Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yeah and you essentially play the whole thing twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I wish you could get Octocamo in V that was the coolest poo poo ever

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 23, 2017

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

it gets more normal. It has a few weird anime parts but the majority of the game is really good.

I didn't mean it in a bad way, don't get me wrong. It was just so loving weird.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I played MGS 1 and Revengeance. I lost my poo poo when a giant, flaming whale took out a goddamn helicopter in the first ten minutes of the game. Then I played it for 120 more hours and it was really great and nothing like that at all!

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
V is probably the least anime batshit one tbh

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wolfenstein II Digital Deluxe on sale for $40...season pass is not. :suicide:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Your Battle Buddy posted:

V is probably the least anime batshit one tbh

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Woah this steam sale is no joke

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

v is the best game ever made

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i am getting the stellaris dlc

everything else is either garbage or i already have it

first world problems

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It's p. Good

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Vanquish is pretty good

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Im still playing Mario. Game has some bonkers content.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
My dude 1-2 and you go under ground blew my mind

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I hear that they’re releasing DLC that gives us a bunch of the goombas mustaches and also makes pipes yellow and purple

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Playing Witcher 3 again and still noticing new things. This is my second time doing the Heart of Stone DLC. I brainwashed some knights into counting to 100 while I snuck into their base, but this time I decided to wait around for them to count. They painfully count to 100, fully voice acted, then attack you. Once inside the voice acting for battles had been updated to quote the new mad max movie.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
venom snake going all feels good man with the ashes of his fallen abductees soldiers is in the running for most japanese thing ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VofQjhpkJpY

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I don’t know why I’m buying these games. All I’m playing is COD Infinite Warfare and MW2.

Is Shadow if War good for 30 bucks?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yes, it's very good if just for the nemesis system.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Third World Reggin posted:

Loot boxes!

The State of Hawaii announces action to address predatory practices at Electronic Arts and other companies. November, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akwfRuL4os

Hawaii owns.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
EA wants none of this. FIFA pulls in nearly a billions dollars in micro transactions sales a year. They’re probably more than happy to let BF 2 fall to protect FIFA. But nope. Legislation to prevent loot boxes targets all games. Good one, EA.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That's what they get for loving up andromeda

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Lmao owned.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
they dug too greedly and too deep

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Have I been living under a rock?

I've never heard about loot boxes in games, and all of the outrage I've witnessed was directed at microtransactions in Eve Online, or blatant cashing out in World of Tanks & Co.
About a decade ago, my former boss invited me to play Saga , which was an MMORTS type of deal without subscription fees, but with Magic-esque booster packs with randomly seeded trading cards that you used as units.

After about 20-30 bucks - which I argued was about fair for the game - and a month or so, the game felt too pushy for me, and that was it, I cashed out my most valuable units for about 20 bucks (because there were sanctioned online retailers and markets for those cards) and called it quits. The only other game where I had heard of stuff like randomly seeded bought content and sorta-kinda-gambling was CS:GO (which I don't understand to this day).

Suddenly, within what feels like ten days, I find out that loot boxes have not just accidentally kicked up too much dust for their own good, but have apparently been in a metric fuckton of AAA titles for half an eternity.

I mean...in FIFA?? What in the world?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've never heard about loot boxes in games, and all of the outrage I've witnessed was directed at microtransactions in Eve Online, or blatant cashing out in World of Tanks & Co.
About a decade ago, my former boss invited me to play Saga , which was an MMORTS type of deal without subscription fees, but with Magic-esque booster packs with randomly seeded trading cards that you used as units.

After about 20-30 bucks - which I argued was about fair for the game - and a month or so, the game felt too pushy for me, and that was it, I cashed out my most valuable units for about 20 bucks (because there were sanctioned online retailers and markets for those cards) and called it quits. The only other game where I had heard of stuff like randomly seeded bought content and sorta-kinda-gambling was CS:GO (which I don't understand to this day).

Suddenly, within what feels like ten days, I find out that loot boxes have not just accidentally kicked up too much dust for their own good, but have apparently been in a metric fuckton of AAA titles for half an eternity.

