Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DrNutt posted:

This is the most hosed up thing I've read in this whole thread.

at least it's not Enterprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
^lol

Well at least they're not re-watching Deep Space 9?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

DrNutt posted:

This is the most hosed up thing I've read in this whole thread.

Year of Hell was p. cool, but they shouldn't have fixed it, the ship should have been beaten to poo poo the entire time. Voyager had some great episodes, its just that the bad overwhelms everything with it's horrendous poo poo.

DS9 Dominion War kicks loving rear end. Only a Paper Moon is off the charts badass.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

My spouse and I decided to watch all the Star Trek in order. It's been real hard now that we ran out of DS9, and I know things are only going to get worse...

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mercury_Storm posted:

^lol

I will cut you.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DS9 rocks.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Mercury_Storm posted:

^lol

Thems fightin words.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml4wAnvfM4M

:munch:

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

moths posted:

I'm re-watching Voyager, and Tim Russ seems to be doing a bad Obama impression the whole time. Maybe that's just how people talk on Vulcan.

Reminder that you can thank Jeri Ryan for the rise of Obama.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dabir posted:

DS9 rocks.

Yeah, I love watching a war criminal and godling answerable to no one betray everything respectable about the federation because trek wasn't "gritty and extreme" enough for the nineties.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Macys posted:

Yeah, I love watching a war criminal and godling answerable to no one betray everything respectable about the federation because trek wasn't "gritty and extreme" enough for the nineties.

But enough about Janeway.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
The incredibly racist jew aliens were also a very good inclusion into the series.

WHoops did I say good? Because I meant very bad.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

Hey man I don't know about you, but if I ever get set up as space Jesus to a species living in a strategically important part of space I'd be warcriming all over space.

Ran Mad Dog posted:

The incredibly racist jew aliens were also a very good inclusion into the series.

Dukat was right.

Technical Analysis fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 10, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

bango skank posted:

But enough about Janeway.

She kept Voyager safe. :colbert:

Serious reply: She didn't commit treason by disobeying general orders and directives, like Sisko. Yeah, she hosed herself and her crew, but she hosed them by the book.

Galactic North
Nov 21, 2009

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Yeah, seriously whose idea was it to include the Ferengi and why oh god did they make their portrayal as such. Like I get they were originally conceived to be a social commentary on American culture...but why did they make them some cross between ridiculously antisemtic cartoons and oompah loompahs.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

Serious reply: She didn't commit treason by disobeying general orders and directives, like Sisko. Yeah, she hosed herself and her crew, but she hosed them by the book.

Bullshit. Janeway violated the Prime Directive more times than Donald Trump has failed businesses.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mister Macys posted:

I feel like maybe you didn't watch either series if this is your conclusion?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Inside Edition just posted an interview with the Trump sucker puncher where he says he's proud of what he did because you just can't know if the guy was an ISIS or not, and that the next time "we" see him we might have to kill him.

Thanks again, Don.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Inside Edition just posted an interview with the Trump sucker puncher where he says he's proud of what he did because you just can't know if the guy was an ISIS or not, and that the next time "we" see him we might have to kill him.

Thanks again, Don.

Jesus Christ. Someone seriously needs to put the brakes on these people or someone really will die. That's not hyperbole. There are no boundaries for the White and Angry.

EDIT: it's worse than that even: http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/15177-trump-supporter-who-punched-protester-next-time-we-might-have-to-kill-him

quote:

When asked if he liked the rally, he said: “You bet I liked it. Knocking the hell out of that big mouth.”

And when asked why he punched the protester, he said: "Number one, we don’t know if he’s ISIS. We don’t know who he is, but we know he’s not acting like an American, cussing me... If he wants it laid out, I laid it out."

He added: “Yes, he deserved it. The next time we see him, we might have to kill him. We don’t know who he is. He might be with a terrorist organization.”

Levantine fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 10, 2016

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

In one of the videos you can see 3-4 cops surround the black guy after he was punched & put him on the ground and grab his arms, presumably while the Trump yahoo was being interviewed by Inside Edition. This loving racist rear end country.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

beatlegs posted:

In one of the videos you can see 3-4 cops surround the black guy after he was punched & put him on the ground and grab his arms, presumably while the Trump yahoo was being interviewed by Inside Edition. This loving racist rear end country.

