Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
As said, Dark Arts is basically a +140 potency ability. Exceptions are Quietus (+50) and Carve and Spit (+350). Power Slash also gets an emnity bonus with it, so I'll usually pull with one or two DA/Power Slash combos.

I'd never use it on a Dark Passenger, being that I'd also never use Dark Passenger, because for the MP per damage Abyssal Drain is better*.

Just make sure you don't double cast it between Hard Slashes or something, and make sure you keep enough MP to use TBN.

If you're in Grit, DA Bloodspiller is better than your other options for damage (+175) which is just enough to cancel out your Grit penalty. It doesn't do any more damage in or outside of Grit.

*DP has edge case uses, oGCD and bigger AOE. Unlikely to be worth it most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So now that my warrior is 50 and can tank trials and raids, can anyone tell me what the unwritten rules are for tanking them? Is it just an unspoken thing as to who fights the boss, or do you all just hit it a lot and see who can get more enmity?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

*DP has edge case uses, oGCD and bigger AOE. Unlikely to be worth it most of the time.

Not true. DADP is a gain on 2 or more targets. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Su9pIaeo7BXHj6Wmwr7bYmRmSsGSZKHRFPFVj7CDnXQ/edit#gid=267071110

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
50 Tanking is a nightmare hellscape of crap design because Paladin has an offensive stance and no offensive combo, and Warrior has an offensive combo and no offensive stance. The correct answer is do whatever you want because it all sucks.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Saint Freak posted:

The correct answer is do whatever you want because it all sucks.

This is true but I would not recommend fighting each other for enmity. Usually at the beginning of instances there will be a peacock-like display of tanks turning on their DPS stances until one of them yields. In general the priority for who you want to go to pull is WAR > DRK > PLD, but yeah at 50 it doesn't really matter.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So now that my warrior is 50 and can tank trials and raids, can anyone tell me what the unwritten rules are for tanking them? Is it just an unspoken thing as to who fights the boss, or do you all just hit it a lot and see who can get more enmity?

If there's really some question about it, talk about it in group chat, especially if you really intend in going in as definite main or off tank. Otherwise, I usually just wait to see what stance the other tank takes and take the other/pick one myself if they aren't stanced up maybe ten seconds after duty start or so. Either way, don't fight over enmity- if you're not the main tank, you shouldn't take aggro on main bosses unless the main tank dies or there's a tank swap mechanic (almost non-existent on normal raids and trials) and if for some reason you DO have to take aggro (read: the main tank probably died) you don't 'give it back' to the main tank once they're able- you become main tank until something similar happens to you. Some pub tanks who are 'I ALWAYS MUST BE MAIN' will sometimes fight with you over the latter and probably kill a lot of teammates in the process, but that's the general etiquette.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Pubbie tanks do no damage and squat in threat stance all the time, so you may as well let them MT unless there's a positioning gimmick you're confident they'll fail. Rev up that buzzsaw!

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Bleu posted:

Pubbie tanks do no damage and squat in threat stance all the time, so you may as well let them MT unless there's a positioning gimmick you're confident they'll fail. Rev up that buzzsaw!

Also bad PUG tanks have the habit of pressing taunt at completely random times so it's better to just let them have it so that they don't taunt cleaves into the DPS/gently caress up positionals/whatever

The only time I MT roulettes is if they just immediately slam down offense stance as everyone's loading

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Pub tanks press taunt randomly because they don't know how taunt works. People pull with it!

For the information of anyone reading this thread who is a new tank or considering tanking: Provoke, and its AOE cousin Ultimatum, shift the enmity table so that you become the highest enmity +1 on the target or targets. Provoke doesn't guarantee a set amount of time where the target stays focused on you, nor does it give you any bonus enmity, beyond the +1 needed to move you to the top of the list. This means a DPS going whole hog will steal threat back if you don't immediately work to establish a new threat lead, either through enmity combos or other high-threat moves. If you're already at the top of the list, taunt does nothing.

Ideally, Provoke is actually rarely pressed. It's only needed on bosses in trials if there is a tank swap mechanic, where the OT taunts to gain the threat lead over the MT because the MT won't survive another hit or something. In dungeons, it's mostly for grabbing a stray mob that escapes as you grind down the pack.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 31, 2019

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Is now a good time to get back into the game again? The last time I played was back when Heavensward was released so I probably have a lot of ground to cover. Is DRK any good? I used to play WAR but I figure it would be good to start a new class to re-familiarize myself with things.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Get Innocuous! posted:

Is now a good time to get back into the game again? The last time I played was back when Heavensward was released so I probably have a lot of ground to cover. Is DRK any good? I used to play WAR but I figure it would be good to start a new class to re-familiarize myself with things.

