Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
That is correct sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

juche mane posted:

That is correct sir.

But a 302 should fit just fine, and a 351 shouldn't be too much trouble. :getin:

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
What are the chances of me walking in a dealership tomorrow and test-driving a 2015 GT? Are they being jerks about it or is it business as usual?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

shodanjr_gr posted:

What are the chances of me walking in a dealership tomorrow and test-driving a 2015 GT? Are they being jerks about it or is it business as usual?
Depends on the dealer.
I've had 1 2015 test drive, and was offered more if I had wanted. It was an EB and while I loved the ride, the engine didn't do it for me. I'll save that for when I'm ready to put down the deposit.

2016 GT (base, 3.55, no other options) seems to be the front runner, but a V6 with the same 3.55 only option set is a close second (or a loaded GT-PP premium). They end up being the same payment, but 3/4/5 years, and the trade in value for 2-3 years down the road towards a GT350 is hard to judge. I'd like a PP, but its 2 grand extra and everything mechanical costs more (EG. tires are $100 more each when it comes time to replace them).

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Depends on the dealer.
I've had 1 2015 test drive, and was offered more if I had wanted. It was an EB and while I loved the ride, the engine didn't do it for me. I'll save that for when I'm ready to put down the deposit.

I'll try the local ford but i'm not optimistic. When I was shopping for my 2012 V6 I got the "we don't have plates for the cars at the moment", probably cause I was 25 at the time...

quote:

2016 GT (base, 3.55, no other options) seems to be the front runner, but a V6 with the same 3.55 only option set is a close second (or a loaded GT-PP premium). They end up being the same payment, but 3/4/5 years, and the trade in value for 2-3 years down the road towards a GT350 is hard to judge. I'd like a PP, but its 2 grand extra and everything mechanical costs more (EG. tires are $100 more each when it comes time to replace them).

Yeah...I've enjoyed the PP on my V6 (the different end gears primarily) but i think i would have gotten 95% of the enjoyment without needing $800-$1000 for a set of tires (considering i don't track the car)

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

shodanjr_gr posted:

I'll try the local ford but i'm not optimistic. When I was shopping for my 2012 V6 I got the "we don't have plates for the cars at the moment", probably cause I was 25 at the time...

Yeah...I've enjoyed the PP on my V6 (the different end gears primarily) but i think i would have gotten 95% of the enjoyment without needing $800-$1000 for a set of tires (considering i don't track the car)

Do you find the transmission on your V6 insanely frustrating? I have the PP as well and it must be the drive by wire but it makes me feel foolish quite often, ESPECIALLY at lower speeds going around a parking lot (all assuming you drive stick). The way it bogs when I shift into second makes me mad. (full disclosure I suck at driving)

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Seik posted:

Do you find the transmission on your V6 insanely frustrating? I have the PP as well and it must be the drive by wire but it makes me feel foolish quite often, ESPECIALLY at lower speeds going around a parking lot (all assuming you drive stick). The way it bogs when I shift into second makes me mad. (full disclosure I suck at driving)

Can't say that I've had any issues...shifts are good, I only very rarely seem to have it not go into gear smoothly. What do you mean by "bogs"?

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 27, 2014

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

shodanjr_gr posted:

Can't say that I've had any issues...shifts are good, I only very rarely seem to have it not go into gear smoothly. What do you mean by "bogs"?

If you're braking for a corner shifting from 3rd to 2nd and you're not cool enough to heel-toe rev match, and then you let the clutch out, rather than the the engine revving up as it does in my lovely ranger, it seems to stay low but the car slows down a lot in an ugly "you hosed this up" feeling fashion. Not sure if that makes sense. I drive pretty aggressively so it's probably my punishment for not being smooth.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Seik posted:

If you're braking for a corner shifting from 3rd to 2nd and you're not cool enough to heel-toe rev match, and then you let the clutch out, rather than the the engine revving up as it does in my lovely ranger, it seems to stay low but the car slows down a lot in an ugly "you hosed this up" feeling fashion. Not sure if that makes sense. I drive pretty aggressively so it's probably my punishment for not being smooth.

You don't have an aftermarket flywheel or clutch, do you? If not, what year?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Seik posted:

Oh yeah, it definitely does that when downshifting without blipping the throttle...I always assumed this kind of engine braking was expected manual transmission behavior...my 2008 V6 behaved the same and so did the Miata NA that I learned to drive on I think...

