Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Honestly, the RAZR MAXX seems much more masculine of a phone. Personally, the biggest lure to the nexus is the full on screen software buttons. At times a little less responsive, but I feel the lack of real hardware/software buttons made the Android experience much better. I hope moto will release an all screen version similar to the galaxy nexus. Droid nexus perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I have the regular razr and have been hoping to find some oem backs/batteries for the maxx.

Battery life is kind of egh but I'm usually at 60% by the time I get home from work.

The ICS update is cool and I certainly hope that cm9 or aokp start supporting it or come out with official roms.

I also noticed that after the ICS update, the bass output has been changed going through the audio jack.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
there seems to be one place (that was linked earlier in the thread) selling the battery and new backings, but they have next to zero stock, and are always on backorder / preorder.

They also seem pretty shady forcing you to buy everything as a package, including a $15 glue pad to stick the battery to the case.

I really want to switch my battery over, but it seems there is zero alternative.

And i also want my ICS update at least a few hours before google announces Jelly Bear (that we probably wont get unless you buy the Razr Maxx HD later this year)

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is there a good way to tell whose fault 4G drops are? I'll go from that to 3g and back again without going anywhere or doing anything different, and if it's my building or location or the network being weird whatever, but I don't want this to turn out to be a dud phone since you only get so long to exchange it razr maxx).

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Roundboy posted:

there seems to be one place (that was linked earlier in the thread) selling the battery and new backings, but they have next to zero stock, and are always on backorder / preorder.

They also seem pretty shady forcing you to buy everything as a package, including a $15 glue pad to stick the battery to the case.

I really want to switch my battery over, but it seems there is zero alternative.

And i also want my ICS update at least a few hours before google announces Jelly Bear (that we probably wont get unless you buy the Razr Maxx HD later this year)

TBH i downloaded the update myself instead of waiting for the OTA.

It was hell, only because I used titanium backup and restored apps+data, which somehow caused some conflicts that completely disabled the lock screen and 3 of the four buttons.

Other than that, following the instructions was easy as pie, just took some time to do, and some time to reconfigure to my liking. Even was able to flash a uot battery mod.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is there a good way to tell whose fault 4G drops are? I'll go from that to 3g and back again without going anywhere or doing anything different, and if it's my building or location or the network being weird whatever, but I don't want this to turn out to be a dud phone since you only get so long to exchange it razr maxx).

Since the RAZR family seems to have really good radio performance when compared to most of the other LTE phones on VZW, I'd be willing to bet it's your building/location. Anyone else near you have an LTE phone so you can compare?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
I'm having a fun (read I picked my phone up and threw it) problem with my Galaxy Nexus. Apparently the headphone jack is now hosed up and is randomly and incorrectly detecting when a headphone cable is plugged in. All I care about is using the thing to listen to music in my truck and now I can't use it for that purpose because it just randomly stops playback because it thinks the headphone cable has been removed. Is this a known hardware issue? What can I do to fix it?

And somehow my phone managed to survive being picked up and bashed against the center console in a fit of rage.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know why installing ICS on my Razr might have disabled my home button, and what I can do to fix it? The device has never been rooted.
edit: nvm, restoring it fixed the problem.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 28, 2012

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Unlimited data plan question:

Got my wife early upgraded to keep the plan on her phone; I'm still sporting a Bionic with unlimited also, but it's still tickin' like a Timex and I've had zero problems with it.

However, should I experience some sort of problem with it and receive a refurb or insurance replacement, does that kick me out of the unlimited option?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

However, should I experience some sort of problem with it and receive a refurb or insurance replacement, does that kick me out of the unlimited option?

No. Right now the only way you will be kicked off unlimited is to take a subsidized upgrade.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Went to my store today. Guy told me I only use on average 1-2 gigs max per month. So, I am going to the share everything plan tomorrow where my dad and I's bill will be $50-60/month cheaper. It's $70 for 4gb data, unlimited text/call. I guess if you aren't constantly streaming Netflix unlimited data is sort of unnecessary and if you are on a family plan share everything is honestly the way to go (and save money).

