Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Countblanc posted:

Most of those things are a lot less fun than doing a dungeon

Yeah but most of those things are more fun than tanking or healing so it evens out in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Countblanc posted:

Most of those things are a lot less fun than doing a dungeon

well sure but you can't do a dungeon while waiting to do a dungeon

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

use that 20 minutes to do sidequests or dailies or crafting or GATEs or Triple Triad or fishing log or custom deliveries or FATEs or ...

GATEs like the jumping puzzle or the air force thing which is roughly 2/3 of all GATEs these days :v:

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Ouhei posted:

I struggle with this for any DPS. I like playing DPS, but automatically adding 20 minutes to my playtime kinda sucks.

Play Baba is You while waiting for your queue to pop :getin:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

orcane posted:

GATEs like the jumping puzzle or the air force thing which is roughly 2/3 of all GATEs these days :v:

honestly that might be a bit low and I think you can't even do them when you're in a queue so maybe not the best suggestion on my part

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Might be a timing thing. Lately I haven't had to wait more than 10m for EX as DPS, and it's often closer to 5m.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Smith Comma John posted:

Play Baba is You while waiting for your queue to pop :getin:

yeah i basically just do non-ffxiv things while i wait. mostly its been ganz schon clever on my phone the last week or so, or watching youtube junk.

the non-combat stuff in ffxiv just doesn't interest me 99% of the time, they're just less good other games. i like to do the jumping GATEs but most of those you can't do in a queue anyway.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

Yeah but most of those things are more fun than tanking or healing so it evens out in the end.

lol

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ouhei posted:

I struggle with this for any DPS. I like playing DPS, but automatically adding 20 minutes to my playtime kinda sucks.

You say that as though instant queueing as a tank and getting saddled with two garbage dps doesn't add 20 minutes to your playtime.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Thundarr posted:

You say that as though instant queueing as a tank and getting saddled with two garbage dps doesn't add 20 minutes to your playtime.

you're not wrong but that really applies to everyone. queue tank? awful dps who don't know how to aoe. queue dps? honest healer who afks half the time. queue healer? the i395 tank pulls a single pack at a time and does a ready check and countdown before each boss.

ffxiv is an equal-opportunity "make the run worse" experience

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i thought the non-combat parts of ffxiv were garbage until i fell deep down teh crafting rabbit hole and now its taking over my whole life. Just don't do it without Teamcraft, and also a second monitor.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Zack Ater posted:

Grats! It's a pretty fun fight IMO.

...or maybe that's the stockholm syndrome speaking, who knows.

It's a good fight and way goddamn easier than the door boss imho. At least as a DPS.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Impermanent posted:

i thought the non-combat parts of ffxiv were garbage until i fell deep down teh crafting rabbit hole and now its taking over my whole life. Just don't do it without Teamcraft, and also a second monitor.

Third monitor. One for FF14, one for Garland/Crafting as a Service/whatever, one for Youtube/Netflix/Twitch/whatever.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'm glad and comforted that I'm not the only one who thinks 3 monitors is a must nowadays.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bolow posted:

It's a good fight and way goddamn easier than the door boss imho. At least as a DPS.

we haven't beaten final omega yet (and I would disagree about "easier" because healing Hello World makes me cry) but it's definitely easier than kefka or ned. I think it's that hello world is such a neat mechanic, what with all the ways to resolve it, so you've already got about three minutes of high-complexity mechanics - plus, hello world B is the last new mechanic or arrangement of mechanics at 6 minutes, rather than kefka only starting to repeat himself after Forsaken 4.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

after beating o11s my static has declined to attempt o12s and instead have been working on o4s for the mount

gotta say this fight sucks poo poo as a machinist

(in before someone says every fight sucks poo poo as machinist)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

If I could replace my DPS in non-max roulettes with my squadron pals Toragana and Nanasomi, I'd do it in a second every time.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Givin posted:

I'm glad and comforted that I'm not the only one who thinks 3 monitors is a must nowadays.

Hilariously FF14 is the only thing I use three monitors for.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Bolow posted:

World War Mammories posted:

we haven't beaten final omega yet (and I would disagree about "easier" because healing Hello World makes me cry) but it's definitely easier than kefka or ned. I think it's that hello world is such a neat mechanic, what with all the ways to resolve it, so you've already got about three minutes of high-complexity mechanics - plus, hello world B is the last new mechanic or arrangement of mechanics at 6 minutes, rather than kefka only starting to repeat himself after Forsaken 4.

