Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Like, you can get thronmail on a naut, or taric vs 5 AD, those two champs I see it as less a "maybe" but naut would still have to be pretty fed.

Generally I find when I'm playing support if I want a survivability item, I really want one that gives me HP instead of a fuckton of armor, and probably utility. Banner/Zz'rot/etc. Glacial is really good though because it's somewhat flexible, gives mana, and builds into some really fantastic items. On a support that more likes armor I can go Frozen heart on even IBG if I can proc it often enough (blitz, ali maybe? I don't play them often). Zekes is also REALLY good on any support that appreciates AP. As Janna I'll never be tanky enough for thornmail to really ever be useful, but a Mikhaels heal, another shorter CD skill, or even a locket shield will definitely help me survive a fight- IF I'm the one who needs to be surviving. They also work for your teammates.

I usually play Janna, Leona, and Morg for my supports if that makes a difference on this advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
IMHO one of the best ways to climb the ladder without anxiety is to use an implanted (or even real) sense of competitive tryharding, jealousy, or rage.

Currently I'm 17-3 in my last 20 ranked games, but it's still not good enough, because the most popular Japanese Twitch streamer is a support main and she's Diamond IV as of last night, whereas I'm Diamond V 60LP. I went to her twitch and bantered about carrying her and she permabanned me like a jerkface. I won't be satisfied until the person that I've carried numerous times is below me. I'm sure my next target will be that わははfucker, who is somehow Diamond II, and after that, another person.

It might sound stupid but this is an incredibly common thinking style in higher elos.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

slydingdoor posted:

I listed a bunch of reasons why it might have been the right situational buy at that particular time in that particular game that no one noticed or answered. Instead they just kept repeating the same canned responses... Huh, maybe I stumbled upon the truths that the secret cult of elite support mains don't want people like me to know! :tinfoil:

Nah, I'm boosted and I know it :golfclap:

Also before the next person naga's this out

pk's the one who was boosting me.

the things they said were correct and they are exclusive with the thing you did, so why is it necessary to break it down one by one

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

pog boyfriend posted:

oh man you are going to go ape poo poo when you get jayce

So I just looked up Jayce... He has a hammer that can turn into a cannon? And he got buffed last patch? :getin:

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Jayce is also relentlessly easy to feed with

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
he sucks though

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
oh god i lolnexus'd my current game

everyone in it the highest was me at gold 1 s5, next highest was gold 4
how far have i fallen

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
flash exhaust fiora top

thats how far

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Double assassin bot games are still fun as hell.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Luna Was Here posted:

flash exhaust fiora top

thats how far

"Fiora you need to be a tank you can't be full damage"
"Draven can be the tank since he wants to win so badly"
:riot:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
riots matchmaking for ranked seems pretty good (guess which team im on)

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

pro click

Did you shave yet?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Luna Was Here posted:

flash exhaust fiora top

thats how far

I've been playing a lot of Fiora lately on my gold smurf and honestly, the only reason I even run TP on her is for the lategame homeguard TP ganks on the enemy ADC who has the balls to try to go clear a wave in a sidelane. You can just TP directly onto the minion they're trying to kill and run them down and kill them without them having any chance of doing anything about it.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

And finally, to cap off my bad post trifecta, I feel fully vindicated in my Jhin = Varus observation as those two champions have been inexorably linked in pro play teamcomps for a couple of weeks now, across several regions

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
varus is a midlaner.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Jhin can easily be played in midlane too

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

The Mash posted:

Sure, if you like dying.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Mash posted:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Mr. Humalong posted:

I'd like to have a second champion to play when Volibear gets picked/banned but nothing I've tried has really seemed to click with me. I only play jungle and top and I prefer to play champs that are relatively to really tanky. Udyr feels like a strong choice, but he gets banned in about 85-90% of Bronze/Silver games. Same with Jax and Mundo. Anyone willing to toss out some ideas? Here's my op.gg if you want to look at all the champions I've tried and failed to play.

Amumu is brain dead simple and a good champion. He's also one of the champs with a giant "hey dipshits engage now" button, which comes in handy at low elo.

I know you've played him a bit but play him more. More. Mooooore.

