Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Lowen SoDium posted:

O'brien was still an officer when Wesley was on the ship.

The only reason I remember this is because I watched the episode last week, but when Worf's dad comes on board he explicitly calls O'Brien a Chief Petty Officer. Wesley was still around at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The Space Hippy ep is on BBCA now.

Man, this is bad.

Spock now jamming with the chick playing the deformed bicycle wheel.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

The Space Hippy ep is on BBCA now.

Man, this is bad.

Spock now jamming with the chick playing the deformed bicycle wheel.

Look at this Herbert. :rolleyes:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I just watched Harry Mudd's appearance on TAS.

It's the best episode of trek I've ever seen

• Spock and Kirk pick up Mudd as he is scamming some miners with a creature out of the second edition DnD manual
  • Mudd manipulates Nurse Chapel into the idea of a love potion for snaring Mr. Spock
  • Chapel literally falls into Spock's lap to activate the love potion and she's all :wiggle: and he's all :geno:
  • Chapel then returns to Mudd in a rage because the love potion didn't work, and Mudd kidnaps chapel and escapes in a shuttlecraft
  • During this escape the love crystals are vaporized and fed into the Enterprise's ventelation system
  • Meanwhile, Spock reports to the bridge that he's experiencing "some strange...emotions." He then begins to profess his love of Nurse Chapel. When he does this, it gets incredulous looks from everyone on the bridge, which includes a cat woman and a dude with four arms
  • Kirk and Spock beam down to the planet after getting a snoot-full of the love potion. Spock falls down and Kirk is there to grab him and then Spock is all "I'm so glad I have a friend like you." They hug
  • Mudd and Chapel meanwhile are being attacked by rock monsters the size of small hills. Pretty sure they are also DnD monsters
  • Meanwhile everyone on the Enterprise has fallen in love. Really poo poo luck for Mr. Scott here: Lt. Uhura is off duty, so he gets to fall in love with a Cat woman.
  • Kirk and Spock meet up with Chapel, Mudd, and the 23 HD Abberations. Kirk orders an emergency beam up - cut to the transporter room, where two poorly animated people are dancing to soft music. Cut back to Kirk going "hmmmmm....."
  • They defeat the monsters using the last of the love potion so that one fights the other - dude didn't make his save I guess. The rock monster then of course expresses a little affection to Captain Kirk and I want you to bring this up the next time somebody says "Captian Kirk was all about seducing the ladies"
  • The Enterprise is now coming off the love drug. Mr. Scott says "I've got a hangover to shame all previous hangovers. And I did'ne touch a drop of scotch!" Cat woman: "Not so loud, you fool."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
TAS actually predates Dungeons and Dragons.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh my god the TAS blu-ray comes with little posters for every episode

Want

I assume to put them on blu-ray they upscaled the originals; the simple style used by funimation should make it pretty easy to make it look naturally HD with the right algorithms. I wonder how it turned out.

(Hell, doubt they did it, but the right interpolation would probably even be able to up the jaggy-rear end animation framerate)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 8, 2016

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

I gotta love a Trek-mode captain who yells "up yours" at a dude

Early seasons Captain Archer on Enterprise was all being diplomatic and stuff when meeting new species, and deferential when fights started. Late season Cap'n Archer was given a surrender order by a Klingon warship, shouted "Go to hell!" at them over the viewscreen, and opened fire.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

My favorite part of the love potion episode is when it turns out the "love" effect only lasts a few minutes, followed by an hours long hangover that makes them hate everyone. There's a great progression from Mudd thinking he's selling worthless rocks to being all "holy poo poo these actually work" to suddenly realizing that they do work, but not in a way anyone would want.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Duckbag posted:

My favorite part of the love potion episode is when it turns out the "love" effect only lasts a few minutes, followed by an hours long hangover that makes them hate everyone. There's a great progression from Mudd thinking he's selling worthless rocks to being all "holy poo poo these actually work" to suddenly realizing that they do work, but not in a way anyone would want.

