Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
I've noticed the worst part of ordering a bunch of stuff from aliexpress is the influx of new scam emails you get from "PayPal" and "apple"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Strange I have a Gmail account and I never noticed this sort of spam.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
My medication organizer came labeled as “massage device”

Thanks for making it weird, vendor

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

Spermanent Record posted:

This bike bell is absolute poo poo. Do not order under any circumstances. The spring broke after a few uses and it literally disintegrated and fell off my bike as I was riding to work.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ROC...2391981211.html

Rockbros makes a similar but different bell where the dinger is a bit more substantial. I have two of them and they've been holding up fine for almost a year.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mocking Bird posted:

My medication organizer came labeled as “massage device”

Thanks for making it weird, vendor

Maybe it has creative uses you haven't yet considered

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Strange I have a Gmail account and I never noticed this sort of spam.
Yeah, same, I don't think it's an aliexpress thing

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Weird, I usually get like 5 of them all at once in the day after I make a big order.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I definitely get spam from aliexpress, because I use a unique "." for each website. So, if one is MGS@gmail and then for ali I only use M.GS but for another website I'll use MG.S. With gmail you can put a period anywhere and it doesn't matter.

A lot of the spam comes in to only the M.GS one.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I definitely get spam from aliexpress, because I use a unique "." for each website. So, if one is MGS@gmail and then for ali I only use M.GS but for another website I'll use MG.S. With gmail you can put a period anywhere and it doesn't matter.

A lot of the spam comes in to only the M.GS one.

You can also put myemail+whateveryouwant@gmail.com

However a lot of sites won't accept a plus sign as valid in an email address because there are numerous bad regexes floating around for email (or they don't want you using this trick)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, I used to do that and legit lost a plex account because of it. Now I just do the periods.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Alternatively, get your own domain and make up poo poo e-mails on the fly.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

mike12345 posted:

Alternatively, get your own domain and make up poo poo e-mails on the fly.

It's a shame google took away the free tier for mail hosting

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
FYI I am a pretty prolific user of Ali and my Hotmail account doesn't seem to get anything from them.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

skul-gun posted:

Rockbros makes a similar but different bell where the dinger is a bit more substantial. I have two of them and they've been holding up fine for almost a year.

Yeah but Amazon have proper, Japanese made, Crane bells for not much more. Don't buy Chinese stuff with moving parts.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
I'm a loving peasant because I still shop at real stores.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Salty Josh posted:

I'm a loving peasant because I still shop at real stores.

With bike gear that's basically impossible round here. The prices are 2-3x higher on everything.

Hell, they don't even sell MIPS helmets in this country.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

With bike gear that's basically impossible round here. The prices are 2-3x higher on everything.

Hell, they don't even sell MIPS helmets in this country.

Yeah gently caress bike stores. I tried buying an Indian Jacket and they wanted almost 200 for it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah but Amazon have proper, Japanese made, Crane bells for not much more. Don't buy Chinese stuff with moving parts.

Crane bells are like 10x more than any of those here.

get one of these instead

WEST BIKING Bicycle Horn Air Horn Air Horn Bicycle Bell Large Bik Alarm Army Air Horn Bike Cycling Bicycle Be... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Air-Horn-Bicycle-Air-Horn-Bicycle-Bell-Large-Bell-Air-Horn/1843372423.html

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
does it go Arooga?

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Sormus posted:

does it go Arooga?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mVSTO-PKSM

MASK HORN AROOGA JIM CARREY SQUEEZE WINDSHIELD COMMUNICATION GREEN MAN SQUEAKER

$3.43 14% OFF

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Sormus posted:

does it go Arooga?

No it just makes a really awful mechanical screech like a train wheel grinding on a rail.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

This bike bell is absolute poo poo. Do not order under any circumstances. The spring broke after a few uses and it literally disintegrated and fell off my bike as I was riding to work.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ROC...2391981211.html

You probably just got a dud, I've had the same one for a couple of years now and it dings just as well as it did when I first got it

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I have a box full of freebie LED flashlights and work lights and headlamps from Harbor Freight but after losing power in Irma last year I figured it was time to invest in a decent flashlight and after poking around on Amazon and Ali I settled on this Nicron and after playing around with it for a bit it's pretty awesome.

It uses a rechargable 18650 battery which isn't as common as the usual AA/AAAs but apparently they have a higher capacity and the fact that you can power/recharge it by microUSB in the flashlight itself is great because it's convenient in normal circumstances and during emergencies my power pack has a USB plug so I can keep it charged along with my phone.

