Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Nemesis was inspired by WoK, and so was Into Darkness, and they both sucked. I am not optimistic that the third time would be a charm. Have new ideas, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Nemesis was inspired by WoK, and so was Into Darkness, and they both sucked. I am not optimistic that the third time would be a charm. Have new ideas, dammit.

He’s explicitly referring to the scene where Kirk outsmarts Khan with the shield trick instead of just outgunning him. Read the article, he’s literally voicing the same “more thoughtful exploration, less shooty pew pew” sentiment that this thread constantly calls for.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I would be interested in Noah Hawley's Deep Space Nine.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He’s explicitly referring to the scene where Kirk outsmarts Khan with the shield trick instead of just outgunning him. Read the article, he’s literally voicing the same “more thoughtful exploration, less shooty pew pew” sentiment that this thread constantly calls for.

Yeah I know, but there is no point in going back and aping WoK again, doesn't matter what part of it you're talking about. It's rightfully in the top tier of Trek canon, and anything you do that retraces the movie is going to be a) immediately compared to the original and b) almost certainly going to be not as good. I'm all for less shooty pew pew, and if it turns out that he's just using WoK as a general touchpoint for his ideas then hooray, but it's such an iconic part of Trek that I feel like the powers that be just keep saying "well people loved it the first time, so they'll probably love it again," and it never works.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think that as good as DS9 was, it might have created a lot of the problems that have plagued Trek ever since.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm rewatching TNG and I love how Picard likes Pulp noir garbage.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Beachcomber posted:

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think that as good as DS9 was, it might have created a lot of the problems that have plagued Trek ever since.
That's not their fault, it's mostly because the people running Trek (Berman, Abrams) tried to make it into an action franchise and it's not happening

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Yeah I know, but there is no point in going back and aping WoK again, doesn't matter what part of it you're talking about. It's rightfully in the top tier of Trek canon, and anything you do that retraces the movie is going to be a) immediately compared to the original and b) almost certainly going to be not as good. I'm all for less shooty pew pew, and if it turns out that he's just using WoK as a general touchpoint for his ideas then hooray, but it's such an iconic part of Trek that I feel like the powers that be just keep saying "well people loved it the first time, so they'll probably love it again," and it never works.

But again, he’s not talking about aping WoK or even its tone at all, he’s using it as an example of how movie Trek can still be entertaining and heroic without just defaulting to generic action and that that’s the tone he’s going for in his script.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Beachcomber posted:

New ideas are great until they're old ideas

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DS9 was great because it pushed things to a very fine line. The people since then have no idea that said line even exists.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

MikeJF posted:

DS9 was great because it pushed things to a very fine line. The people since then have no idea that said line even exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQkLWa6J3dM&t=21s

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DS9 is guilty of pretty much everything people whine about in modern Trek, people are just more forgiving of it since they saw it as children.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

DS9 is guilty of pretty much everything people whine about in modern Trek, people are just more forgiving of it since they saw it as children.

Lol no

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Glorious.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

marktheando posted:

Yes indeed, there are no Trekkies much older than about 30, or 35 at the most. :what:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

No more reboots, no more prequels, stop trying to copy Wrath of Khan again.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FuturePastNow posted:

No more reboots, no more prequels, stop trying to copy Wrath of Khan again.

b-b-but what else is there to Star Trek!?!?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

HD DAD posted:

:spock:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, set in 2020.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Just have :spock: stare blankly at the camera, occasionally repeating words relevant to Star Trek such as “Klingon”, “Section 31”, and “famous episode The Inner Light”

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I think even in DS9 the section 31 stuff was kinda iffy at best. I don't know if they had a real idea of where that would go and it got real weird in a not very cohesive way toward the end.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Where can I watch the picard short in the UK? I can't find it on Google! I'm freaking out here!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

You can't, legally.

