Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

MechaX posted:

the WXHB is something that I fully admit I need to learn at a certain point and it's probably 200% better than my current method, but sorry, I'm too used to having two hotbars and double clicking to get past the general action hot bar (and to this day, I still gently caress up every now and then, only single click, and press something on that hot bar instead of an attack for a GCD).

Same. But man that general action hot bar is useful though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

It's done.

Don't have to worry about this again until July.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?

FortMan posted:

It's done.

Did I make a mistake going armorer instead of leatherworker for desynthing?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

FortMan posted:

It's done.

Does desynth have anything to actually make it worthwhile to level up?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Maguoob posted:

Does desynth have anything to actually make it worthwhile to level up?

Desynth is the only source of Demimateria in the game. So it's good for that and the market is pretty stable in that regard since SE has kept throwing the basic grade 1-3 Battlecraft and Fieldcraft demimateria onto current recipes.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Desynth is the only source of Demimateria in the game. So it's good for that and the market is pretty stable in that regard since SE has kept throwing the basic grade 1-3 Battlecraft and Fieldcraft demimateria onto current recipes.

Yep. Also, some materials you get are not as cheap as they should be (HW stuffs, for example, I guess due to lack of supply) so there's some gil in that too.

It's mostly small but steady stream of income. Fish desynth is a exception.

DontMindMe posted:

Did I make a mistake going armorer instead of leatherworker for desynthing?

There are definitely fewer gears that you can desynth with armorer that leatherworker desynth. On the other hand, not a lot of people have armorer desynth leveled, so less competition there.

FortMan fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 31, 2019

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
About a week in, and I can already say that patch 4.56 is one of the best, if not the best, they've made. Yeah, the plot wasn't great (though I'm pleasantly surprised that my predictions of GRIMDARK FANTASY seem to have been wrong), and yeah, it's a bit of a downer that you can't turn 24-man coins into Scaevan Esters yet. All of this pales in comparison to the fact that no one ever has to run O10S again! Also me and Karasu found a new (Crystal-based!) static, and already went from late M+F prog to about halfway through Final Omega in ~5 hours of raid time. :toot: don't mention the echo buff

who let the duskwights in here

Also, it's that time of the year where I sort of half-assedly get my alt ready for the next expansion pack, so I might actually pop up on Excal every once in a while. If you see a smug grey cat running around, or need a SCH sub for Serious Gaming poo poo, say hi.

this post is just an excuse to post this high-intensity smug

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gruckles posted:

Activating the PC version on your account would give you 30 free days of subscription time, but would make your account no longer eligible for the infinite time level 35 trial, and you would still need to buy a license of the PS4 version.

Thanks, I'll just try the infinite time trial

I played a lot of FF11 back in the day despite it being terrible so I get that Controller will make things difficult, but honestly even with a gaming PC I sit at a computer for so much of the day at work that I just wanna lie down on a couch when I get home. I never got into this because I just don't have time for an MMO anymore but no unlimited trial takes some of that pressure to play off, and I've heard enough good stuff that I want to at least give it a chance

Level 35 means I can get to the "Real" jobs right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I played a lot of FF11 back in the day despite it being terrible so I get that Controller will make things difficult, but honestly even with a gaming PC I sit at a computer for so much of the day at work that I just wanna lie down on a couch when I get home. I never got into this because I just don't have time for an MMO anymore but no unlimited trial takes some of that pressure to play off, and I've heard enough good stuff that I want to at least give it a chance

Yes, job stones come in at 30 for the ARR jobs, but DRK/AST/MCH/RDM/SAM won't be available to you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Game is actually real good with a controller.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

so I get that Controller will make things difficult

Psh, nah, not at all.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Well then I'm convinced. Play it on my couch with no sub and no keyboard as if it's a single player final fantasy as long as I can

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, job stones come in at 30 for the ARR jobs, but DRK/AST/MCH/RDM/SAM won't be available to you.

But looks like Ninja will :getin:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Plenty of people, myself included, play the game on pc using controller so you will be fine.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Well, some folks aren't going to be happy. From /r/ffxiv's datamining channel...

Short version: There were some bits and pieces of Beastmaster code in 4.55, and some enterprising data miners tracked them down and got it into a semi-working state on a private/test server. There's a short video of someone running around with a pet diremite here. Predictably, it's a limited job, so get ready for Blue Mage all over again! :confuoot:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Sweet, I'm glad they're bringing more stuff like that to XIV. Not being sarcastic. I can see BST adding a fun little side activity sorta like the pet battles from WoW.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Bst is honestly a much better fit for a limited job than blu. The only people who were ever hyped for it specifically (as opposed to just any new job at all) were ffxi people, and most of its appeal in that game was either soloing or exploring. Plus real ffxiv content isn't really set up for a pet job where the majority of your damage comes from your pet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah honestly BST seems like a great fit for a limited job if there ever was one. I still think BLU could've been a tank or even a melee DPS (with a debuff focus like NIN maybe) without losing its flavor, and maybe BST could be a melee-range pet class or something, but I also think BST seems like as good a fit for a limited job as there ever could be.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I really wish they would add a 'drop what you are doing and heal me now' button on squadron missions. I swear, most of the stuff works out ok but that healer is the exact opposite of the honest healer and if I ever tank I usually die at least once to trash for no real reason besides the healer wants to nuke all the time. Also, the AI needs to be adjusted to understand when to AE (seedlings in AV was a real treat).

Other than that, it's surprising how many fights they completely trivialize due to their basic 'ignore all mechanics' nature.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Harrow posted:

Yeah honestly BST seems like a great fit for a limited job if there ever was one. I still think BLU could've been a tank or even a melee DPS (with a debuff focus like NIN maybe) without losing its flavor, and maybe BST could be a melee-range pet class or something, but I also think BST seems like as good a fit for a limited job as there ever could be.

