Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I wonder if somewhere down the line some loyalist minion took Gaddafi's copy of The Art of War and secretly replaced all the pages with a printout of war crimes. Gaddafi unfortunately took it at face value and said to his generals colonels; "just do all this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Interesting tweet:

quote:

@FMCNL: PSYOPS is running! USAF EC-130J tail nr 00-1934 callsign STEEL 74 transmitting messages to #Libya on HF freq
Probably trying to convince army units to rebel and generally demoralising them.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Um, is there a reason that Misrata isn't being hounded upon by coalition interdiction flights?

I'm sure there's a good reason, but it seems odd that the CQ forces didn't get curbstomped by a dozen or so Rafales by now.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

The eyes can mislead, a smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth.

PsychoLordling posted:

upper hand know??
Hell if I know...

Jokes aside, that will depend on how many Rafale's drop out of the sky.

Maybe Sweeden can side with Gadaffi and send down a flight of JAS's to go battle the Rafale's?? (Give us a reason to go in and take back Hjemtland and Herjedalen!)

Fixed. Switching between writing in English and Swedish really doesn't do your spelling any good.

As for the Rafales, it's looking like zero. AA defences are pretty much a non-issue right now and the air force weren't one to begin with.

And hey, what's the problem with combining support of a UN resolution with some personal gain?

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Libyan SUPER SLAM

Only registered members can see post attachments!

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Stroh M.D. posted:

Fixed. Switching between writing in English and Swedish really doesn't do your spelling any good.

As for the Rafales, it's looking like zero. AA defences are pretty much a non-issue right now and the air force weren't one to begin with.

And hey, what's the problem with combining support of a UN resolution with some personal gain?

BBC: #
1648: A French military spokesman tells Reuters that 15 French planes were in action in Libya on Sunday, and that none encountered problems.

"...and you can take home one of these beautiful planes for 39,999,999,999, act now, supplies are limited."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Boner Slam posted:

He is indeed Rockin' the Casbah.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ChaosSamusX posted:

Um, is there a reason that Misrata isn't being hounded upon by coalition interdiction flights?

I'm sure there's a good reason, but it seems odd that the CQ forces didn't get curbstomped by a dozen or so Rafales by now.

I really don't understand this, unless they are waiting for night fall for some reason, but I can't think why. It could be the coalition doesn't believe Misarata is as important as other targets in Libya, or that the situation in Misarata isn't as grave as it appears. They might even be waiting to attack during the night, when the Gaddafi troops are completely helpless and unable to even visually see the aircraft attacking them, to further demorlise them.

Today I found out one of my family members is involved with maintaining the NFZ and had a very interesting discussion about various stuff that's going on.

Also the BBC has just said Amr Moussa said he was being misquoted about the NFZ, and the Arab League doesn't have a problem with it.

Also this:

quote:

British special forces have been on the ground in Libya for weeks, preparing for possible operations, says German newsmagaine Focus.

Members of the Special Air Service and Special Boat Service have reportedly been noting the locations of potential targets, such as fighter jets and communications facilities.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
CQ's forces in Misrata are supposedly in the streets and buildings of the city, so air strikes there are probably too risky for now.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Jamsque posted:

CQ's forces in Misrata are supposedly in the streets and buildings of the city, so air strikes there are probably too risky for now.

There's also the rather serious question of target identification.

On the report of British special forces on the ground, I can't help but feel that's one of those things where everyone would be more surprised if they weren't there.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

I really don't understand this, unless they are waiting for night fall for some reason, but I can't think why. It could be the coalition doesn't believe Misarata is as important as other targets in Libya, or that the situation in Misarata isn't as grave as it appears. They might even be waiting to attack during the night, when the Gaddafi troops are completely helpless and unable to even visually see the aircraft attacking them, to further demorlise them.

Today I found out one of my family members is involved with maintaining the NFZ and had a very interesting discussion about various stuff that's going on.

Also the BBC has just said Amr Moussa said he was being misquoted about the NFZ, and the Arab League doesn't have a problem with it.

Also this:

I would imagine that running interdiction in an urban area is worlds apart from doing it in the desert. Misrata is a fluid battlefield with a large civilian presence right on top of the fighting. You could theoretically target armour, providing you have decent recon, but the risk of collateral or blue-on-blue is overwhelming.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's no way the coalition will attack anything in built up areas, they really don't want to take the risk. That's also why the human shield of Gaddafi supporters in his compound are just wasting their time.

