Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

What’s this?

This is an LP of the Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings II. Due to its strong emphasis on interpersonal relationships, families carrying on feuds for generations with political power as the stakes, constant politicking and backstabbing, and general intrigue, CK2 is sometimes referred to as “the best Game of Thrones video game ever made”. The GoT mod just goes the final step and replaces Eurasia with Westeros and Essos.

I’ve been wanting to play this for a while and none of us are getting any Game of Thrones for a while, so this’ll be a fun substitute.

What’re we doing?

I am going to play as Robb Stark, at the A Clash of Kings (aka Season 2) starting point. As fans of book and show might recall, things do not go well for Robb after this point. My challenge will be to change the course of destiny and get some wins for the Stark family a bit ahead of schedule.

Audience participation!

I also thought it’d be fun to get you guys involved too. I am hereby naming everyone who posts in this thread to my Council. Rather than pause the game and make an update every time a choice comes up (not really a viable option in CK2), I am going to put big-picture questions to you, letting you influence the direction this playthrough takes. As loyal (ahem) councilors, you may also of course offer advice on anything else you see fit.

And in fact, that might be very helpful! If any of you remember the CK2 Tutorial LP (which was never sent to the LP Archive -- someone really ought to request that), you’ll remember me, and that I’m pretty good at this game. Well... I was, anyway. See, I’ve kept up with the expansions as they came out, but I haven’t played the game since I finished that LP. Which means that all of my experience is dated to 2.0.4 and Sons of Abraham, and while I’m aware of some of the newer stuff, there’s the real possibility that I’m going to get blindsided by systems I’m unaware of or not used to. So if you see me heading for a blunder and you want to prevent that... I’m listening.

Incidentally, I think this actually sets up a pretty Robb Stark-esque situation to play from. I’ve got good leadership skills but they’re untested right now, and the realities of ruling might just get me killed if I overlook something and don’t listen to my advisors.

A word on spoilers

Screw ‘em. The show has both overtaken and diverged from the books, and our goal here is to diverge from them both as quickly and dramatically as possible. Anything happening in this LP that actually matches events in either story will be entirely coincidental, especially once we’re a year or two out.

And quite frankly, Dance With Dragons has been out for a long time. Season 7 finished months ago. Use spoiler tags if you think it’s necessary, but I really don’t care.

A note on setup

On game start, the GoT mod gives you several rules and event types you can customize. Here’s what I picked:
  • R+L=J is on.
  • ADWD events are allowed.
  • White Walker invasions may occur.
  • Diseases have been left on the default setting, which promises that the Great Spring Sickness will not recur until at least 50 years past game start.
  • I changed Invite to Court to Open, rather than default, because frankly my problem with Invite to Court mechanics were never that it was too easy to do so.
  • Devil worship is turned off.
  • I left everything else on default settings.

Updates
Part 1: A Clash of Kings
Part 2: A Time for Beginnings
Part 3: The Tides of War
Part 4: A Meeting with Destiny
Part 5: A Time for Coronations
Part 6: A Feast for Wolves
Part 7: The Winds of Winter
Part 8: The Music of Dragons
Part 9: A Thaw in Autumn
Part 10: A Reunion with Families
Part 11: An Interlude in the North
Part 12: The Darkness before Dawn
Part 13: A Winter of Respite
Part 14: A Threat from Within
Part 15: A War between Family
Part 16: A Game of Thrones
Part 17: A Matter of Administration
Part 18: A Storm of Crowns
Part 19: A Laying of Foundations
Part 20: An Ascendancy of Dragons
Part 21: The Flames of Valyria
Part 22: The Chill of Winter
Part 23: The Disease in Essos
Part 24: The Discontent in Westeros
Part 25: A Dream of Peace
Part 26: The Lords of Horses

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Part 1: A Clash of Kings

Greetings, my Lords! Welcome to the first meeting of our council. There are immediate problems to be dealt with; let’s get started, shall we?

As I said: immediate problems. We have to deal with this before literally anything else.

