Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

"I am out of here, to many homos :gay:" would make a great grammar language example in the new department of education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

I hope the guy in the fourth picture enjoys his many homos. :unsmith:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

timefly posted:

But what is the law, he says it's unique in how it compels you to use certain words or you can be prosecuted? Or maybe not everyone but maybe JP qualifies? I don't know, I looked it up the first time he mentioned it and it was obvious it wasnt likely to ever be applied but I don't remember now

He's talking about the Canadian Human Rights Act, specially the combination of adding "gender identity or expression" to the list of protected categories and the Act's anti-harassment language. The question is whether repeatedly misgendering a trans person is harassment, and the answer is probably yes. So yes Peterson (or any other professor) could potentially face a fine for repeatedly misgendering a student. This isn't unique, in that you'd probably face similar sanctions for e.g. repeatedly calling a Wiccan student a heathen. But it's more live because it's harder to talk around or ignore someone's gender identity than their religion.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I wish it was that easy to scare homophobes out of public spaces.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Ularg posted:

I wish it was that easy to scare homophobes out of public spaces.

To be fair, I’m sure it’s quite a shock to learn that some gay men are interested in motorcycles and wearing leather. There’s certainly no popular culture references that they would have seen to inform them of this in the past.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I was a TA for a class with a transwoman student and I only realized she was trans because stupid university rules made it impossible for her to change her name on the class register. I'm grading papers for a quarter of the students and I'm like "I don't have a paper for this Johnathan Smith, I've got Julie Smith's paper, are they related? could she get me his contact info so I can see what happened? Also why do I have Julie's paper?"

And then I found out what the situation was and also that some of the professors insisted on calling her Johnathan (thankfully not the one I was TAing for) because it was on the official paperwork. I'd get pissed if an instructor insisted on calling me Johnathan when I preferred John. (I didn't use their real name obviously}

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/uwebollocks/status/1001128485434331137?s=21

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Pookah posted:

https://twitter.com/john_mcguirk/status/964522155680595968

For context this prick was leader of the No campaign in the recent irish referendum on whether to allow abortion in certain circumstances. The specific context of this tweet was him gloating that the pro-choice campaign didn't have the funds to produce a lot of printed materials at that point, unlike his side, who had been collecting dodgy money for years from U.S. conservatives.

His recent twitter feed is a loving goldmine of schadenfreude

(For anyone who hasn't already heard, his campaign lost spectacularly - 66% to 33%)
There were some wild things in that campaign, like when facebook accidentally revealed that most of the No campaign was foreign funded or the people mad that they focused on the abortion part of it and not the "transness" of it afterwards lol

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

:same: but killed them in the name of honor

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I've had a couple assholes at work intentionally deadname me and facetiously say poo poo like "Oh im sooooorry, it slipped my mind, honest" while stifling laughter. I've also heard not so whispered "maricon" when i go past certain work stations.

Another flat out refuses to use my name because he "doesn't believe in it". I asked if he didnt believe in the process of changing one's name which is in fact recognized by the federal government, and he angrily insisted out of nowhere that "because of the bible i'm not supposed to judge sinners for their sin so from now on we just won't talk at all, Deadname."

The real prize was a person with authority over me, cornering and lecturing me for 45 minutes about "biological males" and all the dumb bullshit, right wing talking points about "the transgenders" are not to be trusted in public bathrooms cuz its just too easy an opportunity for them to molest and rape children. He made it clear he wouldn't let his kid in a restroom with any "transgender" then just happened to mention his lifetime of martial arts whatever in the same sentence. If that guy ever actually took a swing at me, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
I reported that rear end in a top hat to HR but big surprise, all management did was angrily and condescendingly explain to me for ten minutes that "we're here to work, not discuss politics on the clock for 45 minutes."

