Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

maybe it has a gentle setting, kinda like a washing machine

for all her fire and brimstone rhetoric, all of miriam's punishment spheres are permanently set to 'remedial bible study' mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What did the outside world ever do to China anyway?

creating the foreign and evil ideology of marxism

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

it’s weird that the punishment sphere isn’t an atrocity if you think about it

Probably because it's the UN Charter that defines what's an atrocity, and the Punishment Spheres hadn't been invented yet when said charter was written, and so they're not included. I guess this is also why directing swarms of psychic horror worms that eat peoples' brains against civilian settlements isn't an atrocity.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
but the description says that part of it involves strapping on a nerve stapler

maybe the frosted showerdoor glass keeps it from being an atrocity

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Rhukatah posted:

Finished a game as Miriam. Planet turned into a race between my armies and implacably rising seas to claim the remaining few isolated Spartan bases. The last remnants of humanity live in a demented mashup of Waterworld and A Handmaid's Tale.

Paradox needs to remake this game.

launch solar shades bro

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Tias posted:

What, exactly, does the nerve stapling procedure entail? I never read the lore

I think it's literally they directly input pain electrons into your nerves so you are in unimaginable agony but no actual physical harm is inflicted so your drone can go right back to work after your week of being stapled

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

like the brainwashing scene from 'a clockwork orange' but with dem thread posts

it's your posts

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but the description says that part of it involves strapping on a nerve stapler

maybe the frosted showerdoor glass keeps it from being an atrocity

Might be that what makes nerve stapling an atrocity when you use it to stop drone riots is that you're applying it en masse.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

From the Alpha Centauri GURPS:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/what-is-nerve-stapling.277461/#post-6911830

quote:

Nerve Stapler (TLS(P)): A
device originally designed for
psychotherapy, but often
applied on both Earth and
Planet to deal with social
dissension. When strapped to a
patient's head and upper back, the
nerve stapler extrudes hair-fine
probes into his brain and spinal column.
A psychotherapist can then use
the device to inflict extreme sensations
(not necessarily pain) on the
patient, subjecting him to a rapid
course of psychological conditioning.
The patient must make a Will roll
every hour that he is under the nerve
stapler, or he will acquire the Nerve
Stapled disadvantage (p. 89). A nerve
stapler can also be used as a torture
device when applying the
Interrogation skill (p. B66).

Nerve Staplers allow psychotechnicians to directly manipulate your nervous system in order to elicit desired sensations in a subject. What's really terrifying about the nerve stapler isn't that it can inflict pain, but that it saps the subject completely of all free will by manipulating their senses.

Rhukatah
Feb 26, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Typo posted:

launch solar shades bro

I tried but Morgan, Yang and Santiago kept voting no.

I do not regret my use of planet busters to cleanse the Morganite sodom.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

That's a big reason why the Nautilus Pirates are such a bullshit faction. Every game is bound to have global warming, and the pirates get +1 minerals on all ocean shelf tiles.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I can understand China being hard to immigrate to, given that they are the most populous country on the planet. If anyone can say "gently caress off we're full" it's them.

This will probably have to change though, thanks to the one child policy loving with the gender ratio.

Also, North America is pretty unique wrt immigration. I don't think one can assimilate into Western Europe. For example, I as a Hispanic American, could never be a Swede, my Sweden-born children probably wouldn't be either, the same can't be said of America, I'm proof of that, imo.

This cultural assimilation came at the cost of possibly the most complete colonialism (read genocide) of a continent. So I don't think it's fair to hold other countries to North America's standard.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I maintain nonetheless that yin-yang dualism can be overcome. With sufficient enlightenment we can give substance to any distinction: mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Remember, enlightenment is a function of willpower, not of physical strength.

Yang was a poster

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Brits largely don't give a poo poo if you've been here years outside of a vocal minority like America.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
If I made a career as a scientist in China would citizenship be possible? They have this Thousand Talents and other programs Im looking into.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Why does Chinese citizenship even matter?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Rhukatah posted:

I tried but Morgan, Yang and Santiago kept voting no.

I do not regret my use of planet busters to cleanse the Morganite sodom.

pressure domes?

Rhukatah
Feb 26, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Typo posted:

pressure domes?