Not in a way anyone would want? They're still like super-roofies without the whole 'the victim is all floppy and unconscious' downside, they're just not long-term roofies like the usual 'love potion'. A horrible person could still make big bucks on the black market selling them to other horrible people.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.
I just re-watched the TNG episode 'The Host" again. Did they really imply Beverley and Riker('s body) hooked up?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Beverly fucks all her patients, and Rikers body fucks all crew members, so it was unavoidable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Seems like every time Bones has to do anything related t Spock's health he says something along the lines of "I wish I knew anything about vulcan physiology to help him." You'd think there would be knowledge of Vulcans 200 years after meeting them. Especially since Bones has spent so much time around Spock. You'd think he would take some readings while Spock appears to be healthy to get a baseline.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Seems like every time Bones has to do anything related t Spock's health he says something along the lines of "I wish I knew anything about vulcan physiology to help him." You'd think there would be knowledge of Vulcans 200 years after meeting them. Especially since Bones has spent so much time around Spock. You'd think he would take some readings while Spock appears to be healthy to get a baseline.

He, much like Mr. Scott, likes to set expectations low so that he can surpass them. Also he does it to gently caress with Spock.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

Chalk it down to the show being unsure about what the Federation is.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

After The War posted:

They did this from time to time. Remember the tree ensign on DS9 that everyone was excited was budding?

Don't be hasty!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

After The War posted:

They did this from time to time. Remember the tree ensign on DS9 that everyone was excited was budding?

I still think they should've stuck a potted tree on a remote control car and driven it around in the background just slightly out of focus.

Bonus points if it's wearing a combadge and uniform-coloured ribbons.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Didn't the Futurama writers say part of the inspiration for Zoidberg was thinking about what being treated by McCoy must be like from Spock's point of view?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Not in a way anyone would want? They're still like super-roofies without the whole 'the victim is all floppy and unconscious' downside, they're just not long-term roofies like the usual 'love potion'. A horrible person could still make big bucks on the black market selling them to other horrible people.

Except that it only lasted a few minutes and afterward the victim remembered everything and hated them. People might still buy it, but they'd probably regret it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MikeJF posted:

I assume to put them on blu-ray they upscaled the originals; the simple style used by funimation should make it pretty easy to make it look naturally HD with the right algorithms. I wonder how it turned out.

(Hell, doubt they did it, but the right interpolation would probably even be able to up the jaggy-rear end animation framerate)

If they still have the original film reels around they could have cleaned them up and rescanned them, animation was usually photographed to film in those days.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Unfortunately, this was a no budget cartoon from forty years ago, I wouldn't count on them having the original anything.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cojawfee posted:

It's just McCoy being racist. The ship does have a expert in Vulcan physiology, Dr M'Benga, but he only shows up in like two episodes and the writers rarely remembered his existence.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

MrJacobs posted:

So Riker went from loving holograms to loving robots?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MikeJF posted:

Oh my god the TAS blu-ray comes with little posters for every episode

Want

Oh man, that is awesome. I assume you're aware of the Quantum Mechanix line?

http://qmxonline.com/products/star-trek-the-original-series-art-prints-set-16

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cojawfee posted:

They brought on Dr. M'Benga in the second season who if I remember right had a lot more expertise in Vulcan physiology.

Duckbag posted:

Unfortunately, this was a no budget cartoon from forty years ago, I wouldn't count on them having the original anything.

Ehhh, if I remember right, the DVDs looked too clean for them to be transfers off decades-old videotape. I bet they've got the negatives still.

Hell, remember, when TOS first aired it was considered a failure, and didn't pick up until after it was syndicated for a while. They still kept the negatives and other original materials for that show.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Hell, remember, when TOS first aired it was considered a failure, and didn't pick up until after it was syndicated for a while. They still kept the negatives and other original materials for that show.

Only 'cause Roddenberry walked off with all of it. If eBay had existed in the late 60s/early 70s, Star Trek would belong to some collector now.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McNally posted:

Only 'cause Roddenberry walked off with all of it. If eBay had existed in the late 60s/early 70s, Star Trek would belong to some collector now.

That doesn't make sense. We know he grabbed film clips and sold cels and clips (and other trinkets) through Lincoln Enterprises; if he had taken the whole episode negatives and been willing to sell them, how would the lack of eBay have prevented him from doing so?

I have a hard time believing Paramount would have accepted him walking off with everything. They still wanted to sell the series in syndication, even if they didn't have high hopes for it early on.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Bones and Spock in STB was a little weird - Bones says something like "If I remember right, Vulcans have their hearts where Humans have their livers, yes?" which struck me as really clunky writing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Apollodorus posted:

Bones and Spock in STB was a little weird - Bones says something like "If I remember right, Vulcans have their hearts where Humans have their livers, yes?" which struck me as really clunky writing.

I really like that TNG episode where some pre-warp alien doctors are trying to help an undercover Riker and their like "why the gently caress is his heart in his stomach?"