The two ladies in question. Roslin’s not a prize, but she’s... fine, I guess. Being Attractive is the best thing she’s got going for her, and the game loaded her down with negative traits for some reason (Shy I understand, Craven I don’t), so she’d be crap at educating. Jeyne is also Attractive and has better stats and a bit better of a trait selection, but honestly I wouldn’t have picked her as a suitable wife either.

You’ll notice that the game has decided to have Robb and Roslin already married, perhaps to make Walder Frey properly outraged if we don’t “marry” Roslin? (In game mechanics, breaking a betrothal isn’t great, but it’s a survivable insult.) This is one of a few times I noticed the the mod has nudged the timeline here or there, presumably to make this starting point more interesting. I’ll bring up the others later.

So we have three options. If we stay with Roslin, Robb gets some Prestige, everyone’s happy, and if Jeyne turns up with a bastard later we can deal with that. Pick either of the other two options and we’ll take a Prestige hit, Walder Frey will be outraged, his opinion of us will plummet, and he’ll withdraw all his levies. I checked, and he’s got about 4700 men. I’m not sure how many he’s contributed to the cause because he’s a Tully vassal, so his troops show up as part of Hoster Tully’s levies on the Military tab.

By the way, the answer to the obvious question of just how outraged Walder Frey will be is -- I don’t know. I don’t know if there’s a Red Wedding event in this mod. I deliberately didn’t look it up. I think it’s more interesting this way.

If we don’t go with either lady, that makes Robb an eligible bachelor, and we’d be very wise to immediately get him a wife. I have one in mind.

Arianne Martell would be ideal (show-only folk: she’s Doran Martell’s eldest child and the heir to Dorne, due to Dorne having gender-neutral inheritance laws). She’d bring an almost-certain alliance with the Martells, since they hate the Lannister’s guts too, and our children would inherit Dorne as well as the North. Unfortunately...

Since the game treats Robb as married to Roslin until he makes his choice, I couldn’t propose the actual marriage, so I used a betrothal to Bran as a trial balloon. And while they think well of me overall, we can see that they’re indicating some clear dealbreakers. Now, there’s a chance that offering Robb would be accepted. A marriage is better than a betrothal, and Robb is more desirable than Bran; the “political concerns” thing might be that they’re unwilling to become vassals, and they might be happy with a marriage where Arianne’s heirs inherit a kingdom. So that might be enough. We could also entertain the notion of actually offering a matrilineal marriage, allowing the Martells to become the reigning Great House while Bran and Rickon keep the Stark name alive. Obviously not great, but it’s there if we can swallow our pride.

Our next immediate problem is the war. We’ve got about 35,000 men in the field right now, with another 8,000 available. The reason for this is that back in A Game of Thrones/Season 1, Robb initially called his banners when Ned was taken captive, as a show of force (reminding rulers who’d done something you didn’t like that you had an army who could make them regret it was a pretty common power play in feudal times; the point wasn’t to actually go to war, just to make the consequences of your displeasure obvious in the hopes that your liege would stop doing the thing that made you unhappy). Ned was executed before all the available levies had mustered, and waiting around after that wasn’t an option, so Robb marched with the men he had.

We can get those 8,000 men, but to do it we’ll have to disband our army, then re-call the banners and form everyone up. It means a temporary period of weakness while all the levies are scattered, and we’ll have to pull the army back temporarily because the most logical muster point is somewhere in the North, which will leave the Riverlands a bit high and dry with only Lord Tully’s troops to defend them until everyone else can get south again. And we’re fighting somewhat blind here.

I don’t know if it’s a fog of war thing or if the armies will show up once I unpause time (this is all the starting moment of the game, I haven’t let any any time pass at all), but right now, the only army I see in the field is our own. (Those guys in grey are the Brotherhood Without Banners; they have no quarrel with us.)

