Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

Also I started The Ringed City at sl 88 and finished it at 98. Now I'm reading that you should be about sl 120 just to start it. No wonder I kept dying so much.

but now you can sneer at the plebs who did it at 120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I wouldn't sneer at anyone who got through the ringed city - they've been in the poo poo same as me

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Charles Bukowski posted:

I installed the Cinders mod today and this is broke as hell and quite fun. So many new weapons and spells and stuff from other souls games!

Decided to check this out and dear god at new Gundyr. :stare:
The alva cosplayer class seems cool is it possible to dip into some miracles and pyromancy on a quality build?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
beat gael and midir yesterday

ds3 was a pretty funny experience for me

when i was first dropped off on the high wall of lothric i hated it. i was miserable and thought the game sucked. but somewhere around the road of sacrifices the game clicked for me and now i really like it. easily the best gameplay of the series. doesn't quite have the special something ds1 had, but ds3 was a total joy to play

i've been playing from games since demon's souls and there came a point where i was just wrecking bosses first try so i went online to see if anyone else thought they were kinda easy. i came upon a great comment that was just like "if you've been playing from games for the last 10 years you're probably just pretty good at them by now." that made me chuckle, and took me back down to ground level.

i think bloodborne just elevates the play of anyone who's gotten through it. learning to fight without locking on and staying hyper aggressive is almost always the solution to bosses. have no fear! also i felt like the game gave me an absolute shitload of estus and i could easily chug my way out of most problems.

great game though. can't wait to new game plus it to hell and back

also, i'm a huge grinder/over leveler, so that probably helped

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I said it a while back that I played through DeS and DS1&2 prior to launch of 3. I breezed through 3 mainly at the time with temporary roadblocks at NK and Gael once that came out.

Haven't played a lot of Souls since 2016. I did a run through of DeS prior to the servers going down, set out to do a full run through but I'm not sure if it was during 1 or 2 where I got hacked by that waste of oxygen malcolm reynolds and that soured me for some time.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Necrothatcher posted:

The Dreg Heap can go gently caress itself. I'm playing on PC, am way above the recommended specs and even with the graphics set to complete potato mode it runs at 5-7fps

No idea what's causing it, but I'm out.

im pretty sure this is an intro from 1996

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Necrothatcher posted:

Also I started The Ringed City at sl 88 and finished it at 98. Now I'm reading that you should be about sl 120 just to start it. No wonder I kept dying so much.
You definitely shouldn't be at sl 120 to start it, you'll never reach that level playing normally outside of NG+. Even once you reach the ringed city you have to grind like a motherfucker to actually reach 120

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

IronicDongz posted:

You definitely shouldn't be at sl 120 to start it, you'll never reach that level playing normally outside of NG+. Even once you reach the ringed city you have to grind like a motherfucker to actually reach 120

I can't find anything direct but there are a ton of secondary sources that say TRC was specifically designed to be started at 120 or so which feels right and is a dumb baffling decision. Maybe they assumed everyone was a meta pvper

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean, let me put it this way: at level 90 you have a complete build without significant downsides. You can hit the softcap on a damage stat and health, and still have points to spare for endurance and vitality. And that's without getting prisoner's chain, which essentially saves you 15 levels. A Warrior start with prisoner's chain can have 40 vigor, 40 endurance, 40 strength, and 31 vitality. Or you can dip on the vig/endurance/vit and hit 40/40 strength/dex-you'll have less tankiness and stamina, but that's the price you pay for the flexibility of a quality build.

90 is more than strong enough for TRC. What reason do you even have to go up to 120? Once you're up at those kinds of levels it's not even really a "build" anymore because you have enough levels to do whatever the gently caress you want with no sacrifices, it's always been stupid that people pvp at sl120 in this game.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

IronicDongz posted:

I mean, let me put it this way: at level 90 you have a complete build without significant downsides. You can hit the softcap on a damage stat and health, and still have points to spare for endurance and vitality. And that's without getting prisoner's chain, which essentially saves you 15 levels. A Warrior start with prisoner's chain can have 40 vigor, 40 endurance, 40 strength, and 31 vitality. Or you can dip on the vig/endurance/vit and hit 40/40 strength/dex-you'll have less tankiness and stamina, but that's the price you pay for the flexibility of a quality build.

