Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

After SR4, I can't muster up any excitement for this at all.
Looks like more of the same except now there's probably no character customization and it'll be in an extremely linear world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Dr Suntory posted:

The concept has been around for a while. See: Half-Life expansions; HoMM3 expansions

Just because people have been wrong for a long time doesn't mean they're still not wrong :science:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Also the new Saints Row sounds horrible. It's Saints Row, except we're taking the designed-for-a-sandbox-game gameplay and forcing it into linear levels, with no open world and no player customization. Awesome! Good to know Volition had no idea what made SR2 fun.

I'm not sure what info you're reading but its not the same stuff everyone is reading.

Edit:

Deakul posted:

After SR4, I can't muster up any excitement for this at all.
Looks like more of the same except now there's probably no character customization and it'll be in an extremely linear world.

Where are you seeing the linearity? Its Steelport but red and with statues. It looks exactly like the gameplay in SR4 (Gat has wings instead of super-jump, for example). I'm not going to argue if you say the gameplay being the same is part of a problem though, but its a different problem.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 29, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ddraig posted:

An expansion has always meant "Addon". A standalone expansion is an oxymoron. It's an expansion of what? Is Heretic an expansion of Doom because it's made on the same engine? What about the Unreal Engine? Boy howdy, Unreal Tournament has had a gently caress of a load of expansions: Bulletstorm is my favorite, although The Last Remnant is pretty great aswell. Too bad they didn't put the redeemer in it :(

Standalone expansions tend to use the same engine, the same gameplay mechanics, and many of the same assets as the original game. They're also a continuation of the storyline but not to a degree that warrants a full sequel.

I don't see why you'd get so worked up over a term that works great at telling everyone "It'll play pretty much just like the last game and you don't have to have the base game to play it but don't expect a massive amount of content."

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 29, 2014

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

Good to know Volition had no idea what made SR2 fun.

Most of us figured that out when SR3 was released.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

I'm not sure what info you're reading but its not the same stuff everyone is reading.

Gameplay in a sandbox game is often less up-to-par than those in a linear game because they have to focus on rendering an open world and making sure the gameplay will work in every area of it.

You cannot customize your characters beyond clothing because they are already-established characters and not blank slates like the Boss.

I can read fine, thanks.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Ddraig posted:

Just because people have been wrong for a long time doesn't mean they're still not wrong :science:

The idea used to be that it expands (or adds on to) the story without the need for a installed base game or needing to dig out the CDs.
Playing semantics works this way too ;)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Ddraig posted:

True, for example: you, right now.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Saints Row 2 was a loving blast and even with the Open World format I literally never had a boring moment because they just nailed everything so drat perfectly.

I remember after playing GTA4 thinking "This is terribad" and Saints Row 2 being the spiritual sequel to San Andreas. Saints Row 3 was meh, SR4 was pretty bad all things considered.

Open World games don't have to be dumbed down or lacking in any meaningful content, as Saints Row 2 adequately proved. Pity they didn't really get why it was so great to begin with.

Dr Suntory posted:

The idea used to be that it expands (or adds on to) the story without the need for a installed base game or needing to dig out the CDs.
Playing semantics works this way too ;)

I do not strictly adhere to prescriptive definitions of words, but it has been well established for decades that "expansion" in the game sense is an addon. Fallout New Vegas is not an expansion of Fallout 3, despite it using the same engine, and being set in the same world, and using a large part of Fallout 3's assets. It's an entirely separate entity.

With the exception of engine emulators and such, if it has a separate executable, it's a separate game. Thems the rules, sorry.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 29, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pirate Jet posted:

Good to know Volition had no idea what made SR2 fun.

Endless tinkering to make a poo poo game try not to run badly?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kibayasu posted:

Edit:

Where are you seeing the linearity? Its Steelport but red and with statues. It looks exactly like the gameplay in SR4 (Gat has wings instead of super-jump, for example). I'm not going to argue if you say the gameplay being the same is part of a problem though, but its a different problem.

They said it's 50% the size of Steelport and if it actually is Steelport AGAIN then gently caress that noise entirely.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Gameplay in a sandbox game is often less up-to-par than those in a linear game because they have to focus on rendering an open world and making sure the gameplay will work in every area of it.

You cannot customize your characters beyond clothing because they are already-established characters and not blank slates like the Boss.