Now I did look it up, and Tywin can command about 37,000 men. We’re about even right now, and would have the advantage if we got our full levies. But here’s where the mod fudging the timeline really comes into play, because it’s rearranged things to make this starting point as interesting as possible:
  • Joffrey is already betrothed to Margaery Tyrell, and the Tyrells are in this war too as Lannister allies.
  • Renly is already dead, which leaves Stannis with an unopposed run on King’s Landing.
  • Theon has not betrayed us yet, but will surely do so and the Ironborn will then invade.
Tywin should have his army in the Riverlands right now, but he’s not there. If he’s coming to the Riverlands, he leaves King’s Landing wide open for Stannis. If he stays at King’s Landing, that gives us the time we need to disband and reform our army, and we’ve also got a pretty open shot on the Westerlands. That gives us a pretty high-percentage play: hang back, reform the army, use the army which will conveniently be in the North to bitchslap the Ironborn when they land and end that war quickly, then march on down and pillage the Westerlands until Tywin’s had enough of watching his people die, then we go home with the plunder of Casterly Rock and independence for the North.

Alternatively, we can take the army we have right now and march it to King’s Landing, with the intent of waiting until Tywin and Stannis have their setpiece battle and then picking off the winner and sacking the city ourselves. We either let the Ironborn run rampant with the intent of marching back north afterwards to kick them out, or split off some portion of our army and send them north immediately to head off any Ironborn bullshit. Without knowing how many men the Ironborn will send or how many survivors there’ll be at King’s Landing, though, this is risky.

As for taking the war to the Ironborn, it’s technically an option, but not a very good one. The North has not been a naval power since Brandon the Burner burned the Stark fleets, and while we’ll have some boats from the Riverlands and we can hire sellsword ships... I still don’t like it. Who cares about invading Pyke, really?

Questions for the Council:
How shall we handle Robb’s marriage? Roslin, Jeyne, or neither? If neither, who should Robb marry? Arianne Martell? Even if it requires a matrilineal marriage? If not Arianne, who? I’m open to suggestions.
How shall we prosecute the war?
What are our goals in this war? Obviously, we will never bend the knee to the Lannisters and their incest-bred abominations. However, in the event that Stannis is victorious, what then? Are we willing to kneel to a Baratheon king, so long as we can still make the Lannisters bleed, or will nothing short of independence be acceptable? Keep in mind that if our long-term goal is to put a Stark on the Iron Throne, it’ll be much easier to do that by working within the system as a vassal of the Iron Throne.
What should Robb focus on? We need to pick a Focus. What should it be? I have zero experience with Way of Life stuff.

Where are they now?
As a fun added feature, you guys can ask me about lore characters and what they’re up to as our story goes wildly off the rails, and I’ll look them up and report back. For this first one, I’m keeping it simple and we’re just going to check in on the Stark family.

Jon Snow is at Castle Black, with the Night’s Watch. Catelyn, Bran, and Rickon are all safe and sound at Winterfell. If we play smart, they’ll stay there.

Sansa is no longer betrothed to Joffrey, but still at court in King’s Landing with the Lannisters. She’s not a prisoner, so when she turns 16 I can rescue her by inviting her back to my court...

But she’s got a shockingly bad opinion of Robb, so it may not work.

Arya is missing and presumed dead. She may show up again later or she may not. For the time being, we can do nothing for her.

So, my Lords, the War of Five Kings has begun! How shall it continue?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Stay with Roslin. Let's keep our weddings non-Red, and while trying to hook up with Dorne sounds nice, it's a reach, because the Martells will want a matrilineal marriage for their heir. Also anyone with Ambitious and a 20 Subterfuge in our court is, um, dangerous as hell.

Roslin's not great, but she's hardly a disaster.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Dump Roslin, marry Jeyne. She's got better stats and the Dorne deal is unlikely. Plus, we'll maybe get the chance to make the Red Wedding go different if there's an event?