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

TenaciousTomato posted:

Went to my store today. Guy told me I only use on average 1-2 gigs max per month. So, I am going to the share everything plan tomorrow where my dad and I's bill will be $50-60/month cheaper. It's $70 for 4gb data, unlimited text/call.

Make sure you really do the math on that. It's only $70 for the data package, to add two smartphones would be an additional $80 bringing the total to $150.

Are you saying that you and your Dad currently have a $200+ monthly bill? I suspect you got incorrect information, and I wouldn't give up unlimited data if I had it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Right, $70 is only the service package (not just data, text and call minutes too), but there's a device charge as well. $40 per smartphone.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Make sure you really do the math on that. It's only $70 for the data package, to add two smartphones would be an additional $80 bringing the total to $150.

Are you saying that you and your Dad currently have a $200+ monthly bill? I suspect you got incorrect information, and I wouldn't give up unlimited data if I had it.

My dad has a dumb phone so it's $140/month and 20% off the $70 package because of his company. So ~$126. Current bill is $190, and I haven't given anything up yet.

Also, if he were ever to get a smartphone we would share 4gb and the bill would be only $136.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 28, 2012

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

EDIT: beaten multiple times, badly, disregard.

TenaciousTomato posted:

Went to my store today. Guy told me I only use on average 1-2 gigs max per month. So, I am going to the share everything plan tomorrow where my dad and I's bill will be $50-60/month cheaper. It's $70 for 4gb data, unlimited text/call. I guess if you aren't constantly streaming Netflix unlimited data is sort of unnecessary and if you are on a family plan share everything is honestly the way to go (and save money).
What? It's $70 for the data, plus $40 apiece for each phone. If it's just you and your dad, your poo poo's going to cost $150/month which is $75 + taxes/fees each. It's basically a horrible deal, the horribleness of which is further magnified by the fact that you're paying for text messaging (which was easy to skip before) even though Google Voice exists and Verizon has data coverage pretty much everywhere.

Also it's humorous that you're taking shots at people for "constantly streaming Netflix." If you're not a heavy data user who's going to put Verizon's data network to good use, there's no reason to be paying Verizon-level money for a cellphone!

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

How the gently caress is $126 per month a 'horrible deal' compared to $180 now? :psyduck: Also I wasn't taking a shot at anybody, just merely stating that average users who don't stream movies or music all day (but still enjoy fast internet for everything else) do not NEED unlimited data just to say they have it, when it's actually unnecessary.

Or I could still pay the same $126/mo. keeping my unlimited, but having to throttle our minutes back to 700 (which we may go over at some point) and keep the $20.00 ripoff text plan (what is this google voice for text you speak of)?

It's humorous you're saying because I don't use ~lots of gigs~ that I should leave the fastest 4G and best coverage provider. poo poo why is anyone on Verizon. I love watching movies on a 4 inch screen. No, not really. And if I want to download anything that's what my PC is for. The only thing I would ever keep unlimited for is tethering which I know nothing about as of right now.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 28, 2012

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
You have a smartphone, your Dad has a dumbphone, and your current plan is $180/month?

edit - Oh, you must be on the $120/mo unlimited family plan. Maybe you're one of the minority subscribers that the share everything plan actually works for? If that's the case, great, but the responses you're getting are because for the rest of us the share plans are pretty terrible.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 28, 2012

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
Verizon does not have good data coverage everywhere. Especially once you actually step foot inside some suburban homes or office buildings. Verizon level money is usually on par with the other big guy on the block and most people choose verizon because they don't like the other guy or they started with verizon and have no reason to bother with wanting to switch as once they do the math, it all costs about the same. Half the people paying for data just want to use GPS here and there, send pictures and video and check email, social network sites when you actually look at their usage.

TenaciousTomato posted:

My dad has a dumb phone so it's $140/month and 20% off the $70 package because of his company. So ~$126. Current bill is $190, and I haven't given anything up yet.

Also, if he were ever to get a smartphone we would share 4gb and the bill would be only $136.