It's a reasonably good time to start playing again. On the upside, you'd probably be caught up just in time for the next expansion. On the downside, buying Shadowbringers will give you HW and Stormblood, but they don't unlock until Shadowbringer's release so if you get to stormblood before then, you end up buying both it and Shadowbringers instead of just Shadowbringers. Or waiting for the expansion to drop while stuck at 60.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Get Innocuous! posted:

All jobs are getting reworked and if you wait until July you'll get a free expansion, so no, unless you want to just bum around and level other jobs to 60 while you wait for Shadowtown to give you Stormblood for free. DRK is specifically on the chopping block.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BST as a limited job is a really bad april fools joke, cause yeah no poo poo its going to be one. At least make up something surprising like limited Necromancer or limited Time Mage or something

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Leofish posted:

Pub tanks press taunt randomly because they don't know how taunt works. People pull with it!

Pulling with Provoke is actually cool because it has longer range than shield/axe/blob throw and I can't be bothered to go all the way over there sometimes.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Rainuwastaken posted:

Pulling with Provoke is actually cool because it has longer range than shield/axe/blob throw and I can't be bothered to go all the way over there sometimes.

its good in super edge cases like the spiny plume in UwU but usually 1 point of enmity isnt worth using provoke over

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Provoke-Pull is nice in BA because you can grab one guy without risking aggroing another few.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bleu posted:

My thing about tanking always was I can't exactly trust the random stranger healer to keep me going if I turn off Grit, so it was always a bit of a scare

That and the implicit expectation that The Tank Knows What They're Doing, but that's probably just anxiety talking

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 31, 2019

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

My thing about tanking always was I can't exactly trust the random stranger healer to keep me going if I turn off Grit, so it was always a bit of a scare

The swole tank keeps enmity in dps stance and uses defensive cooldowns to take reduced damage anyway.

DRK can DA abyssal drain and keep themselves healthy without the healer.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Rainuwastaken posted:

I figure I'm going over there anyway, so might as well lob and get all up in. Maybe if I need to corner pull a caster from far away it could be a thing.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Ciaphas posted:

That and the implicit expectation that The Tank Knows What They're Doing, but that's probably just anxiety talking

You do you, tank mans. Whatever it takes to drag people across the finish line. gently caress people that scream at you for not maximizing your DPS in normal content.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah honestly the only time I get mad at tanks is if they can't manage to keep aggro or keep the mobs corralled.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
tanks............ thank you.. bless you. you are the only sunshine in this poo poo world...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Eh maybe I'll pick up leveling DRK again once I finish MSQ

if nothing else it'll be a way to practice controller-ing as a melee class

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Givin posted:

You do you, tank mans. Whatever it takes to drag people across the finish line. gently caress people that scream at you for not maximizing your DPS in normal content.

Yeah, I sit in tank stance the entire dungeon run because I honestly don't really care about maxing my DPS in dungeons and normal trials.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Do crafting dyes, PVP gear and master recipe items check them off like regular items on the list?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

homeless snail posted:

BST as a limited job is a really bad april fools joke, cause yeah no poo poo its going to be one. At least make up something surprising like limited Necromancer or limited Time Mage or something

Limited Time Mage that actually alters the player's perception of time, making it only usable in solo instances.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Verranicus posted:

Do crafting dyes, PVP gear and master recipe items check them off like regular items on the list?

Dyes don't, same with prisms. Not sure about PVP or master recipe's, but they don't count towards the unique recipe achievements. Those are only the regular items and the housing items.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah honestly the only time I get mad at tanks is if they can't manage to keep aggro or keep the mobs corralled.

I get slightly annoyed when the tanks feel compelled to awkwardly shuffle around and stare at their feet for a minute hoping someone else will actually tank, or if they start doing ready checks on reaching a vaguely intimidating pebble. If it's trash, for god's sake just pull. Once the group has reached a boss either A: pull it immediately or B: put up a <15s timer, then pull it. If it's Ozma, Cid or some other boss where initial position matters then wait for 90% of the slowpokes to get in place first but don't stand around hoping the boss dies of old age after just because it worked once.

