Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The mystic art for magic is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

MMF Freeway posted:

Whichever one of you that is getting summoned has to have beaten the mission they are being summoned to.

Me and Snak ran poo poo that I had never done for a few hours

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I made it up to the first boss (the demon you fight on the ship), but I haven't been able to beat him yet. I managed to damage him enough to get him into his second form, but I usually can't last much longer after that point.

I was curious as to whether or not the weapon you use makes things easier or harder. I find that I really like using dual swords, and so far they made for my best attempt, as I can dodge towards him while in low stance, get a couple hit in once he finishes doing his spin attack, and dash out of his range.

The two strongest weapons I have are a single-sword and an axe, but the axe doesn't seem really viable, even in low stance. I thought maybe the spear would work better, since it has a longer reach. I have one of every weapon at this point, and the only one I don't have any familiarity with is the kusarigama. I thought about maybe running around the village a bit more to gain some levels and find the rest of the kodama, but I don't know how much difference that will make.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Max Wilco posted:

I made it up to the first boss (the demon you fight on the ship), but I haven't been able to beat him yet. I managed to damage him enough to get him into his second form, but I usually can't last much longer after that point.

I was curious as to whether or not the weapon you use makes things easier or harder. I find that I really like using dual swords, and so far they made for my best attempt, as I can dodge towards him while in low stance, get a couple hit in once he finishes doing his spin attack, and dash out of his range.

The two strongest weapons I have are a single-sword and an axe, but the axe doesn't seem really viable, even in low stance. I thought maybe the spear would work better, since it has a longer reach. I have one of every weapon at this point, and the only one I don't have any familiarity with is the kusarigama. I thought about maybe running around the village a bit more to gain some levels and find the rest of the kodama, but I don't know how much difference that will make.

Any weapon can work, whichever you're most comfortable with. Axe is nice since it's a hit-and-run fight - just be sure to leave enough Ki to evade or sprint after the combo. Skill-wise I recommend the Heaven -> Water skills that auto-pulse when you evade.

Really the keys are -

1) Learn his few attacks, and always leave enough space and Ki to evade or sprint.
2) After he finishes an attack, hit him in the back 2-3 times then get out. Don't get greedy.
3) Avoiding the iron balls is easy - either sprint in a straight line to the left/right or evade to the left/right just before impact.
4) If you're having issues with space, destroy the boxes around the edge of the room.

You probably don't have enough Ki and Toughness to block, so it's an evasion fight.

And if all else fails, open the back entrance and use the nearby shrine to summon a companion. Beat up phantoms (the red katana graves) if you need bowls.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
And, just because if you're not already familiar with the game it isn't obvious visually, you can totally block the balls when he does the big spin move. It's weird coming from FROM games, but all weapons in Nioh block 100% physical damage all the time, the only penalty is to your ki.

Once you learn his various wind-ups and tells it's pretty easy to just walk around him in a circle, dodge behind him when he attacks and smack him a few times, then back off and get your ki back.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

Me and Snak ran poo poo that I had never done for a few hours

We were doing random encounters, not yokai realm with companion. We should do some companion, though. It means we don't lose automatically when you walk off a cliff :P. (Yes, I saved that video)

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I wish revanents gave you a lot more glory and less of a guaranteed gear drop from them, or a random drop

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

God damnit the level gaps are starting to piss me off. So I'm level 80, next mission is 84? Ok, I do that and gain one level from it, next one is 87? And then 91? I know even +5 level missions are not that hard, but it's annoying

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Levels are meaningless. I was 50 levels under the whole final area.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Yeah it seems so, it's just confusing when until 80ish the player and mission levels were mostly even

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
What does Glory do?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

BoyBlunder posted:

What does Glory do?

Once you beat the first main mission in the third area clan battles unlocks. You can use glory to buy stuff like new gestures or skins.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hackan Slash posted:

You can use glory to buy stuff like new gestures or skins.

It's real fun to get called in to help some new guy summoning for onryoki, only to show up as Nobunaga just like "Sup guy"

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Snak posted:

We were doing random encounters, not yokai realm with companion. We should do some companion, though. It means we don't lose automatically when you walk off a cliff :P. (Yes, I saved that video)

Thanks Batman

I gotta upload those

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
If I have both lower and upper level limits at 5 shouldn't everything I forge be +5?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

If I have both lower and upper level limits at 5 shouldn't everything I forge be +5?