Something else I learnt today is that AWACS aircraft are also pretty good at identifying targets on the ground, so the coalition are aware where Gaddafi's vehicle are, and what they are up to.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
Anything that can blow up a tank is going to send shrapnel area. There is no real effective way to strike in an urban area without causing casualties other than those intended.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

There's no way the coalition will attack anything in built up areas, they really don't want to take the risk. That's also why the human shield of Gaddafi supporters in his compound are just wasting their time.

Something else I learnt today is that AWACS aircraft are also pretty good at identifying targets on the ground, so the coalition are aware where Gaddafi's vehicle are, and what they are up to.

I disagree slightly in that I think we will see some attacks in urban areas. The dangers are well established but I expect at some point they're going to feel it's necessary,

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Elgar posted:

Anything that can blow up a tank is going to send shrapnel area. There is no real effective way to strike in an urban area without causing casualties other than those intended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_bomb ?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

farraday posted:

I disagree slightly in that I think we will see some attacks in urban areas. The dangers are well established but I expect at some point they're going to feel it's necessary,

Well I think in the initial stages when the aim is to demoralise the Gaddafi troops and get them to flee or switch sides you won't see that happening, but things might change in a few weeks time if that plan doesn't work.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Stroh M.D. posted:

I'm not saying you should take what they write at face value, but a lot of relatively influential modern movements first appeared on the less discriminate parts of the web. For examples, see the birther movement and in extension the Tea Party. Or the wave of xenophobia that is sweeping Europe. Or the anti-vaccination movement.

Internet comment fields are like twitter. Any one person can be ignored, but when a lot of crazy people start to speak with one voice they can have unexpected influence.

Of course, this is not going to determine the public view of this intervention. But as the public makes up its mind, the information flow on the web can provide hints about which way it may turn.

What xenophobia in Europe? As far as my own experience living in state in the Balkans, it's probably more tolerant than ever.

If you can provide some sources, that would be great.

The Tea Party and birthers are, from an outsiders perspective, an absolutely obvious media misdirect. The Wisconsin protests were(still are?) larger than any Tea party "gatherings" to date and the (American) media largely ignored them.

And the autism-vaccine scaremongering has had an effect, I do agree, but the consequences will be incredibly visible and that does have a larger effect on public opinion than twitter quotes.

What my point is, people today don't have time to get informed on what everyone else is thinking on a given topic. It's much less time consuming to read the comments and quickly make up your mind, so you don't have to worry about having a wrong opinion for the next work week, which they usually spend worrying about their job, gas prices, health insurance, their children, groceries, taxes...

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Stroh M.D. posted:

That's the only explanation for the early recon-flights with Rafales in the hours before the bombing began, if you ask me. The Rafale isn't a recon aircraft. There is no way in hell that they could have gathered intel satellites or drones could not.

All modern fighters are capable of recon. It's simply a question of equipping it with some recon pods and off you go.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Another reason Misarata might not be getting much help at the moment is the rebels have started to move westwards, and are getting air support from the coalition, and at the same time the coalition have plans up patrolling, so it might be simply that they don't have enough air power to protect Misarata as well. You'll probably see more attacks on Misarata once those aircraft as freed up though.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

bringer posted:

Oh good, you're back.

You still haven't acknowledged that the National Transition Council has been recognized by multiple EU nations as the legitimate government in Libya. The French have even sent an ambassador to Benghazi, and the NTC requested support from the UN.
Over half of the UN nations currently recognise the State of Palestine, yet I don't see anyone going in to stop the Israelis leveling settlements

quote:

This isn't a bunch of western nations going "oh hey that looks bad, let us come help" while ignoring other countries. This is the UN responding to a request from a fledgling government. When the Bahraini protesters manage to take control of half the country and begin establishing diplomatic relations with other nations then you can compare the two.

The State of Palestine has been asking for help for years and not received it.
This is a bunch of Western nations seeking to overthrow CQ's libya following the premature support for what looked to be another flash revolution. Nice way to save face.

It will be interesting to see if the UN forces bomb rebel forces once they start moving on civilian areas too.

