Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Sounds like some odd Tremolo/Vibrato hybrid.

More towards Vibrato tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wow, that sounds really neat. Thanks for doing that! I'd still love to hear what Agreed can wring out of it. That second clip is actually pretty cool sounding. I'd love to fiddle with the switching rate on that thing. If it didn't require about $150 in parts I'd just build one myself. I guess modeling does have some cool uses after all.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Hey, I am looking for a new distortion pedal (NOT OD). Here is my situation.

It will be put in front of my valve jr half stack. I have a modded sd-1 and a metal muff that I use right now. I want something for in between distortion. I could always dial my metal muff down and get a mild distortion, but i rather have another pedal so I can keep the metal muff in the 'metal' range and have another distortion pedal for more rock/alt sounds.

I used to have a ds-1 awhile ago but I sold it. I wasn't too fond of it, but i used it in front of SS amps, so that may have been the issue. It had no sustain and sounded too thin.

I am looking at the Rat, DS-1/DS-2, Digitech Hot Rod, Digitech Grunge, DoD grunge, Jekyll and Hyde, and Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion.

I basically want something that is versatile that can cover punk/grunge/alt rock/classic rock sounds.

I have $52 in paypal, and I rather not have to spend more than this shipped. I plan on only using this for home practice, though, if its good enough, I may throw it on my band/gig pedal board to use with my Single Rectifier.

To recap, something more than overdrive, but less than metal (though if it touches either level then all the better). Suggestions?

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 12, 2010

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I may be able to help you with a Rat, would $50 shipped be fair?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

iostream.h posted:

I may be able to help you with a Rat, would $50 shipped be fair?

How old is it? Is it in good cosmetic and perfect working condition?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

washburn085 posted:

How old is it? Is it in good cosmetic and perfect working condition?
It's relatively new and is in great shape both cosmetically and functionally.

I lent it out as a 'hey man I think I want that' to a friend, but he said he didn't want it, I just haven't fetched it back yet, so let me lay hands on it today or tomorrow if I can and I'll get pics and all up for you.

Colin Ex Machina
Oct 16, 2004
I adopted a highway.
If you're handy with a soldering iron, maybe do a home keeley mod to a ds-1. Easier to just get a rat though.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

iostream.h posted:

I lent it out as a 'hey man I think I want that' to a friend, but he said he didn't want it, I just haven't fetched it back yet, so let me lay hands on it today or tomorrow if I can and I'll get pics and all up for you.

Cool, let me know when you get (and test it to to make sure your friend didn't beat it up, if you don't mind), and I'll make a buying thread in SA Mart and send you a link so its official and you can just post pics there.

Colin Ex Machina posted:

If you're handy with a soldering iron, maybe do a home keeley mod to a ds-1. Easier to just get a rat though.
Ya, I am pretty good with a soldering iron, was considering just modding a ds-1 or some other relatively cheap pedal, but just am feeling lazy, ha. Getting the rat from iostream.h will probably be a better deal, as apparently they are awesome (though I never have played one).

For future reference, has anyone done any of the DIY kits out there? Well, mainly just used the DIY PCB's they sell? Any recommended brand/seller in particular?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

iostream.h posted:

Hey, one of my eBay bids actually didn't get outbid an I got a rat and power adaptor for $43 shipped. Thanks for the offer though!

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

washburn085 posted:

Hey, one of my eBay bids actually didn't get outbid an I got a rat and power adaptor for $43 shipped. Thanks for the offer though!

I'll take that Rat since washburn085 doesn't want it. Looks like you don't have PMs, iostream.h, so send me an email at plester1 at jhu dot edu.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

You guys bear with me, I'm staying in the hospital with a friend for a while.

New God
Jun 2, 2007

It takes shades of faggotry to make an awesome rainbow
I have a situation with my board.