Yeah, I felt so bad for our healers, it seemed terrible for them. We ran up against enrage more times on door boss than on final, so I guess I'd agree that final is easier as a dps. I really dislike how drastically my rotation is impacted by which Hello World buff I get, though (we use the basic Unreal). OTOH I'm still annoyed that my dragon lasers can't hurt both M+F :colbert:

e:

Kaubocks posted:

after beating o11s my static has declined to attempt o12s and instead have been working on o4s for the mount

11 is the best fight this tier IMO, and 4 is the best spectacle this expansion, so good choice!

Telum fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 12, 2019

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Trasson posted:

Hilariously FF14 is the only thing I use three monitors for.

There are deffo things I would appreciate having three monitors for. The other day, I was playing Division 2, watching Wrestlemania, and chatting about wrestling on discord. I opted to keep Discord/Div2 on the same monitor and just tab between them but it’s certainly annoying.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Zack Ater posted:

11 is the best fight this tier IMO, and 4 is the best spectacle this expansion, so good choice!

for sure, 11 kicked rear end and i loved it though i think my static has grown more tired of it than me since i joined late while they were still progging it. i'd love to run it more for fun and drops but i think they were all ready to move on, hah

little disappointed we're not going into 12 since i'm curious to see what hello world is, though i guess nothing's stopping me from watching a vid. just haven't yet.

4 is pretty cool and the phase transition is great, the fight is just hell on my class of choice. too many mechanics that involve a lot of repositioning and not attacking at all which really ruins the clockwork nature of mch. also aggro table reset on teleports is really rough on a class that can only dump aggro and not slow it down. we got past meteors last night though so a clear shouldn't take as much effort as 11 did, especially with echo.

for reference i didn't start any savage raiding until like the start of 2019, so the only other fights i've done are 9 and 10. 9's great and we all know what everyone thinks of 10.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Valleyant posted:

I'm still cautiously optimistic but they're not exactly starting from a great place in terms of writing.

I don't think there's ever been a good NO WE NEED BALANCE plotline, ever, and I doubt a game with writing as uneven as Final Fantasy XIV is going to be the one to get it right. I almost hope ShB is just us grabbing the villainy ball for an expansion, because at least that's harder to completely fumble.

Kaubocks posted:

gotta say this fight sucks poo poo as a machinist

(in before someone says every fight sucks poo poo as machinist)

As someone whose group is working on HW2 right now, good choice. the best choice is to not touch Savage, but I guess we both screwed that up already.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'm still excited for the Shadowbringers, but I can't shake the feeling it's going to be FFXI Dynamis: the Expansion with some Bayonetta thrown in for flavor.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

:eyepop:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Verranicus posted:

Therr are generally other things you can do in game while in queue.

I'm not gonna quote everyone, but I'm well aware there are other things to do in the game while in queue. I don't often get a ton of time to play in a sitting (often I have 1, maybe 2 hours) and enjoy running dungeons/current endgame content more than side content in the game so I like that tanking/healing lets me do more of that in a sitting than DPSing does.

I'm just a little burned out on Tanking and Healing after playing for ~5 years and DPSing has been a nice change of pace, I just don't get as much done when I do it. I play on PS4 as well so I don't have other monitors up, but I'll do poo poo on my phone/tablet if I don't feel like doing side content.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Sorry, Zen, the new races suck, there's no two ways about it :shrug:

Kinda feeling this though, the Hrothgar having limited hat ability plus some of their facial animations being...wonky gives me a half-baked feel. They might turn out okay, but I don't have super high hopes.

A lot of beast races in this game have Hildebrand levels of exaggerated faces when emoting, which really made that HW scene of the mural in Falcon's Nest impossible to not laugh at with Vidofnir's eyes practically blowing up out of her head.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I hope we get some good Nero shenanigans in ShB. He's my favorite goofball.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The thing with Hello World 2 is that you can handle it in exactly the same way as Hello World 1, just with a bit less room for sloppy positioning. If you are getting to HW2 consistently then you have the fight beat in a mechanical sense and the rest is just cleaning up.

