Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Tbh the easiest "fix" for cards is to remove balance and spear entirely.

There's always going to be a "best" and "worst" card for any given situation. The only question is if whether those cards are different for a given situation, at which point then you just look at the card that has the highest average expected value over all situations, and boom, you have your new Balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the issue isnt that there's a card thats the best more often than the others, its that theres a card thats best in every situation period.

assuming we care about fixing that the only real answer is to have zero cards that influence dps directly, but that's obviously not going to be a popular idea.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Make every card increase dps, but there is a single percentage difference between each card.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
make them work like corsair rolls where each buff is on a separate cooldown and the rng is for potency instead of which type of buff you get. also replace balance with the +exp roll

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Countblanc posted:

the issue isnt that there's a card thats the best more often than the others, its that theres a card thats best in every situation period.

Yep. At the very least, having cards be pure utility requires more strategic planning beforehand (e.g. I know I want X card with Y RR during Z phase, plotted out over the encounter), and makes instances like pulling an Ewer after ressing someone more meaningful. Right now, anything other than fishing for AoE Balance is strictly suboptimal regardless of the situation, and it turns the system from a card game to a slot machine.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 7, 2019

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Somebody say slot machines? Bring back Corsair. :getin:

Honestly though, if they rework MCH into a more Edgar from FFVI direction, another class with a gun wouldn't be a bad thing and they do really seem to love their RNG these days.

It's me, the one person who actually enjoyed playing Corsair in FFXI.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
If we can have 4 different sword jobs (pld sam gun and nin really, tbh) then we can have another gun job.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Yeah nah this idea is bad and blows and just basically turns the one actually interesting part of the class that makes it somewhat unique into pointless garbage. AST isn't busted and the cards don't need to be gutted like that.

You talk as if balance is the only card you ever want to play but Spear is insanely good and if you have a SAM or BLM arrow is a fine choice to play as well. Bole is always good because it means less healing from you and more DPS opportunities.

The answer to "My brain demons will not let me do something 5% un optiomal so I do nothing fishing for one card combo instead of just using my buffs" shouldn't be "Eh let's just make the buffs kind of shiity."

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 7, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

What I'm saying is, Stay in your lane.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Vermain posted:

Again, this is all contingent on them actually changing around the healing paradigm so that AST doesn't get instantly screwed by the loss of the one compelling reason to take them along over WHM.

👀

do you even heal

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Die Sexmonster! posted:

👀

do you even heal

It's loving amazing. A beautifully ignorant post.

Vermain posted:

Again, this is all contingent on them actually changing around the healing paradigm so that AST doesn't get instantly screwed by the loss of the one compelling reason to take them along over WHM.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 7, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Since we're on the latest binge of 'bad ideas to prospective problems' here's my hot take: AST isn't the problem, SCH is.

I'm curious how SCH will make out with the healing changes. Might nerf Adlo down to AST levels. Might make the fairy into a similar card system instead of a pocket healer.
And they still won't get any sweet-looking AoE moves because bane-ing dots is just fine for them :getin:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i predict there won't actually be a healing overhaul and the changes they've talked about will be minor potency changes at most

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You now get 2 lillies when you cast cure

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

You can now store 4 lilies.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
You have to build lilies to cast holy.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You can only get lilies if you are in a girl/girl marriage. Cause lilies means lesbian in japan

E: Just in time for the all girl race, Viera

Leal fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 7, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Countblanc posted:

make them work like corsair rolls where each buff is on a separate cooldown and the rng is for potency instead of which type of buff you get. also replace balance with the +exp roll

That was a much better way to handle rng being baked into a class with buffs and it'd be my ideal way to salvage AST too.

Fake Edit: Even though I just recently earned 'of Dragon's Deep', I am required to use 'Keeper of the Lilacs' until they add in a proper lily themed title. :colbert:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

EponymousMrYar posted:

Since we're on the latest binge of 'bad ideas to prospective problems' here's my hot take: AST isn't the problem, SCH is.

I'm curious how SCH will make out with the healing changes. Might nerf Adlo down to AST levels. Might make the fairy into a similar card system instead of a pocket healer.
And they still won't get any sweet-looking AoE moves because bane-ing dots is just fine for them :getin:

AST shields are already better than SCH shields, outside of a Critlo or Deploy Adlo. SCH is good because of the fairy and oGCDs.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Is there a way to make a macro that checks for a buff? I was thinking of making one that drops Grit, turns on Blood Weapon and turns Grit back on after ten seconds, but if I have to pop Grit before BW expires it'd just turn Grit off again.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
No.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Marathanes posted:

Somebody say slot machines? Bring back Corsair. :getin:

Honestly though, if they rework MCH into a more Edgar from FFVI direction, another class with a gun wouldn't be a bad thing and they do really seem to love their RNG these days.

It's me, the one person who actually enjoyed playing Corsair in FFXI.

I loving loved COR in 11, it was one of my mains, and I would celebrate its return.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Healer idea: green mage, no OGCD heals, is expected to hard cast heals and contributes DPS by pulsing out debuffs on enemies whenever they overheal somebody. Every point of overhealing on an ally is translated into a point of bonus damage on the target. Has a number of instant GCD heals and OGCD damage spells/additional debuffs/stuff that manipulates debuffs and the bank of stored bonus damage.