90 is more than strong enough for TRC. What reason do you even have to go up to 120? Once you're up at those kinds of levels it's not even really a "build" anymore because you have enough levels to do whatever the gently caress you want with no sacrifices, it's always been stupid that people pvp at sl120 in this game.

oh my god lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
where's the lie? sl120 pvp is a holdover from ds1 days where you'd get deleted by backstabs if you weren't super tanky and the flat weapon infusions were crazy strong

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
games are for normal people who don't understand anything you wrote

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

i mean...i don't think you have to grind THAT hard. runs through archdragon peak, the grand archives, and to a lesser extent, lothric castle net hundreds of thousands of souls. i did those all a bunch because they're good fun; the combat is that enjoyable. in the earlier game i loved running irithyll because it was a good challenge that rewarded tons of souls. plus i've going for a dark/chaos weapon build which requires lots of stats (made the ring city a bitch though)

i think its fun to level up and become powerful enough to make a build that speaks to you. maybe its not necessary but it sure can make for a good time

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 23, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

feelix posted:

the point is past sl90 you're not getting as much benefit out of more stats because you've already gotten plenty. there's not a big difference between doing TRC at 90 and 120, and for "normal people" who probably don't want to grind mobs it's not going to be worth it. points towards your weapon's damage stat and HP is all you need, frankly-you don't need indepth knowledge of how the game works.

if you're struggling with TRC at sl90, the problem isn't the build, it's the player. the solution isn't grinding up to 120, it's getting a better feel for the enemies and bosses, and I think any guide or whatever that tells people they should go up that high for TRC is giving the wrong impression.

RaySmuckles posted:

i mean...i don't think you have to grind THAT hard.
when I ground up to sl120 on a couple builds it made me want to uninstall so clearly ymmv.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 23, 2020

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

Decided to check this out and dear god at new Gundyr. :stare:
The alva cosplayer class seems cool is it possible to dip into some miracles and pyromancy on a quality build?

I think you can pretty much do anything. Its a PvE mod so just keep starting ng+(++++etc) and leveling. :)

Woah there's bloodborne weapons. Guns!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Charles Bukowski posted:

I think you can pretty much do anything. Its a PvE mod so just keep starting ng+(++++etc) and leveling. :)

Woah there's bloodborne weapons. Guns!

I think I accidentally killed my vendor npcs somehow?
I beat corrupted gundyr and went exploring in the back. Found the company of champions and went up a ladder I found. Ladder led to the end of the consumed kings garden so out of curiosity I go and see if I can go fight the consumed king. Turns out I can so I give it a go and do ok. I still want to get back my souls though so I go back a notice that get around 4000 out of nowhere. Homeward bone out and I see items where my vendor's usually are. :mad: So I don't know what to do did I silently tripped something exploring?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
spear of the church is pretty fun

sorry PeePeeFace, we battled like 4 times. i hope you made it through eventually, lol

one ornament away from young grass dew, but i couldn't get any more PvPs or drops from ring knights. the ritual spear fragment is surprisingly useful

is there level capping for the summoning? do i have to be in the ringed city to be summoned?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I hit SL120 playing through the game normally, with the caveat that I played through much of it with a friend so we had a lot of extra souls from going through areas essentially twice. On my magic build I never really felt like I could actually do whatever I wanted with no downsides (since I was going for weapon buffing rather than INT-scaling infusions).

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

feelix posted:

*posts in the DS3 thread*
Vigor? Endurance? What are these words lol I don't understand anything.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

RaySmuckles posted:

spear of the church is pretty fun

sorry PeePeeFace, we battled like 4 times. i hope you made it through eventually, lol

one ornament away from young grass dew, but i couldn't get any more PvPs or drops from ring knights. the ritual spear fragment is surprisingly useful

is there level capping for the summoning? do i have to be in the ringed city to be summoned?

Matchmaking calculation for being the Spear works just the same as it does for the area invasion covenants, I believe. This means it stretches upwards higher and not as much downwards compared to red invading.

So for example at SL90 +10, your range as a Spear would be SL82 - 138, +8-10. Here's a tool to calculate it, if you're interested.

If you are wearing the Spear covenant item, you can be summoned as a Spear boss from anywhere in the game. NG+ cycles and your character not having access to the Ringed City anymore doesn't even matter, so you don't have to sit around in the area.