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

mechaet posted:

You don't have an aftermarket flywheel or clutch, do you? If not, what year?

2014 V6 with 3.31 ratio. I have an aftermarket shifter bushing, but the behavior was the same prior to that. I've also tried a variety of tunes with no difference. I was really hoping I could do something to fix the transmission because it really hampers my enjoyment of driving the thing when I feel like a jackass with it bucking around at low speeds and jerking during downshifting.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

shodanjr_gr posted:

Oh yeah, it definitely does that when downshifting without blipping the throttle...I always assumed this kind of engine braking was expected manual transmission behavior...my 2008 V6 behaved the same and so did the Miata NA that I learned to drive on I think...

Interesting. My 98 ranger does it a bit of course but it'll rev to the moon no problem if you downshift without blipping. I'm imagining it's a dumb fuel economy thing??? Don't think I'll buy anything with DBW again.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Seik posted:

2014 V6 with 3.31 ratio. I have an aftermarket shifter bushing, but the behavior was the same prior to that. I've also tried a variety of tunes with no difference. I was really hoping I could do something to fix the transmission because it really hampers my enjoyment of driving the thing when I feel like a jackass with it bucking around at low speeds and jerking during downshifting.

I have a 2012 V6 with a 3.73 and it doesn't do that. Bama 87 tune. Are you trying to rev-match at all? If you just shift and drop it, yeah, it might do that.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

thetechnoloser posted:

I have a 2012 V6 with a 3.73 and it doesn't do that. Bama 87 tune. Are you trying to rev-match at all? If you just shift and drop it, yeah, it might do that.

Do you have an auto? The gearing is so short with the 3.31s, I can't imagine how bad it would be with 3.73s.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

thetechnoloser posted:

Sure for the most part I do, but sometimes it's not possible to do because I find it tricky as all hell to heel-toe in the thing if I'm braking hard. I don't just drop the clutch though, I do ease it out. It's just perplexing because my stick ranger has no such issues and is actually more fun to drive because of it, minus the terrible get up and go.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Seik posted:

You need to rev match, heel-toeing isn't an exact science and you should try giving it a blip of throttle as you downshift.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

Twerk from Home posted:

You need to rev match, heel-toeing isn't an exact science and you should try giving it a blip of throttle as you downshift.

I do when I'm not braking i.e coasting to a light. I've tried heel-toeing in the past but I always get too much brake and can't do it smoothly. Maybe I just have retard feet.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

oRenj9 posted:

Do you have an auto? The gearing is so short with the 3.31s, I can't imagine how bad it would be with 3.73s.

Nope, 6-speed. It's pretty dang short. Didn't know I'd be living in DC doing a 40mi-per-day roundtrip when I bought it. (Army)

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I don't know much about Mustangs besides the fact they look cool and are fun to drive, but I finally traded in my Mustang of 12 years for a shiny new one.

It has so many screens and dials and things I feel like I'm driving a spaceship. Still goes vroom and is fun though.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 28, 2014

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's sexy. Details, man!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Well I can tell its not a GT.
EB or the V6?

Black car, freshly cleaned, looks sexy.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tide posted:

That's sexy. Details, man!

It's the new V6 with the 18 inch rims.

I thought about getting the GT, but since my last mustang was 150 horsepower, and this one is 300, the V6 already blew my mind :aaaaa:.

The eco boost looked good on paper, but you have to use premium fuel, and it's a brand new engine. Thought I'd stick with a a tried and true 3.7L chunk of metal.

I really REALLY, notice the increased handling. The Dealer was laughing at me when I was about to reverse to get out of a tight parallel park. The thing really turns well, and easily. Honestly it's really great, I've had a smile on my face the whole time I've been driving it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

SerCypher posted:

It's the new V6 with the 18 inch rims.

I thought about getting the GT, but since my last mustang was 150 horsepower, and this one is 300, the V6 already blew my mind :aaaaa:.

The eco boost looked good on paper, but you have to use premium fuel, and it's a brand new engine. Thought I'd stick with a a tried and true 3.7L chunk of metal.