Yes, but that investment is a trap since it becomes useless when you hit the max level for equipment

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

poo poo it means item level doesn't it, I thought every divine I crafted would be +5 haha

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
If you're having some trouble against human bosses and revenants I highly recommend using dual swords and buying the swing-kick-overhead double slash(advanced timing version) combo. As long as you can get the first hit in, the rest of the combo will continue against their block and drain tons of ki. You can repeat this until they are stunned, then grapple, iai quick draw, and repeat until victory. Surprisingly enough it has worked on every human boss I've used in on since region 4 on when I discovered it, and going back to Muneshige on NG+ it still works. The only time it fails would be in cases of high toughness sets who can tank the first swing and hit you back... unless you're also in heavy armor and can just keep swinging.

Edit:Seriously just try it at least once. The technique let me sleepwalk through Obsidian Samurai and beyond.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So I forged a couple of +1 weapons and brought my kusarigama to +2. Do I have to combine it with another +2 weapon to take it to +3? Right now it has:
Water +20
Close Combat Damage +20%
Add to Attack (Dex) A+
Close Combat Life Recovery 254
Close Combat Ki Reduction 12.9%
...and it's the Iga Ninja set weapon. Are there any damage bonuses I'm missing out on there? Anything I should reroll? I have agility A+ on my hand cannon. Ideally I'd get a fire kusa because of the +fire on the cannon but it took so goddamn long to get a useful element I am not touching that. Maybe I will find a fire kusa to build on.

Snak posted:

I'd like to experiment with that some. Were you just using the password system or were you doing friends only?

"snap rats" on PSN if someone wants to try some jolly random cooperation or wants me to go drown myself so you can get the CCD +20% off my weapon.

edit: I made a special edit to this post to let you know how hard Blade Spin owns bones. This includes both skeletons as well as anything with a functioning endoskeleton. It's got a huge reach, hyperarmor, and significant forward movement that will both catch retreats and move you out of the way of other attacks. Runs off square so I assume it's weight based not sickle. Between that and Foot Sweep it's hard to make myself use any other weapon. The axe spin is hilarious enough to be worth it though.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 4, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Araganzar posted:

I'd like to experiment with that some. Were you just using the password system or were you doing friends only?

What we did is one of use loaded the mission and summoned at the shrine, and the other person went to "random encounters", both using password. Worked every time. We didn't try Yokai Realm with Companion at all.

I'm getting sucked into Horizon Zero Dawn right now, so I'll be away from nioh for a few weeks I think.

HZD is very good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Araganzar posted:

So I forged a couple of +1 weapons and brought my kusarigama to +2. Do I have to combine it with another +2 weapon to take it to +3? Right now it has:

Yes. Then it will need to be combined with a +3 to get it to +4 and so on.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Just want to say that the Tachibana Muneshige fight was a fantastic time for me to figure out how to use the yokai water pots.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Dive into a level 90 Twilight mission to look for upgrades. Find level 110+ revenants and end up replacing level 80 weapons with level 100+ gear. :stare:

The spear is so getting nerfed. The guard-lunge ( forgot the name ) has a insane range, and seems to do a crazy amount of extra ki damage if you clip the enemy with the blade instead of the spear's body.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

limited posted:

The spear is so getting nerfed. The guard-lunge ( forgot the name ) has a insane range, and seems to do a crazy amount of extra ki damage if you clip the enemy with the blade instead of the spear's body.

It's fine. All weapons can do some broken poo poo if you use them correctly.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

If you're having some trouble against human bosses and revenants I highly recommend using dual swords and buying the swing-kick-overhead double slash(advanced timing version) combo. As long as you can get the first hit in, the rest of the combo will continue against their block and drain tons of ki. You can repeat this until they are stunned, then grapple, iai quick draw, and repeat until victory. Surprisingly enough it has worked on every human boss I've used in on since region 4 on when I discovered it, and going back to Muneshige on NG+ it still works. The only time it fails would be in cases of high toughness sets who can tank the first swing and hit you back... unless you're also in heavy armor and can just keep swinging.

Edit:Seriously just try it at least once. The technique let me sleepwalk through Obsidian Samurai and beyond.

How exactly does the Nioh version of poise work? I notice sometimes revenants tank the first hit.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
See they don't have to nerf stuff in Nioh for balance babies because there's no PVP, and what you choose to do to a yokai is between you and that yokai.

Now whether that will change when they patch in PVP (please, please be an empty promise) I do not know.

Hackan Slash posted:

How exactly does the Nioh version of poise work? I notice sometimes revenants tank the first hit.