Although the game does pull in people who are invading or have their sign down in the Ringed City if it can't find someone to match wearing the covenant, basically as a last resort before spawning the NPC. Which is why very occasionally you get Spear bosses who seem very confused about what is happening.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Logan 5 posted:

Matchmaking calculation for being the Spear works just the same as it does for the area invasion covenants, I believe. This means it stretches upwards higher and not as much downwards compared to red invading.

So for example at SL90 +10, your range as a Spear would be SL82 - 138, +8-10. Here's a tool to calculate it, if you're interested.

If you are wearing the Spear covenant item, you can be summoned as a Spear boss from anywhere in the game. NG+ cycles and your character not having access to the Ringed City anymore doesn't even matter, so you don't have to sit around in the area.

Although the game does pull in people who are invading or have their sign down in the Ringed City if it can't find someone to match wearing the covenant, basically as a last resort before spawning the NPC. Which is why very occasionally you get Spear bosses who seem very confused about what is happening.

thanks

i've been pulled into a spear fight before i was in the covenant. i was pretty confused too, but i'd co-oped in the arena before so i at least knew what was happening

glad i don't have to be in the ringed city. i've been getting too many souls just killing everything while waiting for a summon. its like 400k+ each time, lol

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

I think I accidentally killed my vendor npcs somehow?
I beat corrupted gundyr and went exploring in the back. Found the company of champions and went up a ladder I found. Ladder led to the end of the consumed kings garden so out of curiosity I go and see if I can go fight the consumed king. Turns out I can so I give it a go and do ok. I still want to get back my souls though so I go back a notice that get around 4000 out of nowhere. Homeward bone out and I see items where my vendor's usually are. :mad: So I don't know what to do did I silently tripped something exploring?

I believe it was a bug in the 1.84 build. I've not encountered it myself yet but 1.85 hotfix was released last night that's supposed to reduce the chance of that happening. The creator is going through all the npc flags to see why and how to prevent that.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Charles Bukowski posted:

I believe it was a bug in the 1.84 build. I've not encountered it myself yet but 1.85 hotfix was released last night that's supposed to reduce the chance of that happening. The creator is going through all the npc flags to see why and how to prevent that.

So is that run just hosed?
Wait I watched a stream of this mod before and there was a New Game + giant tree, does that still exist and will it reset everything?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I tried to recreate the bug you encountered and it managed to get Irinia and Cornyx killed by farming creepy dragon invisible baby man. The Cinders discord says if we update to 1.85 they should respawn, so that's good. The giant tree is literally right outside NG spawn and you can use it to instantly go to the next NG+. Grab the latest commit from the Github here: https://github.com/vawser/Cinders-DS3/tree/af5509c1d9e4a382aec302d116d93aace96768ea

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 23, 2020

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Charles Bukowski posted:

I tried to recreate the bug you encountered and it managed to get Irinia and Cornyx killed by farming creepy dragon invisible baby man. The Cinders discord says if we update to 1.85 they should respawn, so that's good. The giant tree is literally right outside NG spawn and you can use it to instantly go to the next NG+.

Oh ok great! Yeah those were the two NPC's I lost and I was gonna make use of both of pyromancy and miracles so I was pissed that they died.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I beat TRC at level 15 don't @ me

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ever notice the Irithyll bridge cat demon thing is basically the same as the cat demon thing from attack of the clones?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

feelix posted:

Finally, someone who just wants to enjoy a game as a game instead of talking about all this fiddly stat crap . Going to check out his posts to see what Im sure are some fun stories that dont get bogged down in technical details

feelix posted:

Counting frames in Diablo isn't anything like counting frames in fighting games or Dark Souls, though. In Diablo you're never really concerned with discrete actions like individual attacks or casts, the only reason people talk about "frames" is because they create discrete breakpoints for speeds, which in turn creates discrete breakpoints for DPS.

feelix posted:

I think caestus parry might be a meme? It's strictly worse than the parrying shields when it comes to frames:

It does have perseverance so I guess maybe that's why PvPers use it

feelix posted:

Idk if the other posters are adequately conveying this: this is a video game with models and animations. The "back" of the enemy for the purposes of a backstab is defined by the direction the object is nominally declared to be facing in the engine, and depending on the enemy and the animation it's in, this direction may be significantly misaligned with the polygons that make up the back of the model.