I play in a two piece band and run my guitar through two amps. I currently do not have an a/b/y box, so I use my old deluxe memory man to split the signal by having the dry output go to one amp and the effected output go to the other.This allows me to fuzz out one amp and keep the other clean or use other effects. For some reason, when I put on a fuzzbox (little big muff on one amp and a devi ever rocket on the other) it causes a drop in volume and change in tone on the other channel. My fender blender does not have this effect, just the big muff and the rocket. I dont know poo poo about electronics, so I have no idea whats going on. I am also using a 1-spot to power all these pedals, which I know sucks but I dont have the cash at the moment to shell out for a voodoo labs pedal power.

So what can I do to solve this problem? Will a better power source or a splitter box fix it?

edit: Nobody has a clue? I know a lot of metal guys run two rigs and use tons of distortion, there must be a way to get over this problem.

New God fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 17, 2010

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

New God posted:

I have a situation with my board.

I play in a two piece band and run my guitar through two amps. I currently do not have an a/b/y box, so I use my old deluxe memory man to split the signal by having the dry output go to one amp and the effected output go to the other.This allows me to fuzz out one amp and keep the other clean or use other effects. For some reason, when I put on a fuzzbox (little big muff on one amp and a devi ever rocket on the other) it causes a drop in volume and change in tone on the other channel. My fender blender does not have this effect, just the big muff and the rocket. I dont know poo poo about electronics, so I have no idea whats going on. I am also using a 1-spot to power all these pedals, which I know sucks but I dont have the cash at the moment to shell out for a voodoo labs pedal power.

So what can I do to solve this problem? Will a better power source or a splitter box fix it?

edit: Nobody has a clue? I know a lot of metal guys run two rigs and use tons of distortion, there must be a way to get over this problem.

This might be a problem with using true bypass pedals. Long story short, true bypass pedals split into a Y configuration will actually start driving each other and not just the amp downstream.

Do you have any buffered pedals that you could stick between your signal split and your muff/rocket? All Boss pedals are buffered. Something like a TU-2 tuner would work.

New God
Jun 2, 2007

It takes shades of faggotry to make an awesome rainbow

plester1 posted:

This might be a problem with using true bypass pedals. Long story short, true bypass pedals split into a Y configuration will actually start driving each other and not just the amp downstream.

Do you have any buffered pedals that you could stick between your signal split and your muff/rocket? All Boss pedals are buffered. Something like a TU-2 tuner would work.

Sadly no, everything I have is true bypass. NO of purpose really, just how it ended up. So you thing putting a buffer before the split could help out? What about a quality splitter box instead of using a deluxe memory man?

edit: actually my roommate has a few boss pedals, I will put them in the chain and see if that helps out.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Just got a phaser. Not totally sure where to put it in the chain, but I'll be trying it in various places.

I got

guitar -> wah -> fatboost (clean boost) -> Sparkle drive (dirty tone) -> Distortion III -> Carbon Copy -> Mesa DC-5

where does my Behringer VP1 phaser fit in?

oh yeah, is this pedal even worth keeping around? I got it for $20, but I'm not about to put poo poo in my rig. I also just got a Line 6 FM4 filter modeler that I really don't think I'll enjoy, and plan on turning right around. With that money, I can afford to get something nicer, and I"m considering a DIY box from GGG or somesuch.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 21, 2010

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

CalvinDooglas posted:

where does my Behringer VP1 phaser fit in?
I'd say after, but you should dry it before and after distortion, unless you don't think you'll be using it with distortion, in which case after.

CalvinDooglas posted:

oh yeah, is this pedal even worth keeping around?
If you like it, then yes.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
I'd run it after the delay. Feeding echoes into any modulated filter is always great fun

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'd say after, but you should dry it before and after distortion, unless you don't think you'll be using it with distortion, in which case after.

If you like it, then yes.

Right now I kind of like how it is between the dirt and distortion pedals. When I put it after the distortion it gets swooshier than I want it to. There's also slight volume cut that pre-distortion placement offsets.