Jut fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 20, 2011

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

personaljesus posted:

Apologies if this has been addressed in this thread, but I will ask anyway.

Why has French military kinda come forward and seemed to be leading the efforts? (at least at the beginning stages of the operations)

- There is more at stake in Libya for France? Primary oil importer?
- Historical ties?
- Sarkozy is relatively crazy?
- Sarkozy wants to improve his popularity in his country?
- Coincidence?
- All/some of the above?
The French embarrassed themselves over Tunisia, and have plenty of face to save.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Jut posted:

This is a bunch of Western nations seeking to overthrow CQ's libya following the premature support for what looked to be another flash revolution. Nice way to save face.

Sure if we are intervening here we should have been intervening in Sudan/Zimbabwe/NK/Israel etc but you have to work with what you can politically and militarily afford. I think everyone sees the hypocrisy in only intervening in states where there isn't massive opposition from important players but that isn't a reason not to intervene when everyone on the security council is persuaded not to veto action.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Jut, what's your point? I assume you're not of the opinion that there should be no intervention in Libya, so your point is either that the Western nations are hypocritical (in which case you're preaching to the choir) or that there should be an intervention right now in all terrible nations, something I think most people morally agree on but that's not the topic for today.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Jut posted:

Over half of the UN nations currently recognise the State of Palestine, yet I don't see anyone going in to stop the Israelis leveling settlements
Sure, the extremist Jewish settlers might claim that Israel is ethnically cleansing them away from Gaza and stuff - but that's just not true dude.

Jut posted:

Largest per-capita recipient of international aid, last I checked.

Israel/Palestine debates are banned from GBS and the derailment was ended for good reason.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Namarrgon posted:

I wonder if somewhere down the line some loyalist minion took Gaddafi's copy of The Art of War and secretly replaced all the pages with a printout of war crimes. Gaddafi unfortunately took it at face value and said to his generals colonels; "just do all this."

I think I saw that in an episode of Punk'd.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Tarnek posted:

Important report from AJE in Tripoli: Libyan State TV has been showing civilian casualties during the day. AJE correspondent points out that all the bodies appeared to be completely intact, which seems strange after air strikes and cruise missiles. There have been suspicions before the strikes began that bodies would be "borrowed" from previous battlezones.

She went on to say that the international media was not allowed to visit the hospitals, the destroyed targets, or given any information about the casualties. All they saw was a funeral of people claimed to have been killed by the coalition.

ETA for Green Helmet Guy?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I was thinking more along the lines of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_AC-130

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
I asked right before Operation Greek Strippername started, so it got lost- I'm seeing no-one in the #tahrir chatroom at SynIrc, did it get moved to a more general MidEast chat?

Local Lib time, GMT +2, around 1900 or so, from Almanara Media.

quote:

the youth of the 17th February in Benghazi are detaining the remaining members of Gaddafi’s Revolutionary Committees in the city. This is due to the hostile activities that are being organised by Gaddafi’s committee members in the city.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

AJA via AJE:
7:10pm

Armed anti-Gaddafi fighters are agains advancing east from the city of Benghazi, in an attempt to break the siege imposed by Gaddafi's troops on Ajdabiya, Al Jazeera Arabic reports.

The route march from Benghazi begins. The importance of the accuracy of coalition IFF procedures rises.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I can't tell you how happy-ish I was to see the news this morning.

"America involved in military action in Libya." :ohdear:

"but it's okay, France is participating" :toot:

No one can get mad at us if France is involved, surely.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Jut posted:

You know what, I totally agree with you. It's a shame that it has taken western interests aligning with a local rebellion in order for those western powers to act. It's really too bad that they use words like "humanitarian crisis" to provide a cover for their actions while ignoring other humanitarian issues that don't have the same impact. I'm not being sarcastic here, there is no shortage of hypocrisy in international politics. I'm just glad that for once humanitarian interests have aligned with political interests and something is being done.

Jut posted:

It will be interesting to see if the UN forces bomb rebel forces once they start moving on civilian areas too.

