's a fair gap in velocities between a velocity required for escape and a velocity that is required for orbit, no? So the orbital velocity that has debris going around exactly once is significantly less than the escape velocity which has debris leaving orbit entirely. I'm questioning what happens to the debris that's in that middle ground.

It goes around once, but goes higher and takes longer.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Weather today will be sunny with high UV.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

kayakyakr posted:

It's just in a more eccentric orbit. Things operating purely under the effects of gravity don't spiral towards or away from things. In a simple two body system, the only shapes you can make are an ellipse, a parabola or a hyperbola.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

quote:

I got the initial alpha release of the ROM manager finished.

Here's a new UI (which is limited to mostly the functional stuff now), with a few new enhancements thanks to drasticactions

Pre-launching

And here's the very beginning of a game playing on the big screen via streaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmCZeIQ83Ow

As far as I'm aware this is the only way to play ROMs with game streaming technology at the moment. The white noise isn't coming from the screen it's for our baby. Bad demo I know but it works as a proof of concept.

Release page for anyone interested: https://github.com/Noppadet/Emulation-Manager/releases/tag/v0.5.0 homepage: http://www.hometheatertablet.com/tritium-emulation-manager-steam/

I've only had time to configure the controller with PCSX 2, which is the .lily file there. So if you're interested in streaming non-PS2 games this isn't there yet. It should work great for any desktop use though. So if you want to just launch emus and roms from Steam you shouldn't need more than this.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 19, 2015

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

munce posted:

Weather today will be sunny with high UV.

I'm enjoying these screenshots but it seems like this game will end two minutes in when the entire earth is destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

munce posted:

thank you for the criticism. the idea with is is to make a cool looking explosion for a game, not a realistic simuation. i am sure there are many more graphical effects i could add on to enhance the appearance, but the behaviour you describe, as far as i can model it, just does not look cool. and that decides what goes into my game.

I think it would look cool, but okay. I think it's pretty neat, but to avoid it making it look like little balls of cheese magnetically attaching itself to the earth, make them have some sort of small impact effects when they do that. ;)