Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

painedforever posted:

And change the family motto from "Winter is coming" to "Winter'd better not show its face 'round these parts".

seconded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So if I'm reading the majority view of the Council correctly, what I've got here is turn off the High Valyrian cull and go for that (it'll require save game modding, but like, the easy kind) and download a puppy mod and then console command in direwolves (I'll probably give them out pretty liberally to children of Starks who had direwolves, so... sorry, Renly).

Is this correct?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

CapnAndy posted:

So if I'm reading the majority view of the Council correctly, what I've got here is turn off the High Valyrian cull and go for that (it'll require save game modding, but like, the easy kind) and download a puppy mod and then console command in direwolves (I'll probably give them out pretty liberally to children of Starks who had direwolves, so... sorry, Renly).

Is this correct?
Yes. Let's be High Valyrians, only with lots of magic dogs.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I approve of this plan.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

painedforever posted:

And change the family motto from "Winter is coming" to "Winter'd better not show its face 'round these parts".

"Winter is hosed"

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

CapnAndy posted:

Is this correct?

Sounds great to me!

mecharick
Nov 4, 2009

Whelp.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

I see what you did there.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

CapnAndy posted:

Everything you said is true, but... Dany had High Valyrian culture, in what must have been a deliberate decision by the mod team, because Westerosi Valyrian is a thing that exists too. Between Dany having it and the Velaryons having it, maybe it's less about culture and more about whose families the blood of Old Valyria still runs strongly in?

It's a weird thing, because I went through the opening screens for the scenarios, and all the Targaryan kings have it. The only Targaryan I've found who doesn't have it is Baelor Breakspear (King Daeron's son and heir, Hand of the King, predeceased his father), which I don't see why. (He's Westerosi Valyrian)

I don't think you should mod the thing to make the king Valyrian, but I'm clearly in the minority here.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah I think it'd make more sense if Dany was Westorosi Valyrian and the Targaryan dynesty before her morphed from High Valyrian to Westorosi Valyrian at some point. Like from what I was able to look up on the ASoIAF wiki the main difference the Targaryans have is they're the only dragonlord family to escape the Doom, since someone else with a dragon escaped the Doom but then went back to the city of Valyrian and vanished, so I suppose you could say that High Valyrian is the modified culture of noble Valyrians whereas Westorosi and Essosi Valyrians are descended from proles and thus had a different starting culture. But that's kind of convoluted.

...actually, speaking of, what happens if you try to go back to the area Old Valyria was in? Could be an interesting long-term goal.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Epicurius posted:

It's a weird thing, because I went through the opening screens for the scenarios, and all the Targaryan kings have it. The only Targaryan I've found who doesn't have it is Baelor Breakspear (King Daeron's son and heir, Hand of the King, predeceased his father), which I don't see why. (He's Westerosi Valyrian)

I don't think you should mod the thing to make the king Valyrian, but I'm clearly in the minority here.
I think it's because Baelor had black hair and eyes. Which seems, uh...

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

PetraCore posted:

Yeah I think it'd make more sense if Dany was Westorosi Valyrian and the Targaryan dynesty before her morphed from High Valyrian to Westorosi Valyrian at some point. Like from what I was able to look up on the ASoIAF wiki the main difference the Targaryans have is they're the only dragonlord family to escape the Doom, since someone else with a dragon escaped the Doom but then went back to the city of Valyrian and vanished, so I suppose you could say that High Valyrian is the modified culture of noble Valyrians whereas Westorosi and Essosi Valyrians are descended from proles and thus had a different starting culture. But that's kind of convoluted.

...actually, speaking of, what happens if you try to go back to the area Old Valyria was in? Could be an interesting long-term goal.

It's a large expanse of burnt, uninhabitable land, but it helps you hatch dragon eggs.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Epicurius posted:

He's not cheating to become High Valyrian, he's cheating to turn off the cull option. You can't change options on games in progress. That way, he can get his kid trained with the culture he wants.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
For the record, it'd be really really easy to just console command myself into having High Valyrian culture, but there's no fun in that and it makes no sense, so I'm not doing it.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
Sorry to ask if this has previously been covered in the thread but where do you get this mod exactly? Is it available on the Steam Workshop?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zanziabar posted:

Sorry to ask if this has previously been covered in the thread but where do you get this mod exactly? Is it available on the Steam Workshop?

yes

Mr_Autoshades
Dec 5, 2016

Epicurius posted:

After messing around with the Ruler designer for a bit and looking around at the Essosi/Westrosi/High Valyrians, I think High Valyrian is supposed to be the Old Blood Valyrians that have the Light Skin, Ridiculously Light Blonde Hair, and Red/Purple Eyes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mr_Autoshades posted:

After messing around with the Ruler designer for a bit and looking around at the Essosi/Westrosi/High Valyrians, I think High Valyrian is supposed to be the Old Blood Valyrians that have the Light Skin, Ridiculously Light Blonde Hair, and Red/Purple Eyes.