Same as DS3 - no poise but some attacks have uninterruptible frames. Most common in axes, not sure where else it's present.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 5, 2017

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I sincerely hope they keep PvP balance separate.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

I sincerely hope they keep PvP balance separate.

Same. I've heard a few good ideas for how this could be done but mine was to just limit players to a few select "classes" with specific item/skill/gear loadouts, maybe basing them off skins of NPCs. Like you can go into battle as Ii Naomasa with light armor and a spear or Sakata Kintoki with heavy armor and an axe. Your build as it exists in-game just doesn't feel like it would meld well with others.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

you don't even have to get the first hit in - if you whiff the first hit just barely you can triangle to kick your human enemy. if your spacing is right then the kick will connect and you can follow up with double slashes.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That's true. The key is that the second overhead swing will knock their guard down every time, letting you repeat the combo as long as you have ki or they manage to dodge away from the whole combo.

I honestly don't have a great grasp on the poise system but I noticed revenants with heavy armor and/or the warrior monk turban will swing straight through the attack-kick part and knock my light armor self down. That leads me to believe the toughness stat works more like DS1 poise than 3.

Edit: There's special gear for co-op players? I got a dragon helm from a revenant that said it was made by a cooperator.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It also is generally a good idea to intentionally whiff your first swing if you're only trying to exhaust their stamina, because they'll block the kick if it's the second hit that connects. I actually really don't like that about the human enemies in this game, literally all of them have the same blocking AI. They always try to block the third hit of a combo if it's a fast weapon, always try to the second hit if it's a slow weapon, and always try to block ki draining moves unless they're the first (or sometimes second) hit that connects.

edit: vvv Okay well maybe not all of them, but it is a behavior you can rely on, especially for human-type bosses.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 5, 2017

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
At least that's true for captains and named samurai type guys. Regular bandits and footmen aren't quite on the ball.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Deified Data posted:

Same as DS3 - no poise but some attacks have uninterruptible frames. Most common in axes, not sure where else it's present.

That explains the issue I have with certain enemy attacks.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

It also is generally a good idea to intentionally whiff your first swing if you're only trying to exhaust their stamina, because they'll block the kick if it's the second hit that connects. I actually really don't like that about the human enemies in this game, literally all of them have the same blocking AI. They always try to block the third hit of a combo if it's a fast weapon, always try to the second hit if it's a slow weapon, and always try to block ki draining moves unless they're the first (or sometimes second) hit that connects.

edit: vvv Okay well maybe not all of them, but it is a behavior you can rely on, especially for human-type bosses.

Yeah, boss style human enemies don't seem like they have very interesting behaviors. It seems like they have their own movesets but a common AI between them.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Haven't been using the sword counters and holy poo poo, they are so much fun. With my current set-up, I can counter once and finish them off with the following grapple/final blow, poo poo's so good.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Revenants never drop divine gear of higher ranks, right? Because I've gotten tons of green drops on Level 150 from them, but none of them where +1 or higher. Looks like you can get those only from normal enemy drops in the level...
It kinda sucks that divine gear with +0 is kinda useless thrash for soul matching :(

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Bystander posted:

Haven't been using the sword counters and holy poo poo, they are so much fun. With my current set-up, I can counter once and finish them off with the following grapple/final blow, poo poo's so good.

If you want to get super advanced, start investing in the sword's iai skill tree. With the right upgrade, you can stagger an enemy with Haze, and then use your expended ki to instantly pulse yourself into the iai stance, hitting the staggered enemy for a shitload of damage and knocking them over so you can finish with a groundstab.

This is also why the spear's special grapple is so good - it ends with a knockdown, so you can do even more damage with a groundstab.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

That's true. The key is that the second overhead swing will knock their guard down every time, letting you repeat the combo as long as you have ki or they manage to dodge away from the whole combo.

I honestly don't have a great grasp on the poise system but I noticed revenants with heavy armor and/or the warrior monk turban will swing straight through the attack-kick part and knock my light armor self down. That leads me to believe the toughness stat works more like DS1 poise than 3.

Edit: There's special gear for co-op players? I got a dragon helm from a revenant that said it was made by a cooperator.

It's a Japan-only item or something, I looked it up when I was wondering why I couldn't transmog to it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

"Toughness" is straight up poise in this game. Wearing Benkei's head wrap with any halfway decent armor will let you go full Havel mode and just eat massive smacks unfazed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I thought toughness effected ki damage?