MY bases were fine with the ever onrushing tide- Santiago and Yang's not so much.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I once declared war on the University by putting a bunch of terraforming units around their capital and dropping it into the ocean. Spies reported all their cities switched to Pressure Domes next turn.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

you can offset the effects of global warming by terraforming up tiles in altitude, but terraforming up can destroy landmark bonuses like the monsoon jungle.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Rhukatah posted:

MY bases were fine with the ever onrushing tide- Santiago and Yang's not so much.

so it's ok right?

I mean they did vote for their own bases to be sank

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
i also heard that if you transform land to have high enough attitude it literally changes rainfall patterns around the map

confirm/deny

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Typo posted:

i also heard that if you transform land to have high enough attitude it literally changes rainfall patterns around the map

confirm/deny

yeah the game models rain shadows

not super accurately, but it's there

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

confirm/deny

This is true.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
holy poo poo

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think they assume that the prevailing winds always move from the west to the east (or the other way around), so the windward side of a ridge recieves more rainfall than the leeward one. You can use this to conduct economic warfare against your opponents by raising ridges to mess with their farms, though it's not exactly a super efficient method.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

yeah it's west to east. it's an easy way to nutrify barren areas you're using as solar farms like the uranium flats.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Typo posted:

so it's ok right?

I mean they did vote for their own bases to be sank

its pretty accurate imo

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

rudatron posted:

even if the US had been subject to a large scale invasion by mexico, that still wouldn't justify prejudice against mexicans

the real issue here is that many leftists often refuse to either acknowledge the existence of, or treat with any seriousness, xenophobia and racism when expressed by any non-developed countries, because it runs counter to the easy narrative used to justify white guilt or whatever, and for fears that such admissions would be used to itself justify prejudice

take home ex's reply:

imagine if this had been said about some hispanic immigrants to the US, talking about how they've never been accepted or whatever - would the reply of home ex here still be the same 'well actually that's chauvinism'? Nope, he'd do a 180, and use that to condemn the US. but now that we're talking about china, suddenly those standards don't apply, and actually, it's chauvinism to try and gain acceptance.

it's almost like the two countries in question have wildly different histories

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

"wow incredible, your standards and expectations change based on the material realities in two different places? hypocrisy much?"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
chinese people don't hate japanese people from what I've seen: they really hate japan as a country though

if you are filipino or viet or some asian with darker skin then yeah you are basically subhuman in china

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

pener is that smax patch compatible with vanilla smac? i have both versions on gog, and id prefer to play wo the new factions/wonders

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Typo posted:

china is literally running the equivalent of palestine in xinjiang where they flooded the province with ethnic chinese settlers until the uyghur are a minority in their own homeland

why should anyone take what you have to say seriously when you can't even get basic facts right

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

I think they assume that the prevailing winds always move from the west to the east (or the other way around), so the windward side of a ridge recieves more rainfall than the leeward one

yeah

In reality it should vary with latitude but that'd be more opaque and less fun

I just dropped forests and boreholes everywhere

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i always imagined nerve stapling as like a trepanning or something that makes drones dumb and passive

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Calibanibal posted:

i always imagined nerve stapling as like a trepanning or something that makes drones dumb and passive

"don't sign ur posts"
--Anonymous, Datalinks

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

pener is that smax patch compatible with vanilla smac? i have both versions on gog, and id prefer to play wo the new factions/wonders

if you check the zip file yitzi's 3.5 comes in there may be a regular Terran.exe in there, but afaik all the updates to 3.5 are for the Terranx.exe. you can play a crossfire game with just the original factions, but the new techs and wonders are in play.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

R. Guyovich posted:

"wow incredible, your standards and expectations change based on the material realities in two different places? hypocrisy much?"

So what are the specific material realities under which racism is good?

R. Guyovich posted:

why should anyone take what you have to say seriously when you can't even get basic facts right

Minority means less than 50%

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Baloogan posted:

"don't sign ur posts"
--Anonymous, Datalinks

"Turn on your monitor"
--Prokhor Zakharov
Accompanies the Secret Project "The Neural Amplifier"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

So what are the specific material realities under which racism is ok?

don't conflate racism and xenophobia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

don't conflate racism and xenophobia.

don't pretend Chinese people aren't insanely racist against Filipino, Vietnamese, Indians etc.