I'm not sure what percentage of this idea is a gag and what percentage is legit now that I look at it again.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

AST shields are already better than SCH shields, outside of a Critlo or Deploy Adlo. SCH is good because of the fairy and oGCDs.

A really big critlo requires you to get a warrior tank to drop DPS stance, pop convalescence, popping your own +healing stuff, and then hoping one of these adlos crits in time and without burning too much of your mana. I'd really rather they just buff adlo and remove the double shield on crit aspect, or at the very least give scholar a guaranteed crit cooldown. It can cost an absurd amount of mana for what you get out of it.

Scholar is strong because of eos, indom, lustrate, and sometimes excog. The shields are just kind of a bonus.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is there a way to make a macro that checks for a buff? I was thinking of making one that drops Grit, turns on Blood Weapon and turns Grit back on after ten seconds, but if I have to pop Grit before BW expires it'd just turn Grit off again.

No conditionals in macros, sadly.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah nah this idea is bad and blows and just basically turns the one actually interesting part of the class that makes it somewhat unique into pointless garbage. AST isn't busted and the cards don't need to be gutted like that.

You talk as if balance is the only card you ever want to play but Spear is insanely good and if you have a SAM or BLM arrow is a fine choice to play as well. Bole is always good because it means less healing from you and more DPS opportunities.

The answer to "My brain demons will not let me do something 5% un optiomal so I do nothing fishing for one card combo instead of just using my buffs" shouldn't be "Eh let's just make the buffs kind of shiity."

The answer to something not being balanced isn't "stop being such a tryhard nerd" lol. Wtf

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

And wanting to do the strongest or best thing doesn't mean you have 'brain demons' or that you aren't having fun when you play

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

johnny park posted:

And wanting to do the strongest or best thing doesn't mean you have 'brain demons' or that you aren't having fun when you play

I mean, if you complain about only hitting one button as a lancer back when doing 2 impulse drives was a 20 potency increase over a thrust->vorpal thrust combo then yeah, it is kinda your fault for that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

EponymousMrYar posted:

I mean, if you complain about only hitting one button as a lancer back when doing 2 impulse drives was a 20 potency increase over a thrust->vorpal thrust combo then yeah, it is kinda your fault for that.

no thats still the game's fault

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Spitballing: what if cards worked off a Tetris-esque bag randomization? Shuffle all six, and you get each of them once in some random order before you get each a second time in some random order, and so on.

Now it's not a matter of fishing for Balance. You can't, really: at best you can track your progress through a bag and know if you've got a chance of a Balance on the Redraw. Which, well, if you can: congrats, that's a matter of skill, not luck.

So now even if you do score a Balance on your first draw, you'll need to account for your next five draws being Not Balance. Let's say you get Balance and then Spire. Great! You now will not be seeing either in the next four draws, and so you need to figure out what to do with those cards. You're forced to engage with all of the card effects and Royal Road options instead of just pulling the Balance Slot Machine lever.

It's not perfect, but I think it adds the maximum amount of skill and diversity to the mechanic while taking the least work for both devs to implement and players to adjust to. Additionally, since you know what the maximum output of the cards is over a 90-100 second period, then the job is less swingy and more consistent in terms of its contribution to damage.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They really just need to think through card balance a bit better. The basic card mechanics and the ways you can shuffle through or save them seem fine.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Martman posted:

I'm in a very similar boat! Main thing I'm missing is the SB doggos, and the quest for getting them all.

But... do you have all the TT cards, orchestrion rolls, perfect racing chocobo, etc?? :getin:

I'm slowly working on all the TT cards, I just got the achivement for 150 cards. I've got about 90% of the orchestrion rolls. I'm leaving the chocobo racing stuff to the next expansion because if i don't have something to keep my occupied, I'll go nuts (even moreso). Same with the the doggos, I always farm the primal mounts the expansion after they were released.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Each even level in ShB should give the AST a new, different, highly specific buff card ( 20% damage when attacking monsters with less than 50% hp, instant refresh of all weaponskills, aetherflow replenishment, cooldown reduction on all skills with an 's' in the name, etc.) Just to make the "which class gets which buff" game harder for new ASTs.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Here's what you do

1) Make every card give a damage buff

2) Make the buff smaller since it will now have 100% up time

3) Give the Balance a new effect

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cards should be randomly generated by an AI with each use and even the developers shouldn't know what it is possible to draw.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Cards should be randomly generated by an AI with each use and even the developers shouldn't know what it is possible to draw.

KeyForge is the level 80 capstone ability.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Trasson posted:

KeyForge is the level 80 capstone ability.
Ah, I had to quit playing. Yeah, my character briefly owned a lot of Square Enix stock and then the next card deleted my account.

No no, not me. The character. Hooters O'Tit. I heard it hosed with the markets.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah they should instead reference an actually good card game and introduce XZY's AST buffs. AST's are all technically tuners already so we gotta move on. Get 2 of a specific buff in your table XYZ them for a super buff. Turn Double Spire into an instant HP/MP heal for the party

XZY?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Replace all the cards with pieces of Exodia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

AST's cards should just be WHM abilities.