Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
if you have an animal you can't take care of, send it to me

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

InvisibleMonkey posted:

don't make rash choices about living things pls

yeah, i told my dad I was thinking about getting a dog and his immediate response was, you wanna go?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I dont really see how a dog is any different than a steak or bag of shrimp at the end of the day....maybe because theyre 'cute'

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

poopkitty posted:

Totally agree. (But my impulse kitty is okay, now. After a year of torture. And wallet draining.)

kuno (family cat) was like that too, ended up being an extremely expensive free cat

he's the best though

Globo-Hitler III posted:

globo hitler will slaughter your pets, free of charge

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
My family has always had dogs, I know how to take care of a dog, I just can't tell if I really shouldn't have taken on this responsibility right now or if this is just my natural impulse to run and hide at the slightest resistance

Globo-Hitler III posted:

hitler you are a monster

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
dogs seem like a bigger responsibility than cats though. I feel like cats are fine with treating their human purely as a provider of food, but dogs need to be walked, sticks need to be thrown, and they are generally more needy.

but yeah, if you're gonna be responsible for a living thing like a human baby or a puppy, best to sleep on it first

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

hitler you are a monster

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

InvisibleMonkey posted:

dogs seem like a bigger responsibility than cats though. I feel like cats are fine with treating their human purely as a provider of food, but dogs need to be walked, sticks need to be thrown, and they are generally more needy.

but yeah, if you're gonna be responsible for a living thing like a human baby or a puppy, best to sleep on it first

Do not sleep on your baby. You'll get a backache.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

You shouldn't eat dogs

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

InvisibleMonkey posted:

not the primitives

i mean, you walk them, but after that they're cats in dogbodies

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Corn Thongs posted:

You shouldn't eat dogs

wikipe tama posted:

indeterminate dog zones

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Fetus Tree posted:

I dont really see how a dog is any different than a steak or bag of shrimp at the end of the day....maybe because theyre 'cute'

cows are kind of dumb-cute. we put animals in different categories, not just based on cuteness. I bet cows aren't very good pets, they don't know how to fetch and they take up a lot of space. they are, however, delicious.

poopkitty posted:

Do not sleep on your baby. You'll get a backache.

on the other hand, your responsibility-levels drop significantly

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
this dog is too young for walks and doesn't understand fetch yet

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Globo-Hitler III posted:

Do you take children?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Corn Thongs posted:

You shouldn't eat dogs
a hot dog is ok every now and then

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

What kind of doge is it? How old?

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Hello lady thread

Goodnight lady thread.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
some animals are in both the 'delicious' & 'cute' categories, like kangaroos

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

BattleCake posted:

Hello lady thread

http://i.imgur.com/VkW4QOll.jpg

Goodnight lady thread.

Cute scarf

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

boom boom boom posted:

this dog is too young for walks and doesn't understand fetch yet

If you've reached a point in your life where your career/life is stable enough and you can give the doge plenty of time during the day then you should go for it.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

InvisibleMonkey posted:

some animals are in both the 'delicious' & 'cute' categories, like kangaroos

Kangaroos are in the 'delicious' & 'buff' category.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
dog regrets

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Shithouse Dave posted:

What kind of doge is it? How old?

chocolate lab mix. less than three months

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
at no point in my post did i imply i would kill your pets, though i would if you asked me to. a knife to the jugular is a surprisingly un-upsetting way to go, though breaking their necks would be more humane because that is instant

i already have a small army of (fixed) cats for vermin control but i still have a mouse problem so I would take more if they weren't weak little bitches afraid of large rats

i would take another dog too if it was friendly but also badass enough to fight coyotes

Isadore kills raccoons and possums and runs off strange dogs that would chase the sheep otherwise but is not up to running off coyotes, though i do not hold this against her

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

BattleCake posted:

Hello lady thread

Goodnight lady thread.