Moving != bombarding. Gaddafi's forces have been involved in a weeks-long campaign of collective punishment against the rebelling cities, it is safe to assume that any forces he currently fields within range of civilian centres are a threat and thus a valid target. I don't think the UN mandate will cover an offensive rebel assault against Tripoli against dug in loyalists. The NFZ and related airstrikes are being used to force Gaddafi into a less aggressive stance where his surrender can be negotiated, not in order to support a Northern Alliance style push through to Tripoli against dug in supporters.

I've said this several times and you've managed to skip past it each and every time. Why do you think there's going to be this sustained air war against Gaddafi's forces? Why do you think the UN resolution will support that?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Namarrgon posted:

Jut, what's your point? I assume you're not of the opinion that there should be no intervention in Libya, so your point is either that the Western nations are hypocritical (in which case you're preaching to the choir) or that there should be an intervention right now in all terrible nations, something I think most people morally agree on but that's not the topic for today.
I think a NFZ would have been plenty instead of what is in effect forcing CQ out. What would have been better would have been a UN enforced ceasefire, followed by peace keepers and a return to the table.
Given the Tribal nature of the country, I don't think we have any idea how the rebels will behave if CQ is forced out. It wouldn't surprise me if CQ's tribes become the victim of rebel aggression. We've already seen rebels killing people because they look African.
Supporting rebel factions in the past has more often than not came back to bite us in the rear end and I'm not entirely convinced we know who we're about to shack up with.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Regarding Misrata is there more information on what Gaddafi forces are there and what they've got control of? I've seen mention of snipers, tanks, and naval vessels interdicting the seaward approaches.

I'm thinking that while air strikes into an urban environment would be really risky, UN air- or ship-launched missile strikes against the Gaddafi ships blockading Misrata wouldn't be nearly as problematic.

If the rebels hold any of the coastal portions of the city, lifting the sea siege would let them evacuate wounded and civilians, receive humanitarian aid, and reinforce/resupply their own forces. If they can get some decent anti-tank missiles or even some modern RPG ammunition into the city, those loyalist tanks are going to start having a very bad time in such cramped conditions.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Pajser posted:

What xenophobia in Europe? As far as my own experience living in state in the Balkans, it's probably more tolerant than ever.

If you can provide some sources, that would be great.

The Tea Party and birthers are, from an outsiders perspective, an absolutely obvious media misdirect. The Wisconsin protests were(still are?) larger than any Tea party "gatherings" to date and the (American) media largely ignored them.

And the autism-vaccine scaremongering has had an effect, I do agree, but the consequences will be incredibly visible and that does have a larger effect on public opinion than twitter quotes.

What my point is, people today don't have time to get informed on what everyone else is thinking on a given topic. It's much less time consuming to read the comments and quickly make up your mind, so you don't have to worry about having a wrong opinion for the next work week, which they usually spend worrying about their job, gas prices, health insurance, their children, groceries, taxes...

It's a wave of xenophobia that gained momentum around the time of the recession. Almost all European nations, at least in the EU, have seen parties whose only common trait is a strong hostility towards immigrants, and refugees in particular, being catapulted into parliaments.

The Swiss passed a referendum banning minarets quite recently - without having any, I might add. Something that's relevant for the Libyan conflict is this stunt from Le Pen: http://www.smh.com.au/world/europe-is-full-le-pen-tells-migrants-20110315-1bvxi.html

She has been quoted as saying that she wants to use the French navy to turn away boat refugees from North Africa.

She isn't without support either:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2011/03/17/Marine-Le-Pen-gears-up-for-president-run/UPI-61151300399757/

In Germany, the NPD may take a place in the Sachsen Anhalt state parliament in todays election. They already have several seats in other.

This may look off-topic, but it actually has some relevance for the Libyan conflict since people who sympathize with this movement has started to express clear opinions against the intervention. To them, it's simple: they don't deserve our help and it will only result in more refugees.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Jut posted:

a UN enforced ceasefire,
That's exactly what you're seeing right now. This is how you force Gaddafi to make a cease fire.

A blue helmeted peace keeping force on the ground, on the other hand, can only happen if both sides agree to it.

We'll see how much it turns into air support for advancing rebel forces. Ideally, the rebels and the air cover will repel Gaddafi's forces from the cities, ending in a stalemate, and then negotiations.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough

Jut posted:

Given the Tribal nature of the country, I don't think we have any idea how the rebels will behave if CQ is forced out. It wouldn't surprise me if CQ's tribes become the victim of rebel aggression. We've already seen rebels killing people because they look African.