The new plans are a lot cheaper for people who don't stream video and don't stream audio constantly. A fair amount of friends and family have asked me if they should upgrade now to lock in unlimited, and after looking over their actual usage, the majority of the people are saving a good 30-50$. Especially the old guys who bought a separate data only line to use to check their email on their laptops.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah I mean, if they take my unlimited plan away I'm either going Straight Talk, T-Mobile's $30/month 5GB plan, or Ting. I've had all four carriers at one point or another in the last 5 years, and with the exception of some of the highways I used to travel on in Colorado that T-Mobile didn't cover, none has had any real coverage issues that make Verizon worth the premium. Verizon is absolutely, 100% only worth it if you're packing unlimited LTE (and/or live in some weird market that only Verizon covers).

Any perceived "savings" under the new plans hinge on you being a low-volume data user and being gullible enough to have bought Verizon's excruciatingly lovely a la carte text messaging bundle before.

I guess I'd rather have 4GB of LTE than 4GB of Ev-DO or HSPA, but with that little usage it's barely worth the battery drain of a dual-radio phone.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

I pay $68.87/mo and have unlimited data. I use Google Voice exclusively for texting and making calls (send/receive) About 5 people have my actual Verizon number for mms (1k txts through verizon, and ive never used more than ~150) Granted I'm on an individual plan and get a 20% discount.

What I don't understand is, how so many people get roped into these death plans? Granted, not everyone has a cooperate discount, but I feel like many people on here seem to; some people are on family plans and have wives and kids etc, which can't really be helped. But it blows my mind that people still have no idea how to maximize the system to their benefit. Google voice for example, or other texting apps. Plan reductions/maximizations. So often I hear someone complain about money and how expensive their poo poo is. But they refuse to do something so simple as change a number. I get that x or y has had that number for 10 or so years... but if something so simple could save you 40 bucks a month? That's almost $2.5k in 5 years. I guess if money burning is your thing... but frankly I'm OK with keeping that loot firmly in my wallet.

And unfortunately, the window for that seems to have permanently shut about 2hours and 16minites ago EST. And frankly I have a hard time convincing people to hop on plans like straight talk or virgin mobile. Everyone wants to be on the big 4 and waste tons of money. Maybe I just slipped through the cracks, or perhaps I'm a knowledgeable consumer? Most people wouldn't drive off a car lot without a test drive and price comparisons or making multiple dealerships bid for their buck. I don't understand why something like this is any different.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It's not that bad a deal for most people, in fact many will be paying about the same or less per line than you do now without the "rigging" involved with Google Voice's crappy (in my experience) call quality and using multiple phone numbers.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It's not that bad a deal for most people, in fact many will be paying about the same or less per line than you do now without the "rigging" involved with Google Voice's crappy (in my experience) call quality and using multiple phone numbers.

Yeah, we're actually going to be able to upgrade all the lines to smartphones and still save a bit of money. I was the only one who could really justify paying the $30 a month for data but now we just pay for one big bucket and they can tap what little they need from it.

It's still a raw deal for a lot of people, especially if you go hog wild on data or at least think you do. If I was on my own I know I'd be looking really hard at Ting and whatnot right now.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

AlexDeGruven posted:

Since the RAZR family seems to have really good radio performance when compared to most of the other LTE phones on VZW, I'd be willing to bet it's your building/location. Anyone else near you have an LTE phone so you can compare?

My dbm was consistently in the 60s even when the data was dropping, but in the parking lot I got 13 down 8 up so I think it is in fact my building.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I'm on a big family plan with all smartphones where we use tons of minutes but not too much data. My dad has kept a separate T-Mobile unlimited minutes dumbphone line since it was cheaper than getting unlimited minutes on Verizon. With the shared data, we'll be able to comfortably live off a 2gb bucket, switch dad to an iPhone, keep the Verizon bill the same or slightly cheaper, and drop the extra T-Mobile line. If it was just me, I would fight to keep the unlimited, but it doesn't make sense when we would actually benefit from the voice minutes more than the extra data.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I mean, the handful of people with my vzw number have it saved under my contact info, so it's not really juggling multiple numbers...as for call quality, I'm confused? I don't use it from a desktop. I use the app from my phone. It just routes the number. Its exactly te same as placing a call normally.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The biggest missed opportunity with the shared plans is the botching of tablet data.

