Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
the gently caress kind of ring is this?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dre...2851609532.html

You bet your rear end I applied for this freebie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

I had my first bad AE experience. :( I'd ordered a silicone clip with a magnet closure for my Fitbit One. The description clearly said it was for a Fitbit One, but it's about a quarter-inch too short: my Fitbit doesn't fit, not a bit (:haw:) Being silicone, you'd think it would stretch, but there's a plug of hard plastic in at least one end that prevents that.

I did acknowledge that it had arrived; it came while I was away, so that was all I could do. Now that I see it's either faulty or had a very bad description and/or photo, should I bother doing anything about it--giving poor ratings for accuracy/quality or asking for a refund? It cost me less than $2, and I doubt any other similar One clip on AE will fit any better (they all look exactly the same).

i will say (semi-related for anyone who cares) i order my fitbit bands from china off ebay instead of aliexpress and i've had better luck there, and they've been less 'expensive' i.e. it's $1.50 per band instead of $3+ for the same drat band. mine have also arrived in the time frame ebay provides which was nice.

open a dispute if you feel up to it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bummey posted:

the gently caress kind of ring is this?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dre...2851609532.html

You bet your rear end I applied for this freebie

Reminds me of overturned mushrooms. Not sure why you'd make a ring that looks like overturned mushrooms, but it sure exists.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Reminds me of puckered anuses, which isn't what I'd wear but you be you.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Snoo posted:

i will say (semi-related for anyone who cares) i order my fitbit bands from china off ebay instead of aliexpress and i've had better luck there, and they've been less 'expensive' i.e. it's $1.50 per band instead of $3+ for the same drat band. mine have also arrived in the time frame ebay provides which was nice.
I did a quick search for a magnetic One clip on eBay; they're going for $7 apiece. drat! I mean, these clips might actually fit, but still.

The shipping time is another thing to consider for sure. This thing took forever to arrive and was poo poo when it did show up. Phooey.

I mostly want to leave a review for other potential buyers; I do read reviews of assorted AE poo poo and steer clear if something looks dicey. I have time to sleep on it a little.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 8, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hirayuki posted:

I did a quick search for a magnetic One clip on eBay; they're going for $7 apiece. drat! I mean, these clips might actually fit, but still.

The shipping time is another thing to consider for sure. This thing took forever to arrive and was poo poo when it did show up. Phooey.

I mostly want to leave a review for other potential buyers; I do read reviews of assorted AE poo poo and steer clear if something looks dicey. I have time to sleep on it a little.

I'm a coward, so I've left 4 star reviews where the text spells out the problem. 4 star review doesn't hurt the store the way a negative rating does, but cautious buyers still get a heads up.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Question, German customs requires the sender to attach an invoice to the outside of a parcel so they can look at it and judge whether you have to pay taxes on the purchase. If they don't it gets stuck at customs.
Do the sellers actually do that? My guess is no...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some do... with varying degree of accuracy. It can be an actual list of the items you bought, approximate categories like "electronics" or complete nonsense, with either real or 0.99$ prices.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I've never had issues with the customs declarations being included. The descriptions are mostly random, but they are there. A few times I've had the great description of "drugs" on parcels that did not contain drugs. Thankfully customs did not care. The price often just says "gift" or some low amount.

If an item isn't perfect I will complain to the seller, they've always sorted it out for me. Even on $1 items.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I guess part of my hesitancy to complain is of my 11 disputes, 2 of them ended up with refunds for items that DID eventually show up, and that makes me feel bad in my heart :smith:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You can just remunerate them in PayPal.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
then I have to use paypal

anyway, where gifts are concerned, most people know nerds

get this titanium spork (ha ha... spork... get it...) for $2.10.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

I guess part of my hesitancy to complain is of my 11 disputes, 2 of them ended up with refunds for items that DID eventually show up, and that makes me feel bad in my heart :smith:

The Chinese always aim to please. And with the kind of exposure and advertisement you're giving them in this thread, you've probably more than made up for the refunds.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Salty Josh posted:

The Chinese always aim to please. And with the kind of exposure and advertisement you're giving them in this thread, you've probably more than made up for the refunds.

yeah I wonder if the Aliexpress sellers know there's an entire community of Westerners out there talking about how aliexpress rocks but also saying they feel bad if the sellers ever get ripped off :gbsmith:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Pick posted:

Analog sporks are so last year. Have to get yourself a digital one.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
One little trick I have seen them do is to accept the order, mark it as 'shipped' then a couple of days later, cancel the shipment
It will still show as shipped and they will keep the money.

