Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh, and speaking of TV features unique to Europe, Microsoft forgot about the whole "TV is broadcast in 50 Hz there" thing so watching TV was a hot mess of stuttering and frame tearing. They "fixed" it by making it possible to sort-of force 50 Hz output except if you launch a game it reverts to 60 because games aren't designed to work with anything else and then you snap and the problem remains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
didn't they release a little TV hdmi stick too? anyone review that thing yet?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

univbee posted:

Oh, and speaking of TV features unique to Europe, Microsoft forgot about the whole "TV is broadcast in 50 Hz there" thing so watching TV was a hot mess of stuttering and frame tearing. They "fixed" it by making it possible to sort-of force 50 Hz output except if you launch a game it reverts to 60 because games aren't designed to work with anything else and then you snap and the problem remains.

lol Europe is so fail

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

wow i totally missed this. looks better than the google one.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
i think it only does miracast wifi streaming or whatever though. i dont think it has anything like netflix built in. haven't seen any reviews or real in depth look at it though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
what is it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

another dying gasp

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/wireless-display-adapter

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
LMAO on the specs page at the bottom:

"*Not compatible with Surface RT"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

are they gonna do win 10 for surface rts lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Last Chance posted:

are they gonna do win 10 for surface rts lol

Surfaces Pro run Windows RT, not Windows 8. it's different.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

Surfaces Pro run Windows RT, not Windows 8. it's different.

think different

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol if you think windows rt is anything other than dead and abandoned

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

univbee posted:

so beautiful

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

univbee posted:

the games work ok though, right?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

im afraid i have some bad news

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the xbone is like a perfect fractal of failure. every time you look at some aspect of it, you see a half-dozen hilarious fuckups, and when you zoom in on one of those you see another batch of inexplicably dumb decisions, and so on unto infinity

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

PleasureKevin posted:

OK, now i've only heard hilarious yet sad things about the Xbox One TV features since announcement

(Microsoft project manager dude) "I just don't get it! People were using our old xboxes for TV shows illegally since the xbox one, i mean, the original xbox! Right! That's why we named this new one the xbox one! It's so perfect why isnt it working!?? Why aren't people doing TV things with this like they did before!?? I just. dont. get it!!!!!"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sniep posted:

(Microsoft project manager dude) "I just don't get it! People were using our old xboxes for TV shows illegally since the xbox one, i mean, the original xbox! Right! That's why we named this new one the xbox one! It's so perfect why isnt it working!?? Why aren't people doing TV things with this like they did before!?? I just. dont. get it!!!!!"
*requests and gets $250 million to run a media campaign to promote xboxone tv*
*adoption rate remains unchanged*

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

FMguru posted:

*requests and gets $250 million to run a media campaign to promote xboxone tv*
*adoption rate remains unchanged*

"Money well spent, promotions all around!"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

mod sassinator posted:

"Money well spent, promotions all around!"

at least their mindshare seeds were planted and that's priceless!!!! right guys?!?!11

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FMguru posted:

the xbone is like a perfect fractal of failure. every time you look at some aspect of it, you see a half-dozen hilarious fuckups, and when you zoom in on one of those you see another batch of inexplicably dumb decisions, and so on unto infinity

fractal of xboners

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

fractal of xboners

holy poo poo mods!!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

It is amazing how futile attempting to look at a word document on windows phone is. no scaling, just word wraps like i've taken the document window and shrunk it to like 100 pixels wide (even though smartphone have had 720p+ displays since forever), formatting all hosed up, etc.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

univbee posted:

All they need to do is figure out how to send 50hz signal to 1/3rd of the screen.

No bigs.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

i hope he gets better soon

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Granbar posted:

literally getting angry irl

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Captain Foo posted:

holy poo poo mods!!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

A Yolo Wizard posted:

windows phone

lol

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

poo poo mods!!
same

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Main Paineframe posted:

windows 7 was the last decent ui microsoft did. it wasn't super great or anything, but I've been forced to use windows 8.1 lately and it's just so clunky and ugly by comparison. ballmer probably fired all the good ui people for disagreeing with metro

i used a windows 8 laptop on a trip to import photos and video from a camera and that import function in the photos app, uggghh.

you insert the sd card and the photos app swoops full screen and automatically selects the files you have not yet imported (this actually owns, i'll give them that) and then you click on "import" and then there is no progress information anywhere. no estimates on how long it will take, and it can take a pretty long time when you have some 10-gigabyte video on the card.

they made that new and improved copy dialog full of nerd info, but they can't make even an eta on the photo import function.

and of course anything involving network connections is a giant pain in the dick with settings in the sidebar, in the "pc settings" and in the control panel.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Surfaces Pro

this is too elegant for microsoft. when i asked branding about pluralization i was met with confusion and told to do "Surface Pro devices" instead of "Surfaces Pro"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

and of course anything involving network connections is a giant pain in the dick with settings in the sidebar, in the "pc settings" and in the control panel.

the sidebar is also completely, uh, ephemeral(?)

like when i try to connect to the university's network, it will as for credentials in a pretty basic username and password dialog within the sidebar. i type in my username and then go to keepass to copy my password and when i reopen the sidebar, it will just say "unable to connect to this network" or something. and then i have to go to pc settings to "forget" the network before i can try again.

and then i have to copy the password before i open the connection dialog, then type my username and then paste my password immediately for the connection to succeed.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
i had to use a windows 8 tablet for a bit, and in the desktop mode the on-screen keyboard never, ever pops up automatically even if you're in a text entry field. you have to hit the keyboard button in the taskbar every time you want to type something. also, bringing up the on-screen keyboard actually moves/squishes your windows out of the way rather than just coming up on top of them, and doesn't put them back where they were after you dismiss it (which can't be done by hitting the keyboard button again)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

something about that is just so emblematic of microsoft

like, every modern feature must have at least one aspect sacrificed at the altar of backwards compatibility

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
oh yeah, and the win8 on-screen keyboard is NOT the same as the accessibility tools on-screen keyboard, which still exists completely independently and you can have both of them open at the same time

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Main Paineframe posted:

oh yeah, and the win8 on-screen keyboard is NOT the same as the accessibility tools on-screen keyboard, which still exists completely independently and you can have both of them open at the same time

lmfao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Main Paineframe posted:

i had to use a windows 8 tablet for a bit, and in the desktop mode the on-screen keyboard never, ever pops up automatically even if you're in a text entry field. you have to hit the keyboard button in the taskbar every time you want to type something. also, bringing up the on-screen keyboard actually moves/squishes your windows out of the way rather than just coming up on top of them, and doesn't put them back where they were after you dismiss it (which can't be done by hitting the keyboard button again)

it does sometimes for me (using splashtop) but only in certain apps. chrome is one, ie 11 is not

but yeah it squishes your app and doesnt resize it back when it goes away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Main Paineframe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0

• Locked thread