Right now, i pay $39.99 for minutes, $29.99 for data, and $4.99 for the texts that I need (not many). So, $74.97 before bullshit taxes and fees.

The LOWEST share everything plan is 1gb of data and $50 /month access with the $40 smartphone + $10 month tablet.

That rounds out to $100 /month for me to share my tablet with my phone's data AND go from unlimited to 1gb of data which simply isn't enough for two devices.

That's $25 /month more for much less. Meanwhile, I can do 1gb of prepaid tablet data for $20.

What disturbs me now is if you go to Verizon's site, individual plans ARE COMPLETELY GONE. I was not expecting this to be the case. This means that if you are a new customer and buy a smartphone, YOU CAN ONLY DO THESE SHARED DATA PLANS.

Verizon is forcing you to buy unlimited text and voice even if you don't want or need it. I have a friend that was going to go to verizon and really didn't care about the data cap, but there's no way in hell he's going to buy into unlimited talk and text because he uses neither.

To put it bluntly, entry level verizon smartphone service jumped about $25/month overnight.

The day that Verizon forces me off my $40 /month 250 peak minute plan is the day I leave them for good. I'm not paying for unlimited talk and text because I don't NEED it. Verizon is doing the same poo poo on their FIOS side to, the only new bundles they have force you to buy digital voice. I don't have a home phone and don't want a home phone.

Expect new smartphone activations to plummet this quarter. Verizon priced themselves right out of the game.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

bull3964 posted:

What disturbs me now is if you go to Verizon's site, individual plans ARE COMPLETELY GONE. I was not expecting this to be the case. This means that if you are a new customer and buy a smartphone, YOU CAN ONLY DO THESE SHARED DATA PLANS.

Hahah holy poo poo, could they have made their service any less attractive? How ridiculous.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Meldonox posted:

Hahah holy poo poo, could they have made their service any less attractive? How ridiculous.

I'm assuming they're going to do a big expansion on prepaid phone availability or something, I don't think they completely want to push away people with single lines who want high-end phones.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

deadwing posted:

I'm assuming they're going to do a big expansion on prepaid phone availability or something, I don't think they completely want to push away people with single lines who want high-end phones.

They're pushing away people with single lines who want phones to prepaid. Look at the basic phone selection. It's loving horrible and overpriced. The shared plan wouldn't be so bad for a single user if they still offered text plans.

$40 = 700 minutes, pay as you go text ($.20/text) and data.
$70 = Unlimited minutes, unlimited text, 300mb.

So your only option is unlimited texts for $30 or no plan, with 150 texts being $30. You're getting royally hosed there, I think.

For $50 a month you can get unlimited talk, text, web on VZW prepaid. Two unlimited plans are the same cost as an unlimited minutes shared plan for two phones, but with less data.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

I just checked this and if you actually go through the steps to create a new account, the individual plans are still there. It just seems like Verizon stopped advertising them on their site.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

bulbous nub posted:

I just checked this and if you actually go through the steps to create a new account, the individual plans are still there. It just seems like Verizon stopped advertising them on their site.

What phone did you select?

I noticed if you go through the pre-order process for a Galaxy S III, they still show individual plans. If you select an existing phone like a razr, the only choice they give you is the shared plans.

Regardless of whether or not they want to advertise them, you need to let people know they are still available as people are just going to pass over Verizon completely now.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

$127 per month with four gigs(two phones). Unless for some reason I'm homeless and don't need to be on LTE in the alley 24/7 looks like $65 a month ain't that bad :psyberger:

And I don't have to worry about buying and reselling a phone.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

bull3964 posted:

What phone did you select?

I noticed if you go through the pre-order process for a Galaxy S III, they still show individual plans. If you select an existing phone like a razr, the only choice they give you is the shared plans.

Regardless of whether or not they want to advertise them, you need to let people know they are still available as people are just going to pass over Verizon completely now.

The Pre-Order site is entirely different than the regular order site. I just think it's a case of the pre-order site not being updated yet. As far as I know, the only way you are getting a minute plan now is if you are an existing customer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ryokurin posted:

As far as I know, the only way you are getting a minute plan now is if you are an existing customer.

