Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Fenn the Fool! posted:

The SU&SD review said that Pandemic Legacy - Season 2 is a continuation of season 1, though I guess only loosely? My girlfriend wants to play in our Season 2 game, while simultaneously playing through Season 1 with some of her friends. Is there anything in S2 that would be a direct spoiler for S1?

I don't think there's important spoilers in terms of plot or game-strategy information (for Season 1 from Season 2) - it's a very, very loose connection.

However, Season 2 is a massive spoiler in the sense that playing Season 1 will feel super lame after playing Season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Starlit posted on Twitter that they expected to start shipping to Canada deliveries next Tuesday.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hopper posted:

Still no Gloomhaven or shipping notice here... shouldn't have order an add-on I guess

Oh right, poo poo, I ordered the solo scenario book. That's probably why I haven't heard anything.

Dammit

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I've held off on Gloomhaven cuz my buddy has a copy he's yet to even open. I keep trying to get him to bring it so a few of us can sit down with it, but he keeps saying he'd rather have people come to his house and play Kindgom Death Monster. :negative:

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Has anyone who ordered Gloomhaven from Cardhaus got a shipping notification from MyUSPS from Breinigsville, PA?

Edit: Wife ordered something, oops :(

Switched.on fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 10, 2017

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Some Numbers posted:

Oh right, poo poo, I ordered the solo scenario book. That's probably why I haven't heard anything.

Dammit
It depends, like I said a few pages ago I ordered base + solo and my delivery is scheduled for the 14th

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Ojetor posted:

That card got massively nerfed for the reprint (move 2 instead of 4).

I'd say Brute is better than Scoundrel for new players, because while the Scoundrel's cards might be superficially straightforward, she is very fragile and needs to be mindful of her position WRT to both enemies and allies to play optimally. Also card management can be an issue with only 9 cards and no way to recover.

Also whoever said Tinkerer is bad is :wrong:

Holy poo poo that is a brutal kneecapping. Tbf, card was totally, totally busted. We've found that generally the card management issue isn't a big deal 90% of the time, but obviously YMMV.

Brute is just a bit flat and uninspired compared to some of the other starter classes, I'd definitely go with Scoundrel or Mind Thief over it but obviously judge your players etc. Spellweaver has a great tempo and playstyle, but it's possible to get yourself in awful situations with the recover all lost cards if you don't know what you're doing so it's harder to recommend but if you think they can manage some forward thinking about it, it's another great opener.

The only one I'd really warn against is the cragheart, mostly because the class is not straight forward and the suggested items in the first printing are.. bad.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Skypie posted:

I've held off on Gloomhaven cuz my buddy has a copy he's yet to even open. I keep trying to get him to bring it so a few of us can sit down with it, but he keeps saying he'd rather have people come to his house and play Kindgom Death Monster. :negative:

You could give that friend a crisp hundo and take his game.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Switched.on posted:

Has anyone who ordered Gloomhaven from Cardhaus got a shipping notification from MyUSPS from Breinigsville, PA?

Edit: Wife ordered something, oops :(

Don't loving tease me like this

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
It's also worth noting that some of the starting classes can become very different to play once you get a few prosperity levels and have more items available. Your 'build' for your class really is a combination of skills+items, so very different options become possible the more you play.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skypie posted:

I played with some new folk last weekend and it looks like I might have me a gloomhaven group, but they also have an absurd amazing intro of massive darkness and zombiecide so maybe they’ll want to play that instead.

Also they ordered their own copy.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Holy poo poo that is a brutal kneecapping. Tbf, card was totally, totally busted.

Yeah, we thought it was a bit overnerfed, so we houseruled it instead to "Move 4. You may loot one hex crossed during this movement." So you still get a decent move card, but you can only loot a maximum of 2 hexes (the one you choose with the ability and the one you end your turn on).

It's worse with effects that increase your movement but it's much better baseline.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 10, 2017

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Just got my Carolina Game Tables Tablezilla in. I knew this thing was gonna be big, but not "fit the extended Scythe board comfortably in half the available playing area" big.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
One thing about Cottage Garden: the advantage of getting a bonus tile seems pretty massive, and there isn't all too much you can do to prevent your opponent from getting one.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I just got my shipping notice for Gloomhaven, which is supposed to arrive on Wednesday. Hype levels are at critical.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I am super excited so many goons finally get to enjoy gloomhaven.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

deadwing posted:

Just got my Carolina Game Tables Tablezilla in. I knew this thing was gonna be big, but not "fit the extended Scythe board comfortably in half the available playing area" big.