I can read fine, thanks.

So it sounds like you prefer linear gameplay because that sounds like a pro and not a con so I'm confused as to what the problem is. Again, its still Steelport. It's exactly the same open world gameplay SR3 and 4 have. I can understand if that itself is a problem but this doesn't appear to be making any departure from SR4 outside of Boss not being the main character (which isn't part of the gameplay, but aesthetics).

Deakul posted:

They said it's 50% the size of Steelport.

Steelport is pretty big. It's pretty hyperbolic to go from "It's half the size of our previous map" to "The map is going to be a bunch of lovely linear hallways."

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

ShredsYouSay posted:

Anyone want a free copy of Saints Row IV? If so, IM me.

I don't have PMs, but if nobody has jumped on the offer so far, I'd gladly take Saints off your hands: http://steamcommunity.com/id/obeytheriff/

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Pirate Jet posted:

You say this, but I've played SR3 and the driving/flying and shooting were top notch. SR4 is a bit looser, but that's due to the crazy awesome Superman mechanics and turbo speed mode.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Everything about SR3 and 4 except the customization was better than 2.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Why Saints Row 2 is superior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU2RBvsWx8A

e: Serious post, I think with Open World games in particular too much polish can be a rather bad thing. Part of the fun of open world games is that unexpected poo poo can happen, and often times the funniest stuff is stuff that isn't planned or is an actual bonafide bug. This is why I think GTA4 was pretty terrible, since they polished it to such a high sheen that truly emergent stuff just doesn't happen, as everything is so drat controlled. I think Saints Row 3/4 suffered from this to a certain extent, aswell.

One of the funniest bugs I had in Saints Row 2 was a weird spawning thing where literally every single pedestrian was a single type so it looked like a huge army of clones. There was an all out war where everyone was attacking me and each other and it was hilarious. I can't really think of a single memorable moment in Saints Row 3 that wasn't something that the developers intended.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 29, 2014

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Everything about SR3 and 4 except the customization was better than 2.

Except the customization WAS the gameplay in 2. When people say "customization" they don't just mean "clothes for your character," they also mean weapon selection, customizing your gang and your owned properties, the amount of vehicles and what you could do with them, etc. Also the writing and jokes were worse, the characters were worse, the city was garbage...

Kibayasu posted:

So it sounds like you prefer linear gameplay because that sounds like a pro and not a con so I'm confused as to what the problem is. Again, its still Steelport. It's exactly the same open world gameplay SR3 and 4 have.

I don't "prefer" linear games, it's just that open world games have gameplay that's less focused because they have to make sure it works in every area of an open world. Usually at best you'll get a rudimentary cover system but we're not gonna see like, an open-world Metal Gear Rising game any time soon. Saints Row's gameplay would not work in a linear area.

Anyways it's sounding like they're making hell a new city so it doesn't even matter anyways, but yanking away even more customization when that's what made the games fun in the first place is massively disappointing.

computer parts posted:

Endless tinkering to make a poo poo game try not to run badly?

Did you know SR2 came out on more platforms than just the PC?

A game can still be great despite being a bad port. This is something that Dark Souls fans and people who joined Saints Row with 3 do not seem to understand.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 29, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Unfortunately, even with Gentlemen of the Row, SR2 was still very crash-prone. It spoiled a lot of good times, but the same can be said of SR4's final mission in co-op.

Maphis
Apr 22, 2012
Any discussion for Super Time Force Ultra? I picked it up on Wednesday and have somehow already managed to sink 10 hours into the thing, obsessively trying to save everyone and get through levels as quickly as possible.
Would be interesting to see what tactics other people have been using, I've found Cleo to be invaluable when speeding through certain levels thanks to her boomerang shield.
It's a shame that of the Steam exclusive characters both Zoey and Saxton are kinda horrible as I've yet to find any situation where they're useful. The Pyro on the other hand is brilliant.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Saints Row 2 also brought us this so it is automatically superior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivd7J28Cu38

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Contagion is fun but holy gently caress does there need to be an RTV function

E: wow there are a lot of anime mods for this game

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Every Saints Row sequel is better than the previous installment. Any Saints Row game is better than any GTA game. GAT out of hell is gonna own.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Every Saints Row sequel is better than the previous installment. Any Saints Row game is better than any GTA game. GAT out of hell is gonna own.