Which is completely rear end backwards. Minute usage is going DOWN as people use things like email and messaging (facebook, gtalk) to communicate.

I use about 240 minutes (peak AND non-peak) per month on my phone. I'm already overpaying by having to buy 450 peak minutes. I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to buy unlimited.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Which is completely rear end backwards. Minute usage is going DOWN as people use things like email and messaging (facebook, gtalk) to communicate.

I use about 240 minutes (peak AND non-peak) per month on my phone. I'm already overpaying by having to buy 450 peak minutes. I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to buy unlimited.

This is exactly why, though. People are overpaying out of the rear end for text messages, and nobody uses minutes, so service providers are trying to figure out how they can milk more money out of people. Data on every device is the future, and Verizon wants to be there to profit!

Related: I have an unlimited LTE plan right now and pay $30/mo for (unlimited) tethering. Is tethering still available to people on unlimited LTE plans post-changes? I'm grandfathered in, but it'd be nice to know if I can choose to shut it off for a month if I'm not using it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I'm on vacation for the next 5 days, totally not a coincidence I planned it to start the 28th. Just got my first call from a co-worker 'how else can I explain this without sounding like a total dickhead. I've already had two people verbally abuse me in an hour :smith:

Verizon really should have done a better job communicating to people who were eligible. Stuff a leaflet in the bill, send a text message or something. I had figured they'd give at least 60 days notice, but :telcos: :smithicide:

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 28, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They are probably forcing people onto unlimited minutes and texting because it doesn't really matter, that doesn't cost them as much and they already make plenty of money on it. The real money is in data, so they rape you for that. So it's easier to just not bother counting up everyone's minutes and texts when they know they are making money anyway, just worry about loving people on data.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just want to know why we aren't seeing headlines today like.

"Verizon new plans go into effect, rate increases as much as 30%."

Because that's the reality of the situation. They can spin it however they want that you are getting more "value" since you are getting unlimited minutes and text. But the reality of the situation is, they just hiked the price of 2gb of data smartphone service by 30%.

June 27th:
$39.99 450min/ulim night and weekends/pay as you text
$29.99 2gb data

$68.98 total.

June 28th:
$40 smartphone charge
$60 2gb data/unlim talk and text.

$100 total.

Craziness. The horrible part is, you know AT&T is going to do the same thing in a few months.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

They are probably forcing people onto unlimited minutes and texting because it doesn't really matter, that doesn't cost them as much and they already make plenty of money on it. The real money is in data, so they rape you for that. So it's easier to just not bother counting up everyone's minutes and texts when they know they are making money anyway, just worry about loving people on data.

I wouldn't be surprised if data/messaging is completely phased out within 2 years.

I'm also sure AT&T will have the same plans in place by the time the next iPhone is available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011
Quick and dumb question. I have an unlimited 3G smartphone on an old family plan as the primary line, the secondary line is a family member's dumb/feature phone with the 20 meg plan. We're out of contract now, and with the cluster-gently caress that is the new pricing plans I want to jump ship and switch to a cheaper prepaid service. The dumbphone user also has an AT&T iPhone, an AT&T iPad and a charming little iLife to go with it, but she can't port her current Verizon cellular number to that phone because... well, I don't know. The stars aren't aligned or some stupid AT&T reason. I should probably go ask in the AT&T thread about that part.

With the price drop of the GSM Nexus, I'd like to move ahead with my plan to switch but how is this going to affect the account as a whole? For the time being she wants to keep her Verizon phoneline for the number. But, when I put in a port request with the new company will my old cellular number go to the new phone and a temporary new number be put on my old phone to cancel at a later time? Will my Verizon phone line disappear entirely and the dumb phone will become the new primary line of the family plan automatically? Will we have to do a dance of choosing all new plans or something since that will only leave a single line on it?

We just started our new billing month, and I don't really mind paying the cash to keep my line active for now. I just want my drat number moved so I can put my phone in a drawer and cancel later on when we figure out what to do with the dumbphone number. Oh, and I guess I should mention that three different area code numbers are involved which is making it even more :suicide:

• Locked thread