GRRM wanted elves but not elves

VV:Yeah but those are the creepy fey elves that live in the woods and do creepy things
Valyrians are the LotR magical grace and fantasy elves

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 28, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Mr_Autoshades posted:

Can't believe the mod kicked out baelor breakspear from his own culture bc of racism, smh.

I'm joking but also kind of not because it's a great example of where that breaks down, and also Lys is supposed to have a bunch of Old Blood Valyrians with silver hair and purple eyes they just marry each other and not their siblings because they're not descended from weird incestuous nobility.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

GRRM wanted elves but not elves
I mean he basically has elves in the Children of the Forest.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PetraCore posted:

Can't believe the mod kicked out baelor breakspear from his own culture bc of racism, smh.

I'm joking but also kind of not because it's a great example of where that breaks down, and also Lys is supposed to have a bunch of Old Blood Valyrians with silver hair and purple eyes they just marry each other and not their siblings because they're not descended from weird incestuous nobility.

I mean he basically has elves in the Children of the Forest.

In CK2 AGOT, Lys is where you marry into when you're a Valyrian who particularly wants to keep the white hair train going without loving your family, so that stands to reason.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
In CK2, culture determines a bunch of stuff, like what governments/inheritance you can have, what your realms are called, if there are any special buildings you can build, etc. So I guess my question is, how does High Valyrian differ from Westerosi Valyrian mechanically in this mod?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The main difference is dragon taming/hatching chances. High Valyrians have the best of all. Essosi/Westerosi Valyrians only have a somewhat better chance than normal.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I mean if that's the case I'd be fine with going Westorosi/Essosi Valyrian as a plan B, that sounds acceptable for building New Valyria if turning off the cull still doesn't prevent the High Valyrian extinction.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There's also some kind of events specific to High Valyrians that I noticed while trying to fix a minor bug. Mostly related to dragon dreams.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Hey Midnight Voyager, what happens if I install the 1.6.1 versions of your submods (because I maybe kinda sorta didn't actually do that yet) but am still on version 1.5 of the mod?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

Hey Midnight Voyager, what happens if I install the 1.6.1 versions of your submods (because I maybe kinda sorta didn't actually do that yet) but am still on version 1.5 of the mod?

The only changes in the 1.6.1 version are bugs that were fixed in 1.6.1. The files won't match up completely, but there's no reason it would hurt anything. And there's nothing that would hurt in regards to 1.6.1 versus 1.5 either, it was all fixy stuff.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Part 23: The Disease in Essos

Let’s start off with some catch-up on Council acts, for those of you reading only my posts or some future archived version. First, with regard to the culture discussion, it was decided that I should turn the High Valyrian Cull off and continue trying for that. I have done so. Secondly, it was idly commented on that there were many more dragons than direwolves in the world, due to the mod not allowing direwolves to breed and only handing out new ones very rarely. Submods exist to allow direwolf puppies, and it was decided that I should install one, and then use console commands to hand out direwolves to descendents of the Stark children who had direwolves of their own at game start. I have done this as well.

King Ned now has a dragon and a direwolf. He’s very impressive.

A map of the world to show our current realm was requested. Here it is. We control all of Westeros, Pentos, the dark red(ish? I’m colorblind) area above it which is Braavos, and the vaguely Italy-shaped peninsula in Iron Throne grey in the center of the map are our Slaver’s Bay holdings, which include Meereen and Astapor.

All that white? That’s Winter.

With the plague breaking out, I have ordered Refuges (the GoT-mod equivalent of hospitals, apparently) built in Meereen, Astapor, and King’s Landing. In Slaver’s Bay I’m locking the barn door after the horse got out, but hopefully it’ll help them weather the storm a bit better.

Oh look, a problem I don’t want to deal with.

Hey, Renly? You deal with it.

I’ve been working very hard to get a council full of loyalists who’ll vote however I want them to.

