Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Working on important features

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I love the fact that the tablecloth looks like you've got some cloth physics and then it just stays totally rigid.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

clockwork automaton posted:

agreed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqOIpc9D07E

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

toiletbrush posted:

I love the fact that the tablecloth looks like you've got some cloth physics and then it just stays totally rigid.

So I shouldn't fix it then, just for hilarity?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

So ARE you making a game about zipping the tablecloth out from underneath dishes, or... is this something else? I've been watching the GIFs, and wondering what the heck it was going to be.

"Pastel Table Flip 5000" would be nice too, don't get me wrong.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shalinor posted:

So ARE you making a game about zipping the tablecloth out from underneath dishes, or... is this something else? I've been watching the GIFs, and wondering what the heck it was going to be.

"Pastel Table Flip 5000" would be nice too, don't get me wrong.

Basically: Tea making simulator 2015, but that's not to say it won't have a bunch of other pieces.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Basically: Tea making simulator 2015, but that's not to say it won't have a bunch of other pieces.

As long as its like Surgeon Simulator in that its really about smashing the tea cups into people's faces, I'm sold :allears:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Zaphod42 posted:

As long as its like Surgeon Simulator in that its really about smashing the tea cups into people's faces, I'm sold :allears:
Comatose Tea Party Simulator would be pretty awesome, though I think you'd get called out for being creepily close to Date Rape Drug Simulator.

Maybe stuffed animals? Get points for making them drink tea? (a/o smashing a teacup into the poor bear's face)

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

wheeee - also gifgrabber can't handle my shaders so the colors aren't nearly as hosed up.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Meanwhile in Enterprise land, sales is looking at $80k for this:

So that's not the app, that's some internal thing that crashes like crazy. It is not the content as that is way more and needs separate licenses for ISIN, CUSIP, SEDOL, and GICS from somewhere or other, it is for simple moving and transforming the data from point A to point B.

The idea is to reduce the effort required for the end-developer to reliably access the content without learning a new API. And whats the content? It is mapping between different financial codes because Reuters has their own symbology and IP lawyers so it is also painful to move between Bloomberg, Reuters, and IDC for content.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Probably cheaper to just get some interns to do whatever you need done by hand.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

wheeee - also gifgrabber can't handle my shaders so the colors aren't nearly as hosed up.

flip - unflip

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

You can tell that it is an English tea by how politely it all jumps back onto the table. :11tea:

So, I recently picked up and began reworking my original BeagleBone Black cape hardware designed to interface with SNES gamepads. I expanded the design a bit and juggled it around to fit the actual SNES connectors onto the cape board. The schematic is still largely the same, though I'm using gamepad connectors rather than a molex connector to a wiring harness:

Doing the layout was quite a learning experience:

The renders of the layout look workable:

This cape board, coupled with my software work, should turn the BBB into a retrogaming console. Aside from accepting the two SNES gamepads, the cape also adds a battery-backed real-time clock and has the proper EEPROM in place to report the revision and capebus position of the cape for automatic enumeration and device tree overlay loading. Right now, the programmable real-time unit (PRU) firmware code to interface with the gamepads via this cape is a mere 57 bytes when assembled. I need to test it a bit more and review my hardware design more thoroughly. Once that is done, I will send the design off to Dirty PCBs and have a prototype run of boards made up.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

VHS shader on reversing time

Starting some achievement stuff

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Dred_furst posted:

After reading suggestions in this thread, I finally got around to having a go at writing a ray tracer, and it's suprisingly fun:

so far I've gotten diffuse and reflectance working, as well as gamma correction and exposure control. Next on the list is anti-aliasing of some sort (suggestions would be welcome) and some more object types.

Congrats. Looks like it's common for people to try this one time or another. Hopefully I'm up at bat soon. I think I'm going to use Javascript just to remind myself it won't matter much what I use.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Congrats. Looks like it's common for people to try this one time or another. Hopefully I'm up at bat soon. I think I'm going to use Javascript just to remind myself it won't matter much what I use.

if it doesnt matter you should use brainfuck

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Needs a flashing |<< in the upper left. And like a "reversing vhs audio" kind of sound.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

This rules! What method are you using for the shader? Are you distorting the screen + 1 pixel mosaic line randomly sprinkled into the image?

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

RoboCicero posted:

This rules! What method are you using for the shader? Are you distorting the screen + 1 pixel mosaic line randomly sprinkled into the image?

There's a bit more to the overlay that what is visible in the gif. Basically distorting the screen and then overlaying a VHS rewind texture from a movie file of an actual VHS rewind.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Snapchat A Titty posted:

if it doesnt matter you should use brainfuck

That would actually be cool for someone to achieve.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
There is at least one moderately sized game written in BF- a text adventure:

https://github.com/rdebath/LostKingdom/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I like esoteric languages as much as the next programmer but if I was trying to actually write a game in brainfuck (for whatever stupid reason) I think I'd just work on something like a C to brainfuck interpreter instead first. :v: Is that cheating?

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

No, that sounds sane... And at the same time yes cheating. Just don't tell anyone!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

https://github.com/benjojo/c2bf

quote:

C2BF is a C compiler targeting brainfuck, written by the twisted mind of Gregor
Richards.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Zaphod42 posted:

I like esoteric languages as much as the next programmer but if I was trying to actually write a game in brainfuck (for whatever stupid reason) I think I'd just work on something like a C to brainfuck interpreter instead first. :v: Is that cheating?