And bully is better than all of those.

And sleepy dogs is better than bully.

Case closed

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So Metro 2033 Redux has the Last Light problem of shotguns being total trash and you're hosed if you have to fight the nosalis with one. What a pain.

quote:

Except the customization WAS the gameplay in 2. When people say "customization" they don't just mean "clothes for your character," they also mean weapon selection, customizing your gang and your owned properties, the amount of vehicles and what you could do with them, etc. Also the writing and jokes were worse, the characters were worse, the city was garbage...

The gunplay, driving, and other game mechanics were better, I thought the city was fine, it wasn't any less funny, etc. I played 2 after 3 though.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I mean, it's also very possible that Volition found that adding in a fuckton of content to an open world game takes a lot of time and resources, and publishers tend to want flashy and impressive gameplay. I don't think they don't understand what made SR2 great, it's that they just plain couldn't have the same amount of time to put that into a new game.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Steam down for anyone else? Can't connect, and it's not my internet connection as I'm posting from it currently...

Edit: Nevermind, apparently Peerblock blocks Steam now, didn't used to for me.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 29, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Fuckin' :agreed:

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.

Threep gave me something. How did he know that I love balls?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

RBA Starblade posted:

So Metro 2033 Redux has the Last Light problem of shotguns being total trash and you're hosed if you have to fight the nosalis with one. What a pain.
Finished 2033 Redux and I'm like 3/4 through LL but I don't know what you mean. Both on Hardcore. Shotguns seem fine to me. Playing with the Saiga right now in LL, don't really like it as much as the revolver shotgun. I usually don't need to do more than like 2 or 3 blasts at mid range (probably easier with a shotgun with a barrel extension) to kill one, and no more than 2 at point blank.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!
Humble Bundle Store doing a big discount on "Space" games
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/space_weekend

Anyone have any thought's on Starpoint Gemini 2? Spacesim whore here and it looks like my kinda game

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.

My doors are always open for Fart of Presto.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Orv posted:

Man, you know, Lords of the Fallen probably won't be what they're touting it as, but drat if it doesn't look nice.

You know this game really looks like a high budget version of Bound By Flame, which I loved (if only for the amazing soundtrack).

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Swing posted:

When you hit 88 seconds of battery life, you're gonna see some serious poo poo.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Captain Swing posted:

Threep gave me something. How did he know that I love balls?

Captain Swing posted:

Don't ever stop doing these!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Ryuga Death posted:

Five Nights at Freddy's, the silly horror game with murderous animatronics, is 50% off at the humble store today.

Hey, thanks for the heads up!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This. Goons have their rose tinted glasses on super hard for 2 for whatever reason while everybody else is having tons of fun with 3 and 4.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 29, 2014

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I liked 3 the best. It has nothing to do with "rose tinted glasses". This might shock you, but people tend to have different opinions on things and that's absolutely fine!

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Drunk Tomato posted:

And bully is better than all of those.

And sleepy dogs is better than bully.

Case closed

lol if you think Bully is anything other than complete garbage

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sober posted:

Finished 2033 Redux and I'm like 3/4 through LL but I don't know what you mean. Both on Hardcore. Shotguns seem fine to me. Playing with the Saiga right now in LL, don't really like it as much as the revolver shotgun. I usually don't need to do more than like 2 or 3 blasts at mid range (probably easier with a shotgun with a barrel extension) to kill one, and no more than 2 at point blank.

It always takes me at least four shotgun shells point blank to kill a single lovely little rat thing. I remember the quad shotgun you get in LL near the swamp being especially crap at fending them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Uldor posted:

Anyone have any thought's on Starpoint Gemini 2? Spacesim whore here and it looks like my kinda game

I like it, but unless something has changed in the past couple of weeks, it's still early access and missing anything along the lines of a plot outside of scattered missions. You fly in third person (I tend to use the keys and mouse in turret mode) and have access to a bunch of powers and weapons with varying attributes. It's fairly solid in terms that gameplay has been steadily getting better, but it's a sandbox.

Think along the lines of a fully 3d 'starfleet command' and you're going to be close.

One slight downside is that the game comes with, or did come with, a bunch of saved games from much later in ships that you buys after gaining a lot of money, so it's cheat enabled, or was.

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 29, 2014

• Locked thread