You have to raise a manual dispute and then you will get your money back, but it's not automatic.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

Ah a reference to the famous star trek line beam me up sporky, good poo poo

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

yeah I wonder if the Aliexpress sellers know there's an entire community of Westerners out there talking about how aliexpress rocks but also saying they feel bad if the sellers ever get ripped off :gbsmith:

Probably not, just back to their ramen noodle dinner and 2x5 cot.

Living the dream. I honestly think that there will be a social uprising before the Chinese run out of resources.

Losing a few bucks means nothing when the cost of labor and material is so cheap.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The fun part about the upcoming civil war is just how many firearms will appear out of the converted factories. Being a world leader in manufacturing has its bad sides.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Nap Ghost

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

The fun part about the upcoming civil war is just how many firearms will appear out of the converted factories. Being a world leader in manufacturing has its bad sides.

I'm looking forward to the Chinese revolution.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I realized that they had sent me a clip for an entirely different model of Fitbit, which they also sell. I ended up writing the seller explaining what happened, including a photo of my incorrect product, and asking what to do next. We shall see!

I like the idea of giving a four-star rating with a detailed review, though. I'll remember that tactic.

Meanwhile, I finally broke down and bought eight strawberry bags, one in each color, and a few of those splat pigs for my son and his friends (I didn't want to support the illegal street vendors we'd seen selling them). Also a nifty clip-hanger thing for travel. I'll edit in links and photos once I'm back at my computer.

eta:

1 Pcs Cute Anti Stress Decompression Splat Ball Vent Toy Venting Ball Sticky Smash Water Ball Anti stress Goods Pig Toys

Travel Portable Cloth Hanger Rack Printing Hanging Racks With 6 Clips for Towel Sock Underwear Drying Holder Bathroom Accessorie

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 8, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jesus gently caress your poo poo was already made by literal slaves we're all already going to hell just dispute everything if it isn't right and leave bad reviews for bad products it's not that hard.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

"Hundreds die in a sandwich press" is a sentence that should not be allowed outside of a J.G. Ballard novel.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Jerry Cotton posted:

Jesus gently caress your poo poo was already made by literal slaves we're all already going to hell just dispute everything if it isn't right and leave bad reviews for bad products it's not that hard.

This is bad logic

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Me, a literal imbecile: If someone sends you a faulty product, you should complain.
Giant-brained goons, very smart: No; keep it, pay for it, and leave a four-star review. You idiot. You dumb mother fucker. You piece of poo poo.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I'm going around throwing out 1 star reviews to act as a counter measure to this lunacy

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Me, a literal imbecile: If someone sends you a faulty product, you should complain.
Giant-brained goons, very smart: No; keep it, pay for it, and leave a four-star review. You idiot. You dumb mother fucker. You piece of poo poo.

You're a real ali martyr here

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The reason people don't post bad reviews isn't compassion, it's concern that the sellers will put them on blast including their full names and addresses, because that's a thing that happens.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Anne Whateley posted:

The reason people don't post bad reviews isn't compassion, it's concern that the sellers will put them on blast including their full names and addresses, because that's a thing that happens.

This is also true. But also I feel bad if they get blacklisted just because my garbage I forget I even ordered doesn't show up quickly.

I mostly shop on Ali for that "retail therapy" feeling without spending that much money, and then polyrope and glow-in-the-dark pigments show up in my mailbox

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

Has this ever happened to anyone here

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
No because as this conversation has shown, we were warned and we don't post bad reviews. The sellers do have a site for that though

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Is that a real fear you have? Lol

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I thought it did happen to my pale goth skin (?) earlier in the thread?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

heeheex2 posted:

Is that a real fear you have? Lol

I have an anxiety disorder and fear everything, lol. Not posting though. SA should be murder on social anxiety, but somehow it isn't. :justpost:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I have had my full name posted in a reply to a five-star review; luckily it doesn't show up when you google my name, and even if it did, it was a mostly harmless purchase. Still, wasn't pleased about it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Has anyone ever bought one of those super realistic doll heads of a celebrity that your put on the bodies and then buy them clothes and guns and stuff? Because they look hilarious and I want a buff Patrick Stewart

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Looks like they watched Sausage Party.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ruh roh: GOP Senator moves to close shipping loophole that helps Chinese businesses on Amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Like all the poo poo I get from ali is epacket so it shouldn't be affected given that last line