I don't dislike it so far, but I haven't played it enough to really "get" the pedal's sound. I'm also concerned about durability because I'll be practicing and gigging with it 2-3 times a week. If it's a flimsy piece of poo poo (it feels kind of flimsy), then I want to turn it around before I damage it or forget about it.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 21, 2010

Golden War
Jan 18, 2004

My bass amp has dual inputs for two instruments and I also have a chorus pedal with stereo outputs. I was wondering if it were advisable or not to put the chorus pedal early in my effect chain, running one output through the rest of the effect chain and the other output directly into my amp's second input, resulting in allowing me to mix in more of a clean signal with my distorted one, and loose less bottom end?

Golden War fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 27, 2010

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Golden War posted:

My bass amp has dual inputs for two instruments and I also have a chorus pedal with stereo outputs. I was wondering if it were advisable or not to put the chorus pedal early in my effect chain, running one output through the rest of the effect chain and the other output directly into my amp's second input, resulting in allowing me to mix in more of a clean signal with my distorted one, and loose less bottom end?

Most amps will have two inputs, but one will typically be at about -15db or so, for active instruments that have a hotter signal.

Golden War
Jan 18, 2004

Its an Eden Time Traveler, I'm pretty sure they're the same

Edit: From the manual:

"Input Jacks – Designed to accept a standard _ inch mono phone plug. For
best results use a high quality shielded cable to connect your instrument to
the amplifier. Both inputs are buffered and will handle standard passive,
high level active, and piezo input signals. Both jacks can be used
simultaneously."

For using active or passive basses there is a +10db gain boost switch which applies to both inputs

Golden War fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 27, 2010

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

How's the Bad Horsie II wah? My Crybaby kinda sucks, the switch gets stuck in "no sound" position frequently and the pot's a little dirty. I like the instant-on of the Bad Horsie, but I use a pretty mellow tone most of the time and I'm not sure if a "Steve Vai" pedal will calm down enough. Anyone have experience?

Also, I recommend not buying the Behringer Vintage Phaser. It's a flimsy piece of poo poo, but that's to be expected for $30 new.

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
Dear Goons,

I accidentally blew up my EHX Holy Grail Plus 6 months ago, and have only just got around to looking for a replacement. I'm choosing to look at this as an opportunity to try out some alternatives though, and I'd even go so far as to consider a delay as an alternative. I basically just dislike the pure dry sound on my amp - it needs something to wetten it up.

So what's the reverb pedal market like? A quick look at Harmony Central (I know, I know, but it comes up in Google) shows people talking about Boss reverb pedals - which surprised me - as well as the Marshall RF-1 and some others. Anyone got any tips?

Also, am I an idiot for considering a delay as a replacement for reverb? Note, I know you can't get a reverb sound out of a delay - as I said, I just dislike pure dry sound.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I am really fond of my Marshall Reflector (RF-1), and I am pretty sure Agreed is regretting selling it to me :D

Definitely part of my permanent collection.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

lechunnel posted:

Dear Goons,

I accidentally blew up my EHX Holy Grail Plus 6 months ago, and have only just got around to looking for a replacement. I'm choosing to look at this as an opportunity to try out some alternatives though, and I'd even go so far as to consider a delay as an alternative. I basically just dislike the pure dry sound on my amp - it needs something to wetten it up.

So what's the reverb pedal market like? A quick look at Harmony Central (I know, I know, but it comes up in Google) shows people talking about Boss reverb pedals - which surprised me - as well as the Marshall RF-1 and some others. Anyone got any tips?

Also, am I an idiot for considering a delay as a replacement for reverb? Note, I know you can't get a reverb sound out of a delay - as I said, I just dislike pure dry sound.

Reverb shouldn't be an obvious part of your sound, I'd go with delay.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hadlock posted:

I am really fond of my Marshall Reflector (RF-1), and I am pretty sure Agreed is regretting selling it to me :D

Definitely part of my permanent collection.