I'm sorry, I can't understand this without a standard reference pear.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Ojetor posted:

Yeah, we thought it was a bit overnerfed, so we houseruled it instead to "Move 4. You may loot one hex crossed during this movement." So you still get a decent move card, but you can only loot a maximum of 2 hexes (the one you choose with the ability and the one you end your turn on).

It's worse with effects that increase your movement but it's much better baseline.

Given the enhancement slot is still there I suspect the card is fine. a +1 move sticker will make the card excellent again.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Jesús gloomhaven is so much. Came home wishing I had time to actually start punching cardboard. Instead I just pulled everything out and became progressively more amazed at how much more stuff I kept pulling out. This weekend is going to be good

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I'm going to run a PBF game of 18CLE if anyone wants to join/watch:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840137

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Couple questions about gloomhaven.

1. How does the character unlocking mechanic work? Is it just "you retire character A, you now get to pick from any of the leftover starter characters or 1 of the unopened boxes" or is it like "if you retire your character and complete quest A, open box A, but if you completed quest B, open box B"?

2. I saw a thing in the overview by No Pun Included that your retired characters aren't actually gone from the game and that the game could make use of a retired character later on. They didn't specify on this at all and I'm just wondering if what they were saying is true, that once you retire a character they'll become an NPC in the game, or if they were stretching it and the game just ignores retired characters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magnetic North posted:

I'm sorry, I can't understand this without a standard reference pear.

You'd need a Conference pear, because you could hold a loving conference round that thing.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

Couple questions about gloomhaven.

1. How does the character unlocking mechanic work? Is it just "you retire character A, you now get to pick from any of the leftover starter characters or 1 of the unopened boxes" or is it like "if you retire your character and complete quest A, open box A, but if you completed quest B, open box B"?

2. I saw a thing in the overview by No Pun Included that your retired characters aren't actually gone from the game and that the game could make use of a retired character later on. They didn't specify on this at all and I'm just wondering if what they were saying is true, that once you retire a character they'll become an NPC in the game, or if they were stretching it and the game just ignores retired characters.

1. Each character (which is an individual copy of a class) has a semi-randomly-assigned retirement quest. When they meet that, they have to retire, and something new (according the the quest card; usually a class) is unlocked. A few event cards are unlocked based on what class was unlocked (if any) and which class the character who retired had. Then, make a new character, selecting from all classes currently unlocked (including the one the character that just retired had).

2. That character is gone (items back to the market, modifier deck returned to relevant box). However, someone can make another character of the class of a character that's been retired.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Retiring also adds events to the deck that reference your character

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

And for each character you personally have retired, each of your new characters gets an additional perk at creation.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
does anyone have a link to a good video that runs through a round or two of combat in Gloomhaven?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Yet Another Gloomhaven Question: would it be possible to have an inconsistent party from game to game or does that gently caress stuff up too much? Me and my partner are probably going to play this the majority of the time, but it would cool to drop additional people in occassionally. It looks like the scenario system takes into account character levels if you have a party of mixed experience?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
OK thread, I'm going to a meetup tomorrow to try a bunch of Essen games. What should I try from this list. I like heavy euros and economic games. Top games include mage knight, arkwright, FCM.
Noria
Xi’an
Petrichor (+ Flower expansion, + Promo )
The Sanctuary: Endangered Species
The Dutch East Indies
Transatlantic
Santa Maria
Pulsar 2849
Merlin (+ Merlin Queenie)
Coaster Park
Otys
Dinosaur Island
Ex Libris
Agra
Wendake (+promo)
Okanagan
Clans of Caledonia already got this one.
Keyper
Montana
Indian Summer
Calimala (+ deluxe kit)
Iberian Rails
Nusfjord
Riverboat
Altiplano
Bali
Tulip Bubble
Mini Rails
Ali Baba
Queendomino (+ Essen promo → tile tower)
Heaven and Ale (+ promo coasters)
Muse
Flee
Fear
Fortress
Riga + mini expansions
Majesty
1920 Wall Street
Senators
Claim
Tagiron
Songbirds
Perfect Hotel
Sakura Hunt
Herbalism
Tortuga
Salem 1692
Sweet Honey Bee Mine!
Shadows in Kyoto
Timebomb Evolution
Iquazú
Harvest Island
Blank

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Last GH update I'll do until I get a shipping notice and last time I'll bug Cardhaus about it, but:

"As of now the ETA is later this month early next month for Gloomhaven."