None of the Short Treks went up on Netflix until season 2 of Disco started, but I can't imagine that this episode will go on Netflix since Picard will be on Amazon. Maybe Amazon will put it up when the fist episode goes up?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

gay musings

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Veotax posted:

You can't, legally.

None of the Short Treks went up on Netflix until season 2 of Disco started, but I can't imagine that this episode will go on Netflix since Picard will be on Amazon. Maybe Amazon will put it up when the fist episode goes up?

Boo! How did everyone watch it then? CBS?

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Alan_Shore posted:

Where can I watch the picard short in the UK? I can't find it on Google! I'm freaking out here!

You're doing yourself a favour by not watching it, it loving sucks.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

Boo! How did everyone watch it then? CBS?

Yeah, it's all on the CBS streaming thing in the US. Here Netflix picked up the rights for Disco, Amazon picked up Picard and who the gently caress knows who (if anyone) is going to pick up The Lower Decks.
No idea how this second season of Short Treks is going to work since it's apparently covering both Disco and Picard stuff. Is Netflix going to get the episodes that cover another service's show when DIS season 3 starts? Is Amazon going to get those episodes? Or are they just not going to come out over here?

All this 'multiple shows in the same universe' stuff falls apart internationally when different networks pick-up different shows. The CW's DC shows Infinite Crisis event is completely hosed over here, it's a big crossover event spread over five different shows. Sky has three of them, Netflix has one and the fifth hasn't been picked up by anyone so the entire thing isn't even being shown over here.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Veotax posted:

Yeah, it's all on the CBS streaming thing in the US. Here Netflix picked up the rights for Disco, Amazon picked up Picard and who the gently caress knows who (if anyone) is going to pick up The Lower Decks.
No idea how this second season of Short Treks is going to work since it's apparently covering both Disco and Picard stuff. Is Netflix going to get the episodes that cover another service's show when DIS season 3 starts? Is Amazon going to get those episodes? Or are they just not going to come out over here?

All this 'multiple shows in the same universe' stuff falls apart internationally when different networks pick-up different shows. The CW's DC shows Infinite Crisis event is completely hosed over here, it's a big crossover event spread over five different shows. Sky has three of them, Netflix has one and the fifth hasn't been picked up by anyone so the entire thing isn't even being shown over here.

top tip - get a VPN and just pretend to be in the US and go to the CWs website, that's how I've been watching crisis, no account or payment needed to the cw.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huh, neat. Didn't think that would work. I tried using a VPN to actually pay to watch Doom Patrol on the DC streaming thing and to get on Disney+ a few months early, both of them seemed to be blocking the US servers for NordVPN.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Veotax posted:

Huh, neat. Didn't think that would work. I tried using a VPN to actually pay to watch Doom Patrol on the DC streaming thing and to get on Disney+ a few months early, both of them seemed to be blocking the US servers for NordVPN.

Yeah, Disney+ is blocked on most Nord servers for some reason, I've not tried DC's streaming thing, but CW works just fine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

marktheando posted:

My take is that these elements and themes that we consider to be "dark" or whatever are legitimate themes to explore, and DS9 made an excellent dish (metaphorically speaking) by mixing some of them in with Trek. Those themes and elements were also relatively infrequent at the time, as well as existing in another zeitgeist. In that zeitgeist a shadowy government conspiracy engaging in coverups and wearing crisp black suits suggested danger, perhaps, almost romance, and the possibility of hidden truths. We now know that that conspiracy would be "perpetuating tedious oligarchy," not "alien technology coverups" or even "Sasquatch." We also have this same kind of grim cynicism in a shitload of other stuff, so it doesn't come off as a seasoning any more.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm watching Knight Rider and Gul Dukat just showed up. This is wonderful

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

My take is that these elements and themes that we consider to be "dark" or whatever are legitimate themes to explore, and DS9 made an excellent dish (metaphorically speaking) by mixing some of them in with Trek. Those themes and elements were also relatively infrequent at the time, as well as existing in another zeitgeist. In that zeitgeist a shadowy government conspiracy engaging in coverups and wearing crisp black suits suggested danger, perhaps, almost romance, and the possibility of hidden truths. We now know that that conspiracy would be "perpetuating tedious oligarchy," not "alien technology coverups" or even "Sasquatch." We also have this same kind of grim cynicism in a shitload of other stuff, so it doesn't come off as a seasoning any more.