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

WickedHate posted:

I really like that TNG episode where some pre-warp alien doctors are trying to help an undercover Riker and their like "why the gently caress is his heart in his stomach?"

Yeah! That was good stuff. Also they talk about his "costal struts," a/k/a "ribs" but Human ribs are obviously different from Malcorian ribs.

Another example of how good writing can make up for a (by today's standards) lousy SFX budget.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Although it stretches plausibility that a human heart would be recognizable as whatever the alien analogue of a heart is, if one even exists. Like maybe the biological transport system of these aliens isn't fluid filled tubes but like, some kind of spongey diffusion mechanism.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Subyng posted:

Although it stretches plausibility that a human heart would be recognizable as whatever the alien analogue of a heart is, if one even exists. Like maybe the biological transport system of these aliens isn't fluid filled tubes but like, some kind of spongey diffusion mechanism.
Would that even work for a creature humanish enough to be played by an actor? I figured it was fair enough for them to assume that an alien oxygen-breathing semi-biped or better will probably have a heart, a breathing mechanism, and a digestive tract with accessory organs - but past that, well, that's where the fun happens

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
And by "fun" you mean "Riker fucks his way out of an alien holding cell," right?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

greatn posted:

Beverly fucks all her patients, and Rikers body fucks all crew members, so it was unavoidable.

Sci-fi doctors seem to have a bad habit of getting involved with their patients. I can't remember if that happened with McCoy, but Crusher certainly walked that line a ton, Bashir went full teenager for the mute girl, even the EMH fell into that trap somehow. On Babylon 5 Franklin unfreezes a lady from a century earlier, who just lost her husband, and is leaning in for a kiss like one act later. C'mon dude.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched TNG 4.17 Night Terrors, which is a pretty good episode and one I'll always remember for the X-Files style freakout of the dead bodies sitting up on Crusher.

At the very end, Data orders Picard to bed, and Picard walks down and enters the door just to the left of the viewscreen and it's a turbolift instead of the ready room. What the gently caress just happened?

EDIT:

looking at bridge layouts on the google, it appears that there is a turbolift door and the ready room right there. You can now mock me for being dumb. I really don't remember that turbolift. Is that where Worf went in that other mindfuck episode where the door opened from one bridge to an identical bridge?

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 9, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Phimosissy posted:

Just watched TNG 4.17 Night Terrors, which is a pretty good episode and one I'll always remember for the X-Files style freakout of the dead bodies sitting up on Crusher.

At the very end, Data orders Picard to bed, and Picard walks down and enters the door just to the left of the viewscreen and it's a turbolift instead of the ready room. What the gently caress just happened?

HE WAS STILL DREAMING!!!!!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Apollodorus posted:

HE WAS STILL DREAMING!!!!!

It is apparently I who am at a REM deficiency and losing my mind. I've just been through a hurricane goddamnit

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Actually it was prob just a continuity error.

But I am sorry you had to deal with the hurricane; here we just got a lot of rain.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Subyng posted:

"All humanoid aliens are related and descended from these precursors who seeded like a thousand worlds, so STOP BUGGING US ABOUT IT"-The Chase

Subyng
May 4, 2013
What constitutes as "alien" in Star trek is usually some really weak bullshit. You can give them a pass on the makeup; just assume that all aliens actually look way more hideous than depicted. But when it comes to describing things that don't need to be visually rendered, you don't have such limits. Wow, Vulcans have GREEN blood? Ferengi have FOUR lobes? Boring. How about, "wow, did you know Klingons have a decentralized nervous system? If you cut its head off they keep going and eventually grow a new one! Explains why they don't view violence in a negative light; it's actually really hard to fully kill a Klingon"

"Vulcan blood actually contains a potent neurotoxin. When Spock performs the neck pinch, microscopic needles on the finger tips actually inject this substance into the bloodstream, rendering the victim unconscious. Of course, this substance is not toxic to vulcans, but it does cause psychotropic effects when transferred among vulcans, giving rise to the phenomenon known as a mind meld. During this process these molecules are exchanged and travel into the brain and cause specific patterns of neurons to fire in each participant allowing them to experience each others thoughts

or some poo poo like that.

:spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I'm most annoyed by the multitudinous species that have human-like mouths but with one or more flesh bridges over them from their nose to their chin or whatever.

Did you know our species invented the drinking straw before the wheel? I cannot eat a sandwich.
-some stupid loving alien