This is a good point. Limited jobs were made for jobs that were too out there or unique to slot into the MMO format FFXIV follows. Such unique and special concepts as The Pet Class which we all know no one has ever solved.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I really wish they would add a 'drop what you are doing and heal me now' button on squadron missions. I swear, most of the stuff works out ok but that healer is the exact opposite of the honest healer and if I ever tank I usually die at least once to trash for no real reason besides the healer wants to nuke all the time. Also, the AI needs to be adjusted to understand when to AE (seedlings in AV was a real treat).

Other than that, it's surprising how many fights they completely trivialize due to their basic 'ignore all mechanics' nature.

I've found success getting my Squadron healer to heal me by mashing the engage key. When I ran The Vault I would always die to the pull with the caster at the end of the long hallway before the first boss unless I did that.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Short version: There were some bits and pieces of Beastmaster code in 4.55, and some enterprising data miners tracked them down and got it into a semi-working state on a private/test server. There's a short video of someone running around with a pet diremite here. Predictably, it's a limited job, so get ready for Blue Mage all over again! :confuoot:

Countblanc posted:

Bst is honestly a much better fit for a limited job than blu. The only people who were ever hyped for it specifically (as opposed to just any new job at all) were ffxi people, and most of its appeal in that game was either soloing or exploring. Plus real ffxiv content isn't really set up for a pet job where the majority of your damage comes from your pet.

Yeah, I'm okay with this. The biggest problem with BLU was it's need to party with others for its majority of level 50 spells despite being a "solo" job. I don't see BST suffering from those issues at first glance. I'll be cautiously optimistic. I still want them to work on limited jobs as a whole though- being locked out of squadron dungeons is really dumb.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

how do yall find people to do maps on a regular basis? goons dont want to for the most part and my PF attempts are always dead in the water. is there a linkshell or discord or something

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
people will say in lfg-na on discord "hey doing maps at 8pm" and then advertise in the FCs when it's time

we were doing them once or twice a week for a few months, but because 4.56 didn't update the drop tables there hasn't been as much enthusiasm to run them

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

johnny park posted:

how do yall find people to do maps on a regular basis? goons dont want to for the most part and my PF attempts are always dead in the water. is there a linkshell or discord or something

There's also a goon maps linkshell on excal. Barking in that usually turns up a few people.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Reported a bug in a beast quest (node not appearing despite showing on minimap) last week. Anyone know how long (if ever) you get any response to reports?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Leofish posted:

I've found success getting my Squadron healer to heal me by mashing the engage key. When I ran The Vault I would always die to the pull with the caster at the end of the long hallway before the first boss unless I did that.

I'll give that a try. I often do it anyway just to get the melee dps off their rear end. I've also read that the defensive tactics will make them more likely to heal.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

serious norman posted:

Reported a bug in a beast quest (node not appearing despite showing on minimap) last week. Anyone know how long (if ever) you get any response to reports?

Usually within a day or two. Whether or not they actually fix something is entirely different though. One of my alts has been stuck unable to finish the HW story since the aethercurrent changes made it impossible for me to get all the currents in Sea of Clouds, and I've been asking since the end of HW for help every few months since. GMs apparently can't do anything and I have to wait for a bugfix that will never come.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wait, what did they change about the aether currents and why can't you pick it up?

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Well, some folks aren't going to be happy. From /r/ffxiv's datamining channel...

I'm suspicious. Would this be simple to fake by model swapping the chocobo and renaming it?

Edit: the diremite even uses a psychical attack which instantly slows, which I believe is a chocobo skill.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

orcane posted:

Wait, what did they change about the aether currents and why can't you pick it up?

I haven't looked in a while, but it was something like I'd already done the new quest they attached a current to, and had the old one in my quest log at the time of the change.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Verranicus posted:

I haven't looked in a while, but it was something like I'd already done the new quest they attached a current to, and had the old one in my quest log at the time of the change.
If you didn't finish HW yet you can buy the story jump option, that unlocks aether currents too :v:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

orcane posted:

If you didn't finish HW yet you can buy the story jump option, that unlocks aether currents too :v:

Yeah, would rather the character be in limbo than do that. I'd delete him and remake if it wasn't on a locked server.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

TooManyUzukis posted:

I'm suspicious. Would this be simple to fake by model swapping the chocobo and renaming it?

Edit: the diremite even uses a psychical attack which instantly slows, which I believe is a chocobo skill.

It's April Fools Day in other parts of the world.

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

I was messing around in gpose and I made my black mage look like the most smug rear end in a top hat ever.
"You only hit 9k dps in your opener?"

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

DapperDuck posted:

It's April Fools Day in other parts of the world.

Time zones are for losers

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Gonna start leveling DRK again soon. What's the best way to use Dark Arts? There's a lot of applications for it and I'm not sure which ones are worth the MP cost.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Solitair posted:

Gonna start leveling DRK again soon. What's the best way to use Dark Arts? There's a lot of applications for it and I'm not sure which ones are worth the MP cost.

Every single application results in exactly the same potency except on Carve and Spit, so use it on Carve and Spit, and then just hammer the button as fast as you can otherwise. TBN is also, technically, higher potency if you get the shield to pop and then use it on a Bloodspiller.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Solitair posted:

Dark arts increases potency by the same amount for all the abilities that it works with, except Carve&Spit, so you always want to save it for that. Other than that, you'll just want to use it enough so that you don't get full on MP while also not running completely dry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Solitair posted:

Quietus for AoE, Carve and Spit / Bloodspiller for single target. A DA Power Slash is a crap ton of enmity when needed. Dark Passenger isn't the worst use for it when everything else is unavailable, but IIRC Quietus is preferred.