Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Phyresis posted:

Venom Snake is a punk-rear end snot-nosed little kid, should be beat up by jocks imo smdh

I hate children. gently caress youngs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
You suck too, birdbrain

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

Phyresis posted:

Venom Snake is a punk-rear end snot-nosed little kid, should be beat up by jocks imo smdh

if you think about it, america is a punk-rear end nerd getting beaten up by jocks right now

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

LegionAreI posted:

So I know you all hate John Oliver, but he had a point about how people digest media and that bullshit internet stories stirred the pot for this election.

The question is, how do we fight that type of thing? How do we, hopefully as people who want to see the truth instead of bullshit, get real news out to people in a way that's as easy to digest as conspiracy theories on Facebook are? I always thought wikileaks might be a way to do this but gently caress them and everything they stand for at this point. It's going to be an important part of 2018 and 2020 - if Democrats/sane people can't find a way to get the message out it's going to be difficult to convince people.

I know going out and talking to people is the best way, but not everyone can attend rallies or meet people. Social media is unfortunately here to stay and the truth is always harder to swallow than echo chamber bullshit. So how do Democrats boost the signal on things that people might not want to hear as much as empty platitudes?

What does 'stirred the pot' mean here?

And a good start would be to (a) have a candidate (b) with a message (c) that tries to communicate it (d) to places they need to win.

In fact, that would be a good start, and middle, and probably end.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

resar posted:

if you think about it, america is a punk-rear end nerd getting beaten up by jocks right now

It's not even jocks. It's that rich kid who everybody hates but they'll keep going to his house because he keeps buying them beer.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

If any of you missed it last night:

Dean being interviewed on MSNBC talked about potentially working with Trump on infrastructure and 'public private partnerships'...

PPP's on infrastructure are dogwhistles for "getting around Federal laws such as Davis Bacon." My union hall was livid and all the folks who supported him as DNC chair immediately were like 'nope.'

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

Dean being interviewed on MSNBC talked about potentially working with Trump on infrastructure and 'public private partnerships'...

PPP's on infrastructure are dogwhistles for "getting around Federal laws such as Davis Bacon." My union hall was livid and all the folks who supported him as DNC chair immediately were like 'nope.'

The more Dean talks the worse he looks.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

When Dean was chair, Democrats won a lot of seats but the price ended up being high when half of them were out in 2010 because, given the choice between someone who isn't a Republican but votes for them and a real Republican, voters sent them packing.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

If any of you hear your elected reps talk about infrastructure and public private partnerships...please please please call them out on that. They have historically been used as an easy workaround for avoiding paying prevailing wage. Not only will this depress the wages in your region for all other construction workers, it functions as a polite way to prop up non-union contractors and developers who otherwise wouldn't be competitive.

The building trades unions are bracing for a nationwide repeal of Davis Bacon (or essentially endless PPP's which will negate its use). The American labor movement as a whole is bracing for the upcoming 5-4 Friedrich's v2 after Trump appoints his first Supreme Court pick. After that, expect them to go after a nationwide right to work law.

There has been a lot of rumblings about a potential general strike if that happens. The last American general strike was in 1946.

God help us if we do not.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

resar posted:

A wonky, Pol-sci nerd that's living in NYC in an apartment that was bought by his parents so he wouldn't have to live with any disgusting roommates.

His favorite meal is lobster risotto.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

tadashi posted:

It's not even jocks. It's that rich kid who everybody hates but they'll keep going to his house because he keeps buying them beer.

Greasers vs Socs

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

A wonky, Pol-sci nerd that's living in NYC in an apartment that was bought by his parents so he wouldn't have to live with any disgusting roommates.

His favorite meal is lobster risotto.

Mitt Romney?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

What does 'stirred the pot' mean here?

And a good start would be to (a) have a candidate (b) with a message (c) that tries to communicate it (d) to places they need to win.

In fact, that would be a good start, and middle, and probably end.

I'm not going to disagree with you, having a strong message and a strong candidate may well indeed mitigate the entire problem. The issue is that probably no matter who the democrats field, there will be outlets like Infowars and Breitbart that have been unfortunately legitimized by this election that are going to spew their bullshit all over social media, plus whatever bad actors are creating all the "Hillary eats babies" "the DNC is a Satanist front" poo poo that people actually believe.

This is an honest question, not a gotcha or anything like that - do you think a strong message and a strong candidate can completely offset the social media echo chamber effect that seems to be reaching the voters we need far better than "objective" media? Are the people who get their news exclusively from dodgy internet sources a lost cause, or can something be done to mediate that?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phyresis posted:

tbh Id rather get beaten up by jocks than whats currently happening in my life right now

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
We should probably be doing a lot of general striking in the next four years.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Venom Snake posted:

tbh Id rather get beaten up by jocks than whats currently happening in my life right now

tell your dad that a bitter stranger on the internet thinks he fuckin sucks

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Fiction posted:

:peanut:

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

"but, but, but can't have a congressman also your blocked."