It's super sturdy and the magnetized base is strong enough that I currently keep it stuck perpendicular to the legs of my work shelves. Also the swivel head is great because it lets you pretend you're a survival horror game protagonist.

The red and green lights are actually a way of measuring battery level, if you're at less than 30% power then when you turn on the colored lighting it starts at red and then switches to green when you press the button while if it's anything higher it starts at green and switches to red.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

it lets you pretend you're a survival horror game protagonist.

Oh the battery only lasts like three minutes at a time and/or it only illuminates an extremely tiny cone of light with everything around it remaining pitch black instead of pretty much making the whole room visible at once like a normal flashlight?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That pinpoint and nothing else thing is totally Realistic™
Just like pistols that cannot kill a rat with a single shot and grenades that have a lethal radius of gently caress you.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I can't speak for that flashlight specifically, but uhh, that quality is totally realistic and one I look for in a good flashlight...

I use a coast g19 at work at it and bought it specifically because of the bad reviews it go on amazon. Lots of people complaining the beam was too tight and compact and that it was useless for seeing your way around. I love it because it has no bright spots, and is a perfect solid circle of light that is amazing for inspections.

Actual photo of the g19

Different lights are made for different purposes, and I certainly prefer a solid tight cone with no diffusion for most purposes.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Are there any random cool electronics or should I run like hell from them?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Alpha Mayo posted:

Are there any random cool electronics or should I run like hell from them?

Go for it if it runs in a 2032 cell, stay away from anything that plugs into the wall or uses a 16850 unless you feel like filling a fire insurance claim

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Throw the 18650 away and buy a good one.. I bought an aliamazonexpress flashlight and the 18650 charged once. I'd also recommend not relying on the lovely charger that comes with it.

Most come with a 3aaa insert that's the best way to use it cheaply, get some rechargable aaa batteries.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Yeah, dude, there's no way I'd trust a rando 18650 from aliexpress to not over and explode in my pocket/hands and fill my lungs with chemical burns. Some things are worth spending good money on. Even if Fenix (or whatever brand) lights are still made in Chinese factories, there's an amount of quality control and manufacturing standards you can rely on and you'll get better support from them than chinese_reseller_005.

I a extremely wary to trust anything that takes batteries or plugs into power from aliexpress resellers.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 15, 2018

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Are Ali condoms a bad idea? My gut say hell no but aren't all condoms made in China anyways?

More serious, why should I use Ali instead of wish.com? I think the biggest factor is Ali acts a broker but with wish you are literally handing your credit card info directly to a shady dude in China? Besides payment security, is it any easier to not get scammed find good deals on one either site?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 15, 2018

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

I bought the alone fire 18650 or w/e rechargeable flashlight and it's been perfect so far

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So does this thread just cover Ali or do Geek and Wish also count?

Seems like a lot of product overlap between them all.

Had good and bad experiences with Geek and Wish.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

eSporks posted:

Different lights are made for different purposes, and I certainly prefer a solid tight cone with no diffusion for most purposes.

Yeah but see how things not in the circle of bright light are still completely visible, while in a horror game they would be completely invisible. (The trick is to never play horror games because their horror lies in annoyance.)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://thefpl.us/episode/273

Flashlights are a very deep well.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

Are Ali condoms a bad idea? My gut say hell no but aren't all condoms made in China anyways?

Everything is made in China, the difference between branded stuff imported into the West by big named companies is the oversight.

The stuff that ends up on Ali has basically zero QA, and that's fine because the seller can solve most disputes just by sending you another 10c replacement thing.

Think about whether a replacement condom would be adequate remuneration for a failed condom, and purchase accordingly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I bought a large bunch of cleaning putty off ali. It looked and smelled exactly like the ones I'd buy from office supply stores locally but for 1/10th of the cost.

It stained my hand and gave me a horrific rash for a week.

Woden
May 6, 2006

MrUnderbridge posted:

So does this thread just cover Ali or do Geek and Wish also count?

Seems like a lot of product overlap between them all.

Had good and bad experiences with Geek and Wish.

The problem I have with Wish is that you need an account to see anything, never heard of Geek.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I bought a large bunch of cleaning putty off ali. It looked and smelled exactly like the ones I'd buy from office supply stores locally but for 1/10th of the cost.

It stained my hand and gave me a horrific rash for a week.

Now imagine the same level of manufacturing care applied to the condoms.

I assume sex toys are a no - no for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Guy Mann posted:

https://thefpl.us/episode/273

Flashlights are a very deep well.

It this how the idea of the fleshlight was conceived?