Do you have a source for this as I have haven't heard anything of that nature.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Pajser posted:

The Swedish neo-nazis, the English Defense League and the BNP in the UK, the Front National in France, Germany's Chancellor Merkel (along with a few other European leaders) claiming multiculturalism has failed to name a few. A lot of European also have the same stance on immigrants from Africa or the Middle-East - they don't want them in their countries. That's not to say that Europe as a whole is racist/xenophobic - of the examples I listed, most can't exactly be called representative of their respective countries, and most countries are actually fairly tolerant from what I understand. But they do exists and there has been a rise in their popularity (as well as the popularity of right-wing parties) in recent years.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 20, 2011

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Trump posted:

All modern fighters are capable of recon. It's simply a question of equipping it with some recon pods and off you go.

True. My point is that I doubt it was necessary, seeing how drones and satellites could do the job in both a safer and more efficient fashion.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

bringer posted:

You know what, I totally agree with you. It's a shame that it has taken western interests aligning with a local rebellion in order for those western powers to act. It's really too bad that they use words like "humanitarian crisis" to provide a cover for their actions while ignoring other humanitarian issues that don't have the same impact. I'm not being sarcastic here, there is no shortage of hypocrisy in international politics. I'm just glad that for once humanitarian interests have aligned with political interests and something is being done.
agreed, I just wish they would just say it as it is, instead of ignoring other humanitarian issues, while at the same time preaching how this is all about saving the people.

quote:

Moving != bombarding. Gaddafi's forces have been involved in a weeks-long campaign of collective punishment against the rebelling cities, it is safe to assume that any forces he currently fields within range of civilian centres are a threat and thus a valid target. I don't think the UN mandate will cover an offensive rebel assault against Tripoli against dug in loyalists. The NFZ and related airstrikes are being used to force Gaddafi into a less aggressive stance where his surrender can be negotiated, not in order to support a Northern Alliance style push through to Tripoli against dug in supporters.

I've said this several times and you've managed to skip past it each and every time. Why do you think there's going to be this sustained air war against Gaddafi's forces? Why do you think the UN resolution will support that?
Because the resolution inserted that vague sentence which pretty much gave the UN forces clearance to justify the bombing of any and all CQ's targets. There's already too much egg on face to allow CQ to win.
If the rebels start taking the fight into other cities, then I would hope the UN forces would prevent this. The best case scenario would be to force both CQ and the rebels to stop continuing this war. Breaking up the fight so to speak and bringing it back to the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Namarrgon posted:

To me the main issue with this is that NATO countries tend to fly around like bumble bees from one conflict to another without any logic into it, having little if any plan how to pull it through, leaving their jobs half-arsed before leaving, and ignoring all the other similar conflicts. There is no desire for creating a universal policy for protecting human rights, so it all depends on whether the Presidents and PM's of certain countries feel like a new war would make their penises look bigger. This, in turn, has no preventative effect on dictators, because they can rely on that the outside world doesn't care what they're doing unless they are extremely unlucky. In Libya, Gaddafi would probably have gotten away with it if the Japanese earthquake had happened a month earlier, drowning out the news from Libya. And you just know that the western diplomats must be currently reassuring Bahraini government that they would never do to them what they have done to Gaddafi.

Jut posted:

I think a NFZ would have been plenty instead of what is in effect forcing CQ out. What would have been better would have been a UN enforced ceasefire, followed by peace keepers and a return to the table.

I doubt that this would have prevented the war from resuming soon after both sides had restocked on arms. And as the Cyrenaica part of the country is smaller by population than Tripolitania, Gaddafi would have an edge there, although it would have also been stopped just as easily as now. But it's also the case that the international community is too hell bent on preserving the post-colonial borders in Africa and Asia. India split into India and Pakistan right after independence, and Pakistan then split into Pakistan and Bangladesh, but somehow it would be impossible to imagine eg. Iraq being divided between Sunnis, Shias and Kurds rather than trying to force the factions to settle their differences in a joint government that nobody wants. Nobody shed any tears when Yugoslavia broke up (except for the people killed in the wars, I suppose) but god help us if Kurds want to have their own country!

• Locked thread