As for the war, side with Stannis.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Red Weddings, to my knowledge, cannot happen in the base mod. The More Decisions submod, on the other hand...
Also, I don't know if it is possible to arrange in Robb's current position, but Lyvia Clegane is never a bad pick for a wife. Alternatively, to get really crazy, Daenerys Targaryen is sometimes available as a wife around the ACoK bookmark. I've literally never played Robb, so I don't know if either of these marriages are feasible at this moment. What is vital, however, is holding the Riverlands; so, if the fun and interesting marriages are off the table, stick with Roslin. If worst comes to worst, have her killed off and marry a better wife.
Finally, I don't know if this still happens, but keep an eye on the Lannister children, they used to convert to the Drowned God for some reason.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Hm. I think we should stick with Roslin for the moment. Perhaps she'll have an accident later, who knows, but for now, we need those Riverlands.

What are our goals in this war? Destruction of the Lannisters. We'll bend to Stannis if it comes to that. We don't care much about the south, regardless-- except in that justice MUST be satisfied. We rule the north. If we rule the north under the Iron Throne, fine. If Stannis can't take the Iron Throne, because, for example, he dies prematurely? Sure, we'll take the Iron Throne ourselves, specifically so we can use it to punish the Lannisters. That is the only goal (besides keeping the North). The Lannisters must be utterly crushed, with the possible exception of the Imp, since the other Lannisters don't like him that much.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Stick with Roslin, she’s not the best but one mediocre wife never hurt anybody...

As for war goal, there is only one king and that king is a king in the north. I’d also say play defensively, and have a war focus (will give +3 martial and give an opportunity for some good war traits)

Also, your lp tutorial thread really helped me learn how to play and dig deeper into the paradox hole I’m in now. So thank you I think.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Stay with Roslin, keep the Freys from cutting the Riverlands off from the North...

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
I haven't played this game or mod in awhile, but shouldn't Robb take the War focus. It improves his combat ability right?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Stay with Roslin. Also bend to Stannis as long as he’s still around. If he gets taken out, go for the Iron Throne yourself.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Stay with Roslin, we can always upgrade later.
Defend our lands, let others squabble elsewhere.
Independence rather than the other choice, ignominious death.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Ha ha ha, oh man. I just did the first play session and... yeah, stuff happened. Lots of stuff.

I'm going to be quite interested to see the answers to the questions I ask next.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Take the Black

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Make the Eight

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How scripted is are our behind the lines events? Can we pre-emptively lock up Theon for his own dong's safety? And purge the Boltons while we're at it?

Take the third option for marriage, try to get Danny, the book-only Dorne princess and whatever the guy above me more familiar with the mod suggested in that order.
If we don't get Ariane, try to see if we get get Sansa to squeeze out a matrileneal marriage somewhere in the Dornish line of succession, then assassinate up.

Offense is the best defense, stab lannisters.

Stay independent. King in da norf!

I have no idea about Way of Life either.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
Marry Roslin

Bend to Stannis The Mannis, and marry Bran off to Shireen if you can

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Regarding the levies, I'm not sure when it was implemented but I think that now your troops auto-replenish when they're in your lands.

Other than that, yeah pick the war focus and make sure you've got commanders appointed I guess?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Huh...

As someone who has never played CK2 nor ever desired to, I gotta say this has gotten my attention.

I'm looking forward to seeing the GoT timeline go gleefully off the rails.

They're all hosed anyways once Winter comes

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

How scripted is are our behind the lines events? Can we pre-emptively lock up Theon for his own dong's safety? And purge the Boltons while we're at it?
You used to be able to, but the devs changed it so that you cannot stop Theon from being sent back to the Iron Islands. I don't know about Bolton, but Roose is probably the best intriguer in the North and has far too many men to fight right now. The Boltons were a necessary evil for the North and they remain so in this game, though I am unsure how much of their treachery is hard-coded and how much is just the regular CK2 experience.

EDIT: Remembered something, in previous versions of the mod, Freys had a bonus to fertility. I don't know if it is still there, but more kids is always good, especially when you're family is increasingly at risk of dying out.