oh my god :h:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Globo-Hitler III posted:

at no point in my post did i imply i would kill your pets, though i would if you asked me to. a knife to the jugular is a surprisingly un-upsetting way to go, though breaking their necks would be more humane because that is instant

i already have a small army of (fixed) cats for vermin control but i still have a mouse problem so I would take more if they weren't weak little bitches afraid of large rats

i would take another dog too if it was friendly but also badass enough to fight coyotes

Isadore kills raccoons and possums and runs off strange dogs that would chase the sheep otherwise but is not up to running off coyotes, though i do not hold this against her

Them Coyotes get big.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

BattleCake posted:

Hello lady thread

Goodnight lady thread.

good orb

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I once had to kill a goldfish because he was all bulgey and couldn't swim right anymore. turns out there is a lot of conflicting information about humane goldfish euthanasia online

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I put him in a little container with baking soda mixed in the water which was supposed to deprive it of oxygen until it just lost consciousness, then we put on Beyonce's Heaven Couldn't Wait for You to set the mood but it took hella long and everyone involved became very anxious

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
RIP Gunther

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Globo-Hitler III posted:

I don't trust you. in three months you'll be all, awolf pack came onto the property, I didn't do anything becaue it's important to breed out the traits that let animals get eaten by wolves

InvisibleMonkey posted:

I once had to kill a goldfish because he was all bulgey and couldn't swim right anymore. turns out there is a lot of conflicting information about humane goldfish euthanasia online

let it go in a pond

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

boom boom boom posted:

I don't trust you. in three months you'll be all, awolf pack came onto the property, I didn't do anything becaue it's important to breed out the traits that let animals get eaten by wolves

let it go in a pond

there aren't any wolves in indiana though

but yes i have a weird double standard when it comes to predators

coyotes don't threaten the cattle at all, and the rams do a good job of running coyotes the gently caress off, in fact i've never lost a sheep to predation, the main danger is that a strange dog will chase a ewe until it (the ewe) dies of a heart attack

i still will kill the gently caress out of any coyote i see though

edit: i have a double standard because i am admittedly kind of stupid in general

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

boom boom boom posted:

let it go in a pond

it would go into shock from the water temp and that doesn't sound like a super nice way to go. these weren't even my goldfish, they were from our former housemates. I gave them back after the tank cracked (no goldfish were harmed but it was scary) and we had to kill Gunther, too much responsibility.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

InvisibleMonkey posted:

it would go into shock from the water temp and that doesn't sound like a super nice way to go. these weren't even my goldfish, they were from our former housemates. I gave them back after the tank cracked (no goldfish were harmed but it was scary) and we had to kill Gunther, too much responsibility.

why didn't you just take it out of the water and hit it with a hammer?

fish would not have felt a drat thing

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Globo-Hitler III posted:

why didn't you just take it out of the water and hit it with a hammer?

fish would not have felt a drat thing

I was afraid it would explode because it seemed like it had that thing where the internal organs kept growing, but the fish didn't? I was prepared to cut its little head off if the inoffensive method didn't work, buuuut my old housemate was there and I didn't want to upset him.

e: let it be known that my boyfriend was shaking his head during all of this, I just wanted to give Gunther a good send-off.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I am going home now, with an armload of binders and a headache. It is Friday night and I had planned to party. It is also 2 hours after quitting time. :smith:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

InvisibleMonkey posted:

when my parents had a koi pond when the koi got too big we'd let them go in a pond and they did just fine,.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

poopkitty posted:

I am going home now, with an armload of binders and a headache. It is Friday night and I had planned to party. It is also 2 hours after quitting time. :smith:

be the change poopkitty

TAKE what you WANT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

poopkitty posted:

I bet you actually accomplished something today, though. :love:

boom boom boom posted:

when my parents had a koi pond when the koi got too big we'd let them go in a pond and they did just fine,.

those are different fish and I think we live in a different climate

• Locked thread