I'm one of the super lucky trans people as I've never been assaulted at work or been fired for having the audacity to be trans.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Besesoth posted:

I hope the guy in the fourth picture enjoys his many homos. :unsmith:

A toast, to many homos.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

And yet if you ask be called Bart instead of Bartholomew or Jenn instead Jennifer or even a nickname like Bubba or Curly no one would have an issue. Funny that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Picnic Princess posted:

And yet if you ask be called Bart instead of Bartholomew or Jenn instead Jennifer or even a nickname like Bubba or Curly no one would have an issue. Funny that.

I mean of course. It's only once you start asking for a gender different name it becomes icky and wrong.

Edit: Now if the guys give you a feminine nickname that's okay because you didn't ask for it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeah, to a point. If the name on my paperwork is John and I ask to be addressed as Steve I wouldn't be shocked if some instructors choose to go with the name on the paperwork, because it's a weird demand to make. The name on the paperwork is the 'real' name, anything else is asking for a favour.

However, if I went through the courthouse procedure and expense to legally change my name to Steve, and all my ID said Steve, then it would be very strange for the school to refuse to use Steve on my school paperwork.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, to a point. If the name on my paperwork is John and I ask to be addressed as Steve I wouldn't be shocked if some instructors choose to go with the name on the paperwork, because it's a weird demand to make. The name on the paperwork is the 'real' name, anything else is asking for a favour.

However, if I went through the courthouse procedure and expense to legally change my name to Steve, and all my ID said Steve, then it would be very strange for the school to refuse to use Steve on my school paperwork.

There's a bunch of people who go by their middle name and every class I took there was a period of time in the first week where the professor would write down prefered names on their attendance list.

Also I went to San Francisco State University so there were a ton of Asian kids who went by American names because we can't pronounce the names their parents gave them.

If John wants to be called Steve, call him Steve and if John wants to be called Julia call her Julia.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Facebook Aunt posted:

People often go by their middle names.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Glorious

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Skwirl posted:

There's a bunch of people who go by their middle name and every class I took there was a period of time in the first week where the professor would write down prefered names on their attendance list.

Also I went to San Francisco State University so there were a ton of Asian kids who went by American names because we can't pronounce the names their parents gave them.

If John wants to be called Steve, call him Steve and if John wants to be called Julia call her Julia.

It's also important those kids have "western" names because they help on job applications and generally in life.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My dad regularly got held up at airports when Sprint would send him on business trips. His employment documents and work-provided tickets were under his middle name, while his ID and whatnot are in his legal first name

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

TinTower posted:

People often go by their middle names.

Don't treat people the way you want to be treated, treat them the way they want to be treated. Basically.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, to a point. If the name on my paperwork is John and I ask to be addressed as Steve I wouldn't be shocked if some instructors choose to go with the name on the paperwork, because it's a weird demand to make.

When I was teaching, it was absolutely routine for students to tell me that the name they went by was different than the one on the paperwork, and it was almost zero trouble to make a note of it in the grading software. It's so usual that anyone who tried to make you feel like they were doing you a favor by calling you your preferred name would have to actively be being a jerk.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I like it when social media share weaseling methods fail.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, to a point. If the name on my paperwork is John and I ask to be addressed as Steve I wouldn't be shocked if some instructors choose to go with the name on the paperwork, because it's a weird demand to make.

It's their demand to make, and I'm not sure why you think it's weird. It's me, and my name. Call me what I tell you to call me. That's not weird in any way I can think of.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Paperwork is dumb and so is this opinion

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

What's your real name? I feel funny calling you Facebook Aunt and I don't feel like doing any favours right now.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

jivjov posted:

My dad regularly got held up at airports when Sprint would send him on business trips. His employment documents and work-provided tickets were under his middle name, while his ID and whatnot are in his legal first name

There's at least one time with every doctor that I have to correct something since I only ever go by "Alex" but my insurance uses "Alexander".