Emissary666 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 20, 2017

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Never read the books, never watched the show, but I have played CK2 lots. Alliances make sense, so stay with the bethroal.

As for the war, I personally think rising to the occasion from the Inside is far easier than as an independent power. As such Bend to Stannis once he achieves victory! As for achieving the victory itself, Charge and attack! To hell and back!

Finally I personally feel like War Focus is appropriate for the moment. Perhaps not in the long run, but long run won't really be a thing unless you let us see Robb's stats and traits.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Part 2: A Time for Beginnings

As per the overwhelming advice of the Council, Robb will honor his marriage contract with Roslin Frey.

The war is clearly the most important thing happening right now, so King Robb sets his ambition as being to win the war, and focuses on war.

Bran needs a childhood focus, and I intend for him to raise a cadet branch of Starks, so I want him groomed for being a vassal who won’t cause problems. He gets Etiquette.

Now it’s time to prosecute the war. We’re going with the un-flashy but solid plan of disbanding our levies and then forming them back up at full strength.

And you’ll notice that we got even more men than had been anticipated. Presumably this is due to the opinion boost I got with the Freys, but who knows?

I’m having all the armies of the North meet up at Moat Cailin, both because it’s lore-appropriate and it’s actually a pretty good central meeting place where I’ll be close to both the North and the Riverlands so I can send men off as needed.

The levies of the Riverlands come in pre-assembled; for those of you who don’t know the game as well, this is because in CK2, you raise your levies from each of your direct vassals, who’s responsible for calling up all the men under him. In the Riverlands, my direct vassal is Hoster Tully, Lord Paramount of the Riverlands, so I get all his strength right away. If you’re wondering why I don’t appoint someone else Lord Paramount of the North to get that advantage everywhere, it’s because in this game, you absolutely need to have personal power and not be dependant on your vassals for everything. If all my levies are dependent on two guys, and they decide they don’t like me, and I have no armies that are personally loyal to me, I’m one short-lived King. So that’s why.

Anyways, I’m going to be keeping the Riverland forces down south, as a bulwark against any possible Lannister raids, and also to pick off any targets of opportunity that present themselves. 20,000 men is a lot.

Stannis triggers his plot event. I believe him, naturally.

In the books, Robb sets this guy free after he marries Jeyne because, y‘know, holding your father-in-law in the dungeons is sorta not cool. I feel bad for him, so he gets house arrest.

Yup.

Incidentally, Theon was never in my court, the bookmark begins after he’s been sent to the Iron Islands.

Yes I know I’m the King, thank you, game.

Jaime does not get house arrest. Note that the game has special dialogue for a Lannister asking, which is amusing.

The Riverlanders win the first skirmish of the war.

The Iron Fleet makes its first appearance, and I change my rally point accordingly.

With the Lannisters still trying to get their forces organized I decide to make an incursion and besiege some territory, but quickly spot a larger army that sends me back to inside my borders. I have no interest in offering them a fair fight when I have another 30,000 men still mustering.

Also, Walder Frey has died. This tends to happen pretty quick in GoT mod plays, as without his plot armor to protect him, the game looks his way and goes “91 years old? No, people didn’t live that long back then” and kills him.

Apparently the power of Plot is too strong, and Gawen Westerling was getting out of my dungeons one way or the other. What the heck.

A council seat opens up and I put Brynden Blackfish on it, he’s cool. I’m still pretty iffy on what the council is for, exactly.

Roose Bolton just told me the Lannisters send their regards, in a non-scripted event.

I didn’t ask him to do this; I’ve got Roose stationed in Winterfell scheming, which uncovers plots. It also has a chance to improve relations with vassals or neighboring rulers, which in this case gives a rather amusing result.

Events escalate down south. The Lannisters have sent a rather small army into my lands, which I’m moving to crush, and Seagard has broken away from my control and gone independent. I don’t know why; I got no messages about it. It just suddenly turned its own color.