Also to be fair to DS9, these kinds of themes and stories were already happening in the last several seasons of TNG as well. Redemption, Ro, Unification, Chain of Command, Descent, Gambit, a lot of the two-parters especially started exploring this stuff...shady Starfleet admirals and Federation policies, pirates and raiders, shifting boundaries, low level skirmishes between the big powers in the quadrant, etc.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 12, 2020

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Laterite posted:

Also to be fair to DS9, these kinds of themes and stories were already happening in the last several seasons of TNG as well. Redemption, Ro, Unification, Chain of Command, Descent, Gambit, a lot of the two-parters especially started exploring this stuff...shady Starfleet admirals and Federation policies, pirates and raiders, shifting boundaries, low level skirmishes between the big powers in the quadrant, etc.

Not to mention that DS9 was actually AHEAD of its time and had a 9/11 event BEFORE 9/11 while still remaining positive in its message and even warning about the dangers of such an event and the reaction to it. What the Founder on Earth said to Sisko and that whole storyline around it was pretty much perfect, it also didn't overstay it's welcome.
Trying to once again go for a "9/11" is kind of lazy especially with its focus around Earth/the Federation. You have a post-Dominion war/Borg invasion galaxy, there would be countless stories outside the Federation territory and yet it seems to be THAT human centric, meh. It's already just so obvious what they are going for.

PS: The depiction of school in that short Trek also shows a serious lack of imagination. I'd be very disappointed if a typical school day in an utopian society would look just like today with freaking school uniforms and class rooms(!), something that's already outdated in modern approaches to schooling.

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 12, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

LinkesAuge posted:

Not to mention that DS9 was actually AHEAD of its time and had a 9/11 event BEFORE 9/11 while still remaining positive in its message and even warning about the dangers of such an event and the reaction to it. What the Founder on Earth said to Sisko and that whole storyline around it was pretty much perfect, it also didn't overstay it's welcome.
Trying to once again go for a "9/11" is kind of lazy especially with its focus around Earth/the Federation. You have a post-Dominion war/Borg invasion galaxy, there would be countless stories outside the Federation territory and yet it seems to be THAT human centric, meh. It's already just so obvious what they are going for.

PS: The depiction of school in that short Trek also shows a serious lack of imagination. I'd be very disappointed if a typical school day in an utopian society would look just like today with freaking school uniforms and class rooms(!), something that's already outdated in modern approaches to schooling.

It's sad that the new Star Trek is wholely uninterested in world-building, it's all character drama and huge universe destroying stakes.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
I’m watching Star Trek Voyager for the first time and I love it! But now I’m reading most people think it’s bad and it just sorta kills me. I’m also weird because I’m watching reruns on free broadcast television. I guess I just have bad and wrong opinions. :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mush Man posted:

I’m watching Star Trek Voyager for the first time and I love it! But now I’m reading most people think it’s bad and it just sorta kills me. I’m also weird because I’m watching reruns on free broadcast television. I guess I just have bad and wrong opinions. :(

It's main flaw is squandering a great premise, so it's a disappointment that necessarily grows over time.

Otherwise it's TNG2: A Slightly Worse Cast

It's fine.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's not as if there are no good episodes of Voyager

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mush Man posted:

It's not really terrible, it just doesn't justify 7 seasons. The 1st season has promise and then it just stays the same or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I feel like Voyager mostly just has way more mediocre episodes than TNG/DS9. And also spend way too long with Neelix Controlling Boyfriend as a thing.