Also his surprise party skin is top tier.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

The Mash posted:

Jhin's laning phase requires you to bully the opponent by being up in their face and landing Dancing Grenade's on the enemy until they can't be near the creep wave. this requires you to play very forward and in mid lane you will die a lot.

Varus just sits back and farms until he does enough damage to poke people out from a very safe position. they are not analogous at all.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Are they really nerfing my Sassy Dragon?

poo poo.

Not end of the world nerfs but still... why?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
new champs aren't allowed to be good on release sorry.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Kashuno posted:

new champs aren't allowed to be good on release sorry.

He isn't even that good.

Half his kit relies on really really quirky situational abuse.

Anyone with a gap closer murders him.

I could go on but y'all know this anway.

I will keep playing him because he is the best thing in this game since old Jayce.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

remember when new poppy came out and she was one of the lowest winrates in the game? this guy came out and people already are doing well with him.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mr. Humalong posted:

I'd like to have a second champion to play when Volibear gets picked/banned but nothing I've tried has really seemed to click with me. I only play jungle and top and I prefer to play champs that are relatively to really tanky. Udyr feels like a strong choice, but he gets banned in about 85-90% of Bronze/Silver games. Same with Jax and Mundo. Anyone willing to toss out some ideas? Here's my op.gg if you want to look at all the champions I've tried and failed to play.

if you like fast runman bulky champions singed is really fun and has access to strategies nobody else in the entire game can pull off as well as him.

he has a very low skill floor but his knowledge floor on the other hand is pretty high, you will need quite a few games before what he can and can't do really clicks.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've played singed for so long and didn't realize that if you flipped someone into the goo they got rooted.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Kashuno posted:

I've played singed for so long and didn't realize that if you flipped someone into the goo they got rooted.

its pretty much impossible to use decently so it doesnt really matter that it exists

also with regards to thornmail on thresh, we had three fed enemy AD champs on the enemy team that auto attacked quite a lot. especially a graves with a billion lifesteal needs to not be healing for free off the support, i don't think thornmail was a bad pickup that game. fed graves really just means your team is doomed to do negative damage to him forever.

speaking of fed Graves, really hope Graves gets dumpstered because I'm sick of his ubiquitous rear end being in every goddamn lane in every goddamn game and still having a 53% winrate in top mid jungle and bot.

also Kog'maw is still as brainlessly easy as ever. get a rageblade and if you get 3 seconds of free hits on the enemy ADC they are probably dead.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 4, 2016

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

KicksYouInHalf posted:

gently caress this "wait til you're ready" poo poo. Just dive right in and feed your face off, get placed, and then work toward a goal. Want to know how yo get over ranked anxiety? Play ranked. Play normals for fun and goofin and experimenting and poo poo like that but if you really want to learn the game better and improve, play some ranked. I used to have incredibly bad ladder anxiety and now I don't. The method works.

I actually agree with this. I'm incredibly low ranked (thought I was climbing to Silver, until I hit this massive losing streak where I've had individually decent results K/D/A-wise, but overall just have not been able to win). Even with that, however, I'd rather play ranked than normal, any time. Ranked just keeps people honest to a different degree than normals do. I may get frustrated by my teammates doing stupid things, but I generally know it's just because they are making stupid decisions.

With normals, I got tired of people doing just really dumb poo poo that wasted a ton of my time because "normals, who cares lulz."

I really don't want to play a 4v5 because someone on my team decided it's normals, so why not Soraka jungle.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
keeby no

slydingdoor posted:

I'm boosted and I know it :golfclap:[please don't be] next person [to naga] this out
Seriously someone else will rubio the conventional support knowledge I and everyone knows is at worst 99.999% correct.

Yes, Graves and Kog'maw are terrible. The favorite thing I heard about the latter was some streamer saying "playing this champ makes you worse at ad carry." You can't kite or animation cancel, just standing there autoing any damage guy in range or letting jesus take the wheel when you need to chase is always the play. At worst you need to press the flash or bork button or juke, all of which are pretty easy when the champ demands no mechanical skill.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

seizure later posted:

Jhin's laning phase requires you to bully the opponent by being up in their face and landing Dancing Grenade's on the enemy until they can't be near the creep wave. this requires you to play very forward and in mid lane you will die a lot.