Waaaah

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey guys, TG Secret Santa 2017 is up. Boardgames are the ideal TGSS present because there's so many options for around the $30 gift target price, or just a little over. There's about a week left to sign up for the main round.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I won't be surprised when a Gloomhaven thread gets started, but until then I have a question. Disclaimer: I have yet to play.

I know people have discussed the 'legacy' elements before, but I never really considered not going ALL IN to them until now. I'm wondering if anyone has used the removable stickers and how smoothly the process fits in to the game?

I imagine using them so that you can play the game again in 5 years would be better than using them so you can play two campaigns at once. Putting stickers on a character sheet only to then have to take them off for when your other friends come over later in the week sounds terrible. But playing an entire campaign and then busting the game out when your good friend moves nearby in two years after his residency and being able to start fresh from zero sounds great.

I'd think this tracker https://ninjalooter.de/gloomhaven/scenarios would be better for the two groups at once thing. Could also replace using the stickers, but maybe that's too digital.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Speaking of gloomhaven, there’s a bunch of BGG people wondering what the hype is about and how it’s better than their other dungeon crawlers. The best part are the people trying to justify getting it when they have KDM. 🤣

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just made a GH thread to isolate us GH people from the rest of the thread who don't care about UPS updates.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840191

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just bought the Colonists expansion off of the Lookout site. CAD40$ with shipping from Germany. Yeesh. I'm worried the game didn't sell well enough to ever get the expansion over here though, and they've made it bilingual, so...

Hope it's here by Christmas - it's an easy gift for the kid if so.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads
Edit: moved to GH thread

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Impermanent posted:

OK thread, I'm going to a meetup tomorrow to try a bunch of Essen games. What should I try from this list. I like heavy euros and economic games. Top games include mage knight, arkwright, FCM.

That's a very varied list, most of which aren't heavies and most of which I haven't seen. Of the ones I know about, you should give Noria a try at least and avoid Okanagan. Jury is still out on Altiplano until I can get a second playthrough.

It also isn't anything like what you suggested, but Iquazu is very worth a look.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

MikeCrotch posted:

Yet Another Gloomhaven Question: would it be possible to have an inconsistent party from game to game or does that gently caress stuff up too much? Me and my partner are probably going to play this the majority of the time, but it would cool to drop additional people in occassionally. It looks like the scenario system takes into account character levels if you have a party of mixed experience?

Players dropping in works fine. As you noted the game scales scenarios to the number of players and their average levels. Level disparity between players is expected. Even playing with regular players, character levels will start diverging as soon as people retire characters and start new ones. So yeah, you can bring random people in for scenarios, no problem.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I scooped up a copy of Hanamikoji based on the recommendation previously. I have a family member I've been struggling to find a more laid back two player game to chat over that's still strategically stimulating for me (she has big problems with abstract visualization and Tash Kalar flat out melted her down) and the concept sounded appealing and accessible - she really likes pretty artwork. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. Nothing overly dark or horrific.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Jedit posted:

That's a very varied list, most of which aren't heavies and most of which I haven't seen. Of the ones I know about, you should give Noria a try at least and avoid Okanagan. Jury is still out on Altiplano until I can get a second playthrough.

It also isn't anything like what you suggested, but Iquazu is very worth a look.

Oh yeah it's just a list of the games that will actually be at the thing, I only vaguely know about a few of them like keyper, transatlantic, etc. Thanks for the insight on noria!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

MikeCrotch posted:

Not only are the quests scaled gracefully to the number of players and their levels (it handles someone retiring a character at level 9 and starting a new one at baby level as a matter of course after all) but dropping party members in and out is otherwise fine. Scenarios can be replayed, but any loot chests or scenario rewards are gotten only once and not again.

The party itself has party-level achievements which are written on the party sheet, so a party can gain and lose members just fine without impacting the campaign. Again, the game is centered around the idea of co-operating but ultimately self-interested party members joining and retiring and coming back as new other players as a core mechanic.

There is also a simple and effective scenario generator in the game. Make a map and populate it with baddies and have a goal. You can do these whenever you like or run them as one-shots with anyone at all with no effect on the main campaign. Past scenarios can also be re-played, but any treasure tiles can be looted once only (there is a checkmark for each unique loot to keep track.)