Glad you're liking it, and yeah, I miss the hell out of it. They never should have stopped making that pedal, best compact reverb ever.

CalvinDooglas, I don't like the Bad Horsie II. But I do really like the George Lynch Dragon Wah, which is available mass-market as the Version 2. I bought one of the original 250, I guess they sold quickly enough that they decided to make it a production model with some added features. Fuckers! :mad: But, it is a really fantastic sounding wah, voiced low but with enough cut in the treble when you approach the top end of its sweep that it gives you plenty of wah cut if you need it. But definitely capable of the full lower register of wahs, which a lot of wahs kind of suck at, especially other optical wahs (e.g. I had an Ibanez Weeping Demon and loved it for nearly everything but in its lower register I couldn't get it to sound quite right).

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

lechunnel posted:

Dear Goons,

I accidentally blew up my EHX Holy Grail Plus 6 months ago, and have only just got around to looking for a replacement.

I'll sell you a mostly-functional holier grail classic for QUITE cheap. :q:

(Seriously though, the only thing that doesn't work on it is the noise gate switch, which I never used to begin with, it's perfectly functional and very adequately fills the void that a purely dry sound can leave behind. They're discontinued, too, so you get indie cred. gorillasalsa [NO SPAM] @ [NOT EVEN ONE] gmail dotcom if you're interested.)

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
Ohh, advice.

CalvinDooglas posted:

Reverb shouldn't be an obvious part of your sound, I'd go with delay.

The few times I've used delay in my rig, I've struggled to find an always-on type use for it. I only ever found uses that you'd use in a couple of songs, not something that you could incorporate into your sound all the time. Can you give me some advice on how to use a delay in that way?

Agreed posted:

Glad you're liking it, and yeah, I miss the hell out of it. They never should have stopped making that pedal, best compact reverb ever.

They... stopped making them? How come I can get them at shops? Did they change the circuitry at some point?

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'll sell you a mostly-functional holier grail classic for QUITE cheap. :q:

Cheers for the offer! But I think I might pass. I'm in Australia so the price of shipping would probably mean I'd be better off buying something local.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

lechunnel posted:

Ohh, advice.

The few times I've used delay in my rig, I've struggled to find an always-on type use for it. I only ever found uses that you'd use in a couple of songs, not something that you could incorporate into your sound all the time. Can you give me some advice on how to use a delay in that way?
Keep the delay short and the signal mostly dry. I use an MXR Carbon Copy with each knob around 9 o'clock. What you want to avoid is the delay interfering with the current sound. Setting a delay too slow (or worse, using it as a metronome) will make your sound muddy as the echoes pile up and your current notes struggle to get through. I've seen a number of otherwise OK players try to hide behind a bunch of delay and overdrive and it just sounds the worse for it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

lechunnel posted:

They... stopped making them? How come I can get them at shops? Did they change the circuitry at some point?

All the pedals in that series were of Chinese manufacture. They stopped making them and others due to QA problems with the whole damned line. Basically, too many would work fine for a few days and then not work at all, and that's not just the Reflector, it's all their digital pedals and even some of the analog ones. They also had weird, stupid problems like the footswitches stomping right through the chassis and other things that basically reflected poorly on their quality assurance and dedication to putting out good products.

The usual scenario with electronics applied - if it was going to fail, it would pretty much fail within a few days of use. Otherwise expect it to last a long time. Mine was used constantly for, I don't know, two or three years before I sold it to Hadlock as part of a big gear sale. I suspect it continues to kick rear end and reverberate names to this day.

You can still find them in stock at some places because they made a poo poo ton of them and they're an underrated series of pedals in general so they hang around.

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?

CalvinDooglas posted:

Keep the delay short and the signal mostly dry. I use an MXR Carbon Copy with each knob around 9 o'clock. What you want to avoid is the delay interfering with the current sound. Setting a delay too slow (or worse, using it as a metronome) will make your sound muddy as the echoes pile up and your current notes struggle to get through. I've seen a number of otherwise OK players try to hide behind a bunch of delay and overdrive and it just sounds the worse for it.