I try not to get too annoyed when this happens because it's not like I felt like queuing as tank either.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Countblanc posted:

tanks............ thank you.. bless you. you are the only sunshine in this poo poo world...

you're welcome :)

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Xerophyte posted:

I get slightly annoyed when the tanks feel compelled to awkwardly shuffle around and stare at their feet for a minute hoping someone else will actually tank, or if they start doing ready checks on reaching a vaguely intimidating pebble. If it's trash, for god's sake just pull. Once the group has reached a boss either A: pull it immediately or B: put up a <15s timer, then pull it. If it's Ozma, Cid or some other boss where initial position matters then wait for 90% of the slowpokes to get in place first but don't stand around hoping the boss dies of old age after just because it worked once.

I try not to get too annoyed when this happens because it's not like I felt like queuing as tank either.

In dungeons, as soon as the healer crosses the boss room threshold, I pull and start the fight. DPS are nice to have, but irrelevant in most fights. In trials/raids, I've got a 10s countdown that I use once the other tank and I work out who's MT/OT and in 24 mans I just wait for the bulk of the group to cross the threshold before pulling (assuming I'm the alliance B tank)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So hyperbole aside, how much attention are Scholars actually paying to the tank during the dungeon, like the trash and similar

To me the whole "let Eos do it" has always smacked of memery and I've always been a touch panicky. But that was a year ago in a non end of cycle context

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ciaphas posted:

So hyperbole aside, how much attention are Scholars actually paying to the tank during the dungeon, like the trash and similar

To me the whole "let Eos do it" has always smacked of memery and I've always been a touch panicky. But that was a year ago in a non end of cycle context

The thing is, if the tank knows how to use mitigation and cooldowns properly, Eos can do it outside of harder fights. As long as you remember to not let Eos move for any reason.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
People actually bother placing Eos for every fight? :catstare:

Put her on Obey, manage her three cooldowns because they're really strong, and hit Rouse every once in a while, and you're doing better than the vast majority of Duty Finder Scholars.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

i appreciate tanks that give me at l;east a 10 second countdown as MNK so i can be in the right stance

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

Sub 35-40 content you really can just leave everything to eos. At 70 your fairy + your OGCDs are enough to keep up with anything the dungeons can hit your tank with. Unless your DPS aren't doing anything in which case you might run out of aetherflow and have to hard cast something.

If the tank does single pulls your fairy can handle everything with no input from you whatsoever.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So, first thing you do when you get into trials and raids, is you stand absolutely still. Just hands off your keyboard and mouse or controller. You don't type anything except to your FC or linkshells, you are completely incommunicado to your group or alliance.

Second thing you do, is you watch the other tanks like a hawk. You're not gonna tank, who the gently caress wants to tank on a tank? This is a game of chicken. You're waiting to see who cracks first and goes into tank stance.

If someone does, great, that means you can go DPS stance and faff around like you're supposed to.

If no-one doesn't, and this rarely if never happens, because someone always will, make some excuse about your cat being on fire, and drop group. You've got tank queue, you don't have to wait around for anyone else to make decisions for you.

no, I'm not loving bitter at all. Nut the gently caress up and pull, you goddamn pussy-rear end tanks! don't make me loving come over there and do your job for you, I'm here to get gear for my MCH and AST!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Generally I saw I'm new and ask for tips if I'm with a group I could understand (or you can read up on the actual fight mechanics). Usually I just go at it. 90% of the time it turns out fine (the remaining 10% is poo poo like wiping to Shinryu's platform-off mechanic)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Depends on the level of content and how much you and the tank under/overgear it. Up until you get to Stone Vigil, you can generally sleepwalk your way through encounters. At SV and beyond, you need to keep a higher level of attention on them. How much you need to watch them is something that you simply develop a feeling for over time, since you'll gradually run each dungeon enough with enough variations in gear level/player skill to understand how much average damage someone's likely to take in X period. I usually do quick spot checks over to the party bar every few seconds in higher level dungeons, but I also have it closer to the center of my screen to make it easier to watch overall.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

This is true but I would not recommend fighting each other for enmity. Usually at the beginning of instances there will be a peacock-like display of tanks turning on their DPS stances until one of them yields. In general the priority for who you want to go to pull is WAR > DRK > PLD, but yeah at 50 it doesn't really matter.

At 50 it actually does matter to a degree. Mostly in that Paladin generally becomes #1 in priority for tanking because they HAVE to use their enmity combo to do good damage. Because of this if a Paladin is playing properly(hitting buttons as soon as possible) it becomes relatively likely they'll rip agro. This might just mostly be due to bad pub tanks not maintaining well enough but just playing in DPS stance as Paladin still rips threat onto me. Once everyone has their actual kit though yeah Paladin has a lot of benefit to being off tank with Cover and Intervention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

New NIN glamour: