Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

homeless snail posted:

I just want 4 player content that's EX difficulty or higher, is all...

PotD past about floor 170 is basically this, shame about having to do 51-170 first to get to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Hell yeah, I'd love that.

I do like how FFXIV's "hard mode" dungeons are actually all new encounters put into the same dungeon map, but I really wouldn't mind if they also just did "extreme" dungeons or whatever that don't totally recreate the dungeon and story but are harder versions of an already-existing one. I know I (and others) have compared this kind of thing to WoW's Mythic+ thing but it wouldn't necessarily have to be this timed, competitive thing necessarily. I just think hard 4-player stuff would be fun.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Thundarr posted:

PotD past about floor 170 is basically this, shame about having to do 51-170 first to get to it.

The high floors are hard, but I don't like why they're hard - random spawns with random pomanders.

Give me hand crafted encounter, with coordinated, punishing mechanics where luck isn't a factor.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tam-Tara Deepcroft (Ultimate) when

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

homeless snail posted:

{Same}

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Thundarr posted:

I like deep dungeon more than most people and have my crystal pumpkin earring and whatnot, but there just isn't a great reward system in place. There's very few cosmetic rewards, and there aren't really any ilevel upgrades. You get tomes from it but not at a particularly great rate and that's honestly a pretty boring reward for difficult content anyway.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

some of the accursed hoard stuff in HoH sells for quite a lot

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The high floors are hard, but I don't like why they're hard - random spawns with random pomanders.

Give me hand crafted encounter, with coordinated, punishing mechanics where luck isn't a factor.

I can totally get behind that. The problem is convincing the devs to make that instead of more Eureka.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They can put it inside eureka 2, for all I care, BA was great

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I just hope the inevitable BA2 is less of a nightmare to get into. I get that it was supposed to be more of a spontaneously organized thing but I would kill for it to be in Duty Finder or something.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don’t think think you’re “midcore” if you’ve cleared an ultimate lol

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I like deep dungeon more than most people and have my crystal pumpkin earring and whatnot, but there just isn't a great reward system in place. There's very few cosmetic rewards, and there aren't really any ilevel upgrades. You get tomes from it but not at a particularly great rate and that's honestly a pretty boring reward for difficult content anyway.

I do enjoy the higher floors, but the time to get there makes me want to kill myself. If Savage or EX required a huge time commitment of trash that did not challenge you in the slightest and wiping forced you to do it all over again no one would do the content.

"Risk" vs Reward of deep dungeon is fine, but that is only if you don't include the huge time sink in the risk portion. Time vs Reward is definitely not worth it. If I could start at F151 it would be fine, but having to go through hours of utter poo poo just to get the chance at a decent drop (Pegasus Mount) out of the sacks is just not worth it.

I do wish there was more difficult 4 man content, but I could see the community becoming extremely toxic in trying to enforce some dumb meta. We had a preview of this when ARR was released and people were speed running WP for tomes. It was something like PLD, WHM, BRD, & BLM or GTFO. Graned WAR was a garbage tank at the time and melee AoE DPS wasn't great.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Yeah that would be the major problem of "hard" 4 man content, a meta would be found out real quick and get locked in for it. Just look at WoW's current Mythic + scene and what happened there with it being Rogue/Rogue/3rd DPS between like 3-4 choices/Warrior Tank/Resto Druid.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Tam-Tara Deepcroft (Ultimate) when
party keeps wiping on Edda EX trial

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would genuinely enjoy more BA but would hope they can find a way to do interesting things with Logograms. It's a small but fun customization especially where you balance out how much DPS you can do with other utility things. The fact that Warrior + Double Edge + Martialist is a top tier DPS but only if you have healers keeping them alive is a lot of fun for literally everyone involved.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Who cares, PF already enforces lots of stupid bullshit around EX primals so it wouldn't be anything new, at least with 4 people it would be easier to put together your own groups and not rely on PF

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Something that carries the same level of risks of BA but is built for smaller groups would be rad.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

BA?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Baldesion Arsenal, the last thing in Eureka

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Baldesion Arsenal, its the 56 man dungeon at the end of Eureka. It tries to evoke a lot of FF11/EQ nostalgia in its design, and also has no revives and has slightly more challenging versions of 24-man bosses.

Lenore03
Apr 22, 2010
Let's cast out third eye inwards and ask ourselves. How much Spruce Plywood is TOO MUCH Spruce Plywood?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Demi-Ozma from BA will probably forever be the best mount in the game, also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBCYyfDjCmY

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Demi-Ozma from BA will probably forever be the best mount in the game, also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBCYyfDjCmY

I was cold on it at first until I took it into a flying zone then I fell in love.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lenore03 posted:

Let's cast out third eye inwards and ask ourselves. How much Spruce Plywood is TOO MUCH Spruce Plywood?

Three.

Because you'll need at least one to turn into Reinforced Spruce Plywood for the master book.

And then, optionally, you'll need one more to turn into Reinforced Spruce Plywood for an Ullikummi Supra. Which you'll then turn in for an Ullikummi Lucis for an achievement.

So three is too much.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

homeless snail posted:

Baldesion Arsenal, its the 56 man dungeon at the end of Eureka. It tries to evoke a lot of FF11/EQ nostalgia in its design, and also has no revives and has slightly more challenging versions of 24-man bosses.

Huh. Probably not something I'll see then, I don't have any nostalgia for the era.

Is there any subtlety to using The Blackest Night besides "on cooldown unless you know a big hit is coming soon"? I've been tanking 4 mans this afternoon and getting away with not knowing what I'm doing, so so far so good. I kinda wanna do Orbonne, Sigmascape and Omegascape blind too, if I can, but seems that would be kinda mean to do without saying anything :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 6, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any subtlety to using The Blackest Night besides "on cooldown unless you know a big hit is coming soon"? I've been tanking 4 mans this afternoon and getting away with not knowing what I'm doing, so so far so good. I kinda wanna do Orbonne, Sigmascape and Omegascape blind too, if I can, but seems that would be kinda mean to do without saying anything :v:

against bosses, TBN is on a short enough cooldown you just use it to prop up your other defensives; so like if you know a tankbuster is coming up you can use it alongside rampart or dark mind or whatever

in trash pulls, gather everything up and pop it for free blackblood, use blackblood on quietus to build up more MP, dump MP into more TBN, etc. pretty much use it on cooldown

if you're offtanking, put give TBN to main tank whenever tankbuster is coming up for free blackblood

the idea is you want to use it on instances you know it's going to break because its best value comes not solely from the damage reduction but also the resources it gives you

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Friday night PF is the best time of the week.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Alder posted:

Friday night PF is the best time of the week.

Where does semi-serious fall in the softcore/midcore/hardcore trinity?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It means that you are hardcore (6 raid nights per week all savage clears day of release) but only sometimes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
steppe up is a good name for a xaela-themed restaurant

or a xaela-themed disco

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Look like Averiel found their soulmate

Griz
May 21, 2001

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
I always defined midcore as people who use PF to do current Ex Primals and Hardcore as anyone doing current Savage/ultimate raids in a static.

Iirc, most casual players don't even touch extremes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

yeah i think i'm done for the night...

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

It seems like what some people aren't getting is that the casual/midcore/hardcore split where casual involves scheduling stuff really only applies to raiders with statics instead of the population as a whole. Basically they're handy shorthand for static recruitment so everyone knows what they're signing up for.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

There was some interest in DGKK chat tonight about unsynching A12S, so here's a quick write up on the mechanics that matter. I'll try to organize groups over the weekend so we can get some goons their clears, glamours, mounts, weapons, etc.

^ This diagram was drawn by me (an idiot). A12S is so easy, even idiots like me can do it unsynched. ^

Before pulling: Mark the East, South, and West sides of the arena with an A, B, and C. In the North, place a 1 and a 2. These markers will come up in phase 3, which is the only phase that matters.

Phase 1) There's nothing. Just DPS until the adds spawn.

Phase 2) Kill adds to get LB, and make sure that they don't kill your tanks/DPS. The last two robots have some nasty attacks that still hurt level 70s. Once the adds are dead, Alex will use a big attack that you will need to mitigate. Use tank LB2, a dispersed adlo, shake it off, whatever your team has. Even at level 70, this still does a ton of damage, so you'll need the shields and extra damage reduction.

Phase 3) Just attack the boss until he throws out debuffs, and casts a skill called Temporal Stasis. This is the only mechanic that really matters when unsynching this, but gently caress ups are easy to recover from as long as a healer, RDM, or SMN are still up.

• DPS: Three out of four DPS will be marked with a debuff called Defamation that causes a massive AOE centered on that player. If you get this debuff, go to A, B, or C. One of four DPS will get a debuff called Shared Sentence. This is a small AOE that needs to be split with someone else, and causes everyone hit to take extra damage from AOEs like Defamation. Go to the 1 marker to split this. Note: most PF groups will call out preferred markers before pulling. Having pre-assigned spots makes this less chaotic, but really isn't necessary if everyone is fast.

• Healers: One of the healers will get a debuff called Shared Sentence, which does a small AOE that needs its damage split with a friend. The healer who does not get this debuff is the friend you will split this damage with. Meet up at the 2 marker. Note: Getting hit by Shared Sentence will increase damage from other sources. If you explode after getting hit by Shared Sentence, it was probably some DPS's fault for being too close.

• Tanks: One tank will get a debuff and a tether to another player. The other tank will get nothing. If you are the tank without a tether, go to marker 1 to help the DPS with Shared Sentence. If you are the tank with the tether, you will either need to get close to the player you are tethered to, or move far away from them. If you get the debuff House Arrest you'll have a red and green tether to another player. You and that other player will take a large amount of damage if you are not near each other during the time stop, so stand on top of them. If you receive the debuff Restrictive Order, which gives a blue tether, you should move as far away from the other player as possible. Being too close will deal a large amount of damage to both of you. Note: The debuff icon for this tether will either have two arrows pointing towards each other (get close), or two arrows pointing away (seperate) to make these mechanics easy to remember.
This looks kinda complicated reading it, but really, it's pretty easy if you just focus on what your role needs to do. Here's another way to think of these mechanics that might be a bit easier for some people:
  • Got Defamation aka the debuff icon with a big black circle? You should go to A, B, or C.
  • Got Shared Sentence aka the debuff icon with people on it? Go to 1 (DPS) or 2 (healer) to split the damage.
  • Got House Arrest aka the green and red tether aka the debuff with two arrows pointing towards each other? Stick close to your new DPS friend.
  • Got Restraining Order aka the blue tether aka the debuff with two arrows pointing away from each other? Get away from that dirty DPS you are tethered to.
  • Got nothing? Go to 1 (tank) or 2 (healer) so you can help split those Shared Sentences.
After the timestop, the boss will cover the arena in aoe puddles that expand after a second. Find a safe spot. After the AOEs go off, the boss will use either Sacrament or Radial Sacrament. Sacrament is the big AOE from normal mode, where Alex explodes like a bomberman bomb. Radial Sacrament requires players to run inside of Alex's model. Don't try to move to a safe spot for Sacrament/Radial Sacrament when you avoid the expanding AOEs. You'll have just enough time to avoid both, even if you have to move to an awkward position. The boss may do a second timestop if your DPS is low. If so, the debuffs will be a bit different and messy.

Phase 4) Portals and puddles! The boss will open four time gate portals in the Northeast, Southeast, Northwest, and Southwest. Just like in normal mode, there are adds in those portals that have to die to stop an autowipe. Some groups will be able to finish off the boss before these cause a wipe, some won't. If you are in a group that doesn't, some DPS, a healer, and/or an off tank should hop in portals to kill the adds. The add in the Southwest portal hits hard, which makes it the best add for a tank to kill. The add in the Southeast portal does the same attack as the hard-hitting add in phase two. It's easy for a healer to heal through this, or for a well geared DPS to kill it before it becomes a problem. During the portals phase, the boss will also mark one player in the main arena for Judgement Crystal. That player will have a big puddle drop on top of them after a few seconds. If you get marked, go to the edge.

Phase 5) You probably won't see this, unless you are doing this with less than 8 players, or you have a lot of people dying. During this phase, the Judgement Crystals from phase 4 will explode, and Alex will teleport. When he reappears, he will use Sacrament (the bomberman bomb explosion), followed by Radial Sacrament (the aoe you avoid by running into Alex's model). The places Alex will appear are predictable, but its kinda weird and complicated. Just do your best to avoid his explosions, and finish him off.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bright and cheery.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Random neat thing - in the first Stormblood fishing quest, Wawalago mentions you being friends with other Sahagin if you've done the Sahagin beast tribe quests in ARR. The minute the Sahagin showed up I wondered if they're reference me being buddies with them, and sure enough it did!

Speaking of beast tribes, I've been finishing them up and currently only have the Sylph left.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
With some help from the scrub buff Echo, my static is finally making it past Hello World 1 semi-consistently and into the archives. Can someone explain Archive All to me, an idiot, in a way that I can understand? Figuring out which fist to go to isn't too hard, but the text guide isn't exactly clear on what to do with the AOEs, the other AOEs, and the stack marker that all pop up at the same time. Doesn't help that someone usually gets dunked by the Electric Slide part of it, but details.

Since I'm required by thread law to post a screenshot with every post in here,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

With some help from the scrub buff Echo, my static is finally making it past Hello World 1 semi-consistently and into the archives. Can someone explain Archive All to me, an idiot, in a way that I can understand? Figuring out which fist to go to isn't too hard, but the text guide isn't exactly clear on what to do with the AOEs, the other AOEs, and the stack marker that all pop up at the same time. Doesn't help that someone usually gets dunked by the Electric Slide part of it, but details.

Keep group stacked tight on the edge of the platform while dpsing the fist. When the ground aoes go out everybody gets out, spreading in a semi circle around those ground aoe markers. It helps some groups to roughly assign positions for this part. So you might say heals on the right, tanks mid-right, melee mid-left, ranged left, etc. this Cuts down on how much adjustments everyone has to make for the next aoes. Basically once those first ground aoes disappear, the person with the stack marker and those without markers will immediately go back to the fist spot to share it. The remainder with personal aoe markers will stay out and make sure they aren’t clipping anyone else with their aoe