Varus just sits back and farms until he does enough damage to poke people out from a very safe position. they are not analogous at all.

And yet they're filling the exact same roles (roles as in tasks rather than positions on the map) and get picked on the exact same comps in pro play. They supplement eachother well because they supply fundamentally similar things to a team: zone control, long-range CC and physical damage poke. Varus is a better opener and Jhin is a better closer and they have different power spikes, but the Jhin/Varus/Gragas comp will only get more common until one of the three (probably Jhin) eats a nerf.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

KicksYouInHalf posted:

This is just my opinion but ima present it as fact with no backing evidence.

gently caress this "wait til you're ready" poo poo. Just dive right in and feed your face off, get placed, and then work toward a goal. Want to know how yo get over ranked anxiety? Play ranked. Play normals for fun and goofin and experimenting and poo poo like that but if you really want to learn the game better and improve, play some ranked. I used to have incredibly bad ladder anxiety and now I don't. The method works.

I know everyone is different and all that. But, even though I didn't "care" using this logic was still having an adverse effect on me. Losing 4 games in a row of ranked dynamic queue is still incredibly disheartening in a way that normals isn't, as much as I try to say it doesn't matter.

Plus I like being able to play karthus jungle and have nobody get mad about it

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The last time you should have picked up a selfish item on Thresh was season 3 when both Thresh and Sunfire were broken and you could come out of landing phase with enough gold for a full item.

Get a Frozen Heart or something don't buy selfish items on support.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

slydingdoor posted:

Seriously someone else will rubio the conventional support knowledge I and everyone knows is at worst 99.999% correct.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm low ranked too, and my experience has been completely opposite. I've only played a couple dozen games and am even right now. I also haven't experienced a losing streak. Overall though, I've had games where my support helped the enemy team the entire game making it a 4v6. I've had games where people just ran into the enemy team going between 0/8 to 0/12 by the time we could surrender at 20. I've had games where a person refused to stop going in 1v5. I've found normals to be way more reasonable.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

SlyFrog posted:

I actually agree with this. I'm incredibly low ranked (thought I was climbing to Silver, until I hit this massive losing streak where I've had individually decent results K/D/A-wise, but overall just have not been able to win). Even with that, however, I'd rather play ranked than normal, any time. Ranked just keeps people honest to a different degree than normals do. I may get frustrated by my teammates doing stupid things, but I generally know it's just because they are making stupid decisions.

With normals, I got tired of people doing just really dumb poo poo that wasted a ton of my time because "normals, who cares lulz."

I really don't want to play a 4v5 because someone on my team decided it's normals, so why not Soraka jungle.

Sometimes I'd rather play with drunk duos playing yasuo bot than with tryhard Riven mains who lose their level2 all in then blame jungler.

And honestly, ranked have their own share of fucktards who don't actually play nonstandard because they want something else but because you banned his Zed and now he is trolling.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How the hell can I reliably get top? I've always qued top/bot and mostly gotten top but like 4 of my last 5 have been bot and it's bullshit.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How the hell can I reliably get top? I've always qued top/bot and mostly gotten top but like 4 of my last 5 have been bot and it's bullshit.

put mid as your secondary

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

The Mash posted:

And yet they're filling the exact same roles (roles as in tasks rather than positions on the map) and get picked on the exact same comps in pro play. They supplement eachother well because they supply fundamentally similar things to a team: zone control, long-range CC and physical damage poke. Varus is a better opener and Jhin is a better closer and they have different power spikes, but the Jhin/Varus/Gragas comp will only get more common until one of the three (probably Jhin) eats a nerf.

so you're changing your stance from "Jhin and Varus are essentially the same champion" to "they perform x task in a team comp"? so Jinx, Ashe, Caitlyn and Jayce are also all the same champion then.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

they've been making changes to the system to try to get a more reliable spread of main / secondary role (or so they claim.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

The Mash posted:

And finally, to cap off my bad post trifecta, I feel fully vindicated in my Jhin = Varus observation as those two champions have been inexorably linked in pro play teamcomps for a couple of weeks now, across several regions

To add nothing to this discussion, I'm going to add that I feel vindicated in having agreed with you several weeks ago.

• Locked thread