That mix up ended up being the longest single session with staff at a hospital for a mental stay that it kinda stuck with me. Talking to the billing department more than I talked to a doctor or therapist.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cleretic posted:

And, for the record for anyone who's reading this and going 'hey, actually wait a minute here': The water in our bodies does get affected by the gravitational force of the moon, of course it does. But because that water is in our bodies, the gravitational force of our body is enormously more influential on that water than the moon is.

I just through it was worth saying here because it never actually occurred to me until I heard a podcast mention it specifically to debunk stuff like this.

Also the gravitational effect of the sun is vastly greater than that of the moon on our bodies. The reason that the sun doesn't make tides is that the gravity differential across the diameter of the Earth is much greater from the Moon than it is from the Sun (factor of 1.067394 vs 1.00017). And the gravitational differential across our bodies from anything is utterly negligible, a factor of 1.00000001 from the moon or a factor of 1.0000000002 from the sun.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Memento posted:

Also the gravitational effect of the sun is vastly greater than that of the moon on our bodies. The reason that the sun doesn't make tides is that the gravity differential across the diameter of the Earth is much greater from the Moon than it is from the Sun (factor of 1.067394 vs 1.00017). And the gravitational differential across our bodies from anything is utterly negligible, a factor of 1.00000001 from the moon or a factor of 1.0000000002 from the sun.

The Sun actually does make tides - they're about 1/3rd the size of lunar tides, and that's what makes the difference between spring and neap tides.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There you go, I didn't know that, I just did the math.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This reminded me to contact someone at my school about how even though I don't use my legal name, and turn in just about everything except legal paperwork for the school my chosen name, my name has to be my legal name on all the programs for recitals and concerts. Which is just confusing to people mostly, since a lot of people don't know that's even my name. I'm hoping if I email student affairs or someone they can do something so that I can just use the name I want to use. I'd get it changed, but I only recently cemented what I want the rest of my name to be besides my first, and the spelling of everything. Also, it seems like getting it changed after I'm done with all my graduating and getting the name changed on my degrees is going to be less of a big deal than doing it during school.
It's just so weird to me that I can hand in every final with whatever name I want on it, but have to use my legal name for something like programs for chorus.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Weatherman posted:

What's your real name? I feel funny calling you Facebook Aunt and I don't feel like doing any favours right now.

Angela.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Ularg posted:

There's at least one time with every doctor that I have to correct something since I only ever go by "Alex" but my insurance uses "Alexander".

That mix up ended up being the longest single session with staff at a hospital for a mental stay that it kinda stuck with me. Talking to the billing department more than I talked to a doctor or therapist.

I only ever go by Alex too (name bros!), but you'd think there would be less confusion around what is clearly a shortened form of your legal first name. It's not like your name is Michael but you go by Steve.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
i wasn't called by my actual name for the first 18 years of my life by anyone (including my family) because my name is ethnic and i lived in an unincorporated Michigan farming community where even my teachers were too stupid to handle it. my parents figured it would just be easier to call me the lord approved name so I would get used to it

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I only ever go by Alex too (name bros!), but you'd think there would be less confusion around what is clearly a shortened form of your legal first name. It's not like your name is Michael but you go by Steve.

Hell yea! :hfive:

Although it's been weird for me since 90% of my social interactions are online that I'm so used to being called Ularg, I have always liked my name. The more I learn about myself the more grateful I am to have a flexible and nice name. :unsmith:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Inco posted:

Musk's a smart guy,

Very smart. so smart he donates to both sides so that no matter who wins he can call the president because he had a bad dream that roko's basilisk is shocking his testicles.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Hey, my name's Alex too, except it's my middle name so everything gets hosed up between using my given first name, Alexander, and Alex.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
My name is also Bort

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvsmANMfEbw

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Skwirl posted:

Both universities I've been enrolled at had a section on the forms for your preferred name if it differed from your legal name. Seems like a simple and obvious solution to a very common issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Here in Italy most universities now will, upon a student's request, issue them with an official school ID under their preferred name and gender, to be used for all internal school purposes.