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Fiction posted:

Does it count if I want to strike you repeatedly in the face? You specifically, bad forums poster "Fiction."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Fiction posted:

i really hope so. the loss of militancy in the labor movement is in large part to blame for our current circumstances.

Truthfully, the AFL-CIO is entirely too infested with former DNC/Clinton alumni. Purging them out of the movement and distancing ourselves from the DNC would do a lot to mitigate this.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

An interesting question that has come to mind a lot over the last week is, does it do more damage in the long term when a Republican wins, or when the wrong Democrat wins?

Think of all the Third-Way bullshit we're still trying to wade out of now after early-90s Bill Clinton smooth-talked it into the White House 25 loving years ago. What if he lost and we got four more years of Bush Sr before running another liberal champion who would hopefully have been less incompetent than Mike Dukakis? What would the landscape look like now? Would GHWB have driven everything into the ground from 92 to 96, or would we have come out of the 90s and '00s in a slightly better place without Clintonites and their cronies occupying all of our high-level positions? Or am I just talking out of my rear end and we'd have lost in '96 too and maybe even ended up in GWB hell a little earlier?

Similarly, Howie Dean was the darling of the student left in 2004, but is turning out to be a bullshit Third-Way con artist. If he had won, would the compromising of the Democratic Party be even worse than it is now? Or would we have just ended up with an Obama-type presidency (firebrand candidate, boring milquetoast moderate president) a little ahead of schedule?

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
What is currently happening?

I can't tell if it's a big dumb joke or a really incompetent troll.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Fiction posted:

Cool that will piss off my local radio people who were like 'wah protesters blocked my car :cry: '

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

loquacius posted:

An interesting question that has come to mind a lot over the last week is, does it do more damage in the long term when a Republican wins, or when the wrong Democrat wins?

Think of all the Third-Way bullshit we're still trying to wade out of now after early-90s Bill Clinton smooth-talked it into the White House 25 loving years ago. What if he lost and we got four more years of Bush Sr before running another liberal champion who would hopefully have been less incompetent than Mike Dukakis? What would the landscape look like now? Would GHWB have driven everything into the ground from 92 to 96, or would we have come out of the 90s and '00s in a slightly better place without Clintonites and their cronies occupying all of our high-level positions? Or am I just talking out of my rear end and we'd have lost in '96 too and maybe even ended up in GWB hell a little earlier?

Similarly, Howie Dean was the darling of the student left in 2004, but is turning out to be a bullshit Third-Way con artist. If he had won, would the compromising of the Democratic Party be even worse than it is now? Or would we have just ended up with an Obama-type presidency (firebrand candidate, boring milquetoast moderate president) a little ahead of schedule?

im guessing earlier obama. both talked big games but their actions speak louder then their words.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
i took a poo poo in a public bathroom and was not murdered today, just fyi

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phyresis posted:

tell your dad that a bitter stranger on the internet thinks he fuckin sucks

ill pass it along

loquacius posted:

Bush won and get got the Iraq war + destroyed economy. Trump is on track to appoint people who were seen was utterly insane and way to extreme by the Bushes.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

ill pass it along

Bush won and get got the Iraq war + destroyed economy. Trump is on track to appoint people who were seen was utterly insane and way to extreme by the Bushes.

Yes, but we might have an actual opposition now rather than the options of bad and worse.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

MrCussMustard posted:

Iowa DNC told me they would pass my message along, then after I told them what I wanted they said that I actually needed the national office, that the state party has no say in who chairs the party nationally. A waste of my time and theirs, but the # you want is 202-863-8000

I saw you mention Davenport earlier, so did you try Loebsack's office? I called earlier today and was able to get ahold of someone pretty quickly. His Iowa office phone is (563) 323-5988.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

If any of you hear your elected reps talk about infrastructure and public private partnerships...please please please call them out on that. They have historically been used as an easy workaround for avoiding paying prevailing wage. Not only will this depress the wages in your region for all other construction workers, it functions as a polite way to prop up non-union contractors and developers who otherwise wouldn't be competitive.

The building trades unions are bracing for a nationwide repeal of Davis Bacon (or essentially endless PPP's which will negate its use). The American labor movement as a whole is bracing for the upcoming 5-4 Friedrich's v2 after Trump appoints his first Supreme Court pick. After that, expect them to go after a nationwide right to work law.

There has been a lot of rumblings about a potential general strike if that happens. The last American general strike was in 1946.

God help us if we do not.

I didn't know that. Thank you for the post.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Have a bit of extreme irony.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/306045-carson-turned-down-offer-to-serve-in-trump-administration-report

Ben Carson is turning down a position in the Trump WH because he doesn't feel he has enough experience managing federal agencies. Re-read that and let that simmer a moment.