Sports games are notorious for it. In career mode your player/character starts out with like a 60 rating and you play to earn tokens (called VC in the NBA2k series). Those tokens are spend upgrading stats.

For like $50 you can go from a 60 rating to a mid-90s rating in ten minutes as opposed to several dozen hours.

Or in Ultimate Team modes where you get random players to stack your team with. Pay money and you have a better chance of getting someone like Barry Sanders or Randy Moss in his prime (but nothing is guaranteed, hence the idea that it is gambling. Then you play online against people.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Well, I'll be gawddamned...

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

a lot of it isn't so pronounced and easy to stomach because its cosmetics only. Dota 2 funds 25 million dollar prize pool for the international, and its entirely funded by cosmetic sales by valve. and only 20% of every dollar goes to the prizepool, the rest goes to valve.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
They've been in TF2 for almost a loving decade; that game's economy is built around the things. It's a contributing factor to TF2's current problems with maintaining new players. The cosmetics are bad enough, and ridiculous enough to the point of parody, but the unlockable weapons are also stuck in the box system and you can't even buy them in the shop anymore as I understand it. THat's a huge loving problem because some of those drastically change gameplay. And I don't mean in terms of "makes numbers different", I mean "turns the bomb-throwing Scotsman into a charging swordsman" or "replaces the Sniper's rifle with a bow and arrow with a completely different playstyle".

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I get a fun game is a fun game but I’m gonna just make a wild guess it’s more likely they cannot keep new players because it’s a 10 year old game

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
tf2 is still the 4th most popular game on steam, not too bad for a 10 year old game

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

oh yeah definitely, just don't think it's odd to see a game slowly lose players over the years

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I get a fun game is a fun game but I’m gonna just make a wild guess it’s more likely they cannot keep new players because it’s a 10 year old game

Especially now that they have to compete with Overwatch.

I don't think I've had as much in an online FPS as playing a pyro with a Degreaser/Flare Gun/Axtinguisher loadout. Reflect rockets/arrows/grenades back to their owners + double critting annoying scouts from a distance with the flare gun, and fantastic utility in defending engineer nests :swoon:

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Redeye Flight posted:

They've been in TF2 for almost a loving decade; that game's economy is built around the things. It's a contributing factor to TF2's current problems with maintaining new players. The cosmetics are bad enough, and ridiculous enough to the point of parody, but the unlockable weapons are also stuck in the box system and you can't even buy them in the shop anymore as I understand it. THat's a huge loving problem because some of those drastically change gameplay. And I don't mean in terms of "makes numbers different", I mean "turns the bomb-throwing Scotsman into a charging swordsman" or "replaces the Sniper's rifle with a bow and arrow with a completely different playstyle".

I haven't played TF2 for ~4-5 years or so, but last I remember the weapons that actually changed gameplay were all cheap as dirt on the secondary market after more than a few weeks of the patch being out, while it was funky cosmetic poo poo like christmas lights on your grenade launcher and such that were whale levels of rarity. Is that still true or did Valve kill reselling common box drops like they did in Dota 2?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

you should look up shadow of war, a largely single player game with loot boxes

a podcast I was checking into was talking about loot boxes being gambling and they did this all before star wars battlefront 2 and just loving lol

Here is the podcast with attorneys saying yah, its gambling

https://headgum.com/robot-congress/robot-congress-52-are-loot-boxes-gambling-ft-marc-whipple

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lINI9EDJ6Gg

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
I bought DiRT: Rally off the Steam sale since it's only $10, and man, the reviewer that calls it the Dark Souls of racing games isn't lying. When you turn off the assists and lock yourself into cockpit view it becomes a deeply punishing experience.

shhh, do you hear it? RIGHT 5 OVER CREST the sound of 300 DOUBLE CAUTION JUMP git gud HAIRPIN LEFT DON'T CUT

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iKon posted:

shhh, do you hear it? RIGHT 5 OVER CREST the sound of 300 DOUBLE CAUTION JUMP git gud HAIRPIN LEFT DON'T CUT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

iKon posted:

qft