Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Anyone bought a good cheap tablet off AE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't think you can get anything cheaper than a Kindle Fire and rooting it. Also seems less likely to explode if that's something you care about.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't think you can get anything cheaper than a Kindle Fire and rooting it. Also seems less likely to explode if that's something you care about.
Unfortunately, there hasn't been a known root exploit for Kindle Fires released after about late 2016.

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008
I've got a couple of cheaper Irulu tablets. Got them for about $50 each. They're slow as poo poo. Really constipated poo poo. Like maybe even fecal impaction slow. Finish is pretty rough. Overall kinda crappy really. OK for reading ebooks, but a kindle fire is the better buy if that's your primary use. Not awful for forum browsing though. Battery life is pretty mediocre.

I haven't looked into rooting them yet, so I can't comment against that.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The Kindle fire hd 8 is the cheapest decent tablet and the default os is not that bad. I don't even really see the home screen and just switch between apps using the multitasking button

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Blue Train posted:

The Kindle fire hd 8 is the cheapest decent tablet and the default os is not that bad. I don't even really see the home screen and just switch between apps using the multitasking button

My ex took my kindle fire on a trip and then broke up with me and sold it so I think its a piece of trash.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Owned

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

8 Ball posted:

Anyone bought a good cheap tablet off AE?

I looked into this, almost every review I found was a "no buy"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

WhiteHowler posted:

Unfortunately, there hasn't been a known root exploit for Kindle Fires released after about late 2016.
This legit blew my mind, thanks

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Duh Ugh posted:

Not awful for forum browsing though.

But what if I want to browse awful forums? :buddy:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

mike12345 posted:

What about the android tv boxes?

I'm guessing the correct answer is still just "buy the fire stick hd" for like :10bux: more

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

norp posted:

What about the android tv boxes?

I'm guessing the correct answer is still just "buy the fire stick hd" for like :10bux: more

Actually the fire stick I had was slow and trash, got a nexbox a95x and it's better. Gotta use magisk to pass safetynet checks for some apps tho, it depends what you're going to use it for and if you wanna bother doing the extra work

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

mike12345 posted:

Actually do you know if there's any reason behind this? There are decent smartphones available so why are all the tablets so crappy?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Are USB cables from Ali a bad idea? I know I can also do monoprice but I don't think monoprice has as many options for things like speeved cables or gold/silver plugs (I mean the part you grab, not the contacts). The biggest issue I am finding when searching Ali is I need a USB C cable, but it almost everyone needs I see has C on one end and A on the other, I want C on both ends. Similarly, I am tempted to get a USB-C cable with a magnetic "apple style" plug because I think leaving a magnetic adapter dongle in might cut down on wear on the phones port. I am just skeptical of the quality of an Ali magnetic link, has anyone tried one before?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Crotch Fruit posted:

Are USB cables from Ali a bad idea? I know I can also do monoprice but I don't think monoprice has as many options for things like speeved cables or gold/silver plugs (I mean the part you grab, not the contacts). The biggest issue I am finding when searching Ali is I need a USB C cable, but it almost everyone needs I see has C on one end and A on the other, I want C on both ends. Similarly, I am tempted to get a USB-C cable with a magnetic "apple style" plug because I think leaving a magnetic adapter dongle in might cut down on wear on the phones port. I am just skeptical of the quality of an Ali magnetic link, has anyone tried one before?

All I've ever heard is to never buy electronics from Ali, but someone else may have had a good experience.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I've bought the magnetic usb dongles there they are fine. The wall wart is what would pose the danger

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

I wouldn't buy USB-C cables from aliexpress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjeZB12985c

USB-A are probably fine.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Oh I missed that they are c yea the cables matter for that and I wouldn't buy them

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Crotch Fruit posted:

I'm not sure if there are still USB C cables not built to spec. I followed whatever Benson Lueng suggested on his Amazon reviews. When in doubt go with Anker. They had a snafu with one of their cables but they quickly fixed it, I believe.

Edit: From video above, maybe they didn't!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Usb cables for charging are ok but they are always much more delicate than advertised.
The magnetic ones may stop working according to other people on the thread so might not be worth the cost.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
I bought like 5 lightning cables off Ali and I think someone stole me out of my mailbox cuz they’ve been at “arrived at destination country” for like 2 months, which for me is usually the step they get to when they get to my house. Either that or they’re stuck in customs, both would suck!

Edit: em autocorrected to me, I’m keeping it

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've had flat-style usb magnetic cables stop working but the round ones keep on trucking.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I ordered those meat socks and they didn't have the desired effect of grossing out my kids. I also got that shaving bib thing to catch your hair when you shave and it's okay I guess but seems needlessly complicated. Not my best haul this time around.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I had a high quality magnetic USB attach itself to a metal rail and get really hot.