I really REALLY, notice the increased handling. The Dealer was laughing at me when I was about to reverse to get out of a tight parallel park. The thing really turns well, and easily. Honestly it's really great, I've had a smile on my face the whole time I've been driving it.
Very nice. Yeah the EB doesn't interest me, so V6 vs GT is the biggest choice. Big grin and key the rubber side down.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

How do you find the interior?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

El Scotch posted:

The best way I can describe it, is that it feels like a BWM/Audi/Mercedes from 4 or 5 years ago. The higher trim levels might be better, but there is nothing too crazy electronics wise. However I'm perfectly ok with that, there is something endearing about it. I use my cellphone on google maps from the cupholder, just like my old mustang. It does have a backup camera at least, which helps, since it can be pretty hard to see things behind the fastback.

The cloth seats are comfy, and there silver/leaver/carbonfibre accents look good. The back seats are way more comfortable than my older mustang, assuming you're not tall enough to hit the roof. The steering wheel is covered in a bit more crap than I would probably like, and I'm still figuring out what half the buttons do, but it feels good in your hands, and everything is easy to get to.

Again though, I had a 1996 mustang for the longest time, so some of these things are probably not new, but for me it's like I teleported 20 years forward.

On a side note, one thing I really like are the brakes. I always wondered if my old mustang was just defective, you really had to apply a lot of pressure to get the brakes to fully engage. However once I got used to it I loved it. I've gotten out of several accidents (One only a few weeks ago, where the two cars next to me skidded into a pileup on the freeway, but I was able to drive around it), because I can tell when the wheels will lock, and manage to stay just shy of that, and maneuver out of danger. Maybe it's a common thing, but the brakes on this new Mustang feel the same way, there is a lot of feedback, and I love it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Scotch posted:

open the door, and it should be right there. If it's not, you might have opened the trunk.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

open the door, and it should be right there. If it's not, you might have opened the trunk.

:ocelot:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
This is a dumb post.

I lost a very important piece of paper in my mustang. NO it's not in between the seats, its in between my dash and my a-pillar. Somehow this piece of paper was small enough to slide ride off my dash and into the small sliver gap between the dash and the pillar.

For reference, here's where it is.

Can I take off a sub-panel or something to get the paper out? Or, am I going to have to take it to a dealership to get the top of the dash taken off to get the paper?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

This is a dumb post.

I lost a very important piece of paper in my mustang. NO it's not in between the seats, its in between my dash and my a-pillar. Somehow this piece of paper was small enough to slide ride off my dash and into the small sliver gap between the dash and the pillar.

For reference, here's where it is.

Can I take off a sub-panel or something to get the paper out? Or, am I going to have to take it to a dealership to get the top of the dash taken off to get the paper?

If it's anything like my f 150, you might be able to see it from the footwell. Above the pedals.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Bought a '15 DIB Mustang GT w/ performance package and cloth recaro's yesterday.

It's pretty sweet, but this is my first manual car and its hilarious/embarrassing how many times I've stalled it when starting from a stop on an incline!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You have good taste, thats almost what I'm planning on getting.

Very nice Starkk.

Since you mentioned it, there is a little spring on the clutch pedal you can remove. Makes the pedal a little heavier, but far more linear.
e: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14627

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 1, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Beautiful car. Your first duty is to test out the line lock feature. For science.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

ilkhan posted:

You have good taste, thats almost what I'm planning on getting.

Very nice Starkk.

Since you mentioned it, there is a little spring on the clutch pedal you can remove. Makes the pedal a little heavier, but far more linear.
e: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14627

I'll have to look into that, I'm going to spend some time later today on a dead end road just practicing starting from a stop.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Tide posted:

Beautiful car. Your first duty is to test out the line lock feature. For science.

Yes, this will help with hill starts.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Tide posted:

I would just empty quote this usually, but you must heed Tide.

That car is slick -- nice purchase.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Starkk posted:

Bought a '15 DIB Mustang GT w/ performance package and cloth recaro's yesterday.

It's pretty sweet, but this is my first manual car and its hilarious/embarrassing how many times I've stalled it when starting from a stop on an incline!

It doesn't have the hill assist feature anymore?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Starkk posted:

Gorgeous car man. This looks like the same one on the front page of /r/mustangs.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

oRenj9 posted:

Gorgeous car man. This looks like the same one on the front page of /r/mustangs.

It is the same car :D check out the username.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Bumming Your Scene posted:

It doesn't have the hill assist feature anymore?

Oh it does, but I was that bad. After driving some more and finding the clutch engagement point/holding it there longer I've pretty much stopped stalling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Like most things in life, the answer is more throttle.