And what I want is to not have to listen to the council any more.

I thought you guys might be interested. Rhaena has tamed her dragon, which is unsurprising as she’s High Valyrian and hatched it herself.

Gods above, what is with... all of you women? Do I need to add “and I acknowledge that being married to a Stark doesn’t mean I have the dragon blood myself and should not attempt dragon-taming” to the godsdamned wedding vows?

She lost a hand and is scarred now too, but I suppose I should be grateful that this one at least managed to keep her face. We’ll see if she dies of the burns.

Rickard dies very young. Unfortunate.

And literally seven days later I lose another cousin, as it turns out that I sent Renly off to his death.

Hey, so... this is a major blunder. I’m about to declare war on Yunkai. I’m bored, it’s there, I want it, and I want to have the whole area under my control so I can hand Yunkai off too and won’t have to worry about directly administering Slaver’s Bay any more. And I’m forgetting something very important.

I forgot about loving mega-war. With Astapor and Meereen being held at the Kingdom level by vassals now, they split off from me as soon as I declare a war just like everyone else, which makes my available levies take an absolute nosedive...

Which means that suddenly any faction who can scare up a few thousand men is suddenly in position to dictate terms to me. All these guys want is for me to re-empower the council, so I do it. Lesson learned: wait for peacetime before enforcing major governmental changes.

Wait what.

Well, good news/bad news. The good news is that my levies just took a significant uptick and I’m in a somewhat stronger position with regard to factions. The bad news is that now there’s a lot more factions and I have to deal with the entire North again, which is extremely unruly.

Robb finally has a child that lives, but it’s a girl. I rename her appropriately.

I’m sorry, where?

What the heck is this? Why do I rule this? Since when? Whatever, I don’t care, do your mutiny or whatever makes you happy.

Crap.

I kidnap the guy leading the Argella Baratheon for the Iron Throne faction. It ends up not mattering much; someone else just takes over. I was hoping that chucking their leader into prison would break the whole thing up.

My armies have arrived at Yunkai, but the plague is wrecking the supply limits; it can only support 2500 men before attrition kicks in. If I let attrition whittle me down by even a few thousand men, every faction in the realm is going to go right at my throat at once. So I’m sieging them with the bare minimum.

Dire puppies! (I think the submod could do a bit better with its text, don’t you?)

After some confusion attempting to give away the pup, I finally figure out that I can only give it to people who are present at court. So I give my new granddaughter her own direwolf.

The Yunkai situation is just nonsense.

What.

Oh holy gently caress. The plague has spread like, well... the plague. It’s everywhere. It’s in literally every territory in Essos. All I can do is hope that it doesn’t jump the ocean.

Arthor may pull through, at least. I’ll take small victories right now.

Next time: Things get worse.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

CapnAndy posted:

Next time: Things get worse.

Lol very game of thrones.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
When things get worse because of your own adventurism, spurred on by boredom, you know you have reached peak Game of Thrones.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

painedforever posted:

When things get worse because of your own adventurism, spurred on by boredom, you know you have reached peak Game of Thrones.
Okay, to be fair though, a lot of it is because of the plague and a lot of the remainder is because I have to administer a giant gently caress-off realm without having that giant gently caress-off realm's levies. I take very little responsibility!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I thought "absolute authority" turned off the mega-war split?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

CapnAndy posted:

I take very little responsibility!
Heehee! That's just makes it even more GoT. It's like we've looped back around to Robert Baratheon.

You know I'm teasing you and not criticizing, right? It's hard to get the tone right with text.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

I thought "absolute authority" turned off the mega-war split?
It does. What I enacted and then had slapped out of my hands by a swift faction response was something else, which the game somewhat unhelpfully labels in a somewhat confusing manner. I went for Absolute Rule, or to use the much less confusing term that's also how it's labeled on the council tab, Disempower Council.

There's a lot of axes of power in CK2. Council power is one. It starts off at Empower/Disempower. The Iron Throne defaults to Empowered, which means the council can vote on all my proposed law changes, but nothing else. Once Empowered, the council can be granted approval power over other stuff, like going to war or revoking titles. I initiated a vote to change that to Disempower, which simply means that the council would no longer have a vote on what I did. The game calls it Absolute Rule because I'd get to do whatever I wanted without seeking approval.