I'll agree though that 11S is the most fun fight this tier and 4S is the best spectacle in SB raiding. NED isn't all that bad once you know the fight but basically everything he does from his entrance onwards is completely terrifying the first time you experience it.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ned punching a hole in reality so hard that he goatses that poo poo is gonna be hard to top

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I ran around Pagos at level 25 and got all the aetherytes with only one death, and am now in the process of following the train. I was, quite frankly, expecting much worse.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cabbit posted:

I ran around Pagos at level 25 and got all the aetherytes with only one death, and am now in the process of following the train. I was, quite frankly, expecting much worse.

it used to be much worse. now it's merely boring rather than actively hateful

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Cabbit posted:

making GBS threads on Eureka is pretty much a meme now in this thread. If you enjoy Eureka, keep doing it!

Just to be fair, Pagos was much worse when it was first released, due to the devs' predicted expectations of how Anemos would be received. They made lots of QoL adjustments.

e:f;b

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm seriously blown away every time i hear SE mention their shock when eureka turned out to be popular, especially because they basically never cop to "it's because there's a relic", it's always "wow i guess there's really a lot of people who like this gameplay!"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I think its become a meme to think Eureka is good in this thread.

E: Goons doing the contrarian thing

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Countblanc posted:

i'm seriously blown away every time i hear SE mention their shock when eureka turned out to be popular, especially because they basically never cop to "it's because there's a relic", it's always "wow i guess there's really a lot of people who like this gameplay!"

The thing is, "it's because of relic" doesn't really tell us anything.

Wow you mean to say that in an MMORPG, a genre about filling up bars and collecting poo poo, people deemed an activity to be worth their time for getting the reward at the end? A lot of people, in fact? Crazy.

If it wasn't relic it would just need to be something else. That's how MMOs work. :shrug:

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
There's also plenty of non-relic rewards in Eureka that people actually stick around and try to get too.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm dreading the eventual day that I start doing eureka again to get the triple triad cards that can only be gotten from FATEs in there

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I regularly show a friend who plays WoW the fights in FFXIV to show off interesting mechanics or just general coolness factor.

In general, the primals are some of the best spectacles IMO, with each of them having something really cool from their wacky transitions (sword catching, bullet hell, DDR) to a mechanical gimmick (black/white, Simon says) but most importantly, being easy enough to just queue into and be assured I can show off the stuff live instead of just pulling up a YouTube video.

While 4S may have the coolest transition, 5S is by far my favorite fight in terms of overall presentation. The general absurdity of fighting a train, dealing with an attack literally called "Head-On", boarding another train and getting captured by ghosts, that fight has it all.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm dreading the eventual day that I start doing eureka again to get the triple triad cards that can only be gotten from FATEs in there

Make some friends with people who don't mind doing Eureka. Odds are they're already loaded with +2 elemental gear, meaning they're heinously powerful and will trivialize spawning even the hardest bosses in there.

A friend of mine with full +2 gear and a Physeos weapon went back to Anemos, got aggro on Fafnir, and just walked away from the computer because his natural health regen was outpacing the damage he was taking through all that elemental gear bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hyper Inferno posted:

I regularly show a friend who plays WoW the fights in FFXIV to show off interesting mechanics or just general coolness factor.

In general, the primals are some of the best spectacles IMO, with each of them having something really cool from their wacky transitions (sword catching, bullet hell, DDR) to a mechanical gimmick (black/white, Simon says) but most importantly, being easy enough to just queue into and be assured I can show off the stuff live instead of just pulling up a YouTube video.

While 4S may have the coolest transition, 5S is by far my favorite fight in terms of overall presentation. The general absurdity of fighting a train, dealing with an attack literally called "Head-On", boarding another train and getting captured by ghosts, that fight has it all.

Really, the only misstep with the Phantom Train fight is that no suplexes are involved.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Make some friends with people who don't mind doing Eureka. Odds are they're already loaded with +2 elemental gear, meaning they're heinously powerful and will trivialize spawning even the hardest bosses in there.

A friend of mine with full +2 gear and a Physeos weapon went back to Anemos, got aggro on Fafnir, and just walked away from the computer because his natural health regen was outpacing the damage he was taking through all that elemental gear bonus.

:lol: That's actually awesome.