That's like, the most Ben-Carsony statement, ever.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

OAquinas posted:

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/306045-carson-turned-down-offer-to-serve-in-trump-administration-report

Ben Carson is turning down a position in the Trump WH because he doesn't feel he has enough experience managing federal agencies. Re-read that and let that simmer a moment.

The fact that the Carson presidential campaign only existed to help him sell books is the worst-kept secret in America

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

OAquinas posted:

good for him, he should take some time off, travel the world, see the grain silos

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

NumberLast posted:

Yes, but we might have an actual opposition now rather than the options of bad and worse.

You are correct. That doesn't mean we aren't in for four years of unending nightmare.

https://twitter.com/rtraister/status/798579750558044160

"Obviously we needed to go even more centrist"

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

LegionAreI posted:

I'm not going to disagree with you, having a strong message and a strong candidate may well indeed mitigate the entire problem. The issue is that probably no matter who the democrats field, there will be outlets like Infowars and Breitbart that have been unfortunately legitimized by this election that are going to spew their bullshit all over social media, plus whatever bad actors are creating all the "Hillary eats babies" "the DNC is a Satanist front" poo poo that people actually believe.

This is an honest question, not a gotcha or anything like that - do you think a strong message and a strong candidate can completely offset the social media echo chamber effect that seems to be reaching the voters we need far better than "objective" media? Are the people who get their news exclusively from dodgy internet sources a lost cause, or can something be done to mediate that?

If by offset you mean "win elections in spite of", then yes. If you mean "reach crazy people" then no.

Liberals have lived in fear of conservative media for decades. When Al Gore lost, people in part chalked it up to the power of right wing radio. When Kerry lost? Swiftboated.

Somehow the Kenyan Muslim with terrorist teachers and America hating pastor won in 2008 with like 10M votes though.

In 2016, Republicans fired full on against the evil they'd wanted to fight for almost 25 years: Hillary Clinton. They fought and fought and... got the same ~60M votes they've gotten in the past 2 elections.

Democrats run utter bores with no message and have for at least the past 8 years let the DNC fall apart. Yet still they get more votes in total than Republicans in the presidential election, and their losses in key states chalks more to people not showing up or being so uninspired that they go 3rd party than anything else.

Breitbart is like the 130th most popular site in the US. It's got a small captive audience of dummies. It's a meaningless sideshow.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
"Guys, I told you, I only did all this to sell books. Stop asking me to do actual work."

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

lamfo they scrubbed jamie harrison from the podesta group website

http://www.podesta.com/talent/jaime-harrison

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Zikan posted:

lamfo they scrubbed jamie harrison from the podesta group website

http://www.podesta.com/talent/jaime-harrison

I scroll through that site and imagine trying to listen to any one of these people about anything.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

If by offset you mean "win elections in spite of", then yes. If you mean "reach crazy people" then no.

Liberals have lived in fear of conservative media for decades. When Al Gore lost, people in part chalked it up to the power of right wing radio. When Kerry lost? Swiftboated.

Somehow the Kenyan Muslim with terrorist teachers and America hating pastor won in 2008 with like 10M votes though.

In 2016, Republicans fired full on against the evil they'd wanted to fight for almost 25 years: Hillary Clinton. They fought and fought and... got the same ~60M votes they've gotten in the past 2 elections.

Democrats run utter bores with no message and have for at least the past 8 years let the DNC fall apart. Yet still they get more votes in total than Republicans in the presidential election, and their losses in key states chalks more to people not showing up or being so uninspired that they go 3rd party than anything else.

Breitbart is like the 130th most popular site in the US. It's got a small captive audience of dummies. It's a meaningless sideshow.

Democrats lose by putting up candidates that suck and run against their opponent rather than for something.

This isn't to say that the power of the conservative media apparatus should be discounted. Talk radio, Breitbart, etc, all distort actual media and reporting. When Facebook can't properly filter out right-wing bullshit from actual news because conservatives start screaming that the big evil liberal media is trying to silence their right to vomit bullshit everywhere, there's a problem. The media isn't entirely blameless in this -- they're the ones who gave Trump all the free advertising he could have ever wanted because it was good ratings and money.

Yes, the hardcore right-wing lives in a reality-proof bubble where facts have no sway. The issue isn't in reaching them because they're not going to vote for Democrats. The issue is in preventing their bullshit from infecting the information that the rest of the country gets.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What did Jaime Harrison do, I avoided C-SPAM from July until November so I don't know this stuff

I scroll through that site and imagine trying to listen to any one of these people about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Venom Snake posted:

You are correct. That doesn't mean we aren't in for four years of unending nightmare.

https://twitter.com/rtraister/status/798579750558044160

"Obviously we needed to go even more centrist"

lol if anyone actually tries to push 'no no we need BIDEN and guys like him'. Like, that would just straight up be an admission that the only issue they had with Clinton was gender based then.

• Locked thread