Crown Authority is a different axis of power altogether. It represents how much power is vested in the Crown and how much the vassals get to keep, with Minimum Crown Authority being "your vassals do you fealty as their notional overlord and send taxes and troops, but you can't actually make them do anything, they rule independently" and Absolute Crown Authority being "your vassals aren't allowed to take any actions whatsoever on their own initiative". I'm at Low, currently, having moved the Iron Throne off of Minimum. It means my vassals can still do whatever they want, but I'm allowed to punish them for it.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 10, 2018

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

painedforever posted:

Heehee! That's just makes it even more GoT. It's like we've looped back around to Robert Baratheon.

You know I'm teasing you and not criticizing, right? It's hard to get the tone right with text.
Of course.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CapnAndy posted:

Of course.

I still haven't watched Game of Thrones, so all I can think of when I see this is "It's powerful, yeah! Powdered sugaaaah!"

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The more you tighten your grasp, the more systems slip through your fingers.

I finally installed the game largely because my girl and I love your LP!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Part 24: The Discontent in Westeros

So hey, see that supply limit? That’s the plague in action. There are no peasants, there is no food, and any troops I put on the ground run the risk of getting sick and dying, and the game has represented this by dropping the supply limit to its absolute minimum, which means that any army exposed to the conditions will immediately start dying off -- and because you die at a rate commensurate with how far over the supply limit you are, they’ll die fast. Yunkai, and Essos as a whole, has graduated from “nonsense” to “deathtrap” and I want no part of it. My men are staying safe on the boats for now, and any further sieges can wait.

Not great, but not as bad as they have it in Essos either. The long winter is taking a toll on everyone’s health.

The faction situation worsens. Lord Benett for the North, really? Who told you assholes to depose him in favor of me in the first place?

Good news! The plague has begun to burn itself out. For those of you who can’t read a CK2 map, disease is represented by those fuzzy patches you can see in Dhozai and the Horns of Hazzat. The plague started here in Slaver’s Bay, so that means that it’s just a matter of time before it’s finally gone everywhere. With the plague ending, supply limits have gone back up, and I’ve resumed my siege of Yunkai.

The North is a loving nightmare. Every single lord who holds land there has come to me asking for it, as though “because I said so” is a good enough reason for me to hand out thrones. No, literally everybody! You can’t be King in the North! Benett Stark can but you didn’t want him and right now my personal power is sort of shaky so I need to hold on to the land anyway, so you just suck it up and deal with me being in charge.

poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo! loving hell goddamn it! I mean, I’m not gonna lie, I wasn’t looking forward to playing as him because he was a pretty lovely heir, but this still sucks.

Walder -- who I didn’t get to name -- is Arthor’s son. Legitimizing Arthor has turned out to be a pretty big deal; if I hadn’t done that then Daeron would now be the heir (as it is, he’s now second in line).

Robb’s daughter Arya inherits Longclaw and I can’t get it back to give to Walder. That sucks.

But I can give him that dragon egg I’ve been holding on to, so that’s something.

Robb’s funeral is a somewhat muted affair, because I’m currently deep in debt after paying off all my vassals so they’d stop bitching about the levies being raised.

Hey, look who didn’t die of her dragonfire burns! Good for you, Danny!

My faction problems continue to grow, but at least my spymaster Lysara manages to warn off the jackass leading the Benett for the North coalition.

It’s not enough. I’m in so much trouble.

OH FOR gently caress’S SWEET SAKE WHAT THE gently caress ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO DUMP ON MY HEAD, GAME, WE WERE GETTING ALONG SO WELL.

It’s doubly bad, too, because now Walder becomes King of Pentos, meaning he has his own court and can make his own decisions. I get input, but if he decides to do something stupid my means of stopping him are very limited.

I have a son, so the succession is secure even though it bounces around family lines. I name him the way I do because I could really use a miracle right about now.

The gods help those who help themselves.

The vast majority of my fractious vassals are Northmen. Not only does this mean they’re making constant trouble for me with their factions, but it means I can draw only the bare minimum of their levies, because they hate my guts. (A really crappy side-effect of the mega-war system is that due to realms constantly going independent, not only can I not build up the Long Reign bonuses I should have by now, but any that do accumulate get wiped out regularly. I am beginning to hate this system.) The upsides here are tremendous; all of the assholes won’t be my problem any more and Benett, who loves me, will give me a ton of levies and that potential strength will make all the remaining factions sit down and shut up because they can only raise like 6000 men. The downside is, well... if the North mega-wars off and goes independent, I’ll have so few levies left that I’ll basically immediately lose my throne.