They're being investigated over that. Not that it invalidates anything you said or the disgusting displays going on at every trump rally where cops are acting like loving brownshirts dragging people out for often not much more than being on the wrong end of racial hatred.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

beatlegs posted:

And the cops are like "uh, we don't know exactly what happened when our officers magically appeared on top of the victim, if you've seen a dastardly wizard please contact us. Walking upstairs is complicated and things just kinda happen so quickly that you can't see exactly what's going on when you are moving in three dimensions simultaneously. Just once again, we don't see any wrong doing with what we did even though we don't exactly know what we did, thank you."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Levantine posted:

I feel like maybe you didn't watch either series if this is your conclusion?

Watched them both, hated them for different reasons. But Sisko is a literal was criminal and traitor worse than Oliver North.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mister Macys posted:

Watched them both, hated them for different reasons. But Sisko is a literal was criminal and traitor worse than Oliver North.

I think this is entirely hyperbolic but if you feel that way about Sisko I'm not sure how you didn't come to the same conclusion about Janeway. She straight up tortured folks and confined people to quarters for going "hey um, maybe that's wrong?". Either way, probably not the best place for Trek discussion when there are actual real life villains to criticize right now.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

If I hear one more cable news pundit describe Trump supporters' "frustration" or "anger at the status quo" as the reason for all this ugly behavior I'm gonna explode.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
It's starting to feel like a middle school classroom where the adults have been absent for a few hours. They just keep testing the boundaries and pushing further and further but because we as a society tolerate this bullshit "truth in the middle" fallacy, they get away with it. No matter how abhorrent the ideal, we have to "allow for it". I'm really fighting my disgust today, but I'll be damned if I know who needs to do what or how to start to resolve it. Maybe the media could take some responsibility and shame these people but nobody wants to lose access.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Levantine posted:

Jesus Christ. Someone seriously needs to put the brakes on these people or someone really will die. That's not hyperbole. There are no boundaries for the White and Angry.

EDIT: it's worse than that even: http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/15177-trump-supporter-who-punched-protester-next-time-we-might-have-to-kill-him

I see conservatives have taken preemptive attacks from the nation/state level to the personal level.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Levantine posted:

Its statements like this that make me wonder if someone is going to walk into a trump rally carrying a gun. Question is if they'll be defending themselves from a white rear end in a top hat or from the guy next to them who doesn't look very American to him. Could be ISIS for all they know.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Levantine posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Trump rallies are just hate groups with good publicity. The fact that the media is so gutless as to legitimize such blatant racism for fear of pissing off ranting white people is what angers me the most about matters involving the GOP.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
We don't know if that guy is a member of a white nationalist terrorist organization.

Better put 2 in the back of his skull, just to be safe.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think the power and horror of Trump, while no joke, is being over represented and not just in the oft stated "media gets ratings from him" way.

The gop primary takes place in an almost literal gop alternate universe. And when any news outlet covers it, more often than not they are operating within this universe. The gop and their voters don't care much for fact checking, so they don't do as much of it. Same goes for follow ups, giving appropriate weight to outrageous claims, etc. Why waste time covering the myriad gently caress ups when no voters or candidates care that much.

In this alternate universe trump is king, the threat of taking away access matters because he is the draw. The threat of going too hard on him risks alienating some of the most fervent consumers of trump news. And the risk in failing to cover him comprehensively isn't that big. This isn't the big game yet and the last 3 gop primaries (at least) have been silly affairs.

The other candidates can't go hard on him or talk about the truly disgusting parts of his campaign because they know there are (or were) their own people. You can't talk too honestly ablut his wall, or his hate for islam, or his gently caress EVERYTHING policies because its not a meme or a joke that their platforms and voters are basically the same.

All these things change when it becomes a real contest. Hillary and Bernie aren't lightweights, they aren't beholden to the sickness powering trump, they won't be under him on the polls.

It looks bad, but that's because he's destroying a party that teed themselves up for years for exactly this, the people who could defend them are poo poo candidates who kinda agree with him, and the media doesn't really care if the gop kills itself.