Thanks, I'll have a fiddle in the shop!

Agreed posted:

All the pedals in that series were of Chinese manufacture. They stopped making them and others due to QA problems with the whole damned line. Basically, too many would work fine for a few days and then not work at all, and that's not just the Reflector, it's all their digital pedals and even some of the analog ones. They also had weird, stupid problems like the footswitches stomping right through the chassis and other things that basically reflected poorly on their quality assurance and dedication to putting out good products.

The usual scenario with electronics applied - if it was going to fail, it would pretty much fail within a few days of use. Otherwise expect it to last a long time. Mine was used constantly for, I don't know, two or three years before I sold it to Hadlock as part of a big gear sale. I suspect it continues to kick rear end and reverberate names to this day.

You can still find them in stock at some places because they made a poo poo ton of them and they're an underrated series of pedals in general so they hang around.

Interesting. So, given they each carry a few years warranty, Marshall just has to keep repairing them if any come in (cause there's no way of replacing them)?

How dreadful!
Mar 17, 2009
Hey, I'm using a Rocktron OnTap to power my pedals and it's ok except it makes this peeeeeeeee sound. Is there something I can plug between it and the power outlet to cut down on the noise? Is it even worth it or should I use batteries?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

CalvinDooglas posted:

You can also do the exact opposite of all this. Thats what I do

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

How dreadful! posted:

Hey, I'm using a Rocktron OnTap to power my pedals and it's ok except it makes this peeeeeeeee sound. Is there something I can plug between it and the power outlet to cut down on the noise? Is it even worth it or should I use batteries?
You're probably drawing a little too much current, sounds like. Have you tried unplugging a pedal or two ? Start with anything digital first, they tend to draw more current than analog pedals

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

You can also do the exact opposite of all this. Thats what I do

then you are probably not getting through the mix very well

How dreadful!
Mar 17, 2009

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

You're probably drawing a little too much current, sounds like. Have you tried unplugging a pedal or two ? Start with anything digital first, they tend to draw more current than analog pedals
Yes I've tried it with only two pedals and the peeee is still there. I've also tried other power outlets (including grounded ones) in three different places in the city and still peeeeeeeeeeeeee.

The fault is clearly with the power supply, which is why I'm asking whether there is something that alleviates the ground noise.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

How dreadful! posted:

Yes I've tried it with only two pedals and the peeee is still there. I've also tried other power outlets (including grounded ones) in three different places in the city and still peeeeeeeeeeeeee.

The fault is clearly with the power supply, which is why I'm asking whether there is something that alleviates the ground noise.

that's not a normal noise. Is that sound in the signal coming out of your amp or coming from the power supply itself? If it's coming through your amp then you should return and replace it with a better power supply.

As a general rule, anything that adds line noise but isn't boosting your volume is crap. Your overdrive pedals and swooshy effects should be the only sources of "noise" in the chain.

How dreadful!
Mar 17, 2009
The noise comes out of the amp and it's not very audible, just really irritating. So there is no way I can eliminate the noise short of getting a new DC supply?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

CalvinDooglas posted:

then you are probably not getting through the mix very well
not a fan of shoegaze huh

How dreadful! posted:

The noise comes out of the amp and it's not very audible, just really irritating. So there is no way I can eliminate the noise short of getting a new DC supply?

that sounds like the probable case, but dont worry too hard. a Onespot shouldnt run you much more than 20usd, so you can get two and some of the various adapter prongs for it and have change left over

byob historian fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
Anybody want to recommend me some settings for a Line 6 DL-4? I recently lucked into one, and I'm a total delay novice. I should add, though, that I don't want to use this thing in a remotely tasteful way--more along the lines of creating a JAMC-esque wall of noise. Only worse.