No, as long as you write the interpreter itself in brainfuck.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I was working through my to-do list, and I decided to dust off my 3D printer and try to get the thing calibrated. I had awful luck with it previously and gave up on it after spending about 12 hours (and a lot of filament) trying to get it working properly. To start with, this thing is not a high-end printer:

Adafruit was having a super special deal on these "build it yourself" Printrbot Maker 1405 kits ($350), so I grabbed one as soon as I received their mail about the offer. It was a good thing, too, since the whole inventory of them sold out in about an hour. After finally digging back in for about four hours last night, I managed to get this thing mostly running. This involved hardware calibration on the Z-stop sensor, flashing new firmware to the controller board, trying a new type of PLA filament, and manually adjusting the start/stop offsets (the G-code M212 settings).

The top row are all with the initial firmware, which extruded too fast. You can see it getting better (going left to right), but it was still a mess. I changed to the new filament (the black stuff) and had better luck, but it was still extruding too fast (left two). I raised the extruder tip via the Z-stop sensor and ended up dragging the extruder through less of the filament (middle black one). Finally, updating the firmware resulted in slower extrusion, which fixed the key problem of too much filament being squirted out. Some M212 adjustments and I just about had it (rightmost black one).

I set up a webcam pointing at the printer so that I didn't have to keep turning around to keep tabs on it during the production run:

Look at that sucker go!

So what comes next? And how does this stuff tie into my Beagle Entertainment System software work?

:science:

My PCB design for the BeagleBone BES cape has been sent to Hong Kong for fabrication. I made a few adjustments to the previous design to add in a status LED and a "menu" button (to bring up the pause menu):

It looks like I might just end up with my "SNES in the palm of your hand" after all! And with native SNES gamepad interfacing, to boot. After I get the PCBs back and test out the initial PCB design, I should think about a Kickstarter to produce a limited run (like 50 or 100) of these things. If anyone has experience with Kickstarter for this sort of thing and has some advice, shoot me a PM and fill me in.

hendersa fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 29, 2015

foosel
Apr 2, 2010

hendersa posted:

Adafruit was having a super special deal on these "build it yourself" Printrbot Maker 1405 kits ($350), so I grabbed one as soon as I received their mail about the offer.

Just to make sure you don't run into any problems down the road, that definitely looks more like the 1401 model, not the 1405. Could be important for finding upgrades online or selecting the proper firmware settings.

quote:

I set up a webcam pointing at the printer so that I didn't have to keep turning around to keep tabs on it during the production run:

Shameless self promotion: Take a look at OctoPrint :) Runs on a BBB (or Pi or whatever else you might have lying around, my guess is the BBB is most likely however given your own project) and allows you to get rid of the PC for controlling the printer plus has a live webcam feed too, all in your browser.

And since this is the screenshot thread:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Germstore posted:

No, as long as you write the interpreter itself in brainfuck.

Nah that's silly, what you do is you write the c to brainfuck interpreter in C, and then when you're done you simply feed the program into itself and whala, free brianfuck interpreter in brainfuck! No actual brainfuck ever has to be written. (Although you would have to understand it to write the c compiler :cheeky:)

Its a compiler ouroboros!

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
voila

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
A while back I posted about a K interpreter I've been writing. Last night I started tinkering with a project I call iKe:

It's a browser-based IDE for writing games and interactive graphical sketches using K. It's very fun to see how much can be written in a few lines of actual code and some arrays of static data. If there's interest I can show some additional screenshots as I develop more involved examples with the system.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
This free course might be interesting to those who are into raycasting.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Grawl posted:

This free course might be interesting to those who are into raycasting.

I think you mean raytracing! ;) But it looks intriguing, thank you!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I was about to say the same. Raycasting is old school Wolf3D style FPS engines. Raytracing is modern super fancy light-physics based rendering.

Easy to mix em up :cheeky: (I had a moment once where I was like "no loving way is wolf3d using a raytracer" :downs:)

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

glitch bear and the ability to be dragged around

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I hope you're going to keep glitch bear looking glitchy, because it's :krad:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

glitch bear and the ability to be dragged around

:perfect:

This is like Noby Noby Boy 2.0

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Glitch Bear is good.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, glitch bear looks really good as is. What're you doing to achieve that?

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

UncleBlazer posted:

Yeah, glitch bear looks really good as is. What're you doing to achieve that?

Yeah, I was probably gonna keep glitch bear looking like that, but I am gonna add an option to turn the blinking off since I don't want to murder people's eyes.

I have a shader that's basically this detail shader in screen space (some custom stuff for rim shading and whatnot added in) and the glitching is actually a gif a converted to an mov and then in code I'm setting the texture for the shader to a MovieTexture and then playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I've been working on a Unity asset for a minute now that's finally starting to come together. It's a procedural generation framework that's intended to pretty easily slot in to existing or newly-created projects.
It's an additional component that stores nodes with position information and a heading quaternion. You add the component to your game objects and define plug and socket nodes, and tag them. On generation, the component looks at the sockets on your object, and picks out appropriately-tagged plugs. It creates a hierarchy of plugs and sockets, then recursively iterates through the hierarchy to instantiate the objects into the game world and align them with each other.

Pretty rough (I used older free Unity assets) to run through a little demo this morning:

Placing sockets (each socket can be given a % chance to be left empty, plugs are given selection weights among like-kinds)

Actually running. Generation time can be seen in the upper left. It's filling 20 slots from 3 tree selections and 15 shrub/weed selections. I haven't started optimizing anything yet, but it looks like I probably won't have to sweat over it.

I still have a way to go, but it's turning into something presentable I think.