Seriously. Hate mega-war. Never playing with it turned on again. It’s a good bigger-picture idea but it just has too many stupid unforeseen consequences.

That’s more like it.

Also, for the record, I would absolutely have killed or at least kidnapped Argella by now, but I’ve got no hope of succeeding if I try. I’m sick of all these malcontents using her as a human banner to rally around to try and restore the Baratheons.

Bad Drogon! Go get in the pit until someone claims you.

Oh my gods yes force the surrender force the surrender force the surrender...

YES! Woohoo!

A lifetime of winter, spent mostly at war and dealing with unruly vassals, has begun to take its toll on Ned. (Also, he just turned 50, so the game shifted him to an old man portrait.)

Nope nope nope not my problem deal with it yourselves I’m staying over here nope.

Hooray! I win!

The game immediately gives me a Wrong Type of Holding warning, because it turns out I only went to war for the City of Yunkai, not, like... the whole thing. All the other holdings in the province remain independent.

I’m so far past caring. As soon as I think I can get away with it, I’m making someone else King of Yunkai and then they can deal with the nonsense.

In fact, y’know what? I’m done for a while. Five years, no wars. Let’s relax.

Questions for the Council: I dunno, I guess suggest plans for peacetime? I intend to work on raising Walder (with Daeron and Baelor as backups), moving the capital to Dragonstone so I can culture shift to Westerosi Valyrian, erasing the debt and building up a warchest, and mostly just waiting around for my various vassals to return to a peace state and rejoin me. I also need the White Walkers to win a few more invasions so they’ll be big enough to War for the Dawn on, so I guess I’m actually rooting against my own guys in the defensive wars they’re helping with. Anything else seem like it needs attention on the homefront?

(It would also be really nice if Rhaegal would heal from his maiming some time in these five years, as I don’t have access to the “because dragon, gently caress you” CB while he’s out of action.)

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

Crusader Kings 2 imbecile here, so pardon me if this seems obvious, but - so was the main goal of forcing a surrender to stop Winter from actively expanding for a bit? What happens if you hypothetically clear them off the board without calling a War for the Dawn (assuming a situation where you hadn't just been decimated by a lifetime of winter and a bonus plague)? Do they just respawn later?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Pangurban posted:

Crusader Kings 2 imbecile here, so pardon me if this seems obvious, but - so was the main goal of forcing a surrender to stop Winter from actively expanding for a bit? What happens if you hypothetically clear them off the board without calling a War for the Dawn (assuming a situation where you hadn't just been decimated by a lifetime of winter and a bonus plague)? Do they just respawn later?

You can't take land in a defensive war. I don't know if you can declare war on Winter with non-Dawn CBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Pangurban posted:

Two main goals. First, they were at 300,000 men strong, and I wanted to cut those numbers down somewhat. This worked; they're at 215,000 now. Clearing 85,000 zombies out of my way for the eventual final battle is a big win. Second, the game has become almost completely unplayable; I have to pause time before clicking on anything or giving any commands, because while time is running, nothing is responsive, everything goes much too slowly and jumps around, and sometimes the game will just give up and freeze completely for a few minutes before recovering and time starts moving again. It's really bad, and my guess is that the White Walkers are the cause; they're running four simultaneous invasions (that I know of), each one has got dozens of allies assisting the defenders -- seriously, did you see that warscore panel? That was for one invasion -- what it boils down to is the entire world is at war simultaneously and basically everyone with land has got armies raised that they're marching around and getting into battles, and CK2 really isn't built for this sort of insane total world war. I was hoping that by ending one invasion I could get at least some nations back to being at peace, to lessen the strain on my computer. That didn't work so well; everyone just jumped in to defend all the other invasions.

We've actually seen what happens if they get cleared off the board without a War for the Dawn. Remember when they were invading from the North, destroyed the Night's Watch, and brought down the Wall, but then ran into my guys who defeated them with contemptuous ease? They just immediately re-declared the invasion, and then did it again after that. They didn't care that they didn't have anyone left to actually invade with. White Walker diplomatic AI is quite simple: "Is there a province adjacent to our borders that's inhabited by the living? INVADE IT." As for respawning, they reinforce through murder. Every time they take a province, their numbers go up. Hand them a loss and they're stuck with the troops they have until they can find somewhere full of new people to kill.

• Locked thread