I hand the Lannisters their asses. They say one Northman is worth ten southron swords; empirical evidence is beginning to suggest that the ratio is actually much higher than that.

None really, as nothing has changed yet. Advice is always welcome.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

My lord, we can't risk another escape, especially of a prisoner like Jaime Lannister. Therefore, I recommend that we execute him at once! How many times over has he earned it? If a man like Ned Stark is dead while a thing like the Kingslayer lives, what justice is there?

Do it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

My lord, we can't risk another escape, especially of a prisoner like Jaime Lannister. Therefore, I recommend that we execute him at once! How many times over has he earned it? If a man like Ned Stark is dead while a thing like the Kingslayer lives, what justice is there?

Do it.
This is very good advice, but I'm in fact working off a five-update backlog from that first play session (a lot happened in under two years of game time) and events will transpire, in one way or another, to make it moot. Still, I just wanted to say it's appreciated and astute and would have been followed, if possible.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

This is very good advice, but I'm in fact working off a five-update backlog from that first play session (a lot happened in under two years of game time) and events will transpire, in one way or another, to make it moot. Still, I just wanted to say it's appreciated and astute and would have been followed, if possible.

That does not sound good at all

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
It's been forever since I played the mod, but I think Seagard declined to join the war and sits it out as independent, but comes back more or less automatically after the war ends.

The increased levies could come from the relation boost with the Freys, a general small boost in relations from the prestige bump and the increased Martial stat.

How many men do the Ironborn have anyway? Maybe leaving a part of the Northern army up north and marching the rest south to the Riverlands is feasible? (It's certainly good for us that Balon immediately started poo poo instead of waiting for every man under arms to be south of the Twins.)

And let's not try to execute Jaime lest he tries to demand a trial by combat. He still has his good hand at this point.

Stupid idea: try to start Bran's cadet branch by marrying him to Dany. :v:

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

CapnAndy posted:

A council seat opens up and I put Brynden Blackfish on it, he’s cool. I’m still pretty iffy on what the council is for, exactly.

:eng101: time!

As of conclave the council can be empowered, allowing them to vote on stuff like law changes and going to war. You may not have any council laws set, which means they're basically the same as always except occasionally every few years your vassals launch factions to increase their power, which tends to end with all of them in jail/dead/castrated/what have you. Strong vassals (they have a fist by their portrait) get an opinion malus of you for not being on the council, even if they're completely inept. You may want to give them a position anyway, because if you have the council law that lets them vote on war declarations council members cannot join factions. Until your ruler dies or you go against their vote on something, which lets them do it for a bit anyway. The little icon by their face in the council screen is how they'll vote generally. You can hover over it for a tooltip about it.

Oh, and if you're in a regency the council votes on everything, even if they normally don't.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

frankenfreak posted:

It's been forever since I played the mod, but I think Seagard declined to join the war and sits it out as independent, but comes back more or less automatically after the war ends.

Correct. This happens with any war, like how the Iron Throne's at war now.

Also marrying anyone to Dany isn't going to work out, she's plot coded to just flat-out not marry until different potential plot triggers have passed. And she'll want matrilineal.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Interesting! So correct me if I'm wrong: It's an extension of the council I'm familiar with, where you give people posts based on their ability scores and then put them to work, and those guys are all council members, right? And then stuff like "Advisor" is where you either stack the council with favorable votes or give sinecures to idiots who want to be on the council but aren't good for anything? And then those dudes don't add anything to your state ability scores?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I'm not sure if you noticed but the loving "Mountain that Rides" died in that battle and I would like to see who killed him.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Do it.

You fool, our King's mother has already addressed this issue! Sansa, our goodly sister, is still held captive by the Lannisters in King's Landing, and the only thing promising her continued good health is Jaime's own.

Also keeping him as a prisoner nets us a 5% war score. If Sansa gets executed, take Jaime's head off, though.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I'm not sure if you noticed but the loving "Mountain that Rides" died in that battle and I would like to see who killed him.