Ah well tghats a shame. At least also he has a lot of posts talking about how ds2 is better than ds3, which is objectively correct

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Control Volume posted:

Finally, someone who just wants to enjoy a game as a game instead of talking about all this fiddly stat crap . Going to check out his posts to see what Im sure are some fun stories that dont get bogged down in technical details

Ah well tghats a shame. At least also he has a lot of posts talking about how ds2 is better than ds3, which is objectively correct

I wasn't talking about myself

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Anyways I started a new DS3 run to finally play through the dlc stuff. What cool weapons can I rush early, and what bosses do I need to kill to even get to the dlc stuff? And no straight swords, my first playthrough I just abused the dark sword and I dont think I could live with myself if I was that boring again

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

feelix posted:

I wasn't talking about myself

Then speak FOR yourself and shut the gently caress up lmao

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

feelix posted:

I think caestus parry might be a meme? It's strictly worse than the parrying shields when it comes to frames:

It does have perseverance so I guess maybe that's why PvPers use it
Perseverance, and the 1 frame difference is negligible. I played a magic build for meta pvp, and a caestus that regained magic was my go to. You could pull it out of nowhere and get parries people weren't expecting.

-edit I named my character Cloud Strife and actually got to pummel more than my fair share of people named after sephiroth.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 24, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Control Volume posted:

Anyways I started a new DS3 run to finally play through the dlc stuff. What cool weapons can I rush early, and what bosses do I need to kill to even get to the dlc stuff? And no straight swords, my first playthrough I just abused the dark sword and I dont think I could live with myself if I was that boring again

Iudex, Vordt and Crystal Sage will get you to the first DLC, but you will be way too weak to beat it at that time. Don’t go too far into it until you have got a character that you would feel comfortable going to the castle with. To get to the second DLC you need to either beat the main boss of the first DLC, or every other mandatory boss in the main game except Soul of Cinder. Up to you which is easier.

Not too many really good early game weapons in this one. If I don’t want to think about my build until later, I’ll get a bunch of strength, kill Vordt and Greatwood, get the Vordt hammer, and smash things with it until I can think of what I want to respec into.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

skasion posted:

Iudex, Vordt and Crystal Sage will get you to the first DLC, but you will be way too weak to beat it at that time. Don’t go too far into it until you have got a character that you would feel comfortable going to the castle with. To get to the second DLC you need to either beat the main boss of the first DLC, or every other mandatory boss in the main game except Soul of Cinder. Up to you which is easier.

Not too many really good early game weapons in this one. If I don’t want to think about my build until later, I’ll get a bunch of strength, kill Vordt and Greatwood, get the Vordt hammer, and smash things with it until I can think of what I want to respec into.

I wasnt planning on playing the DLC at an early level, I just wanted to know if there were any interesting weapons in the DLC that were worth doing a suicide run. If there arent, Ill probably just repeatedly bang my head into dancer to get a Lothric Castle weapon

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Control Volume posted:

lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Control Volume posted:

I wasnt planning on playing the DLC at an early level, I just wanted to know if there were any interesting weapons in the DLC that were worth doing a suicide run. If there arent, Ill probably just repeatedly bang my head into dancer to get a Lothric Castle weapon

There’s a couple of fun DLC weapons you can run to, but you’ll want to look up locations for them. Crow quills, crow talons, Millwood axe and follower saber can all be gotten without much fighting, though you will have to dodge some tricky enemies to get some of them. There are some cooler weapons too (onyx blade, twin scythes, Valorheart) but you gotta fight for them

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I think Ill farm up a lothric spear, push to the dlc and grab the follower javelin, and see which one is more fun between them. Its been a long time since I did a spear run in any souls game.

e: or maybe the greatlance....

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Or maybe the dragonslayer spear? That's a classic.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
follower javelin is very fun if slightly suboptimal, which also gives it hipster cred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Any tips for Midir? I'm SL 100 or so, 40 STR, 20 DEX, 30 FTH. Usually use the Black Knight Sword. I read the Millwood Greatbow works well on him, but even af +5 I'm only doing ~150 dmg per shot.