I'm not making a stump trump prediction, but I think so many things change when this becomes a general race, that you shouldnt feel hopeless and despair in the face of this poo poo just yet. Godzilla wrecked his containment facility but he hasn't wrecked japan yet. And japan is much much much better equipped to deal with him.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Well it's one thing when a candidate or party implodes, it's another when people are openly & actively encouraged to hate others by a party frontrunner and the newsmedia refuses to call it out. Trump seems to be conjuring the ugliness out of people that had long been hibernating and the more he enables it the more increasingly dangerous it could become. If one person dies because of this poo poo it's one too many.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
This is also not to say I expect the media to do a good job covering the 2016 election with trump in it, but there's a lot more pressure to do it better in the general. Right now you're pressured to do better than daily caller, blaze and breitbart and If you meet that standard then gently caress it, print it.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Asked if the incident cast an unfavorable light on how the sheriff’s office handled security at the Trump event, Sgt. Swain said, “We’ve been the bad guys since Ferguson. We’re fighting an uphill battle for the public’s perception.”

He said the sheriff’s office had a good reputation in the area.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
But again, I think a big reason these rallies aren't getting the full throated rejection they deserve is because they're playing out in an arena where people obviously don't care that much about looking like nazi's or stomping protestors. The main people who care about this race from the bottom all the way up to mitt romney or so, are looking and saying "eh well that's bad but (nebulous reason why an obvious display of evil isn't that bad)" and moving on. And at some point the media has to say "this is their game, they said that's not against the rules and they're moving on, this is poo poo, but I have to also move on and cover this".

My overall point is, when Dem eyes are on the news, and people in the game care about things like "not being actual nazis" and "not being violent in your politics" and WANT people held accountable, its a lot more likely to happen.

Republicans are poo poo, their contest is poo poo, their candidate is poo poo, their voters are poo poo, their leadership is poo poo, and they're reaping it so fast we can barely keep up. Luckily they aren't representative of the whole country, and hopefully we will prove it soon.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Good reputation among which subset of the population?

It's pretty much common knowledge that the worst offenders in any department are a handful of guys with dozens of offenses, who only escape punishment by hiding behind the blue line. I bet the worst of the worst absolutely queue up to work security for Trump

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
gently caress these police. Yes you are the bad guys in ferguson and you're the bad guys taking down someone who was just assaulted while the perp laughs. Get it through your loving skull before we toss you out on your rear end.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Burned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3scctsGFng

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

A mean, petty part of me wanted that dude to turn to the Drumpf sycophant and say "Shhh...Adults are talking."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think the power and horror of Trump, while no joke, is being over represented and not just in the oft stated "media gets ratings from him" way.

The gop primary takes place in an almost literal gop alternate universe. And when any news outlet covers it, more often than not they are operating within this universe. The gop and their voters don't care much for fact checking, so they don't do as much of it. Same goes for follow ups, giving appropriate weight to outrageous claims, etc. Why waste time covering the myriad gently caress ups when no voters or candidates care that much.

In this alternate universe trump is king, the threat of taking away access matters because he is the draw. The threat of going too hard on him risks alienating some of the most fervent consumers of trump news. And the risk in failing to cover him comprehensively isn't that big. This isn't the big game yet and the last 3 gop primaries (at least) have been silly affairs.

The other candidates can't go hard on him or talk about the truly disgusting parts of his campaign because they know there are (or were) their own people. You can't talk too honestly ablut his wall, or his hate for islam, or his gently caress EVERYTHING policies because its not a meme or a joke that their platforms and voters are basically the same.

All these things change when it becomes a real contest. Hillary and Bernie aren't lightweights, they aren't beholden to the sickness powering trump, they won't be under him on the polls.

It looks bad, but that's because he's destroying a party that teed themselves up for years for exactly this, the people who could defend them are poo poo candidates who kinda agree with him, and the media doesn't really care if the gop kills itself.

I'm not making a stump trump prediction, but I think so many things change when this becomes a general race, that you shouldnt feel hopeless and despair in the face of this poo poo just yet. Godzilla wrecked his containment facility but he hasn't wrecked japan yet. And japan is much much much better equipped to deal with him.

I keep telling this to other people and also repeating it to myself. I don't want to deny 100% that Trump could become president, because who the hell knows in this loving election. But it's poo poo like what you said that keeps me reminding myself I don't have a reason to panic just yet.

I mean, I do have reason to be really loving concerned about the massive proportion of violent racists in our country, but at least I can tell myself that's just what's been there the whole time. They're just getting riled up now because they feel threatened by social progress.