He's fine. He'll just come back in a year as a bloated rape zombie.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Why is Maege (Mormont, presumably) the Master at arms instead of Rodrik Cassel?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

CapnAndy posted:

Interesting! So correct me if I'm wrong: It's an extension of the council I'm familiar with, where you give people posts based on their ability scores and then put them to work, and those guys are all council members, right? And then stuff like "Advisor" is where you either stack the council with favorable votes or give sinecures to idiots who want to be on the council but aren't good for anything? And then those dudes don't add anything to your state ability scores?

Correct, it’s the exact same council so you want competent people running it, but incompetent vassals will want seats and be quite angry if they don’t get a seat. You’ll want to put them on as advisors but if you can’t you’ll have to find a position you are ok with being crap. It adds a lot to the vassal dynamic and internal politicking.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I really didn't! Where'd you even see that? I'll look him up tonight and see what I can find out.

Kopijeger posted:

Why is Maege (Mormont, presumably) the Master at arms instead of Rodrik Cassel?
Because at this point in the game the council confuses the heck out of me and I'm not messing with it.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

CapnAndy posted:

I really didn't! Where'd you even see that? I'll look him up tonight and see what I can find out.

The summary for the Battle of Grey Stone Holdfast shows a portrait of a dead knight for Fang Tower (under Tywin Lannister's portrait). At this bookmark, the Mountain should be that knight.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

jerman999 posted:

The summary for the Battle of Grey Stone Holdfast shows a portrait of a dead knight for Fang Tower (under Tywin Lannister's portrait). At this bookmark, the Mountain should be that knight.
With a crest of three black dogs on a yellow field, too. Yup, that's him. Totally missed that!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Part 3: The Tides of War

I failed to screenshot it, but the Night’s Watch called for aid and I would have taken an opinion hit with all of my vassals if I ignored it, so now I’m in a third war at the same time. Here’s Mance’s armies. Hi Mance!

Seagard is at least still fighting the Lannisters, as is the Brotherhood with Banners, so that’s good. They’re losing, though, but every Lannister they kill is one that I don’t have to deal with.

Lots going on in this screenshot. I’ve made another incursion into Lannister territory, only to find another giant Lannister army that I want nothing to do with. Meanwhile, the Riverlands continue to dissolve, as vast swaths are now breaking away.

Incidentally, it is currently October. The war began in March.

Theon, buddy. It’s not gonna work this time.

Asha’s men have arrived, and I’ve decided to put 10,000 men on Ironborn duty and sent the rest south.

Yeah, not so easy when we actually fight back, is it?

Okay, I was not expecting Victarion, and he’s got slightly more men than I can handle. What I decide to do about it is dance my 10,000 around, waiting for attrition and sieges to bring that army down to a size I can defeat in battle. So that’s what’s going to be going on up North for the foreseeable future.

The forces I’ve sent south have arrived. Now I have enough men to stand off even the largest Lannister army.

And there goes the rest of the Riverlands. The Tullys and Freys have stayed loyal, but basically nobody else. I don’t think Hoster Tully is doing a very good job, personally.

Not a concern at the moment, but it’s worth keeping in mind for if and when this is all over and we need something else to do.

It is now April, in the second year of the war, and the constant worries are getting to Robb.

Hoster Tully dies.

Seagard declares for Joffrey. Check out that Lannister doomstack, too -- I can’t field an army that size.

And then I get a flood of notifications as every rebel Riverlander goes to Joffrey too (I didn’t screenshot all of them, consider this a representative sample).

This is looking... not that promising.

Do you want to know what happens next? Because lucky you guys, I’m going to post another update later today, and then the final update I’ve got backlogged will go up tomorrow, so that I can get advice and then get some playtime in over Thanksgiving weekend.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
Yes.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Welp, we're hosed. Please, do show exactly how horribly we will die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
The whole Riverlands switching to support Joffrey is common and quite problematic, and I don't think the mod devs want to fix it at all, which is a shame because it makes no lore sense.

• Locked thread