The part on my phone also attracted a ton of metal shavings that made me really nervous.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/lar...iceBeautifyAB=0

Julian Assange does sound like the name of a fashion designer.

e: Shoelian Assange

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 5, 2018

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

super sweet best pal posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/lar...iceBeautifyAB=0

Julian Assange does sound like the name of a fashion designer.

I decided to look up Julian Assange on AE and err, what? WHAT IS THIS?
http://s.aliexpress.com/jy2yQfIr

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Stathamhead is a classic

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SEX BURRITO posted:

I decided to look up Julian Assange on AE and err, what? WHAT IS THIS?
http://s.aliexpress.com/jy2yQfIr

This is not a real head

Well that's good, I suppose.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Found a store full of cute backpacks with every teen girl's fave celebs:

Robert Plant

Jimmy Fallon

Rob Lowe

Michael Hutchence

Joan Baez

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Carbon Thief posted:

Found a store full of cute backpacks with every teen girl's fave celebs:

Robert Plant

Jimmy Fallon

Rob Lowe

Michael Hutchence

Joan Baez

I need one with Slavoj Zizek

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Crotch Fruit posted:

I have bought several USB cables from aliexpress because my wife has a tendency to play phone games in bed, with the phone resting on the cable and she routinely breaks all of them. Therefore, I've resorted to buying several alieexpress cables in order to overcome cable attrition. She's banned from using mine, and those have all lasted quite well. I've found that the flat braided style cables have the least longevity.

I bought two of these and they're working fine.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top...2805371265.html

Simlarly this works quite nicely
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TOPK-LED-Magnetic-Cable-USB-C-Plug-For-USB-Type-C-Micro-USB-Cable-Magnet-Charger/32827540314.html

These too, are ok so far but I haven't been using it as long.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ugreen-Micro-USB-Cable-1m-2m-3m-Sync-Data-Charger-Cable-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-S4/32391749504.html

Actually, going through my orders I've found that all the worst cables are the ones I've bought through eBay, although that's not necessarily because of ebay, and those were cheaper per unit as well.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's a you get-what-you-pay-for deal, the stuff I bought for .62$ or 1.3$ stopped working after a few months. Probably thinner than cotton candy strands.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Squish posted:

I have bought several USB cables from aliexpress because my wife has a tendency to play phone games in bed, with the phone resting on the cable and she routinely breaks all of them. Therefore, I've resorted to buying several alieexpress cables in order to overcome cable attrition. She's banned from using mine, and those have all lasted quite well. I've found that the flat braided style cables have the least longevity.

I bought two of these and they're working fine.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top...2805371265.html

Simlarly this works quite nicely
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TOPK-LED-Magnetic-Cable-USB-C-Plug-For-USB-Type-C-Micro-USB-Cable-Magnet-Charger/32827540314.html

These too, are ok so far but I haven't been using it as long.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ugreen-Micro-USB-Cable-1m-2m-3m-Sync-Data-Charger-Cable-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-S4/32391749504.html

Actually, going through my orders I've found that all the worst cables are the ones I've bought through eBay, although that's not necessarily because of ebay, and those were cheaper per unit as well.

So if she's playing on the phone vertically, putting pressure down on the cable/bending it, why not buy an angled adapter or cable?

Like so
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2PC...iceBeautifyAB=0

or an adapter, though more bulky and unwieldy than a cable.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pc...iceBeautifyAB=0

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

RIP Grunge Icon The Clown

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wonder if they'll ever realize that adding fake keywords makes your product hell of less likely to sell? (Along with all products by all sellers on the platform.)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
They've actually cleaned a lot of that up. You used to be able to find the most amazing things on alibaba by searching for "Evangelion" (and then later "Naruto") but they've banned or filtered most of the obviously copyright infringing stuff from the site and with that the popularity of the keywords has gone down

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ookiimarukochan posted:

They've actually cleaned a lot of that up. You used to be able to find the most amazing things on alibaba by searching for "Evangelion" (and then later "Naruto") but they've banned or filtered most of the obviously copyright infringing stuff from the site and with that the popularity of the keywords has gone down

Nah I just searched for a couple of things last week-end and had to shift through a ½ dozen pages of crap to find what I was looking for. There are insane keywords on everything. (I wouldn't search for anything with evangelion or naruto anyway.)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

Nah I just searched for a couple of things last week-end and had to shift through a ½ dozen pages of crap to find what I was looking for. There are insane keywords on everything. (I wouldn't search for anything with evangelion or naruto anyway.)

Well what are your keywords if you are too good to search?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jerry Cotton posted:

(I wouldn't search for anything with evangelion or naruto anyway.)

Shameful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

KirbyKhan posted:

Well what are your keywords if you are too good to search?

evangelion and naruto